Old December 7, 2001, 19:08   #61
Excelsior
Warlord

Local Time: 11:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm playing now. I installed the patch, btw. It shouldn't have that much effect on gameplay since the game was started from a scenario. In other words, all of the tweaks made to the Civ3Mod.bic file will not be incorporated into the game. It should fix things like the science advisor bug, though.
Old December 8, 2001, 16:28   #62
Excelsior
Warlord

The reign of Excelsior III!
Xsck the Sick had fallen, his reign coming to a disastrous end mere days after it had begun. The army of the true king Excelsior III seized the palace, casting the false king into exile along with his plague-ridden family. From the smashed rubble of the false king's reign, Excelsior III would strive to build the mightiest civilization in history! Long live the king of the Russians!

Turn #0>330AD
The king purges the land of the vile influences of previous rulers. He orders Beta to begin a harbor and Mosfrog to build a Temple.
Turn #1>340AD
The king orders New Lurkburg to begin the production of a settler and Moscow to begin a temple. Barbarians, meanwhile, are massing near both cities. To the north, a band of Russian warriors disperses a Kahzak encampment plundering 25 gold.
Turn #2>350AD
New Excelsior completes a garrison of spearmen and begins work on the training of a Ditchdigger Corps. To the far east, St. Petersburg is founded north of New Lurkburg.

Turn #3>360AD
A galley in the Russian Navy is attacked by barbarians; it survives the attack and is promoted to veteran status. Meanwhile, Alpha completes the Colossus. The monumental testament to Excelsior Deus shall stand forever! The city begins work on a marketplace. The city of New Lurkburg completes a settler and begins to work on a temple. To the far west, a spearman disperses an Angle encampment near Moscow. A worker is loaded into a galley for transport to St. Petersburg. It is only upon receiving this news that Excelsior III realizes that there are now two St. Petersburgs in the Russian Empire, one in the east and one in the west. Naturally displeased at this, Excelsior III first orders that the Royal Naming Committee be beheaded and then that the eastern St. Petersburg should be renamed Zeta!

Turn #4>370AD
The galley arrives in St. Petersburg, delivering the worker.
Turn #5>380AD
Barbarian warriors, horsemen, and galleys clash against Russian forces from one end of the empire to another. The Russians triumph and several units achieve veteran status. In domestic affairs, the city of Excelsior completes a settler and begins a new one.
Turn #6>390AD
Epsilon completes the training of a spearmen, which is sent north to reinforce the city of Delta.
Turn #7>400AD
The king is astonished to receive word that the English and the Egyptians have signed a military alliance against the Germans. He establishes embassies in the capitals of Germany, Rome, and Greece. The Germans and the Romans are racing to complete a great wonder, Sun Tzu's Art of War. It is apparent that the Germans are far ahead and will finish the work in 42 turns. On the frontier, barbarians are defeated yielding 75 gold in sum.

Turn #8>410AD
A Ditchdigger Corps has completed a road to the wild horses of St. Petersburg. Unfortunately, the city lacks a harbor and a road connection. Thus, the rest of the Russian Empire is unable to benefit from this development. Vovanville completes a library and begins construction of a spearman. In the distant frontier to the east, the city of Eta is founded near a supply of spices. The new city begins work on a temple.
Turn #9>420AD
One of the Russian Navy's prized galleys has sunk due to poor navigation (I pressed the wrong key and sent it into a sea square). The admirals of the fleet are saved from Excelsior III's wrath only when a herald interrupts, bringing word that the Greeks have signed a military pact with the Germans in the Germanic-Anglo Egyptian War.

Turn #10>430AD
The city of Excelsior completes a settler and begins work on the training of another. The city of Delta goes into civil disorder. The king responds with a wave of his hand, "Give them some entertainment." To the west, St. Petersburg completes work on a spearman and begins training a Ditchdigger Corps.
Turn #11>440AD
This was a boring period in the history of Russian.
Turn #12>450AD
While the brave spearmen of Eta fight back another barbarian raid, the citizens of Beta are unhappy. Though longing to nerve staple these whiners, Excelsior III realizes that the technology is still two thousand years distant and instead directs them to be dealt with in the same manner as the disobedient citizens of Delta. Excelsior Memorialis finishes a Temple and begins work on a harbor. New Excelsior completes a worker and begins work on a temple.
Turn #13>460AD
After some checking, Excelsior III discovers, to his dismay, that the warmest friend he has in the diplomatic world is Rome. They are "Cautious", but they do agree to sell the Russians the secrets of Feudalism and The Republic for a mere 190 gold.
Turn #14>470AD
Excelsior III is disturbed by reports that Rome has joined the English and the Egyptians in the war against Germany and Greece. This war is escalating out of control and it is unlikely that Russia can stay neutral forever. Should war break out, the safety of Russia's colonial holdings is far from secure. Beta completes a harbor and begins construction of a new galley for the Russian Navy. To the north, Theta is founded near a supply of game.

Turn #15>480AD
An emissary from Egypt arrived at the palace gates. The contemptuous manner in which the envoy greeted the king did not bode well for the success of the negotiations. The Egyptians demanded tribute; they ordered the Russians to supply all of Egypt with wine for no cost. The only alternative was war. The Egyptians received their response promptly, the disembodied head of the envoy arriving within 48 hours. The Russians were now at war with the Egyptians.

Turn #16>490AD
Excelsior completes a settler and then switches to the production of war material. Alpha completes a marketplace and begins work on a harbor. Epsilon finishes training a Ditchdigging Corps and begins work on a temple.
Turn #17>500AD
War tensions run high, but nothing of importance happens domestically or abroad.
Turn #18>510AD
Excelsior III and Bismarck meet at a neutral site. The two leaders agree to an exchange of maps and leave the conference with relations substantially improved. Vovanville completes a spearman and begins work on a minor wonder of the world, The Forbidden Palace!
Turn #19>520AD
The city of Gamma completes the construction of a temple and begins the construction of war material. A Ditchdigging Corps has completed a road to the iron mines of New Excelsior, but it is all but unusable, lacking the road and sea connection necessary to its use. The production of St. Petersburg is changed to a harbor. A new city named Iota is founded in the mountains of Western Russia.
Turn #20>530AD
During the final years of Excelsior III's reign, very little happened. The war with Egypt continued, but it was a war with no battles and no glory. Excelsior III succumbed to pneumonia in the year 537AD, leaving the kingdom to his son, Lurking III.

The state of the world:

The saved game:
Attached Files:
File Type: zip endturn8.zip (96.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Excelsior; December 8, 2001 at 16:42.
Old December 8, 2001, 17:47   #63
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 12:32
Is it just me or do most of the pictures in this thread not show up?

Excelsior, I can't see any of your pics
Old December 8, 2001, 18:09   #64
Excelsior
Warlord

Fsck is hosting most of the pictures, but he has been sick and hasn't gotten the screenshots up yet. All of the pictures except the last batch from me and the last batch from Lurking should be working. Hopefully, all of the screenshots will be working soon.
Old December 8, 2001, 22:08   #65
Lurking
Chieftain

Lurking III reign over expanding Russia
In 540 AD Lurking III comes to power. Following is a diary of his reign:

540 - Romans join Russia in the righteous war against Egypt.

550 - Greece joins the war against Egypt.

560 - Barbarians attack Eta. The spearmen defenders are promoted to Elite!

590 - Russian warriors disperse a barbarian encampment and are rewarded with 25 gold for their bravery. The 35 gold is quickly confiscated to add to the Russian treasury.

600 - Monarchy is discovered. No revolution at this time.

610 - Egypt starts building the Cistine Chaple. They are obviously ahead of the rest of the world in technology!

640 - English start work on a massive gardening project, The Hanging Gardens.

650 - St. Lurking (the town) falls into civlil disorder. "Argh!" exclaimes Lurking III.

660 - New Lurking produces a worker, the first manual laborer on the eastern continent.

680 - Revolution throughout Russia starts. Our great Depotism has fallen into chaos. Perhaps we can get a new type of government... Russian archer attacks a barbarian encampment on the eastern continent, the archer is promoted to veteran status.

690 - Our brave archer is attacked by thousands of barbarian horseman. Our archer falls to overwealming odds.

700 - St. Petersburg is founded on the Eastern continent. It's right near some tasty cattle heards!

710 - Kiev is founded near southern tip of the eastern continent. Kiev is defended from two barbarian attacks by a valiant spearman who is promoted to veteran status!

730 - Russia finally comes out of it's state of social disorder and the people have come to trust Lurking III's wonderful leadership. He is crowned KING by the new Russian monarchy.

740 - All civil disorder in the Russian cities ends. Lurking III is old and frail and decides to hand down his crown to his worthy successor, Prince vovansim.
The east:

The west:
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ad0740 endturn9.zip (99.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Lurking; December 11, 2001 at 18:21.
Old December 8, 2001, 22:53   #66
Excelsior
Warlord

Quote:
St. Petersburg is founded on the Eastern continent. It's right near some tasty cattle heards!
You did the same thing I did! We have two St. Petersburgs again. If anyone's interested in continuing our naming scheme, here are the greek letters we haven't used.

kappa
lamda
mu
nu
xi
omicron
pi
rho
sigma
tau
upsilon
phi
chi
psi
omega

Anyway, good work. The Egyptians have been pretty quiet. It seems like they don't have many resources to devote towards crushing us, since they're fighting on so many fronts. I wouldn't worry about them. We just need to concentrate on expanding and securing resources from other continents.
Old December 9, 2001, 03:33   #67
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Vovansim III
In the year of 740AD, Vovansim succeeded Lurking III on the throne of Russia. Although Lurking was not yet dead (most of his predecessors parted with their crown and their life at the same time), he was old and felt that a young leader would be more appropriate now. So, the rule of the second King of Russia, Vovansim III, began.
(0) 740AD Our rulers seems to like the name 'Peter' a lot. I renamed St. Petersburg on the eastern island to Vladivostok, since it is on the eastern island.
(1) 750AD The first priority now is to improve our homeland. The lands around Mosfrog are being extensively cultivated.
(2) 760AD A group of workers from Eta is ready to help our nation by making the environment better. Those, who are left in the city, start constructing a temple. The workers start building a road towards spices and New Lurkburg. Moscow has grown a lot since it was founded. It now influences a greater area. The local fishermen are now brave enough to sail farther into the sea to hunt for the precious whale. (Those animals are mostly appreciated by Moskovites for their nutritional value). The workers near Zeta start working on a road towards the local herd of horses, so that it is easier for our men to catch those animals and in the general direction of Vladivostok. Work on a road towards Moscow continues.
(3) 770AD A group of spearmen is trained to defend Iota. The lands continue being improved. A sum of money is given to the governor of Eta to hurry the training of local young men in the art of using the bow.
(4) 780AD The men from Eta are ready to fight, but as soon as they start marching towards Buto, a messenger from the Egyptians approaches and asks for me to arrange a meeting with their Queen. I do meet with her. She asks for a peace agreement. But peace will not come to Egypt for nothing. The price is 53 gold and 3 gold/turn. The money will help our country greatly.
(5) 790AD Two barbarian ships are destroyed by our galleys. A group of settlers and spearmen lands on the eastern island to found a new settlement.
(6) 800AD Excelsior finishes building an aqueduct and can now provide enough drinking water for a larger population. We feel ready to undertake a great project. I personally write a letter to the greatest master of warfare, inviting him to settle in Excelsior (he must understand that he is too old for fighting now - but his knowledge just can't pass away with him) The city starts building a palace for Sun Tzu. The idea is to recreate an environment, where he would be able to concentrate and write a book on the Art of War - a thing he has always wanted to do, but couldn't find the right place to do it - he wants a worthy nation to possess his knowledge. Delta trains a group of young men to use spears to defend their home city. The other men feel that they need a place to teach their children. So, they start building a library.
(7) 810AD News come that the Egyptians are building the Hanging gardens.
(8) 820AD Our wise men have discovered Theology. They now have a new idea - to outfit our horsemen with a metal shield of some kind, just not a conventional shield, but such that would cover the whole body (Chivalry).
(9) 830AD The town of Minsk is founded on the Eastern island.

There are herds of horses, and cattle, and a huge field of wheat near it. I feel, this is a great site for a city.
(10) 840AD A group of men from St.Lurking is ready to settle new territories. More men are being trained to use the spear. Minsk trains some spearmen. People there start working on a temple to utilize all the food around as soon as possible. I feel that Egypt and Russia should live together in peace. So, I contact Cleopatra, and give her wines in exchange for her world map, 30 gold, and 5 gold / turn. With this new source of money, I increase financing of science.
(11) 850AD The Russian people apparently liked my decision about the Egyptians and ask me if I want to improve the looks of the royal my palace. It's about time, I say. The road to the mountainous town of Iota is finally finished. An encampment of barbarians is spotted to the north of Delta. A warrior is dispatched to take care of them.
(12) 860AD The spearman and the settler from St. Lurking have arrived to Exclesior Memorials. They board a galley there and are ready to depart to settle new frontiers.
(13) 870AD The Burgundian settlement to the north of Delta is dispersed. The road to Moscow is almost finished.
(14) 880AD Barbarians attack Minsk, but they are not successful. Skillful Russian spearmen are trained to fight better. Excelsior Memorials builds spearmen. I feel that our people are illiterate somewhat, so, I order a library to be built. Same scenario in St.Lurking. The road to Vladivostok is finished.
(15) 890AD The people of Epsilon finish building a temple. A new generation of men is ready to train themselves in the use of spear. Bad news come from Egypt. While we were building the palace for Sun Tzu, he has moved to Thebes. Furthermore, he has already finished his book on the Art of War, and has given it to the Egyptian people. Ecelsior changes production to Sistine Chapel - if our people can't be the best warriors in the world, they should at least be happy. Library is rush-built in Eta - we have to expand our influence on the Eastern island. Zeta builds a temple.
(16) 900AD Terrible news! London has completed the Hanging gardens. Alpha has to change its production to a Cathedral.
(17) 910AD Alpha finishes the Cathedral. Starts work on a library. Gamma finishes a courthouse. starts work on a cathedral. The road to connect Moscow to New Excelsior is finished!
(18) 920AD Egypt and Germany have signed a peace treaty. Our people definitely like that news and improve my palace.
(19) 930AD Cultural influence of Eta expands. It seems like there is another barbarian encampment to the north-east of Delta. A warrior is dispatched there. The people of Lurkburg complain that the city is too boring and crowded. So, production is changed to a cathedral.
(20) 940AD Cultural influence of Zeta expands.
"I am quite old now. I don't think that I can handle our empire properly now. Also, you see how I always say 'our empire', 'our people', 'our palace', etc. Not my - our. That is because there are too many young people trying to tell me what to do. To make things even worse, I don't have any sons. There is nobody I could give my crown to. There are two quite able young princes - Excelsior and Fsck, who could handle the empire, but I can't choose. Let the fate decide, who will be Russia's third King. I will just spend the rest of my life in the only place in the empire I truly love - Minsk. It will be just a quiet life, very quiet. No more mutiny about the heir..."
This was a note found near the dead body of Vovansim III by his servant, who came into his room in the morning, as usual, to help him dress, and wash his face. It is not known, whether the King committed suicide, died of old age, or was killed by an unknown traitor.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ad0940 endturn10.zip (134.2 KB, 2 views)
Spore page
Old December 9, 2001, 17:35   #68
fsck
Settler

Local Time: 10:32
OK, I have the pics uploaded. Excelsior, I fixed one of your typos with a symlink, so it is working now.

Lurking, your last set of pics was actually from the turn BEFORE, so I don't have any of the pictures from your last turn.

Sorry about the long delays, I know it's frustrating. Hoping to play later tonight!

-fsck
Old December 10, 2001, 14:56   #69
fsck
Settler

Alas! My main gaming rig has lost a disk. I have backups, but I wasn't mirroring so there's no fast recovery. I am reduced to using my P133 laptop, which can't handle Civ3 by a long-shot (hell, my Athlon 900Mhz w/ 768MB DDR RAM can barely handle Civ3).

I have to bow out of the playing side of things. I will continue to post and handle screenshots... in fact I'm off right now to figure out why some of Lurking's pics are broken.

Thanks,
-fsck
Old December 10, 2001, 15:15   #70
Excelsior
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by fsck
I have to bow out of the playing side of things. I will continue to post and handle screenshots... in fact I'm off right now to figure out why some of Lurking's pics are broken.
Thanks,
-fsck
Sorry to hear that. I hope you can get back up and running before too long.

Quote:
Originally posted by fsck
Alas! My main gaming rig has lost a disk. I have backups, but I wasn't mirroring so there's no fast recovery. I am reduced to using my P133 laptop, which can't handle Civ3 by a long-shot (hell, my Athlon 900Mhz w/ 768MB DDR RAM can barely handle Civ3).
That's funny; my Celeron 600 laptop w/128MB RAM runs it fine. Of course, I haven't played anything bigger than the standard map, though.
Old December 10, 2001, 19:53   #71
Excelsior
Warlord

It was a bright, lovely spring day on the palace grounds. Storm clouds hovered on the horizon, but had not approached the city. Hundreds of onlookers in brightly colored clothing crowded into the garden, which had been temporarily renovated to serve in a new capacity. On opposite ends of the hedgerow, two imposing knights readied for combat, tightening their armor and mounting their horses.

As the two stared at each other from a distance, the clouds grew closer until finally with a great roar of thunder the rain began to fall. The deluge quickly turned the soft ground into a muddy mess and soaked the two combatants, yet they did not break their unwavering gaze.

Upon the signal, the two warhorses were spurred toward each other, their rider's lances coming to bear. The two knights closed rapidly until with a mighty crash they struck each other with such force that both were knocked from their saddles, falling to the ground with an enormous splash. Only one stood back up.

Excelsior IV had vanquished Xsck III in honorable combat to become the fourth king to rule the Russian Monarchy! Long live the king!

Turn #0>940AD
Excelsior IV decrees that the lawless Russian civilization must be reformed. He decrees the construction of many new courthouses in the cities of Epsilon, St. Lurking, New Lurkburg, and Excelsior Memorialis. He further orders that Zeta should construct a harbor so that the resources of the Russian people may be distributed more fairly. These actions, and others similar, earned Excelsior IV the title of "the Just," as henceforth he will be known.
Turn #1>950AD
Excelsior the Just orders the construction of a harbor in Kiev so that the unhappy people there can be comforted by the same luxuries as the rest of the Russian people. To the north of Russia, a group of Russian warriors defeats a barbarian raiding party.
Turn #2>960AD
A Bulgar encampment in the Arctic regions is dispersed.
Turn #3>970AD
Almost nothing of any importance happened during these intervening years.
Turn #4>980AD
The city of Alpha completes a harbor and is ordered to begin construction of a harbor.
Turn #5>990AD
With the Egyptian-Russian peace treaty at stake, Excelsior and Cleopatra come together in a secret summit. Little is known of the activities there, but it is known that Excelsior declined to renew the treaty unless the Egyptians paid tribute to the Russian people. He demanded 34 gold and the Egyptian world map. Cleopatra's measured response was, "Your terms are acceptable."

The Russian Navy destroys barbarians off the coast of Greece during these years. Domestically, the city of Vovanville goes into civil unrest as the people express their unhappiness through violence. The situation was dealt with accordingly. Russian alchemists discover the secret of Chivalry and are directed to investigate the secrets of Education in the hopes that the Russian people may one day learn the secrets of Banking.

Turn #6>1000AD
Alexander of the Greeks comes to Excelsior bearing a proposal, an alliance against the treacherous Egyptians. Though the idea of destroying the Egyptians is a pleasant one to him, Excelsior decides that the last thing the Russian people need at this time is another war. He politely expresses his regrets to Alexander that he cannot help and sends Alexander back to Greece. Due to extreme budget deficits resulting from extreme fiduciary misconduct on the part of his advisors, Excelsior is forced to cut the science rate to 40%.

Turn #7>1010AD
The city of Delta completes a library and begins work on a courthouse. A new city named Kappa is founded near the South Pole close to vast supplies of game and horses.

Turn #8>1020AD
After many years of faithful service, the Russian galley off the coast of Greece is sunk by Numidians. Reports have also arrived that the Greeks are building the Sistine Chapel.
Turn #9>1030AD
Excelsior the Just is pleased to be informed that the Germans have finally made peace with the Romans. To the south, a detachment of the Russian Army is approaching a barbarian encampment near Kappa.
Turn #10>1040AD
The Romans come to Excelsior the Just with an offer to exchange knowledge of the world. Cleverly playing upon the poor willed Egyptian emissaries, the king modifies the deal until it only vaguely resembles the one set forth by Cleopatra. The Egyptians agree, selling the secrets of Engineering in exchange for the Russian secret of Chivalry plus the Russian world map and 55 gold. Elsewhere, the Russian spearman near Kappa attacks the barbarians there, but does not disperse the camp.
Turn #11>1050AD
The cities of St. Lurking and New Lurkburg complete courthouses. Neither has sufficient commerce to justify the construction of a marketplace, however, and they are instructed to train settlers and Ditchdiggers.
Turn #12>1060AD
A summit between Bismarck and Excelsior is held. Bismarck wants an alliance against the English but Excelsior replies he cannot commit the Russian people to another war at this time. The German delegation leaves the summit somewhat less than pleased. Meanwhile, the English Army is observed to be performing unusual troop movements near New Excelsior, positioning their forces near the Russian iron mines in the region, the only Russian iron mines in the world! Excelsior wonders if he should have taken the German offer under closer scrutiny; war may yet be on the horizon. In a hastily convened meeting with the English leader Elizabeth, Excelsior demands that the English army withdraw. Elizabeth replies that they will leave "soon."

Turn #13>1070AD
News comes that the Germans have signed a peace treaty with their foes the English. Relieved from the burden of war, the English offer a trade, Dyes in exchange for wine and 6 gold per turn. Through his great negotiating power, Excelsior manages to talk them down to 5 gold per turn. Shortly after the deal is concluded, Excelsior is releived to see the English soldiers march home. Domestically, a "We Love the Czarina Day" is celebrated in Mosfrog. New Lurkburg completes the training of a Ditchdigging Corps and begins again on the same. The people admire Excelsior the Just's achievements so much that they decide to expand his palace!

Turn #14>1080AD
Excelsior Memorialis completes a courthouse and begins work on a marketplace.
Turn #15>1090AD
New Lurkburg completes another Ditchdigging Corps and begins training a group of settlers.
Turn #16>1100AD
Alpha completes a harbor and begins a colosseum. New Excelsior completes a temple and begins work on a settler. Kiev is rioting; there are only two choices, more rioting or starvation. Though it pained him, Excelsior chose the later.
Turn #17>1110AD
Beta has completed a courthouse and is now producing enough commerce for a marketplace to be viable. Kappa has completed a worker and is now building a temple. Epsilon completes a courthouse; it still lacks enough trade to be a viable marketplace candidate, so it is ordered to train settlers. St. Lurking completes the training of a group of settlers and begins a cathedral. The Russian wise men discover education and begin working toward discovering the secrets of Banking. Excelsior orders construction of the harbor in St. Petersburg to be hurried so that local incense, horses, and iron may be brought back to the mainland.
Turn #18>1120AD
St. Petersburg completes its harbor and begins work on a temple. Moscow completes the first pikeman in the Russian Army. It begins work on a harbor. Excelsior, to his dismay, receives word that the Greeks are now building the Sistine Chapel. Only days later, word comes that the Germans have finished the Sistine Chapel! Excelsior is forced to change the production of Excelsior to a Cathedral, wasting 226 shields!!!!!
Turn #19>1130AD
The Egyptian emissary arrives wishing to trade world maps. More accurately, the Egyptians want the Russian world map plus Engineering. Employing his masterful skills of diplomacy, Excelsior convinces the Egyptians that they would much rather trade Spices and 1 gold per turn for some fine Russian Wine. Both parties leave the negotiating table quite satisfied that they got the better of the deal.

The city of Excelsior completes the cathedral and Excelsior informs them that a marketplace would be desirable. "We Love the Czarina Day" is now being celebrated in both Lurkburg and Vovanville. Gamma completes a cathedral and begins work on a new galley for the Russian Navy. Eta builds barracks and then begins work on a temple. To the north, Lamda is founded in the arctic wastes.

Turn #20>1140AD
"We Love the Czarina Day" is celebrated in Gamma, but little else occurs.

So ended the reign of Excelsior the Just, the fourth in the line of Russian kings. With his death, an age of chaos began as many a Russian knight made claim to the vacated Russian throne. It was from this chaos that the next king of the Russian people emerged, Lurking IV!

Rather than show you the Russian Empire, this time I thought it would be nice to give you an idea of what the rest of the world looks like. I present Egypt, Germany, Rome, England, and Greece.

Attached Files:
File Type: zip endturn11.zip (114.2 KB, 3 views)
Old December 11, 2001, 09:05   #72
Lurking
Chieftain

my turn
Lurking will be taking his turn this afternoon. Hopefully Russia will be able to develop some technologies to put her in contention for the tech lead. I'm glad we can get to building some knights, as soon as we develp a harbor to export the iron from the western continent. Any other important ideas for my reign?
Old December 11, 2001, 12:28   #73
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: my turn
Quote:
Originally posted by Lurking
I'm glad we can get to building some knights, as soon as we develp a harbor to export the iron from the western continent. Any other important ideas for my reign?
Already done.
Quote:
Excelsior orders construction of the harbor in St. Petersburg to be hurried so that local incense, horses, and iron may be brought back to the mainland.
Not only does the mainland have iron and horses, we now have 4 luxuries, two of which are local and two of which are foreign. My only advice at the moment is to keep expanding and try to avoid wars. We don't want to jeopardize the delivery of our goods.
Old December 11, 2001, 13:34   #74
fsck
Settler

Lurking, I figured out why your two pics are broken.

In your post from 08-12-2001 19:08, entitled "Lurking III reign over expanding Russia", your links to the pictures:

Russia_AD710_kiev_founded.JPG
Russia_AD0680_archer_veteran.JPG

are broken because you have the hyperlink as: http://http://www.doriarpg.org/img/picture

Go back and edit your repost, remove the redundant http://, and it should work fine.

-fsck (still doing my part in this thread, damnit!)
Old December 11, 2001, 21:01   #75
Lurking
Chieftain

Lord Lurking Excel
Lord Lurking Excel stood atop a small rise on the border of his estate. He could just make out the tall palace in Excelsior. The seat of the great monarchy of Russia. The young Lord longed to sit on the stone throne inside the palace. "One day," he murmmered.

Exactly two years from that day, in the year of 1140 AD, Lord Lurking Excel won the tourneyment for the crown. With sweat gleaming from his broad shoulders and a twinkle in his young eyes and claimed his throne. He would be a good ruler...

1140 - 1160 - Lord Lurking Excel takes a young blonde wife and has many offspring. Including a sickly young price named fsck. "Perhaps he can be an artist," noted Lurking.

1170 - Lurkburg produces a beautiful cathedral. Lurking sends his young son, fsck, to paint glorious battle scenes throughout the halls of the new cathedral. Lurkburg's cutural influence expands because of the fabulous building!

1180 - Lurking Excel journeys to Egypt to meet with the drop dead sexy Cleopatra. Lurking and Cleopatra fall for each other and exchange technology for gold. "In the future, maybe we can exchange more?" asks the google eyed Lurking... Lurking also demands his scientist research faster and so increases their funding. The Russian government is now running at a 6 gold/turn deficet. A russian galley, the 'Cleopatra', defends itself successfully against a dinky galley manned by some barbaric women. Lurking notes this saying, "I've heard rumors of these strong and powerful women from the deep jungles on the eastern continent." Lurking names the eastern continent.... "Forever more it shall be called Amazonia"

1190 - Lurking visits with his forgien advisor. This is the picture he presents to us:

(note to players: do you know how to show the lines representing peace/trade on this view?)

1200 - Minsk is attacked by barbarian horseman again. The grand palace of Lurking Excel is expanded. "My palace will be bigger than all those before it."

1210 - Adjust science back down 10%, our gold is now +21/turn. The grand palace is again expanded. "Have a look," invites Lurking.

1220 - Odessa founded between Moscow and New Excelsior, on the unnamed western continent. Lurking wipes the sweat from his brow because the English almost made it there before Russia.

Below is the save file, I'll finish the story in the next post.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip endturn12 1285ad.zip (116.5 KB, 2 views)
Old December 12, 2001, 01:10   #76
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Vovansim IV
(0) 1285AD Looking around. Not much I could change. Barbarian warrior attacks Sverdlovsk. He is defeated. Gamma builds a settler. Starts work on a library.
(1) 1290AD Order is restored in Kiev. I rush-build the harbor there, so that the people can start enjoying the luxuries earlier. Workers near Excelsior finish building mines. The road to game near Kappa is finished. The deal with Egypt, where we sold them wines for 1 gold / turn expires. The new terms of the contract are 15 gold / turn for wine. Mosfrog finishes a courthouse. Starts work on a Library. Kiev finishes the harbor. People there are happy. Work starts on a temple.
(2) 1295AD A mine near Vovanville is finished. The Forbidden palace will now be completed in 22 turns, not 29. The settler and the spearman land on the Eastern island. Alpha finishes a pikeman. Starts work on knight. New Lurkburg produces a settler. Starts work on a library.
(3) 1300AD Cultural influence of Minsk expands.
(4) 1305AD A settler boards a galley in Vovanville and is ready to settle new lands. Beta produces a pikeman. Starts work on a Library. A spearman in Beta is upgraded to Pikeman. Epsilon finishes an aqueduct. Starts work on a library. Iota builds a temple. Starts wok on a pikeman.
(5) 1310AD Workers continue to improve lands. Egypt and Rome have signed a peace treaty. Excelsior finishes building a knight. Starts work on a settler.
(6) 1315AD We have discovered the secret of Banking. Starting work on invention. I contact Cleopatra and trade Banking for Astronomy. I contact the English in hopes that I could trade them some wine for money (I found out that if I increase the science financing now by just 10%, the amount of turns till the next breakthrough would drop from 23 turns to just 11!) Unfortunately, Elizabeth has 0 gold in the treasury, and has 0 per turn income (!) I contact the Germans with the same proposal, but get the same response - no money. Strange. I change production in Excelsior to Copernicus' observatory - we need science desperately now. The city of Yakutsk is founded.

(7) 1320AD Cultural influence of Zeta is expanding. An encampment of Estrusians is dispersed near Yakutsk.
(8) 1325AD Continuing to improve lands. Our galley is attacked by the barbarians, by is victorious. A spearman from Minsk is dispatched to check out a goodie hut to the north of Minsk.
(9) 1330AD Two Egyptian Knights are approaching our territory. They have not entered it yet, though, so I hope they are not out for us. They are still at war with the Greeks, so I hope its for them.
(10) 1335AD Theta finishes a courthouse. Starts work on a library. Minsk finishes a worker. Starts work on a courthouse.
(11) 1340AD Egypt and Greece have signed a peace treaty. The Egyptian knights turn back to their territory. I hope they don't change their mind! Lambda finishes a Pikeman. Starts work on Courthouse. Alpha finishes a knight. Starts building a bank. Gamma finishes a library. Starts work on a marketplace. New Lurkburg builds a library. Starts building a Knight - just in case. The spearman defending the city is upgraded to a pikeman. Word is that the Egyptians are building Leonardo's workshop. I wonder if they'll give us the knowledge of invention... There is no way Cleopatra would agree to do it. That's a pity, though. A Phoenician tribe to the north of Minsk was dispersed. We got some money from them.
(12) 1345AD Beta builds a library. Starts work on an aqueduct. Excelsior memorials builds an aqueduct. Starts work on a library. The spearmen in the city are upgraded to pikemen.
(13) 1350AD Delta builds a courthouse. Starts work on a university. Epsilon builds a library. Starts building a university. The spearmen from the city are sent to Beta for upgrade. New Excelsior finishes a library. Starts work on a courthouse.
(14) 1355AD St. Lurking finishes a Cathedral work starts on an aqueduct. The Romans want to exchange their World map for our World map and the knowledge of Banking. How about they give us their world map, Invention, and 10 gold (all they have) for our world map and banking? They agree.
(15) 1360AD Our scientists are now working towards gunpowder. Vladivostok builds pikemen. Starts building a courthouse.
(16) 1365AD Cleopatra wants our world map in exchange for her world map. As we already know all the territory she does, we ask her if she would be willing to give any money in exchange for our maps. But she has none. Oh well, no money - no maps. A new barbarian encampment is spotted to the north of Delta. A warrior is dispatched to take care of it. The city of Novgorod is founded.

(17) 1370AD The cultural influence of New Excelsior is expanding. The ivory resource is now within our borders. And the road towards it is almost completed.

(18) 1375AD The Bulgarian encampment to the north of Delta is dispersed. I establish an embassy in Egypt. It turns out that in 14 turns the Copernicus's observatory will be completed in Thebes. Our people estimate the completion of the observatory in Excelsior in 13 turns. It is going to be a close one.
(19) 1380AD Excelsior Memorials finishes a library. Starts work on a Bank. Odessa builds a pikeman. Starts building a courthouse.
(20) 1385AD Some English forces enter Russian territory near the city of Odessa. The King, Vovansim IV tells them to get out. They agree. But smiles can be seen on their faces. Have they lied to the great King? Or is he so old that the orders that he gives sound comical? In any case, the King is ready to give his crown, and his empire, to his worthy successor.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip endturn13 1385ad.zip (146.2 KB, 2 views)
Spore page
Old December 12, 2001, 13:57   #77
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: Lord Lurking Excel
Quote:
Originally posted by Lurking
(note to players: do you know how to show the lines representing peace/trade on this view?)
That's a bug in the new patch. The lines disappear when you click on the one of the other advisors, the military advisor, I think. The only way to get them back is to restart the game.
Old December 12, 2001, 20:52   #78
Excelsior
Warlord

The reign of Excelsior V
From the palace towers, Excelsior V surveyed his realm. To the west stood the cathedral of Excelsior, the colosseum, the marketplace, the library, and the university. To the east were the neighborhoods, bustling with the activity in the early morning hours. In the distance, he could make out the ocean, the muscle-powered ships slowly crawling along the coast.

Greater distances, only his mind's eye could see. Vovanville, to the north, lacked mere years until the Forbidden Palace was completed. To the west, the English threatened the border cities, the cities of iron and incense so critical to the functioning of Russian Empire. To the east, the rapid Russian colonization of the continent now ensured the almost total Russian control of the region, yet the Egyptians maintained a strong grip on the eastern coast, controlling the seas.

Thus was the state of the Russian Empire as Excelsior V began his reign as king of the Russian people!

Turn #0>1385AD
Excelsior V studies the state of his kingdom. His predecessors have done well. The Russian Empire is one of the most powerful in the world, second only to the Egyptians. He makes plans to change that.
Turn #1>1390AD
Alexander of the Greeks comes to Excelsior demanding the withdrawal of Russian troops in Greek territory. Excelsior V is perplexed. He did not know of any Russian troops in Greek territory, but promises to Alexander that they will be moved immediately. Later, Excelsior learns that the offending force was actually a group of galleys ferrying settlers to another continent. But Alexander's jumpiness demonstrated weakness; Greece, it seems, is now a tiny empire, having been reduced to virtually nothing during the wars with Egypt. Excelsior begins to draw up a plan to eradicate the Greeks once and for all.

The city of Kappa completes a temple. Excelsior, seeing that the city will eventually be hemmed in by the English orders the people of Kappa to begin work on a library in order to promote the cultural expansion of the city. Excelsior also orders the city of Smolensk to switch from training Knights to training Pikemen.

All that remains of Greece:

Turn #2>1395AD
New Lurkburg completes the training of a Knight and is ordered to train another. Excelsior V considers sending the Knights north to defend against a possible Egyptian invasion force massing near Novgorod, but decides that if the Egyptian forces there are bent on conquest the knights would arrive far too late to save the city. Instead, he decides to use them in his plan to invade Greece.

Turn #3>1400AD
Little of importance happened this turn. The Egyptians ordered Excelsior to get remove an offending galley from Egyptian Territorial Waters, but very little else.
Turn #4>1405AD
Beta, Vladivostok, St. Lurking, and Lurkburg celebrate "We Love the Czarina Day" as Ivory from New Excelsior is finally brought to the mainland. Excelsior V is pleased to be loved by his people. The Forbidden Palace has been constructed in Vovanville. Finally, after many centuries of labor, it is complete, and corruption levels drop throughout Russia. To the distant north, Krasnoyarsk is founded.

The Russian knights have positioned themselves along the Greek border, ready to strike at a moment's notice. Yet, Excelsior does not give the word. The Greek hoplite defenders are too strong to risk an attack yet. He orders the training of a knight at Zeta to be rushed so that it can join the attack when the time comes.
Turn #5>1410AD
The city of Alpha completes a bank and begins training a knight. The city of Zeta completes the training of a knight and begins the construction of a courthouse. To the west, Iota completes the training of a Pikeman and also begins constructing a courthouse. The Russian people love Excelsior so much that they offer to construct an addition to his palace. He happily allows them to do so.
Turn #6>1415AD
Mosfrog completes the construction of a library and begins work on a marketplace. St. Petersburg completes a temple and alters construction orders likewise. Smolensk completes the training of a Pikeman and begins construction of a courthouse.

Russian Wise-Men have discovered the secret of gunpowder! The news of this discovery sweeps through the Russian Empire. Scouting expeditions are sent forth to search for a new resource that may be vital to the survival of the Russian people, saltpeter. After many days of searching, the final reports come in. There is only one supply of saltpeter in all of Russia located in the mountains near Delta in the heart of the Russian Empire. There is also a second deposit to the distant north which is now being guarded by Russian warriors. Excelsior V rejoices and declares a national holiday in honor of this great day.
Turn #7>1420AD
Lurkburg completes an aqueduct and begins the construction of a marketplace. The cities of Delta and Epsilon complete Universities and also begin the construction of marketplaces.
Turn #8>1425AD
Beta completes an aqueduct and begins the construction of a bank. The city of Riga is founded near the Roman cities of Viroconium and Hispalis in order to secure two more sources of iron.

Excelsior decides that it is time to begin Operation Alexander's Horse. Two divisions of knights stand ready to commence the lightning blitz of Greece. The order comes and the men charge towards Marathon. The knights clash uselessly against the well-trained elite hoplites and are beaten back. The Russians are beaten, for now, but Excelsior vows that they will return to destroy Alexander. Excelsior authorizes the rushbuilding of a knight at New Lurkburg in pursuit of this goal.
Turn #9>1430AD
The city of Theta completes a library and begins a temple. Greek veteran archers are observed moving towards the remote city of Yakutsk. Excelsior begins to debate the wisdom of his decision.
Turn #10>1435AD
Russian spearmen defending Yakutsk successfully held off the Greek onslaught, becoming veterans in the process! Excelsior is so relieved that he donates a generous portion of his personal fortune towards financing a bounty on Alexander's head. Meanwhile, Russian knights destroy Greek archers venturing forth from the city of Marathon. The city of St. Lurking builds an aqueduct and begins the construction of a marketplace. The Russian Navy sinks a barbarian galley off the coast of Rome.
Turn #11>1440AD
The city of Eta completes an aqueduct and begins work on a marketplace.
Turn #12>1445AD
Splendid news has arrived! The city of Excelsior has completed its monumental task, Copernicus's Observatory! The city begins building a bank so that it may produce as much gold as it does science. Meanwhile, we have received word that both the Egyptians and the Germans are now building Leonardo's Workshop.
Turn #13>1450AD
The city of Alpha completes a knight and begins work on barracks so that the city may both upgrade outdated troops and train better new troops. To the north, the road to Krasnoyarsk has been completed. To the south, the Russian Navy destroys a barbarian galley.

Once again, the knights stand ready to destroy Greece. This time the Russian forces are 50% larger than before. Hoping that luck is on their side, Excelsior sends them toward Marathon once again. The first wave of regular knights is repulsed, falling back with only minimal damage to the defending hoplites. The second wave of veteran knights charges forward smashing into the elite hoplites. After a long tense battle the knights clear the field, but the battle is not yet over. The third wave of veterans falls against the Greeks, but the Russians are routed and fall back leaving Marathon still intact. But not for ever…
Turn #14>1455AD
The city of Krasnoyarsk completes a spearman for defense and begins constructing a temple. To facilitate the restoration of the Russian Knight Corps, Excelsior V orders the city of Smolensk to rushbuild a barracks. To the south, a Russian galley is surrounded by three barbarian galleys.
Turn #15>1460AD
The brave Russian galley to the south finally succumbs after being brutally attacked by 5 barbarian galleys. Delta builds a marketplace and begins the construction of a bank. Smolensk completes the barracks and switches back to producing a marketplace. The city of Iota completes a courthouse and begins a harbor.
Turn #16>1465AD
Vovanville completes an aqueduct and begins producing a marketplace. New Excelsior builds a courthouse and also begins a marketplace. Excelsior V is astonished to hear that the Egyptians are now building Smith's Trading Company! They must be far ahead of the Russians technologically. The Germans, too, for they are building J. S. Bach's cathedral.
Turn #17>1470AD
Lurkburg completes a marketplace and begins a library. Gamma completes a University and begins a marketplace. Epsilon completes a marketplace and begins building a harbor. Excelsior Memorialis completes a bank and begins building a university.

Excelsior V himself stood with the knights now, ready to lead the charge into Marathon. He spurred his horse towards the city his fearless comrades chasing behind.

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the Valley of Death
Rode the three units.
"Forward, the Knight Brigade!
"Charge for the spears!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the three units.

"Forward, the Knight Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the three units.

Hoplites to the right of them,
Hoplites to the left of them,
Hoplites in front of them,
Volley'd and thunder'd
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the three units.

Flash'd all their sabers bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the hoplites there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd
Plunged in the battery smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the three units.

Hoplites to the right of them,
Hoplites to the left of them,
Hoplites behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of three units.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Knight Brigade,
Noble three units.

The Russians have lost the battle and Excelsior V is mortally wounded.
Turn #18>1475AD
The city of Alpha completes a barracks and begins a colosseum. St. Lurking and Mosfrog complete a marketplace and begin a library and Aqueduct, respectively. Vladivostok completes a courthouse and begins an aqueduct. New Lurkburg completes a knight and begins another. But for these trivial matters, Excelsior V has no patience, the life draining from the gangrenous wound on his leg.
Turn #19>1480AD
Russian Wise-Men have discovered the secret of Navigation. From his deathbed, Excelsior V directs them to consider the secrets of Economics.
Turn #20>1485AD
The city of Excelsior completes a bank and begins work on a great project, Leonardo's Workshop! Theta, to the north, completes a temple and begins work on a marketplace. To the east, Sverdlovsk also completes a temple and begins the construction of a marketplace. Word has also come that the English are now working on a new great project, Magellan's Expedition!

Thus ended the reign of Excelsior V. He died in 1488 from the wound sustained at the third battle of Marathon. In memory of his leadership, the loyal Russian Knights vow to continue the crusade against Greece.

The eastern continent:
Attached Files:
File Type: zip endturn14.zip (126.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Excelsior; December 12, 2001 at 21:08.
Old December 14, 2001, 00:56   #79
Lurking
Chieftain

Lurking's reign 1485-1585 AD
1485 - Greeks request an audience, Lurking denies their request.

1490 - Most cities with barracks are ordered to produce knights. The city of New Lurkburg rush builds an aqueduct. The will allow a large, somewhat effecient city on the eastern continent. King Lurking would like to move the Russian palace to this continent, but is told it would take 900 turns to build it in a city near the center of the continent. Lurking decides to wait until a great war produces a great leader at which point Russia can rush the palace in a good central city. Lurking also meets with the German leader Bismark. Russia agrees to trade wines to Germany in exchange for Music Theory.

1495 - Many libraries are completed throught Russia. Lurking smiles at the news because he knows Russia is a scientific civilization and this may give us the edge we need in the technology race. Lurking begins to plan a great war with Egypt in the distant future. "We'll need to surpass the Egyptians in tech advances and build a great army before we attack," mumbles Lurking to himself. This grand plan is all in Lurking's head; he doubts he'll be able to start the war during his reign.

1505 - Russian scientists discover the secrets of Economics. Lurking directs them to research Chemistry next.

1520 - New Excelsior complets a Marketplace. This is good news because Lurking's quest for scientific acheivement is putting a drain on the Russian treasury.

1525 - Bad news! Thebes, the Egyptian capital city, has completed Leonardo's Workshop. Lurking pounds his fists in despair!

1530 - Excelsior switches to Smith's Trading Company, this will allow Russia to grow wealthy beyond belief if it can be completed before Egypt completes it!

1535 - A new city, called Rostov, is founded at a Northern tip of the Russian main continent. Lurking is pleased with this news because Rostov is near a deposit of saltpeper.

1540 - Russian knights, poised outside of the Greek stronghold of Marathon, attack mercilessly. Many, many Russian lives are lost in the attempt to take the city. Wave after wave of Russians throw themselves on the Greek Hoplites' spears. Finally the Russian army breaks through Greek defences and Marathon is captured. Lurking orders the destruction of the city immediately. No sign is left of the once proud civilization of Greece.

1545 - The Russian scientists discover the secrets of Chemistry. Lurking finds this news outstanding.

1555 - Vladivostok completes an aqueduct. This is the second city, on the eastern continent of Amazonia, to grow beyond a size "6" city.

1560 - Three worker brigades are disbanded in the fairly young city of Rostov. Lurking sees a benefit in this, because workers are no longer seriously needed on the main continent. The disbanding of the workers will allow Rostov to complete it's temple contruction a few turns earlier.

1580 - Russia produces thousands of trained musketmen. Lurking is glad his decree of building Russian defenses is carried out with such fervor. Russia has the most trained marksmen of any civilization. Lurking deems it wise to hold off on the war with Egypt until more offensive units can be added to the military. "We'll also need ships to ferry our troops across the oceans," notes Lurking.

1585 - Lurking, now over 100 years old, dies a painful death. The people honor his memory and rejoice at the great accomplishments of the past 100 years. War with Egypt may come soon.... It's up to Russia's next ruler when this war may start...

Note: I didn't include any images of the world because not much has changed in that respect since last time... I have a galley with some settlers headed to an island just east of the southern tip of Amazonia. Good luck players!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip endturn15_1585ad.zip (131.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Lurking; December 14, 2001 at 09:17.
Old December 14, 2001, 10:05   #80
Lurking
Chieftain

attn: fsck!
Hey fsck,
Do you have an expected time of repair of your machine? I'd really like you to re-join our grand game here. You are on deck, and I just want to make sure you're still disabled. Are you giving up on Civ III completely?
Old December 14, 2001, 20:50   #81
fsck
Settler

fsck going on vacation
Feh, machine is mostly fixed but it wouldn't matter anyway.

I leave for a three-week road trip TOMORROW.

I have e-mailed Lurking and Excelsior instructions on how to access the FTP server and upload their pictures. It's pretty straight-forward, but if you have questions feel free to e-mail.

Count me out of this game until the second week of January.

See you in 2002!
-fsck
Old December 15, 2001, 03:29   #82
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Patch/Disappearing Lines
Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior
That's a bug in the new patch. The lines disappear when you click on the one of the other advisors, the military advisor, I think. The only way to get them back is to restart the game.
Actually, its a bug with the old patch
Firaxis put the wrong patch up initially.
Just download the patch again and run it twice.
The first time will uninstall the previous patch, the second time will install the correct patch. Then you will be able to see the lines in that screen even after visiting other advisor screens.

Keep up the good game btw
Old December 15, 2001, 10:39   #83
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: Re: Patch/Disappearing Lines
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Actually, its a bug with the old patch
Firaxis put the wrong patch up initially.
Just download the patch again and run it twice.
The first time will uninstall the previous patch, the second time will install the correct patch. Then you will be able to see the lines in that screen even after visiting other advisor screens.

Keep up the good game btw
Actually, I did that. Unless I somehow managed to download the old patch again and then reinstalled that rather than the new patch, it is still a problem no matter which v1.16f you have. Are you sure this is only a problem in the incorrect version of the patch?
Old December 16, 2001, 00:53   #84
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Pretty sure. I downloaded the old patch (from civ3.com) and had those diplo-lines disappear. After seeing Dan's message that the civ3.com file was only replaced later, i re-downloaded it and now i havent had a problem since. So maybe you did get the old patch again...
Unless i was just lucky
Old December 16, 2001, 00:57   #85
vovan
Emperor

(0) 1585AD Our scientists have discovered physics. Starting work on MAgnetism. Cultural influence of Tbilisi expands.
(1) 1590AD The workers improve the land. The ships are exploring / patrolling the territory. I contacted the Egyptians. We made a deal: Printing press + 19 gold / turn for our excess ivory. With this new source of money, I increase the financing of science. That slashes some 3 turns off the time till the next breakthrough, namely, magnetism. Also contacted all the other world leaders, but they have nothing whatsoever to give us.
(2) 1595AD Gamma builds musketmen. Starts work on a marketplace. Kiev builds a temple. Starts work on a courthouse. I rush the construction of an aqueduct in Smolensk. The settlers arrive to the island to the east of the Amazonia.
(3) 1600AD Lurkburg builds musketmen. Construction of a catapult begins. Mosfrog builds a university. Begins building musketmen. The aqueduct of Smolensk is finished. It will soon produce a settler. The city of Astrakhan is founded. Construction of a library is ordered. Musketmen are finished in Alpha. Construction of a courthouse is under way. Krasnoyarsk finishes building a temple. Starts work on musketmen.
(4) 1605AD Lurkburg builds a catapult. New bank will be constructed soon. Delta finishes building a knight. A catapult is in order. Vladivostok builds musketmen. Time for more knights.
(5) 1610AD The lands continue being improved. I consult our military advisor. He says that compared to the Egyptians, our military is WEAK. We should build up our might. Beta builds a cathedral. Time to improve the defenses. Musketmen are being recruited. St.Lurking builds a knight. Catapult will soon be constructed.
(6) 1615AD Vovanville builds musketmen. We need a bank now. Delta finishes a catapult. Cathedral is ordered. New excelsior builds knights. But more are needed.
(7) 1620AD The lands continue being improved. St.Lurking builds a catapult. Production of knights is ordered.
(8) 1625AD Only one turn left till the discovery of magnetism. A Cathedral is built in Excelsior memorials. The construction of knights is ordered. The pikemen defending the city are equipped with muskets. Iota builds knights. We love Czarina day is celebrated in the city. Magnetism is discovered. Our scientists start working towards metallurgy. The word is that the Egyptians are building Shakespeare's theatre. I contact them, but they don't want to give the knowledge of democarcy to me. They don't even request the knowledge of Chemistry from me. I survey the map. They have only one source of saltpeter. And that is a colony to the north of Novgorod. I think about taking it away from them. The plan is that as soon as we get to military tradition, we would smash the Egyptians with the modern cavalry units.
(9) 1630AD The Romans want our world map, but don't have any money. Well, they don't get the map. St. Petersburg builds a knight. The construction of library is ordered.
(10) 1635AD Construction of barracks is ordered in Vladivostok, so that we could upgrade our troops on the Amazonia island. Lambda builds Musketmen. Construction of a library has started.
(11) 1640AD Musketmen are finished in Beta. I order the construction of a frigate. Gamma finishes building a marketplace. The construction of a harbor is started, so that we could upgrade our ships. Musketmen are built in Mosfrog. The people complain it is too crowded, so I order the construction of a cathedral.
(12) 1645AD A courthouse is built in Alpha. Construction of another frigate is ordered. Vladivostok builds barracks. Starts work on a library.
(13) 1650AD Smolensk builds a settler construction of a library is ordered. Five knights and two catapults from the main island are transported to Amazonia.
(14) 1655AD St. Lurking builds a knight. More are needed. Iota produces a library. Starts work on a marketplace. Bad news. The Egyptian city of Elephantine has completed Magellan's voyage. I hate to loose all the work done in Epsilon, but I have to change the production to something else. That something else is a new cathedral.
(15) 1660AD A cathedral is built in Epsilon. Starting work on a bank. Musketmen are built in Theta. Construction of a new university is under way. We have discovered metallurgy. Military tradition is not far away. I contacted the military advisor. He says, that the Egyptians are a democracy. Well, easier prey for us.
(16) 1665AD Excelsior builds the Smith's trading company. Our profits rise at least 30 gold / turn.
(17) 1670AD Beta builds a frigate. Production of a cannon starts. Lurkburg finishes the construction of a bank. Starts building a courthouse. Sverdlovsk builds a marketplace. Starts work on a musketman. Novgorod builds musketmen. (finally) Starts production of a library. One of our catapults is upgraded to a cannon. Military tradition is now only 4 turns away. A knight is produced in New Excelsior. Production of a university starts. A library is built in St. Petersburg. Time to supply the city with some more fresh water (aqueduct). The Egyptian city of Pi-Ramesses completes the Shakespeare's theatre.
(18) 1675AD Alpha builds a frigate. The people are getting unhappy, so the production of a Colosseum is ordered. Vladivostok builds a library. A new marketplace is in order. Another catapult is upgraded to a cannon.
(19) 1680AD Vovanville builds a bank. Time for some entertainment - a Colosseum will soon be built. Excelsior memorial builds another knight. People there are getting unhappy as well. Another Colosseum is being constructed.
(20) 1685AD A cannon is built in Beta. Construction of a new knight is ordered. A cathedral is built in Delta. More knights are needed (just to be re-equipped before being fully trained with rifles). A Knight is built in St. Lurking. Another one is in order.
Vovansim V is ready to pass on his crown. In his will, he writes: "Everything is ready for the conquest of the Egyptians. Before soon, your people, [insert the name of my heir here], will possess the knowledge of Military Tradition. That will allow your knights to be equipped with rifles. You will find most of the equestrian troops in Vladivostok. There is a barracks there, too, so it will be easy to upgrade the knights. There are two cannons in there, too. That will serve as a base for a first attack. I am confident, you know what to do next. You are well worth the challenge.
Vovansim
PS: I know there is not enough money left. Sorry!"
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	astrakhan.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	7734  
Spore page
Old December 16, 2001, 00:58   #86
vovan
Emperor

And, of course, the saved game:
Attached Files:
File Type: zip endturn16_1685ad.zip (166.6 KB, 3 views)
Spore page
Old December 16, 2001, 14:18   #87
Excelsior
Warlord

I'm going to play now!

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
The plan is that as soon as we get to military tradition, we would smash the Egyptians with the modern cavalry units.
Don't forget. We're the Russians which means we get Cossacks! It is not a terrific unit, but it will trigger a golden age.
Old December 16, 2001, 15:31   #88
Excelsior
Warlord

D'oh! Would you like to know what I just realized? We've got about a dozen knights, but we can't upgrade them to cavalry because we have Cossacks and you can't upgrade to a UU. Boy does that throw a wrench in the works.
Old December 16, 2001, 18:43   #89
Excelsior
Warlord

Excelsior the Conqueror
Excelsior the Conqueror ascended the throne of Russia in 1685AD after the passing of Vovansim V. For many years he had served in the Russian Army as a general, constantly urging the king to ready the Russians for an attack on Egypt. Now, as the supreme ruler of all Russia, he stood ready to make his dreams of conquest a reality.

Turn #1>1690AD
Russian Wise-Men have discovered the secrets of Military Tradition. Soon Russian Cossacks will overwhelm the Egyptians. The Wise-Men report that they believe a "Theory of Gravity" would be useful to the Russian people. Excelsior VI agrees.

The city of Excelsior completes a courthouse and is directed to train Cossacks for the Russian Army. Lamda completes a library and begins construction of a temple. Gamma completes a harbor and begins work on a new frigate for the Russian Navy. Wonderful news has come! The city of New Lurkburg has completed Wall Street! Soon the Russian coffers will be filled to overflowing! The people of New Lurkburg are unhappy, so Excelsior VI directs them to build a marketplace. Many cities producing knights are switched to Cossacks.

All knights are ordered to return to the nearest barracks for refitting with rifles. To the far east, the city of Mu is founded. It is ordered to build a temple. A caravel, loaded down with a cannon, a spearman, and a knight sets sail for Zeta.
Turn #2>1695AD
Cleopatra sends an emissary to the Russians offering to exchange territory maps. Excelsior declines the offer, but not before discovering that the Egyptians are willing to pay top dollar for the secret of Physics. Excelsior sends an emissary to the English. The emissary successfully negotiates a deal to trade the secrets of economics for the secrets of democracy plus 2 gold and 1 gold per turn.

The Russian caravel lands in Zeta. The troops are dispatched to the Egyptian border. A galley sets sail for Zeta, loaded with a knight and a musketman. The Russian knights return to Vladivostok, but cannot be upgraded. Excelsior is enraged to discover that the poor Russian knights are too stupid to learn how to pull a trigger.
Turn #3>1700AD
The city of Iota completes the construction of a marketplace and begins construction of a bank. Eight Russian knights are dispatched north to guard the cities of Yakutsk and Novgorod. A division of spearmen at Vladivostok is refitted with muskets.
Turn #4>1705AD
The city of Lurkburg completes a courthouse and begins construction of a new frigate. Krasnoyarsk completes a musketman and begins construction of a courthouse. Three divisions of spearmen are refitted with muskets.
Turn #5>1710AD
The city of Excelsior completes the training of a Cossack and begins another. Smolensk completes a library and begins construction of a courthouse. Zeta completes a frigate and begins work on a marketplace.
Turn #6>1715AD
Epsilon completes a bank and begins training a Cossack. The knights and musketmen from Vladivostok are dispatched to the Egyptian border.
Turn #7>1720AD
Beta, Delta, and St. Lurking all complete the training of Cossacks. The city of Mosfrog completes a cathedral and begins a bank. New Excelsior completes a university and begins training a Cossack. New Lurkburg completes a marketplace and begins building a bank. The Russian people are so proud to live under the benign rule of Excelsior VI that they decide to add a new wing onto his palace.
Turn #8>1725AD
Alpha completes a colosseum and begins training a new division of Cossacks. The Imperial Russian Frigate Raven arrives near the Egyptian city of Pithom. The Russian fleet sails from Gamma, carrying 4 new divisions of Cossacks to the eastern continent.
Turn #9>1730AD
The city of Gamma completes a new frigate and begins work on a bank. Eta completes a Cossack and begins a marketplace. Theta completes a university and begins a marketplace. Excelsior the Conqueror decides that the Raven should depart for the Egyptian city of Asyut. The eight Russian knights arrive at Novgorod. Six of them are sent north towards the Egyptian saltpeter colony while the other two are positioned along the border with Egypt to the east. To the south, the Cossacks arrive at Zeta while two new Russian frigates near the Egyptian city of Buto, the I.R.S. Corn Hawk and the I.R.S. Eagle.

The northern theater:

Turn #10>1735AD
The city of Excelsior completes the training of a Cossack while the city of Lurkburg completes a frigate. Both begin another of the same. Vovanville completes a colosseum and begins building a cathedral. Yakutsk completes a temple and begins a marketplace. Vladivostok completes a marketplace and begins a new bank. St. Petersburg completes an aqueduct and begins a courthouse. Minsk completes a courthouse and begins a marketplace. Whew!

The Cossacks move into position as the Raven arrives near Asyut. The Russian invasion of Egypt is nearing.
Turn #11>1740AD
"Now begins our time of trials, my people. We have been at peace too long. We have become decadent. The wasteful Egyptians provoke us with their every breath, and yet we do nothing."

"No longer, my people! We shall rise up against our oppressors. We shall rise up against our foes. We shall rise up and destroy Cleopatra and all Egyptians. From this point forward, I declare that we are at war with Egypt!"
---"A Call to Arms," Excelsior VI, 1740AD

The war begins in the south. Russian cannon divisions bombard Egyptian spearmen and longbowmen near Buto. Softened by the bombardment, they are quickly decimated by Russian knights. Then the Cossacks swept in, hitting Buto before the Egyptians had time to react. Two consecutive attacks by Russian Cossacks quickly destroy the city's defenses and the Russians capture Buto. Unfortunately, the entire population has armed themselves in resistance. Two divisions of knights are installed to deal with the problem with 3 musketmen on the way. The roaming Russian Cossacks capture 8 Egyptian workers fleeing from the battle. The I.R.S. Eagle attacks and sinks an Egyptian caravel off the coast of Buto.

To the north, the I.R.S. Raven bombards the city of Asyut, destroying the temple there. Russian knights destroy the Egyptian saltpeter colony, capturing Egypt's only supply of gunpowder. Further, these great victories by Russian Cossacks have heralded a golden age in the history of Russia!

Turn #12>1745AD
Egyptian caravels land longbowmen on the shores of Buto while Egyptian spearmen move up near Novgorod. Russian troops in Buto quell two resistors, but the city falls into civil disorder. Excelsior the Conqueror orders his advisor, "Let them riot! I don't care!"

The I.R.S. Eagle puts into port a Buto for repairs, while the I.R.S. Corn Hawk attacks an Egyptian caravel attempting to land troops in a counterattack. After a fierce battle, the Corn Hawk defeats the caravel and its crew achieves elite status. The longbowmen are destroyed by a Russian counterattack and three musketmen fortify themselves in Buto. The Raven bombards Asyut but fails to do any damage. The 3 Russian knights attack Asyut, but the entrenched spearmen prove too difficult a challenge and the Russians are routed.
Turn #13>1750AD
An Egyptian spearmen counterattacks and destroys one of the knights near Asyut. To the south, two Egyptian caravels attack the weakened Corn Hawk hoping to destroy it before it can return to port. Both are destroyed, but at great cost in lives. By the time the Corn Hawk returns to port, it is little more than a burning hulk (1 hit point left out of ten!). Lamda completes a temple and begins work on a marketplace. Beta, Delta, Epsilon, and St. Lurking all train Cossacks and begin training more.

The Raven bombards the counterattacking spearmen, weakening them severely. Though it takes two divisions of knights, the spearmen are eventually destroyed. A new frigate arrives at the front, the I.R.S. Little Wing. It bombards and destroys the temple of Pithom. Knights retreating from the battle of Asyut arrive at Novgorod.
Turn #14>1752AD
Excelsior and Alpha complete the training of Cossacks and begin training the same. Lurkburg completes a new frigate. Sevastopol completes a courthouse and begins a marketplace. Excelsior Memorialis completes a colosseum and begins work on a new galleon. New Lurkburg completes a bank and begins work on a cathedral.

Egyptian cavalry is spotted near Novgorod! The Russian knights make preparations to strike preemptively. Unfortunately, Excelsior's generals report that the Knight Corps cannot make a strike due to the shattered condition of the military at this time. Only two divisions are battle ready, but they will be insufficient to deter the attacking force and will be vulnerable to counterattack! Excelsior decides to hold at Novgorod and heal his force before risking them on the battlefield again.

Turn #15>1754AD
Egyptian cavalry attacks Novgorod. The first wave is repulsed by the city's musketmen, but the second breaks through, destroying a defending knight division. More cavalry is seen moving into position. The I.R.S. Raven bombards the Egyptian cavalry, doing minimal damage. Russian knights counterattack Egyptian positions, destroying 3 cavalry and 1 spearman. Fresh troops arrive in Zeta, 5 Cossacks ready for battle.

Iota builds a bank and begins building a cathedral. The income of the Russian treasury is now 432 gold per turn.
Turn #16>1756AD
The English wish to trade with the Russians. Excelsior strikes a deal quickly, the Russian secrets of Physics in exchange for Free Artistry, 46 gold, and 4 gold per turn. Egyptian counterattacks near Novgorod destroy a division of knights. Mosfrog completes a bank and begins construction of a colosseum. New Excelsior completes a Cossack and begins construction of a cathedral. A division of Russian knights attacks the spearmen near Novgorod, destroying them and achieving elite status.

Now Excelsior must decide what to do about the Egyptian musketmen entrenched in the hills outside Yakutsk. Obviously they must not be allowed to stay, but destroying them will difficult given the mountainous terrain. He decides to authorize the attack anyway. Through great bravery a single division of Russian Cossacks was sufficient to destroy the musketmen. This enormous stroke of luck allows the remainder of the Cossack divisions to continue on to their destination of Novgorod uninterrupted.

Russian inventors have discovered the "Theory of Gravity" and the secrets of Nationalism! The Russians have entered a new stage of development! The Russians have entered the industrial age! Russian inventors are set are to work on the secrets of a very useful idea, the Steam Engine! Further, the Russian people are so pleased at these advances that they offer to expand Excelsior VI's palace once again.
Turn #17>1758AD
Further Egyptian counterattacks destroy another division of knights, but the cavalry involved have exposed themselves to future counterattack. The city of Excelsior has completed the training of another Cossack. It begins construction of a great wonder, Newton's University, which it will complete in 14 turns! Lurkburg completes a frigate and begins construction of a harbor. St. Lurking trains a Cossack and begins a barracks. St. Petersburg completes a courthouse and begins a bank.

Russian frigates bombard the Egyptian cities of Pompeii, Pithom, and Lisht, doing insignificant damage. The Raven bombards counterattacking Egyptian forces. Russian Cossacks attack, destroying an Egyptian cavalry division and an Egyptian Pikeman division.
Turn #18>1760AD
Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Epsilon train Cossacks and continue training the same. Vovanville completes a cathedral and begins building a harbor. Gamma completes a bank and begins building a galleon. Theta builds a marketplace and begins building a cathedral. Rostov builds a temple and begins a library. Pompeii, Lisht, Alexandria, and Pithom are all attacked by Russian frigates, but they sustain little damage. Russian knights attack Egyptian forces near Novgorod destroying a division of Spearmen, a division of Pikemen, and a division of cavalry, but one division of Russian knights is destroyed.
Turn #19>1762AD
The Corn Hawk, off the Egyptian coast, spots Egyptian knights and war chariots moving up towards Russia. 3 divisions of cavalry are landed off the coast of Riga! This is disastrous! The only defense the city has is a single division of antiquated spearmen! 5 Russian Cossacks arrive in Novgorod.

Excelsior Memorialis completes a galleon and begins construction of a frigate. St. Lurking completes a barracks and begins construction the training of a Cossack. The I.R.S. Corn Hawk destroys an Egyptian caravel off the coast of Alexandria. It set course back to Russia for repairs.
Turn #20>1764AD
Though valiant in their efforts, the spearmen at Riga fall to the superior Egyptian cavalry. Egyptian counterattacks near Novgorod destroy one division of knights. Odessa completes a courthouse and begins a temple. Eta completes a marketplace and begins a courthouse. The I.R.S. Eagle is destroyed by an Egyptian caravel. Five new divisions of Cossacks arrive at Zeta.

Excelsior the Conqueror decided to personally lead this counterattack against the Egyptians. One exposed division of Egyptian cavalry was quickly destroyed by Russian knights. Then Excelsior himself led the charge of Cossacks against the Egyptian knights.

The battle went well. Six divisions of Egyptian knights and one division of war chariots were annihilated, but Excelsior the Conqueror was killed. He did not want to die. There were still battles to be fought and won. There were still Egyptians to destroy. But fate does not give us the luxury of choosing whence we live and die. In his absence, the command of the Russian Army fell to General Lurking VI, the new leader of the Russian people.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip endturn17.zip (146.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Excelsior; December 16, 2001 at 18:57.
Old December 16, 2001, 19:09   #90
American Guy
Settler

Keep it up