Old November 29, 2001, 04:01   #1
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 09:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1st turn extra research
I don't think I've seen this covered in the forum, and I admit it requires some sort of discipline to be able to do this whenever you begin a game...

Right when you begin immediately go to your science advisor and pick which advance you wish to research next. In fact you can choose any advisor, and sometimes a pop up will appear right away asking you what to research. This gives you a one turn lead on reasearch instead of waiting on turn 2 to begin.

A problem though with this, is if you're playing a custom made map/rules, where the tech tree is defunct, you won't be able to get out of the advisor screen unless you pick an advance, and unfortunately you won't be able to, therefore forcing you to ctrl alt delete.
Old November 29, 2001, 04:33   #2
Kokuei
Settler

Local Time: 17:41
Yes, I too make a research selection right from the get go. I can't remember, and I'm not in a position to test, but doesn't the research pop-up window arrive at the end of the first turn (i.e. when you've moved your original worker (& scout if applicable)?

I play with the 'stop at the end of every turn option', but either way, before the I hit 'enter' for the first turn, my research goal is set (along with the slider )

Every little helps!
Old November 29, 2001, 04:44   #3
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 11:41
The research pop up arrives at the beginning of the first turn after city founding. The question is whether it appears before or after the city's research has been tallied. If before, then this gains you nothing as your research for that turn would get counted anyway. If after, then everyone has been playing with their first turn of research getting thrown away.
Old November 29, 2001, 04:44   #4
smellymummy
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kokuei
Yes, I too make a research selection right from the get go. I can't remember, and I'm not in a position to test, but doesn't the research pop-up window arrive at the end of the first turn (i.e. when you've moved your original worker (& scout if applicable)?

I play with the 'stop at the end of every turn option', but either way, before the I hit 'enter' for the first turn, my research goal is set (along with the slider )

Every little helps!
After reading your post it put my idea to doubt, so I tried it out and no, the automatic pop up comes up at the begining the second turn.

Start game and choose tech it will be 32 turns (sometimes less). By the second turn it will be down by one turn. Forget to choose your tech at the get go, and the second turn will have your tech research at 32 turns.

I applaud your patience by having the wait at every end of turn option turned on. I find it so annoying!
Old November 29, 2001, 05:18   #5
Kokuei
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy

I applaud your patience by having the wait at every end of turn option turned on. I find it so annoying!
What can I say, I'm just a control freak

Seriously though, whilst it is mildy irritating right at the start, it does mean you don't risk missing something.

For example, whenever a city goes up in size, the workers assign themselves automatically, that can be irritating if you miss it since it will favour growth over production (which may or may not be what you want), and I'm also a big fan of playing with the research slider too...

Old November 29, 2001, 05:32   #6
smellymummy
King

i let the city governor assign laborers. Really comes in handy (reduces micromanagement) during the entire game... early on it prevents those riots (sucks too loose a turn of production that early) and later in the game it returns the laborers to those polluted tiles. As for the slider, I try to mess with it, but not on every turn.

Too much clicking and micro managing as it is, not that I don't enjoy it, I just like to streamline most of my games
Old November 29, 2001, 07:05   #7
Kokuei
Settler

hmmmn, I've never touched the governers... maybe this needs some further investigation...
Old November 29, 2001, 08:35   #8
NZrevenge
Settler

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The governors are pretty cool on this. Tell 'em never to build Wonders, small wonders, naval units, air units or offensive units, and tell them to build workers sometimes.

This stops the comp switching to stupid things when you build a unit and forget to change production in that city (nuthin more annoying that checkin up on a remote part of your empire in the modern era to find half a dozen half-built longbowmen).

Getting the govenor to emphasize production can be good for wonder building cities, so that you don't lose turns to riots, but then you can't interfere with the governer's decisions in the city view with out turning it off completely for that city.