Old November 24, 2001, 18:26   #1
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 17:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The best game of the century - civ 3 : explain
What does everyone think the best and greatest new features are?

Civilisation 3 fulfills my expectations, I wasn't expecting too much which may explain this..

If anyone starts being annoying and ranting about negative silly faults like the rest of this forum, then they can expect a few ICBM's heading onto their house

GOOD POINTS:

great strategic luxury and special resources
excellent trade route road network
16 civs playable at once!

a proper combat system :
a) multiple ranks and varied movement (no use of roads in enemies land /fast cavalry attacks)
b) artillery bombardment allowing strategic bombin of cities as well as units.
c)upgrading, no more fiddly movement to disband a unit

much less annoying micromanagement which meant you could only finish your civs game in 3 months minimum -

as in : bases losing production through support ,
spies and caravans being moved around in circles as you forget where they're meant to be going over 30 turns.

I haven't even got to the industrial era proper as yet, so i'm sure my list will grow.. these are just some things to 'tickle the tastebuds'

I'm sure most of us agree, this is the best of the best in civ games to date

Admiral Peter
Old November 24, 2001, 18:45   #2
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
I can agree with you that Civ III is an excellent and brilliant game, but remember that there's about 98 years left of this century. That means in year 2099 we should have Civ XX running on our machines (formula: one Civ sequel every 5 years). At least one of them has to be better than the current Civ III. But there's also some other matters supporting the fact that Civ III isn't perhaps the best game of the 21st century; all the bugs and essential functions missing. Nore has the game MP yet, so it can't beat any other games as a MP strategy game. So IMO it would be more correct to call Civ III the current master of turnbased strategy games.
Old November 24, 2001, 19:01   #3
Deathray
Warlord

Civilization 3 is a great game, but I still say that Deus Ex is better. It is a game with such great gameplay combined with such a deep storyline (everytime I go back I notice some little detail) that I cannot see it being deposed in the near future. Well, maybe Deus Ex 2. We live to hope (or maybe we hope to live).
Old November 24, 2001, 19:17   #4
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Well, I think its ONE of the best games in the last 100 years at least, its just a manner of speech really.. and there wasn't much competition in 1901 - they had real wars in those times instead.

I don't think turn based strategy games work well with MultiPlayer, You both have to be very patient with turns taking up to 10 minutes at least and if one of you isn't very experienced it can take forever to finish a good game.
In theory MP civ would be great, with mass sea and land battles and joint alliances against another civ.
Another problem is you'd need to have at least 5 players i think, unless you wanted computer civs though they would unbalance the game, giving one human player a better advantage. Getting all 5 to play for a week could be tricky to get everyone together.

Multiplayer seems to work well with First Person Shooter games, Command and Conquer type games, MMORPGS etc but I think its good Firaxis are spending a lot of time to make civ3 MP work well.

I'm sure they will make a civilisation 3 MP version, I hope it will work and be fun and alsot that I can find someone to play it with :>
How about a civ3 MP party in a games cybercafe in London when its out? ( I know the perfect place)
Old November 24, 2001, 19:54   #5
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Deus ex is just another FPS game from what i hear, which is good, but Strategy is more interesting to me at least.

Other good points of civ3:

the Culture simulation :
this must be the best new feature, although it could be extended further with things like war reducing your culture.

Small wonders, these are good , especially Wall street, the Forbidden palace.

Its a shame they didn't add any new ordinary improvements though but they do more things now like culture and trade abilities so its fine.

New winning schemes are excellent too, now none of us will sleep till we've completed each method ! which is the bad thing about civ3, or is that the best thing