Old November 26, 2001, 18:38   #1
thestupid
Settler

Local Time: 09:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
War in less than 3 turns: Exploit RoP
This is my war strategy to conquer other civs located on the same continent. If used properly and patiently, it could help you to conquer the whole civ in a few turns.

1. get lots of workers....
2. be friendly to the targetted civ, get them to sign RoP (Right of Passage) w/ you.
3. Then, send in your worker to build railroad to connect to all cities of the targetted civ. While this will takes some turns, you can start creating a LARGE number of troops.
4. once all cities are connected, send in your troops to ALL cities of the targetted civ. Make sure you don't start the war before you have all cities surrounded by your troops. Since all cities are connected w/ railroad, you should be able to finish it easily within a turn.
5. Once all troops are properly located, voila, start your attack.

If you have prepared enough troops, you should be able to take out the all cities in few turns.

I have used this to conquered the whole America continent . It works best if you have Armor, since it can two attack points.
Old November 26, 2001, 19:21   #2
Sytass
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:33
Well, it may work. But the other civs are getting weary when they see you breaking or abusing treaties.
Old November 26, 2001, 19:53   #3
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

you dont' need to wait until armour to do this ..... iron working/secure iron/ build vet swordsman....charge...

when you have horses...add them to the mix.....

you can effectively knock three or more civs out of the ancient era.... add some temples and librarires and you have culute as well

despot makes the rush of any troop early way too easy....

your strat is good but can be applied waaaaaaaaaay earlier in the game......and can be applied when you get knights/samurai/ or in the calvalry era as well.....
Old November 26, 2001, 20:57   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just dont expect to ever sign another RoP agreement with another civ. Ever. Or have friendly relations with other civs.
Old November 26, 2001, 22:42   #5
eMarkM
Warlord

Local Time: 17:33
Yeah, I'd be careful how this would effect your rep. The AI is likely to not do any deals with you if you pull stunts like this.

OTOH, when a RoP expires after 20 turns you may peacefully cancel it. Perhaps then you could position your troops, cancel RoP and then demand tribute or something. That way there's no hit on your rep. Haven't tried it, but might work.

e
Old November 26, 2001, 22:50   #6
MarshalN
Warlord

Yup, I learned this the hard way. I had a war with someone, got someone else to ally with me against that civ that I was warring..... and then I pull out of the war. Everyone from that point on didn't want to have anything to do with me in any treaties. I'd imagine it'd be worse if I actually attacked my "allies".
Old November 27, 2001, 01:32   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

you don't need an ally in this game.....so long as you don't p!ss off your neighbors...... and a war doesn't always piss them off..

to quote civ2 reviews (i know this is civ3 but it applies)

"make peace with your stronger neighbors, isolate and conquer your weaker ones."

ok its real simple....i know some of you want to build your civs up....great go ahead...you can start with temples barracks and libraries.... you also need a military..... early on some sort of iron working unit and horse unit are your stronger units...... instead of leaving them behind and being all good two shoes ....go and take some land.....clear some breathing space....

make an agreement with someone .... if you have alot of land behind you then make peace with your first neighbor in front of you ...get the ROP and you two can defend your borders..if someone is behind you...well he is isolated...so go get him....

odds are you can drag someone into an agreement with just a minimal amount of gold..

But remember, while its nice to grow peacefully , you need a military and last i heard the boys get restless when there is no action.....and have you noticed ala civ1&2 that the ai can become quite powerfull if you let them go unchecked....

the number one rule in civ is to keep the ai at arms length ...one way or another

I just don't understand all the peaceniks...surgical strike or world war...there is no difference..... besides its boring to have everyone love you when you can easily conduct wars of precision and have high culture...which means everyone is in awe of you anyways
Old November 27, 2001, 01:40   #8
Sytass
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:33
"besides its boring to have everyone love you when you can easily conduct wars of precision and have high culture"

I don't know, I find it an interesting act of balance when I fall behind somehow (be it lack of ressources or my own slowlyness) and then to try to keep out of trouble, playing the diplomatic card to assure my nation's safety from aggressors.
Old November 27, 2001, 01:53   #9
War4ever
Emperor

i just punk out the first nation i c .....steal workers and pray i can hold them off....i play japanese for the ability for the easy govt switch and for the esier upgrades from the military...

i find it easy to wipe someone out or even two civs out real early....
i play standard maps as i find the big ones just too long later in the game....

war is a chance...bettter to take that chance early and make breathing room than too take on everyone later when they are more powerfull.....

i size up my neighbor...if he can't defend my onslaught i c no point in letting him stick around until he can

civ3 plays out the same way civ1&2 did......

strike first, strike fast, strike hard, and always always strike last!

recipe for success.......
Old November 27, 2001, 03:08   #10
DK36
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:33
Rep has never been a problem in ANY of my games. Whenever I go to war with a civ, no matter what kind of agreements and how many of them I had every civ supports me and they'll agree to a declaration of war at no cost.

In fact, this works so well that many times when I try to conquer someone and since the AI is really imperialistic and goes off into distant islands, I ussually cut a deal with the civ for him to give me all of his cities but his capital for the peace treaty. And then suddenly, wham.. he's dead

Regent level by the way.
Old November 27, 2001, 11:04   #11
eMarkM
Warlord

This debate isn't about being a peacenik vs warmonger. I'm no peacenik, I like to take control of my continent in my games as War4 suggests. Or at least genocide to one civ to give me some breathing room. I think being aggressive and starting wars is critical to success in this game.

You're right, the AI has no problem with you going to war in general. It doesn't damage your rep. But if you go to war with someone, make a peace treaty, and then violate that treaty in a backstab move within the initial 20 turns, that WILL affect your rep. That's maybe fine in the late game when perhaps you don't care about rep, but not in ancient times when you'll have to live with the black mark on your record through the whole game. You won't get many trades that way. On lower levels you can get away without trading so much and just be a backstabing ass, but it's essential on the higher levels to maintain good trade relations w/ other civs. Once that 20 turn period is over, however, feel free to restart hostilities and they'll be no effect to rep.

Same goes for RoP. First 20 turns, don't violate, after that you can peacefully cancel it and start a war w/o rep damage. I don't violate peace agreements & RoP within the initial 20 turns. It's not worth it. The AI remembers backstabs and says things like: "I'll give you a right of passage: straight to hell!" when you ask of RoP after you've backstabbed someone else on an agreement. And forget about getting any kind of per turn trades in luxuries or cash after backstabs within 20 turns of agreement. Better to try to provoke your enemy into declaring war themselves or just wait it out.

e
Old November 27, 2001, 13:13   #12
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 13:33
Quote:
[SIZE=1] civ3 plays out the same way civ1&2 did......

strike first, strike fast, strike hard, and always always strike last!

recipe for success.......
The difference is that in Civ3, you can a have a great peaceful game using diplo & trade. I suspect that pascifism is unpopular under the rule of War4ever.
Old November 27, 2001, 14:47   #13
War4ever
Emperor

i agree ...and have had peacefull games using diplomacy as well.... i guess i just get itchy when i have these troops kicking around collecting dust.

i am tired of buying a tech or discovering one on my own and then selling it to the ai for huge amounts of cash....

everyone knows you can buy a tech for x amount of dollars, sell it to countries b,c,d,e, and end up maing huge lump sum gold, and alot of gold per turn.

that stategy is so passe now to me.....

just think how dull civ3 would be without the brutal corruption...

at the same time ..the military rush is kinda weak too...it always works (i play emp level now raging hordes) about to make the deity jump.....

the game plays out the same for me..... ancient rush to clip/destroy 1-3 civs...medieval rush to create vassal states/eliminate 1-3 civs... modern armour blitzkrieg to crush the rest....

that is if my territory doesn't get me the win first....or if my culture doesn't kick in first or if i don't launch the spaceship..

it took me longer to beat civ2 then it has to beat civ3

once i realized the game was the same other than acquiring resources (not too difficult) and that i needed culture to keep cities if i wasn't going to raze them, there was no challenge unless i started in the jungle

i won't play a game if i get a nomad.......and i have stopped building pyramids b/c they are too powerfull with the early despot..

japanese civ is great for controlling the board...quick revolutions and the upgrades from barbs/wars make you almost unstoppable.

the samurai is awesome and if you get it first ....wreaks havoc on anything

i used to like the persians but ironworking makes swords for any civ and horses (which look justlike the civ2 knight) are powerfull like the civ1 chariot....

i guess 10 yrs of civing has given me too many tactics and civ3 is too horribly flawed at this point to provide a challenge.....

though i got my a$$ smoked on deity about two weeks ago and decided emp was a better learning level..

this game is over on standard maps by the time you get out of despotism..... whether the world has been conquered or not.....
Old November 27, 2001, 14:52   #14
War4ever
Emperor

now when i used to play civ and civ2 i would play large worlds...or huge...... loved them and they required more planning as you couldn't always get to everyone in time

alas my ancient p2 266 cannot run the larger maps as it just takes way too long for the ai to move in the latter stages of the game....

so all my comments should be taken for what they are.....standard size maps only.....i envy those of you with the patience to wait for the ai to take its turns on larger maps....
Old November 27, 2001, 14:59   #15
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 13:33
War:

You seem to have a good grasp of Civ3 strategy. Are you the type of player who might play with tactics that are not the best for beating AI? Say, leading a totally democratic civ to victory? Or some other such strategy that is different from "the best way".
All of my games (warlike or not) have had one or two unique circumstances that have made the games great. Whether it was a resource thing, or a military alliance thing, it was situations that would not have happened in civ2, and they were all great fun.
I find that the interactions between powerful civs (esp. after nationalism) in the later game are interesting.

I just want you to have fun war4ever, that's all.
Old November 27, 2001, 15:14   #16
War4ever
Emperor

half Lotus:

i play alot of different styles of civ.....

Dont let the name fool you, i like peace too. What i have noticed is the need to carve out a niche in all my games.

my favorite game to date is one where i was playing as the Persians..... i had maybe 15 cities a couple of wonders (GL , sistine chapel) built with leaders of course.....

anyways i killed two ancient civs and pinned another behind me..... and i went along peacefully building every improvement i could whether i could affoard it or not.

used the tech trading strategy and was raking in a cool 350g per turn...... tricked everyone into declaring war against the Chinese, i built infantry and calvalry in hordes, drafting each turn for the hell of it.....

built one immortal all game....... he picked a fight with a chinese unit and won...i went in to a golden age...550g per turn and steamrolled my way through the chinese and left the germans and french alive before i won diplomatically.....(kinda anti climatic)

i waged the war in democracy and stayed that way the whole game......

i play alot of civ2 Multi player....so tactics are different....but i have never forgotten how to crush the ai...save the first few games of civ3 where i was whupped b/c i didn't understand a few things...

i love the game...i love the concept.... i think it is poorly implemented and b/c of that the game suffers where it should excell.

the only victory i have yet to achive is a cultural one... but now i have taken steps so that i should achieve that in no time

realism in the ancient era is using technology that your opponents dont have against them this has happened all through history..... and the despot rush is too powerfull.... why even bother with monarchy.... it cost too much gold to rush build things you could just sacrifice under a dictator