Old November 28, 2001, 17:34   #1
Hurry
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How to use your first leader?
As you all know, leaders are very rare, so you really need to use them wisely. I have always gotten one in my games, but in some I have actually gotten excactly one (1) leader. Mostly in the early part of the game.

Now, my question is how you prefer to use this first leader. You have two options:

A) Rush-build a wonder (like the Forbidden Palace), or
B) Build an army

You need a victorious army to be able to build the Heroic Epic, as well as well as the Military Academy. So if you plan on using armies, you will need to sacrifice one leader. On the other hand, rush-building the FP, the Pyramids or any other useful Wonder can also give you a needed edge in the game.

Any suggestions?
Old November 28, 2001, 17:45   #2
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 13:39

My thought is to build an army and go out and kick something with it. That gets you access to two minor wonders which you can always build.

IMHO, being able to build two more minor wonders is worth more than rush building one.

And you don't want to build your FP too early, anyway.
Old November 28, 2001, 18:14   #3
Venger
King

Local Time: 11:39
Unless you are in a race to build a critical wonder, build the Army. You can then get a victory with it, then you can build the Heroic Epic, which will increase the number of leaders you are likely to get during the game...

I've gotten loads of leaders in my game - I think I'm on my 6th one. After making armies early, I've determined they are most useful only for the first army, then for wonders...

Venger
Old November 28, 2001, 18:15   #4
jazion
Settler

Local Time: 09:39
Just depends on the circumstance.

Last time I got a leader, I knew somebody was close to getting the great library done. I wanted that. Used the leader to hurry the project.

The game I'm playing now I have a leader. Don't think I'll use him for that this time.

Guess it just depends on what's important, what's going on in your game.

First time I got a leader I hurried the great wall project while undergoing heavy attack (from all directions, I pissed everybody off on purpose cause I just felt like being a butt). I was victorious in every battle after that all around when they attacked one of my cities, really paid off. AI finally gave up and made peace.
Old November 28, 2001, 18:20   #5
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:39
if the pyramids are around i build that...if not then the sistine chapel..... otherwise i build an army.....

of course if i have wicked food then i forgo the pyramids and build an army in hopes of getting more later from the hero epic....
Old November 28, 2001, 18:24   #6
Deathray
Warlord

Local Time: 17:39
I always go for the army. I like armies. They're nice. IMO having the ability to built armies in the game outweighs 20 or so turns of production. Armies are fun.
Old November 28, 2001, 18:25   #7
Dhaeman
Settler

Local Time: 17:39
I've always gone with an army first...those guys are fun and if your using a mod where the army costs are not insanely overpriced, the wonders come in handy too to build them on your own.
Old November 28, 2001, 18:41   #8
Wolfgang76
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:39
Army
I always use my leader for the amry position as the two wonders add to your options. With Epic you also stand a fair chance to get another leader which should always be saved to rushing wonders that you need.

2cents.
Old November 28, 2001, 18:54   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
If you are intending a warfare orientated game, the army and epic gives you good chances of more leaders. I got far more leaders as the non-military Babylonians than I did in all my games as the Romans just because I was busy driving for a domination/elimination victory against some large established opponents.
Old November 28, 2001, 19:12   #10
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 12:39
as someone else interested in the answer to this question...

Most people seem to prefer building an army with their leader. My question, though, is -- if you could load any military units into the army, in any time period, what units would it be? Also, for each time period, what units would you load, if you had to build the army that time period?

-- adaMada