Buy a banana instead 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 26, 2001, 00:18   #1
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 17:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I haven't bought CivIII
I have played SMAC and CivII, but not any CtP. I loved CivII. SMAC was fair, but not as enduring as CivII.

Any advice from those who have it, love it, or hate it?
Old November 26, 2001, 00:25   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 13:30
Giving the title the benefit of the doubt, I voted to wait for the patch. However, 'It's crap' nearly won my vote. It depends, I supppose: Are you the kind of gamer who is just simply happy to have something new to play? Well, then, you might enjoy Civ3 for a while at least.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 26, 2001, 00:42   #3
DaShi
Emperor

I tend to abandon games, if they don't impress me enough. Though I actually buy very few games. Usually the best games I've bought, I have waited until sometime after their release (CivII, Baulder's Gate II, Deus Ex, AoEII), while those I have bought immdediately tend to flop even with the patch (SMAC, Black and White).

Yin, you were right on the money with Black and White. I never even downloaded the patch. The game just seemed to get so boring so quickly. How many times can you watch your stupid creature run back and forth?

Anyway, I giving some serious consideration to Empire Earth now.
Old November 26, 2001, 01:15   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 13:30
Well, wait for the Gold Edition of Civ3 (if it gets that far). By then, it might be worth your time and money. As for EE, I can honestly say the SP games are quite good! The MP stuff is still being sorted out. Never hurts to wait a few months on *any* game, though. Ah, yes. Black and White. Had nearly (and blissfully) forgotten about the whole thing.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 26, 2001, 01:35   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 10:30
My opinion on the game seems to be fairly close to Yin's. In that a patch could actually finish Civ3, but it's still not a proven. What makes everybody think that patching will save the game? Now I'm not saying it won't, but from what we have already seen of Civ3 we should think quite the contrary to that. So my advice to you is to at least wait for people's opinions on how well the patch improves (comletes?) Civ3.

IMO, the best way to find out if the game is good or not is to read only the worst reviews of the game. If those certain people find the game to be pitiful what makes you think that you won't find the game to be terrible?

So far my experience with Civ3 has been frustrating and dull. At first I couldn't get the game working on my computer; then when I finally was able to play the game I was very dissapointed. The game just didn't live up to my expectations and that's in more than one category. In fact, I haven't even played Civ3 (without Korn's mod) in over a couple of weeks.

Quite possibly the only thing that might save this game will be modding, but then again you can't change the core of the game with the modding that is available to users. It's just a shame that the editable source code wasn't included with the game. If it were I could promise you that Civ3 would have already been finished to our standards by now, considering all of the fabulous contributors there are to the game.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Last edited by TechWins; November 26, 2001 at 01:48.
Old November 26, 2001, 01:43   #6
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think there should be an option in between "its well worth the money" and "its crap".

The thing that is driving me nuts at the moment is the un-user friendly advisor screens.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 26, 2001, 07:34   #7
Crom
Chieftain

We all know the game has not matched the expectations of Civ fans in general, but Civ II was always going to be virtually impossible to beat.

Civ III may not have had the impact of it's illustrious ancestor but I haven't spent the last few years playing Civ II for nothing. Civ III still gives me what I want in a game, and I for one think that it is £34.99 well spent.
Old November 26, 2001, 08:04   #8
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 19:30
civ3 is like civ2. You need to get used to it and you won't understand it all immediately.

I think it needs a patch indeed.

civ3 has everything civ2 had, and more. but not 'more of the same'

buy it.
Old November 26, 2001, 08:18   #9
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 18:30
I think the problem with civ3 is that a lot of people got their expectations too high. Civ3 is fun IMHO, difficult to win even at Warlord level, but challenging. It is different than civ2, but isn't that supposed to be? Otherwise why make civ3....

Maybe it could use a patch. Some things aren't fully developed yet. But wait for the official path, otherwise you might get a law suit....