Old November 28, 2001, 22:57   #1
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Possible Exploitation
It appears that when war breaks out, whatever agreement you made before with the enemy is cancelled. If that's the case, this can be exploited by agreeing to trade 100 gold/turn for whatever tech they have and declare war after you receive the tech.
Old November 28, 2001, 23:06   #2
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Local Time: 12:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Possible Exploitation
Quote:
Originally posted by Fistleaf
It appears that when war breaks out, whatever agreement you made before with the enemy is cancelled. If that's the case, this can be exploited by agreeing to trade 100 gold/turn for whatever tech they have and declare war after you receive the tech.
Never thought of that ... hmmmmmm .........

Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious

Cheers
~Alex
Old November 28, 2001, 23:18   #3
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 11:40
This has a negative impact on your diplomatic actions in the future.
Old November 28, 2001, 23:25   #4
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Elucidus
This has a negative impact on your diplomatic actions in the future.
True, but most of this nasty stuff i do and get done in the ancient times and early to mid middle ages ... after that, i take peace whenever i can.

I've been one nasty guy in the ancient times and still won a diplomatic victory on Prince so i know its pretty safe.

Cheers
~Alex
Old November 28, 2001, 23:43   #5
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

This is true, but it works the other way, too.. Beware of gold per turn deals offered by the AI in exchange for anything that you can't get back (i.e., maps, techs, workers).

The best gold-per-turn deals IMHO are those for luxuries, that way if they break the deal and attack you they probably suffer civil disorder in one or more cities...

Dan
Old November 28, 2001, 23:50   #6
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The thing is the human player can offer the gold/turn and then purposely declare war to negate it, whereas I don't think the AI is devious enough to do that.
Old November 28, 2001, 23:56   #7
HugoHillbilly
Warlord

Quote:
The thing is the human player can offer the gold/turn and then purposely declare war to negate it, whereas I don't think the AI is devious enough to do that.
I think he was hinting that the AI can and will do that if it sees fit to.

Plus if you go around doing that every other civ will dislike you spouting " Hey i know you, you backstabbed our friends the ", its not just the one Civ that wont like you.

If you can exploit this and still have the other civs like you then you are a great diplomat or your playing on too easy of a setting.
Old November 29, 2001, 01:42   #8
Raleigh
Warlord

Declaring war when you have a gold per/turn agreement with them hurts your reputation? Thanks for clarifying that. It explains a lot. I wish the game told you when your actions threaten your reputation.
Old November 29, 2001, 01:48   #9
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 11:40
Well, think of it this way. If the computer did it to you and it would piss you off, than expect the same.
Old November 29, 2001, 02:08   #10
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 09:40
Quote:
The AI is devious enough to do it, and I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose. I wrote about this in another thread, where the AI would agree to rather insane deals. In some cases the AI will agree, when it has a MPP with someone whom you're at war with, or where they will be more likely to sign an alliance against you.

Diplomatic betrayal like that does work both ways and it's happened to me often, which is why I'm very cautious doing deals which involves per turn payments. It usually happens in the late game though (industrial age and +).
Old November 29, 2001, 15:53   #11
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:40
The AI Betrayals
Quote:
The AI DOES do this. I recently sold Medicine to 14 AI Civs & 5 of them declared war on me wtihin the next 2 turns!

However, the price I sold Medicine at to the other 9 AI Civs & the upfront "entire treasury" gold the other 5 gave me... I still made out like Bandit & became extremely rich. And this wasn't even using TechBrokering (buy a tech & then sell it scheme).

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=36028

The AI pays too much gold for techs in my opinion. And they should NOT be willing to sell you a tech if they have not sold it to all the other AI Civs it is not at war at 1st... to avoid TechBrokering.