Old November 27, 2001, 05:17   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It seems like they have made the same mistake with the reputation part as those ctp programmers did I just started a new game and was friends with everybody. Then suddenly those damned Germans attacked me with any reason. The next turn I wanted to make a deal with the Indians, but the very first thing they said was that I have betrayed the Germans, but I have never had a single unit in Germany and I haven't even attack any German units at that time.

This is something that also needs to be fixed, cuz I don't see any reason why I should loose reputation because of being betrayed
Old November 27, 2001, 08:05   #2
G Spot Tornado
Settler

Local Time: 18:35
Civ3 would be a better game if they adapted a "reputation concept" like in Europa Universalis.
Old November 27, 2001, 09:03   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
Maybe, have never seen it...at least not yet
Old November 27, 2001, 19:49   #4
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
Re: reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
It seems like they have made the same mistake with the reputation part as those ctp programmers did I just started a new game and was friends with everybody. Then suddenly those damned Germans attacked me with any reason. The next turn I wanted to make a deal with the Indians, but the very first thing they said was that I have betrayed the Germans, but I have never had a single unit in Germany and I haven't even attack any German units at that time.

This is something that also needs to be fixed, cuz I don't see any reason why I should loose reputation because of being betrayed
There are other things you can betray the Germans with besides attacking them. One way: You make a military alliance with the Germans against the Zulus. Then before the 20-turn military alliance is over you make peace with the Zulus. By making bringing the Germans into a war & making peace with the enemy behind their back you've betrayed them.

Using nukes will also hurt your reputation.
Old November 27, 2001, 22:59   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:35
The Indians were probably in kahoots with the Germans all along. It's called Politics.

The good news is, you can play by the same rules!
Well, I hope it's good news -- if the game gets too easy, without any 'surprises', it may become less 'FUN'.

Manipulate them on the political/trade/battle front. You can do it better than they can.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 27, 2001, 23:54   #6
thinkingamer
Warlord

Does the computer players have reputation?
if they dont this game will make me very mad....... until civ4
Old November 28, 2001, 04:49   #7
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 12:35
I asked about this b4 and even asked Firaxis but so far no response, on how to determine your reputation or if your actions will affect it, except for that 20 year rule.
Old November 28, 2001, 06:56   #8
Seneca
King

Local Time: 17:35
Re: Re: reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew

Using nukes will also hurt your reputation.
Yeah, but anyone who complains about my ICBMs knows what they can expect.
Old November 28, 2001, 08:26   #9
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 18:35
If this is indeed the case (relations insensitive to the war starter) then it would maybe be an explanation for the fact that I can raze, loot, attack and betray all my neighbours with impunity. =]
Old November 28, 2001, 13:37   #10
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:35
You can also "betray" an AI by agreeing to a trade embargo against a third party and then going ahead and trading with the third party. Wandering around on their territory after they told you to leave is also seen as a betrayal of them by you. This one can be tough if you suddenly find yourself among newly founded cities. Nonetheless, the other AI will act as though you started the war.
Old November 29, 2001, 16:16   #11
Pyrodrew
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupanzer
You can also "betray" an AI by agreeing to a trade embargo against a third party and then going ahead and trading with the third party.
Resources are untradeable (go grey) when you have an embargo against another Civ or vice-versa. Thus, I figured that is what the embargo was limited to. Making the resources only "go grey" & leaving Techs, Cities, & other things still tradeable would be misleading at to what the embargo was for. When an embargo is in place either everything should "go grey" or only those things which are untradeable should "go grey".

Diplomacy Bug/Flaw - The manual also says, "even allies are likely to ask for some compensation for the loss of trade." I have NEVER had any AI Civ ask for compensation for an embargo. Either they refuse to because they are currently trading with that Civ and/or have a MPP... OR they accept without asking for ANY additional "compensation". The AI Civs never ask me to embargo anyone either... the only things they ever ask from me is for peace, tribute, or my world map.