Old November 24, 2001, 07:24   #1
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 18:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Badly needeed Civ3 interface fixes
Civ3 is a great game. For the first two eras, or so. Late game is a freaking nightmare, because the interface does everything to maximize micromanagement. The following, at least, should be Firaxis should fix:

1. Unit grouping is not available. If you can't figure out how to group combat units for moving them around. at least, for the sweet love of Jesus allow us to group workers!

2. So I save money to upgrade all my pikemen to riflemen. I choose mass upgrade. And spend half the next turn re-fortyfying all those upgraded units in cities. Please! If a unit is fortified in a city it should bloody well stay fortified, not activate, when upgraded. You got this right in SMAC so why introduce this broken behaviour now?

3. So you got that strategic resource, and what to fill your build queue before the inevitable war begins. But the goddam queue moves the units up and down when you add them to the queue, so you have to play hide-and-seek with the mouse for evey unit you add.

4. I get _one_ queue to play with? Have a choise of _at least_ five different queues, which can be saved and loaded into different games.

5. Can we please get a strategic resource finder on the map? Playing a large or huge map makes hunting all over the map to find that elusive strategic resource you just discovered is a royal pain in the but. Oh, and then it turns out it's hidden under a city, so you have to check each and evey city out too! Fix this already!

6. I have some workers on a tile. There must be a way to know which work, which just stand there admiring the scenery and how many turns there are left till the work is done. The SMAC way with a special box showing what all units on any chosen tile were up to was just fine.

7. I want to check out where a specific city is. So I call up the city finder. Guess how that sorts the cities? Alphabetic order? No. Alphabetic order by civilisation? No. AGE! I don't have to scroll through a list of hundereds of names looking for my city if I just know how old it is compared to all other cities on the map! This is stupid beyond belief.

8. In the F1 empire management screen, if I choose to sort cities by production, they should bloody well stay sorted that way untill I choose otherwise.

9. So you have a massive amount of workers and units on the map. The new turn comes around, and the computer zips from one unit to the other in seemingly random order - you end up fortifing half you worker force, especially if you've mass upgraded the turn before. Active workers first, military units later!

10. Give us a turn summary so that we can go to those cities that have gone into unrest or have had pollution one by one, fixing the problem, instead of desperately trying to remember where things happened as the notices flash by during the AI turn.

11. Small nag, but _please_ let me turn the stupid palace upgrading off.

Please add any interface blooper I might have missed to this thread.

Last edited by moomin; November 24, 2001 at 10:38.
Old November 24, 2001, 10:43   #2
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 18:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hate to follow up on my own post, but I forgot one of the worst offenses:

12. So my workers are all set to hut down and clean up pollution. Fine. They should STAY THAT WAY until I tell them differently, not change back waiting for orders every single time there happens not to be any pollution for them to deal with.