Old April 19, 2000, 15:01   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Poll: Civ-3 intro/background-music
My first magic Civ game experiences, some years ago, was on an Amiga 600 equipped with a 68000-processor - clocking at a whooping 7,14 Mhz!!
Question: How much did that kind of awesome number-crunching processing power translated into Civ map-generating waiting-time, do you think? Take a guess – 20, 30 seconds perhaps? Answer: It took about 6-7 looong and rather inpatient minutes, each and every time you started a new game (no, not seconds – minutes!!).

I don’t miss much from this, except perhaps for ONE thing: That old Amiga-version of Civ had a really, really good intro-tune that played along whilst the computer was busy generating a new map. Much better than in the tame PC intro-tunes of both Civ-1 and 2.
Why Microprose decided to ditch that tune all together is beyond me. Is there anyone in this forum who knows what I am talking about?

Anyway, in Civ-3, the player should be able to select what Civ-tunes he wants to listen to. Some of the music in Civ-2 was nice, but some was really horrible – and it bugged the hell out of me, not being able to choose.
Old April 19, 2000, 15:19   #2
Andz83

Topics like this have been touched many times on the forums. They often dealt with the music in Civ2. I really wonder how the music in Civ3 will be. When they make a joke of Civ-Music, like Activision did; well, then, then...then I'll have to accept it, but I'd hate Firaxis anyway...but I really don't think they'll be as incompetent as Activision was when encoding these REALLY HORRIBLE CtP-Themes. They were even more horrible than the themes in Civ/Civ2. Those ones were quite good, I think

------------------
"The more I know, the more do I know that I don't know anything" - forgotten who said that...
"Within the peace, enemy attacks us..." - Kaiser Wilhelm II, August 1914
"Hell, yeah!" - James Hetfield, while singing "Master Of Puppets" on Metallica-S&M-concert in spring 1999 in San Francisco

Old April 20, 2000, 01:35   #3
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 10:18
Geez, CTP was't that bad. A bit tiresome after a while, but only the best game themes avoid that.

- MKL
Old April 20, 2000, 05:19   #4
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Firaxis should take a look at Heroes of Might and Magic III concerning background music! Its one of the best games (speaking of sound) and a shining example what can be done with sound.
Anyone who has played this game will surely agree with me.

Ata
Old April 20, 2000, 05:52   #5
ivorgrubisic
Settler

Local Time: 00:18
Personally, I liked music from Civ2, but absolutely HATED the one from CTP (as I did the game as a whole for that matter).
Old April 20, 2000, 10:59   #6
Andz83

Yes, the music in Heroes of Might and Magic III is good, as the music in Heroes II is

Old April 21, 2000, 00:44   #7
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Andz: Sorry I havent played Hereos II my first contact with the homm games was/is Heroes III.
What I like very much is that each type of city has its own theme. The positive thing is that this theme is not to "strong" to be annoying but instead its really nice and adds a lot to atmosphere.

Ata
Old April 24, 2000, 03:25   #8
DanM
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:18
It's funny that Heroes of Might and Magic is brought up when it comes to sounds and background music.Heroes II happens to be my favorite when it comes to that.
As far as Civ3 goes,as I stated elsewhere,I think that each period of time in the game should have its own music and sounds in order to really experience and get the feel of being part of that time period in history.And maybe each civ may be different, at least so far as what part of the globe they happen to be from.(Civs from Asia would have different music than Civs from Europe etc.)