Old November 24, 2001, 19:06   #31
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 11:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, some of his points were valid ... but perhaps a little too dismissive for the more ardent fans around here. In turn, they have been dismissive of all of his points ... and that's not fair.

The automated workers system is a borderline farce ... I've had workers walk in circles for a few turns trying to decide what to do, I've had them camped in my cities while there has been a stack of work to be done, and I've had them all run off to the far flung reaches of my empire, all destiend for the same square, with no real sense behind why they were leaving all the un-developed land right HERE.

I have found that to get a half decent job, I have to manage each worker ... and that's micromanagement. His point here is valid.

I'm not going to agree with his diplomacy and trading, nor the combat system. I'm not saying that they are perfect, but they do the job. I'd like to see more options under diplomacy, but I can typically wheel and deal sufficiently to feel like something is going on along diplomatic lines.

And the trading seems to work perfectly ... even down to the game I played where I had no coal at all. Now, that was an odd modern age

Zones of Control: Hm. I'm tempted to lean in his direction on this one. Having a pot-shot and someone as they zip by doesn't quite cut it ... although the strategy and tactics adjustment to cater for this is a painless solution.

Overall I love the game sufficently to play it over Empire Earth. It has flaws and some weaknesses, but it also leans heavily towards the community ... and EE does not. I think there will be some great things in the future. Maybe nano-technology? :drool:

All of that to oneside, try not to be too dismissive guys. Posting this guys frustrations and slamming them down one by one doesn't accomplish anything but a "Us" and "them" situation.
Old November 24, 2001, 19:20   #32
sachmo71
Warlord

Why do people think there should be terraforming in Civ III? Terrain is one of the biggest factors in the development of civilizations. Hey, that word is in the title! Civilization! By george, I think I've got it.
I remember another 4X game where I could terraform that wasn't SCI-FI. It was called Masters of Magic, and there were cool spells that could turn hill into grasslands, and raise volcanoes right inside your enemies cities.
Old November 24, 2001, 19:51   #33
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 12:25
Maybe Civ IV should have a Wiccan government.
Old November 24, 2001, 20:12   #34
History049
Emperor

Local Time: 17:25
Unless some good cheats appear, the game is too hard for some to play
Old November 24, 2001, 20:26   #35
Lou Wigman
Warlord

Local Time: 03:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
There are one eyed people and then there are one eyed people. Don't bother casting slurs on me personally, it shows your own immaturity. I have been playing civ and its clones from the very first year that they were released. I played civ2 at deity level till the cows came home. I played CTP1 for about 12months (a great and innovative game even though the interface was terrible). I played CTPII for about 2 weeks. I played civ3 for about 1 week. There is simply nothing here to hold my attention. As I have said and I will say it again, this game is a serious step BACKWARDS from CTP. AMEN!
Old November 24, 2001, 20:38   #36
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, when I buy a game, usually I'm under the assumption that it actually runs. I normally don't spend $54 to watch a blinking screen. Firaxis, Infogames, and Best Buy are not charities, and if Firaxis is too lazy to properly betatest their own game, they don't deserve my business.

I'm exchanging Civ 3 for something more useful tomorrow; maybe a [i]set[/] of coasters.

As an aside, I was given EU 2 yesterday, and have to say that it surpassed my expections. If you haven't already, pick up EU 2 when you return Civ 3. You won't be dissapointed.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 24, 2001, 20:49   #37
Wyrmo
Settler

hm...
Just felt that I had to say something about "uglying" the landscape

In CTP2 you also had to build roads on EVERY SINGLE SQUARE. Why?
Because it gave large benefits?
NO
Because the pathing-system was so screwed up that to make sure your unit would not move up some mountain and get stuck there for a full turn instead of taking the maglev around it, you had to build everywhere.
And the Civ3 curvy road-network looks a helluvalot better than the CTP straight lines
Just my oppinion
Old November 25, 2001, 22:49   #38
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 18:25
A civ3 curvy road network is okay, it is the curvy rail network that bugs me. Rail networks built to look like road networks are stupic, rail road should be straight lihes.
Old November 25, 2001, 23:06   #39
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 10:25
Re: I want my money back!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Wigman

The flaws in the game far outweigh its good features. It is massively inferior to CTP in terms of game features. if only CTP had a better AI!
If CTP had a better AI it would still be a crappy game with a better AI!!! The only good CTP ever did was public works. Other than that both games are a disgrace!

Quote:
I guess my civ days are over.
What a shame......maybe you can go whine in the CTP1 and 2 forums then.
Old November 26, 2001, 01:16   #40
codemast01
Chieftain

about disbanding a city :

I've done it before. If memory serves me, all you have to do is build a settler when your city has a pop of one. At some point before the settler is finished, remove the one worker working on your city's terrain so that your city's net growth is zero. When the settler is built, the game will give an option to disband the city.

Now about terraforming :

Why should civ3 have this ablility? In reality, people have accomplished great things that are just as hard if not harder then terraforming a mountain. (Like going to the moon) So why not allow mountain terraforming but make it take about the same time to finish as a wonder and perhaps cost money too. I also support the return of all other terraforming except the tundra terraforming. (Yes this means allow desert terraforming) Desert condition can be helped by irrigation but nothing will make the tundra environment less cold.

Last edited by codemast01; November 26, 2001 at 02:14.
Old November 26, 2001, 02:49   #41
PhillipII
Settler

Local Time: 03:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Fine i will admit i never played CTP for more than a few hours before i lost interest. Therefore i guess i should withdraw my criticizm of the game.
On the other hand every other Civ, this one included, has instantly captured my interest and been responsible for me forgetting to eat lunch/dinner multiple times.

i dont see why building roads and railways everywhere is being shot down by some people. Have alook at some rural railway maps, they are everywhere and they dont go in straight lines. they meander about so as to get as close as possible to every suburb, farmland and population/resource centre. Without it Lumberjacks (for example) would have to carry thier wood all the way to the factory and then to the city.

Personally i enjoy micromanaging my Workers. I dont see how anyone who didnt could enjoy Civ, its such a big part of the game.

Ive hit a crash bug several times but there is after all an Autosave.

umm thats it i guess
Old November 26, 2001, 02:55   #42
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Bullshit

CTP is a far better game than most of you losers would like to admit.

Have any of you ever played CTP beyond the 1.2 patch? Ever tried PBEM????? Sheeesh the dudes at Craptivision were really quick getting there patches out and a complete Mplayer version!!!
Plus the Game was cheaper!!!!! Ever tried PBEM? Its freakin Awesome........better than any Civ2...Civ3...shiet. I wouldnt give up my CTP PBEM for a Civ4!

Guess what: The people at Firaxis/IG want to squeeze more bucks outta you morons from a EP. Civ3 is not a great game. Its loaded with bugs and gameplay short commings and some of you who defend it with every breath probably havent even played it yet! (Naturally you would be playing it if you 'loved' it so much)

Granted......I played the game. Its pure false glory. The AI cheats and the notion that aircraft cant sink trime' is pure Dung! I can point out 100 other defects in the game that will have people returning it to the store 30 days from now.

Want me to?
Old November 26, 2001, 03:00   #43
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 13:25
Quote:
Want me to?
If you could point out 100 valid concerns, I'll give you a Gold Star! Really, it would be awesome to have a Top 100 list that I could just cut and paste in various threads.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 26, 2001, 03:44   #44
faded glory
King

Yin did I detect Sarcasm in that last post

Regardless I think some people here have some issues. They will defend IG with every post and totally ignore the faults. Plus I get tired of the inncessant Call to Power bashing. Most of the people who claim it sucked were newbies who bought it cause the box looked cool and never went on to the Mplayer versions.
Old November 26, 2001, 03:59   #45
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 13:25
No. Actually I'm serious. I would love a nice, concise Top 100 Things Wrong with Civ3 roughly in order of importance. I think that would be a very cool thing to cut and paste when people ask 'Should I buy Civ3?' or 'There are really no problems with the game.'

It would save us all a lot of time. Not being sarcastic. It would also serve as a kind of Public Manifesto to have things drastically improved by the first few patches. You up for it?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 26, 2001, 04:05   #46
faded glory
King

Sure make a thread add a few issues you dont like

Ill add my 2 cents accordingly
Old November 26, 2001, 04:12   #47
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:25
Quote:
Originally posted by n.c.
Apparently there are a number of Civ III designers, like Libertarian, on these boards. Why else would people personally attack/insult the thread starter? I'd hate to think they were petty, childish buttheads.

yeah, count me in as a designer.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 26, 2001, 04:14   #48
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Granted......I played the game. Its pure false glory. The AI cheats and the notion that aircraft cant sink trime' is pure Dung
'trime' is trireme? are you sure you played the game?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 26, 2001, 04:24   #49
faded glory
King

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

'trime' is trireme? are you sure you played the game?
Who cares what it is

Its just as stupid as the other early ships.
Old November 26, 2001, 06:42   #50
TheRascalKing
Chieftain

Well maybe the civ3 AI is dastardly like YOU guys are, but what about me? Spending countless hours on civ2 as the egyptians just trying to keep the Babylonians alive while the Germans pound away at their cities...valiantly defending the final Aztec city against the American onslaught with a couple of legions and a phalanx in a well-placed fort, ensuring their survival until the end of the game...

I'm NICE to the AI! Well...most of the AI. Now sometimes the AI forces me to destroy it pathetically. I don't like having to destroy my former allies because they placed a city in MY territory (something I would NEVER do to them!).

Anyway, I think there's a very simple solution to my problem, but in solving my problem it would make the game less of a challenge to MOST of the other civ3 players. My problem would be solved by making terrain features dictate political boundaries (kinda like real life). Mountain ranges, rivers, lakes, and other such things would block or greatly slow culture progression, and wide open spaces would greatly hasten it. But what's good for me isn't good for everyone, so I'm not too upset.

<~~Balloons are the BEST!
Old November 26, 2001, 07:10   #51
LaRusso
King

Quote:

Who cares what it is

Its just as stupid as the other early ships.
oh sorry, silly me. you should be able to build battleships immediatelly, right?
Old November 26, 2001, 08:04   #52
-AC-
Settler

Without even reading the whole post, I just one thing to say:

Yer a whinie.
Old November 26, 2001, 18:00   #53
Peets
Warlord

I am a big fan of Civ 2 and I was really looking forward to Civ 3.
But now playing at regent level and not on Chiefstain level I noticed lots of bugs with dissapoint me...
I hope a patch makes it better.
Old November 26, 2001, 19:22   #54
Ralf
King

Re: I want my money back!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Wigman
* It is not possible to disband an unwanted city.
Oh yes, it is. Just adjust the food-output so it never produces any surplus. Then go ahead and build settlers and workers until the city disappears altogether.

Last edited by Ralf; November 26, 2001 at 19:30.
Old November 26, 2001, 20:07   #55
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:

I can point out 100 other defects in the game that will have people returning it to the store 30 days from now.

Ha. For every 100 defects you say "exist" in Civ3. I could find 5 times a many in CTP (Call to Poo)!

PBEM and MP. Yah works great in CTP2! Too bad CTP is only 1/2 a game. The only way it can be fun is via PBEM or MP! Those games just aren't playable in single player. Believe me I've tried.
CTP1 and 2 now occupy the illustrious position of lying next to the cat box in my basement. In my opinion, that's too good for them.
Old November 26, 2001, 20:51   #56
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
CTP is a far better game than most of you losers would like to admit.
Here's something that a lot of you guys might find a bit surprising, I know it sure shocked me. In terms of number of posts what's the most popular forum on this site? Off Topic loses out to AC Multiplaying, but that in turn is just behind, wait for it, CTP Multiplaying. I've never played a multiplayer game and it looks like I've missed out on something. If the CTP multiplayer version wasn't good, there wouldn't be so many people playing it.
Old November 26, 2001, 21:28   #57
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Dornan
Unless some good cheats appear, the game is too hard for some to play
Well, personally, yes, the game is hard, but that's why I play on chiefton . That doesn't make it a bad game -- you just may not be able to (having been a diety player in Civ 2) skip right to diety in Civ 3. If you mean that Chiefton is too hard, well, that's the fun of the game -- being challenged.

-- adaMada
Old November 26, 2001, 21:51   #58
Bakunine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada

Well, personally, yes, the game is hard, but that's why I play on chiefton . That doesn't make it a bad game -- you just may not be able to (having been a diety player in Civ 2) skip right to diety in Civ 3. If you mean that Chiefton is too hard, well, that's the fun of the game -- being challenged.

-- adaMada
Well i usually played CIV2 in King or Emperor (althought in MP many times only with humans i played Deity) and i have no problem beating CIV3 at regent level. My next game will be in monarch.

I wouldn't mind that i (we) couldn't at all beat the AI in Chieftain even with the production penalty the AI gets. Actually i dream the day a game like that comes out.
Old November 26, 2001, 23:52   #59
History049
Emperor

Even chiefton is too hard for me. So yes, cheats are needed for a small percentage of us.
Old November 27, 2001, 02:57   #60
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Hey Simpleton, you certainly do live up to your name. I bet you never downloaded the patches for CTP. I also reckon that you have never played ctp with wes's med mod. As I said in an earlier post I hated CTP at first but when my civ2 disc broke I was forced to play. With the mods and patches it is a much deeper game than even civ3, and single player also becomes a real challenge. Hey Saddam I agree with all you said, some people just haven't given the game a chance, the majority of whom have barely played it.

On the other hand CTP2 is absolutely crap, even with the mods it still sucks.

Right now I am into civ3, but there are so many bugs. The worst one being the gold per turn. It is an unbelievably assenine flaw. For you who want to cheat just demand 100000000 per turn from the AI, keep hitting the button and eventually they will agree. I could not beleive it was true at first, but sure as day is day it works.

Nuke those trimes.