Old November 28, 2001, 21:17   #1
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 11:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CIV3 UUs

I'm surprised no one yet has suggested an enhanced missile unit as the UU for the Americans. The Americans are known for missile superiority.
Old November 29, 2001, 15:13   #2
KoalaBear33
Warlord

Local Time: 12:40
I don't think Americans are known for their missiles. I think the Russians matched the Americans during the Cold War. The problem with missiles is that it is hard to say what is a superior missile. I think as long as the missile has range and can do sufficient damage they are all the same. In addition to that, the # of missiles determine the power more than how good each missile is. For example, who is considered to have better nuclear weapons China or Israel? From what I understand, China's weapons are inferior to Israel's but China has many more nukes so China is considered to be superior.

I think the current American UU is good enough. Americans are actually renowned for their air superiority, and definitely not their missiles.

KoalaBear33
Old November 29, 2001, 20:38   #3
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:40
i would agree with the above poster on this....
Old November 29, 2001, 20:59   #4
jgflg
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:40
You could argue that smart bombs/cruise missiles are a unique weapon that America utilizes. Think about those images from the Gulf War when they were showing camera shots of bombs being guided down the chimneys of Sadam's houses and factories.

Maybe a smart bomb UU that allows that allows you to specify an improvement for destruction/unit for damage when used.
Old November 30, 2001, 05:22   #5
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 18:40
Quote:
Originally posted by KoalaBear33
I don't think Americans are known for their missiles. I think the Russians matched the Americans during the Cold War. The problem with missiles is that it is hard to say what is a superior missile. I think as long as the missile has range and can do sufficient damage they are all the same. In addition to that, the # of missiles determine the power more than how good each missile is. For example, who is considered to have better nuclear weapons China or Israel? From what I understand, China's weapons are inferior to Israel's but China has many more nukes so China is considered to be superior.
The Soviets not only had less missles than the Americans, but only 1 out of every 8 would even leave the launch pad. Of those, 1 of every 6 would actually hit the target. This, of course, was learned after billions were spend on the arms race. China is the same situation....they may have more than Isreal, but the Isreali targeting systems are American-made, the Chinese got theirs from the Soviet surplus sales of the early 90's.

Quote:
I think the current American UU is good enough. Americans are actually renowned for their air superiority, and definitely not their missiles.

KoalaBear33
I'm sure Sadam Hussein would agree with you there.
Old November 30, 2001, 12:23   #6
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:40
I would have preferred to see an earlier UU for the Americans, and something more unique than merely a technolocal improvement.

Something like a Frontiersman or a Cavalry unit. The Frontiersman would be a Davy Crokett type; more defense (harder to hit from shooting from behind trees) and more mobile in difficult terrain. The Cavalry would be the type of post-Civil War, carbine-on-horse shooting unit. Slash attack and run...

Both were relatively unique to America.
Old November 30, 2001, 21:22   #7
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 11:40
I posted before remembering that missiles in Civ3 are bombard units ONLY. Since they cannot attack, they can never win a battle, and never trigger a golden age.

How about Green Berets instead--a stronger version of the Marine.
Old December 1, 2001, 03:08   #8
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior

How about Green Berets instead--a stronger version of the Marine.
Neat, but I would prefer something more naval for the Americans. Perhaps an enhanced nuclear sub, the Los-Angeles class; or a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. If you wanted to give them a land unit, an upgraded Modern Tank, the Abrahm would be nice too.
Old December 4, 2001, 08:14   #9
tomcat ha
Warlord

i think a A12/SR 71 blackbird woud do better.
high speed (3500-4000 k/m per hour)
range 5000 km.
need`s Iron(there is no titanium in the game) and Oil.