Old November 29, 2001, 00:50   #1
Badtz Maru
Prince

Local Time: 11:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Privateer Problems
I modified the .bic file to make privateers a bit more powerful, and now the AI is using them a lot. This makes the game more interesting and sea travel more difficult (several of my ships have been taken out in peacetime), but there is one minor flaw I've noticed now that the AI is using privateers. When they bombard an improvement, it tells you the name of the civ that owned the privateer - i.e. 'Improvements near Glenpool destroyed by French artillery'. I shouldn't know who is stabbing me in the back (I took a few of the French cities but they have been polite since I paid a lot of reparations, but apparently they still have a big of a grudge)!

I may end up taking away their bombardment ability, though it's quite weak.
Old November 29, 2001, 00:58   #2
Venger
King

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the unit still show the colors on the sail of the privateer?

I gave my privateer 2(1)/1/3, although I'm thinking of 4 movement too...

Venger
Old November 29, 2001, 01:02   #3
Badtz Maru
Prince

Nope, no colors. All the privateers look alike.

I thought it was really funny how the French were harassing me with their privateer. It would come up and bombard the road between the two cities of his I had taken, and then go back south. I got a frigate down there and the privateer killed my frigate and then went back south. I was finally able to see where it was coming from, it would leave the port of the nearest French city, sail north, bombard, and then duck back into port. When I moved more frigates down there it stayed in port.
Old November 29, 2001, 01:23   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
I suggest just taking away the Privateer's bombard ability. That should probably be left to the Frigates, as bombarding is a pretty substantial 'act of war', and just not 'harrassment of the sea lanes'.
Old November 29, 2001, 02:27   #5
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 09:40
i just looked at the editor, and privateers don't have bombardment abilities... your problem is probably why it doesnt have it. Best off to leave it disabled... Movement of 4 and higher attack value is probably strong enough don't you think?
Old November 29, 2001, 02:42   #6
Frito
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
i just looked at the editor, and privateers don't have bombardment abilities... your problem is probably why it doesnt have it. Best off to leave it disabled... Movement of 4 and higher attack value is probably strong enough don't you think?
Agreed
Old November 29, 2001, 03:46   #7
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Mind you, it's a great idea - makes privateers worth it.

It also shows that the AI seems to be able to adapt to changes in the units, and this is good.
Old November 29, 2001, 11:24   #8
Venger
King

I like the privateer having a weak bombardment capability - pirates were known to sack and pillage land as well as the sea.

Also, this allows several privateers to attack and sink shipping. Ask the Silesian pirates about that.

Venger