Old November 27, 2001, 06:26   #1
Rushton
Settler

Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some ideas, some questions and some problems. Still on the learning curve!
So, Iīve had the game for a few days and Iīve played a couple of games as Britain and as the USA. In each game I was in the lead at about 500 AD but in the US game I got passed by the Egyptians .

Observations:

1) Just like CivII the more cities the better.

2) Unlike CivII I donīt seem to have any chance of getting well ahead in tech - even with loads of Unis and libraries.

3) Culture is great and really a great buzz if you play peacefully.

4) Iīve never had saltpeter and so getting gunpowder first was a waste of time

Questions:

1) Iīve played as expansionist civs but they really donīt seem to be the best as the scout advantage is gone quickly and the advances that you have get rapidly traded by the other civs as they find them What suggestions do we have as to the best civs?

2) Iīve read that early aggression helps a lot, especially on high levels. Do you then have problems because your reputation is shot or is there a trick to get them to declare war on YOU?

3) Is mindless expansion (building cities all the time) the only sure way to get ahead? After all, the AI civs do this and if you donīt, well that was how I lost my lead I reckon.

Tactics:

My plan for my next game is to take a militaristic, industrious civ, attack early and expand rapidly. Head for Monarchy and stay in it (for the military bonuses) until I have peace later and can change to democracy. Then go for science. Iīll go for culture and wonders in a couple of key cities too.

Well,what do we all think? All advice gratefully received.

Paul
Old November 27, 2001, 08:06   #2
Monster
Settler

In Civ3 it's not the more cities the better. Corruption will kill your city production. For every map size there's an optimum number of cities (I believe 16 or 20 on a normal map), getting above that will result in a lot of corrupted cities.

Although you'll often want to keep those cities (if only to deny anyone else from getting/settling there), going for all out expansion isn't going to wotk. Fully corrupted cities requite a lot of attention.

Initially you should expand fairly quick, just because the AI is really quick . Secure your land before the AI can.

In civ3 techs that are already discovered by other civs are cheaper to research. If 3 out of 8 civs already have a certain tech, it costs only 5/8 it's normal cost. Because of this it's harder to get a great lead in tech. Also the AI are happy traders and a newly discovered tech by one AI civ is often sold/traded to everyone else in no time.

Gunpowder isn't the great advance is used to be. You'll defintely need it, but not as badly as in Civ2. But you never know if you have Saltpeter unless you get Gunpowder

As for civ abilities, I really like Religious. Cheaper temples etc means quicker culture and only a one turn anarchy when switching governments is great, especially when you go warlike and want to switch to republic/democracy in times of peace. Expansionistic is great on large/huge maps. You can scout much quicker and because there are more huts on large maps you get more (and better because of expansionistic) goodies. Good for a quick start.
Old November 27, 2001, 10:14   #3
Rushton
Settler

So, itīs tricky as all out expansion and world conquer is tough because of coruption; a great science lead is tough as the AI civs have an easier job of catching up etc etc

I like the suggestion about the religious civs and will try that. Religious and industrious sounds good - so that will be the the Egyptians then. Sounds good but what about early conquest to stifle the other civs?

Paul
Old November 27, 2001, 10:25   #4
MisterMuppet
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:35
The AI Civs will trade techs, just make sure you research one they don't have yet then trade it with each of them for gold/techs/luxuries/whatever. More opponents means more "customers".
If not make sure you have the Great Library then at least you won't fall too far behind, until it is obsolete anyway.