Old March 23, 2000, 15:46   #1
Stuff2
Warlord

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Infrastructure
As cities grows larger they autmatically get divided inte more and more quarters. I think that this would be a better indicator on the size of an city.

The infrastructure of an city is very important. U need roads, electricity, telephones, TV-network, computernetwork, water, sewer systems, maybe a subwaysystem, bussystem maybe a streetcar system.
These are things that exist in alot of cities. My thought is hard to explain but i'll give an example.

U get the technology to build a subwaysystem in your city. The city have the size of 54 quarters but u can't afford to connect all off them in the subwaysystem. U decide to start in 12 quarters. The construction takes a few turns and costs alot of money, but when it's done the traffic jams get's a bit less annoying and pollution and caraccident's decrease. This make the citizens a bit more happy and your accident bill is less expensive. Twenty years later your city has grown and u now have 64 quarters and the trafficproblems are horrific. Your economy is quite good (and your skill in building subways are better than ever). U decide that it's time for you to expand the subwaysystem.
U do so and again it's the same thing.

It's the same thing with energy and sewersystem. U have to expand the system when it's needed. For instance not expanding sewersystem would be a medical hazzard.

There are a few categories of infrastructure
- Traffic (Roads, rail)
- Communication (TV, Internet, Phones)
- Support (Water, sewer system, Energy)

Any thought?
Old March 23, 2000, 23:05   #2
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 10:17
Too much micromanagement, I'm afraid. In another game...sure. But it's not Civ's domain.

- MKL
Old March 25, 2000, 15:50   #3
Stuff2
Warlord

With good AI you can hand over this problems to the governor.
Old March 25, 2000, 19:29   #4
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:17
Good AI?
The same govenor that changes the hanging gardens to a horseman one turn before completion just cause he wants to? the one that builds king richard's crusade in all cities that produce 1 trade and 1 shield per turn while all other cities build obsolete elephants?

I wonder,
does a 100000000000 Mhz Pentium MCIXXX with 256,256,256 MB of RAM makes the AI work better than a 120 Mhz pentium 586 with 16 MB RAM?

----------------
Agaiin, this is not a signature as you
may think. I write here something else
each and every time.
Blah blah blah.
Old March 25, 2000, 20:45   #5
fryman
Settler

Of course that kind of a computer wouldn't make the AI better, but you can make the AI stronger with better programming. You can program the AI to do whatever you want to.
Old March 26, 2000, 02:15   #6
OrangeSfwr

MM would be hell. Try SimCity3000. Although I do like the idea of some kind of city management as I stated in another thread.

Sirot - Pentium does not have a 586 processor. Typo?
------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

[This message has been edited by OrangeSfwr (edited March 26, 2000).]

Old March 28, 2000, 15:21   #7
Stuff2
Warlord

The system i'm thinking of makes it impossible for the governor to change from making a switch from a wonder to a horseunit.

First of all, the present unit system is silly. I'm for the recruitment idea.
Second. When building something in a city, u buy material and hire labor from the city.
U can't switch project, but u should be able to have several improvements going on at the same time. And u can stop any project.

Governors don't build wonder's.
U do. But you can do it at the same time as the governor builds improvements.

Just as people demand goods they also will demand improvements.

But i actually have one more point. Has there been a civ where everthing has been working perfect all the time? No. Bad governors has existed troughout human history.

Old March 28, 2000, 21:58   #8
OrangeSfwr

My ideas exactly. Check out "City Production", a thread i started a few days ago. I posted a lot of ideas on city production and I think a few people added to it. Great to have someone else to back me up about the production aspect of Civ. Hope to see your ideas there.

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old April 5, 2000, 00:08   #9
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:17
Local Date: October 30, 2010
To make this game worth making a third version, Firaxis must include groups building improvements and such without your construction. For example, in the U.S. today in a capitalistic system, the government does not build supermarkets or banks. They may have restrictions, but it is private enterprise. The game should include this and in the past have vassals, wealthy artisans that do the same in earlier time periods. I do not want to build another supermarket in Civ III in a democracy. I want one of my wealthy citizens to do it himself.