Old November 28, 2001, 21:41   #1
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 09:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Final Days (finally)
I've deiced to release my latest scenario for ToT entitled "Final Days", about the true heros of WWII. I've just emailed apolyton and civfanatics about hosting it so hopefully it will be downloadable soon. It might take a while because its almost 20mb zipped up. I have only playtested up to Kursk, and originally I wasn't going to release it until I playtested the whole thing but alas, I don't have time for that. I doubt anyone will play past Stalingrad in the first place since it's one of my standard large scale wars with turns that take over 10 minutes to complete. I will admit that I did not do such a complete job on this since there are probably bugs in the latter half of the events, and some things I may have missed. If there is enough interest I may update the scenario over Christmas to fix some things. When the scen gets uploaded I will post links here.
Old November 28, 2001, 23:04   #2
klesh
King

Local Time: 13:40
Re: Final Days (finally)
Quote:
Originally posted by MagyarCrusader
I've deiced to release my latest scenario for ToT entitled "Final Days", about the true heros of WWII.
And who exactly would that be?

-FMK.
Old November 29, 2001, 01:26   #3
Hobbes
Warlord

Local Time: 10:40
Quote:
And who exactly would that be?
The Hungarians no doubt!

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer
Old November 29, 2001, 15:44   #4
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Well... I was going to say the Einstatz groups but I like the Hungarians as well.
Old November 29, 2001, 15:52   #5
Marko
Prince

Local Time: 17:40
Great!
I was waiting this scenario for ages...
Old November 30, 2001, 14:55   #6
Marko
Prince

Hi Mike!

I can playtest your scenario. And after 1943 too! I like playing scenarios where human is in defensive side.
Old November 30, 2001, 18:47   #7
Cal
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko
I like playing scenarios where human is in defensive side.
That makes me laugh for reasons I won't explain yet.
Old November 30, 2001, 19:26   #8
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:40
Quote:
Well... I was going to say the Einstatz groups but I like the Hungarians as well.
I'm hoping this is a mistake or just a bad joke.
http://www.aish.com/holocaust/overview/he05n19.htm
Old November 30, 2001, 22:56   #9
Goingonit
Warlord

Local Time: 12:40
Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh

http://www.aish.com/holocaust/overview/he05n19.htm
I'm inclined to remebmer MC's posts on the OT forum in the days after 9/11... I have no idea what is going on here.
Old December 1, 2001, 01:50   #10
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Quote:
Quote:
I'm inclined to remebmer MC's posts on the OT forum in the days after 9/11... I have no idea what is going on here.
Okay, you canadians have had your say, it was in bad taste, now let's move on and get back on subject.
Old December 1, 2001, 05:45   #11
Scott F
Prince

Let's not turn another thread into an argument about the Holocaust, its participants, or how it should be depicted in scenarios.
Old December 1, 2001, 16:11   #12
Jimmywax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott F
Let's not turn another thread into an argument about the Holocaust, its participants, or how it should be depicted in scenarios.
Well said Scott.
Old December 2, 2001, 06:34   #13
SetuSinger
Chieftain

At first, the name of this bastards was not "Einstatzgruppen" but "Einsatzgruppen".
And I totally agree with techumseh. Hope, this was just a bad joke from MC

Join the Þ ß ð ä ö ü õ - Front!
Old December 2, 2001, 13:44   #14
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Does anybody know where I can download a reliable FREE ftp program? Thunderfall said he couldn't take my scenario through email but I must upload it to a website first.

Oh, and I don't care how many people are offended, I thought it was hilarious.
Old December 2, 2001, 14:43   #15
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

A bad joke then. MJ, you're getting weirder every year!
Old December 2, 2001, 22:32   #16
ravagon
King

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I had been under the impression that the term referred to the SS panzer divisions - one of the most capable and best trained fighting units in the entire war, NOT the SS security police butchers that murdered millions of civilians.
Extremely poor taste...

And Stalingrad ... ? Now where have I heard that name before?
Old December 3, 2001, 12:43   #17
SetuSinger
Chieftain

Quote:
Quote:
I had been under the impression that the term referred to the SS panzer divisions - one of the most capable and best trained fighting units in the entire war, NOT the SS security police butchers that murdered millions of civilians.
The Waffen-SS, to which the SS Panzer Divisions belonged, was not the same thing as the Einsatzgruppe. The Einsatzgruppe was a special SS-unit created to kill jews ,"not arish" people and "enemies of the Reich" behind the frontlines in the citys occupied by the german Wehrmacht at the eastern front.

By the way: The Waffen-SS troops and parts of the Wehrmacht also did horrible warcrimes, so I think, to call them "heroes" would be showing very, very bad taste...

Old December 3, 2001, 16:52   #18
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Oh yeah, to call yourself "Pol Pot" isn't exactly showing good taste either? And you can go screw yourself because the Waffen SS were incredible soldiers who faced more danger and showed more valor than you can ever imagine. A great uncle of mine was a soldier in the Hungarian army untill 1944, when the Germans occupied the country. In his village, they lined up all the males and first asked his friend if he would join the SS. He said no and a bullet was put into his head. The next person they asked to join was my great uncle, he said "absolutely." He knew how to speak 7 different languages and quickly became an officer in the Waffen SS. He was dedicated to defending his country and fought hard against communism until the Soviets captured him and bashed his testicles in with the butt of a rifle. War is war, bad things happen, on ALL sides. If you want some war crimes, why don't you look at the "heroic" Allies and their bombings of Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. so don't you say anyone who respects or admires any branch of the Wehrmacht is showing "very, very bad taste." I know if I was in his shoes, I would have done the same thing and I'm certain you would too. I have respect for the fighting men of all nations of the war, even though I highly disagree with some of the reasons their countries were waging war. A joke is one thing, I never said I condone what the Einsatz groups did I just wanted a laugh and to generate interest in this thread to promote my scenario.
Old December 3, 2001, 18:52   #19
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 03:40
Quote:
A great uncle of mine was a soldier in the Hungarian army untill 1944, when the Germans occupied the country. In his village, they lined up all the males and first asked his friend if he would join the SS. He said no and a bullet was put into his head. The next person they asked to join was my great uncle, he said "absolutely."
My mums best friends father was inducted into the SS in remarkably similar circumstances (he was also Hungarian). Ironically he was also Jewish, and his wife only escapted the death camps when Soviet troops captured the town where she was being held by the Nazis.
Old December 3, 2001, 23:03   #20
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Getting back on trac, what exactly is going to happen in this scenario? What will the player do?
Old December 3, 2001, 23:49   #21
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Thanks Anzac-
The scenario focuses on Army Group South of the Wehrmacht from summer of 1942 to the end of the war. The first few months or so you are on the offensive trying to take Stalingrad. If you do, you beat the scenario, but its very difficult (probably impossible). After that, you'll be on the defensive most of the time, trying to hold out to buy precious time. If you survive till the end of 1945 it is considered a victory, because of your defensive success have freed up reserves to battle the Allies elsewhere allowing Germany to complete its wonder weapons and win the war. With the events, I've tried to recreate 3 major battles on this front, Stalingrad, Kursk, and Budapest. Although techinically, only "half" of Kursk is covered, Manstein's attack, because the other salient would extend to far northward covering Army Group Center's path, and it is not covered in the map. Other than that, there are plenty of urban squares to make Stalingrad and Budapest interesting, even if they are geographically inaccurate.
Old December 3, 2001, 23:58   #22
Case
Emperor

There was a preview of this on the Civ Fanatics scenario creation board a while back. You can find it here (and it looks pretty darn good IMHO)
Old December 4, 2001, 14:40   #23
SetuSinger
Chieftain

Please cool down, MC! I didn't want to offend you in any kind. And your propably right, my username is a sign of bad taste, but thats my mission on this planet, to shock everybody I meet with the words I say, with my thoughts and off course with usernames in forums

I think you got me wrong, I hate every kind of total ideology like facism, stalinism and so on. And I agree, that for example the air raid on Dresden was a warcrime, too.
But what i wanted to say is, that the SS was a organisation basing on a highly racist and misanthropic ideology, basing on perverted thinking.
You also got me wrong in thinking me to have said, that all the Wehrmacht soldiers where crimes (my 2 grandfathers fought in the Wehrmacht), I said, that some Wehrmacht units did horrible warcrimes, too, and that's absolutely right, they did in fact, believe me or not, thats a part of history.
By the way: The SS was no part of the Wehrmacht, they where a seperate organisation.

Ok, but lets finsh that discussion, lets continue talking about your scenario!

Old December 4, 2001, 22:27   #24
The ANZAC
King

Looks really good, I liked your scenario Europe in Flames, and I imagine this will be good too. See everyone: no need to worry about Einsatz Gruppen, just Army Group South and Russian Stalinists Good thing it's under 20mb, but it doesn't matter anyway because I have a cable connection! Keep up the good work (hopefully we will see more from you!)
Old December 5, 2001, 00:20   #25
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Hahaha. Thanks man.

Anyway, I have uploaded the scenario to a private site, and I emailed the links to Thunderfall so he can download and then upload the scenario. I want to give Civfanatics a chance to host the scenario first (I emailed MarkG but didn't get any response), but I haven't heard from Thunderfall in a few days... so if he doesn't get it up soon I'll just post the links here.
Old December 5, 2001, 00:36   #26
Cal
Prince

Quote:
Anyway, I have uploaded the scenario to a private site, and I emailed the links to Thunderfall so he can download and then upload the scenario. I want to give Civfanatics a chance to host the scenario first (I emailed MarkG but didn't get any response), but I haven't heard from Thunderfall in a few days... so if he doesn't get it up soon I'll just post the links here.
AHH!! How long will you wait for him? This scenario sounds too good, must we/I wait any longer for it?
I like scenarios where I'm doomed, makes me feel less pressured to succeed.
Old December 5, 2001, 02:00   #27
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal

AHH!! How long will you wait for him? This scenario sounds too good, must we/I wait any longer for it?
I like scenarios where I'm doomed, makes me feel less pressured to succeed.
Thunderfall is usually pretty fast, so you shouldn't have to wait too long

*reinstalls ToT*
Old December 5, 2001, 16:33   #28
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

"Friday afternoon".
Old December 5, 2001, 19:10   #29
Cal
Prince

Quote:
"Friday afternoon".
You might as well say "next year".
Old December 6, 2001, 01:06   #30
Cal
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The ANZAC
Looks really good, I liked your scenario Europe in Flames, and I imagine this will be good too.
Speaking of Europe in Flames..
One game, after conquering France, I just threw every plane I had at London until it was emptied and then paradropped into the capital. The great expense paid off, and they weren't able to take it back, but on the next turn after conquering London, I got the: "Germany has achieved complete victory over Europe!" message, and then the game ended. I know that was to indicate I won... but all I had done was captured London, this is a bug, right?