Old November 29, 2001, 11:30   #1
Bubba_B
Warlord

Local Time: 12:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The AI Attacks....
Posted this once in the General Forum to show that the AI uses Editor mods, but thought it would be fun for the Stories Forum.

Check this out,

One day last week I was playing with the editor and brainstorming about different units. I thought that a Merc. unit that worked the same as a Privateer on land would be cool. Slip him in on a Gov. you don't like and have him pillage or cause general havoc without declaring war. Anyway, I picked the Explorer as that unit gave him a small attack, defense, and 2 move to retreat if attacked. I also hid the nationality and under AI strategies clicked "offensive". I played a little more with the Editor that night and went to bed.

Fast forward a couple days; I'm playing a 16 civ small map on Warlord and around 1500AD a funny looking white shaded unit shows up on my boarder , why is that explorer white, I think. The next turn it jumps a nearby worker and he becomes a Aztec worker . (Mind you at this point I've completely forgotten about what I did to the Explorer unit) "I've never seen the Explorer do that, was that in the manual" . Soon the other four Civ's on my boarders jump into the fun, workers abandoned me in droves, I declare war to get them back............all hell breaks loose .

Needless to say, I remembered what I did when I went to the Editor to check the specs. on the Explorer . The funny thing is that the AI did things with the unit that I never thought of, It developed a strategy of its own: Take my workers without a declaration of war.

So in closing, I think the AI will pick up on your mods. Lesson learned.

P.S. My Governors picked up on this too. After my first few workers were taken my governors started to build Explores.
Old November 29, 2001, 20:58   #2
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:42
hm.......this is why i don't tweak
Old November 29, 2001, 22:26   #3
Gatlin
Settler

Local Time: 17:42
It shows another reason to applaud Soren's AI.
Adaptability to changes, both ingame (way the game is going) and out-of-game (modification to rules and such)

Carpe Diem
Old December 1, 2001, 17:28   #4
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

I always wondered what the AI would do if a unit like that got added. Nice to know it knows how to use it...

If you want some real fun, try making this new unit invisible as well.
Old December 1, 2001, 20:35   #5
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 19:42
Quote:
I always wondered what the AI would do if a unit like that got added. Nice to know it knows how to use it...
uuuh...... Soren........... why didn't you try it, if you wondered ?
big applause btw, that the AI works that way
Old December 2, 2001, 05:02   #6
Bubba_B
Warlord

Not CTP again.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

If you want some real fun, try making this new unit invisible as well.
I like Civ 3, why would I do that Soren.

There were several units in CTP that were invisible and one in particular, the slaver, drove me crazy. One of the reasons I quit playing CTP was because of those "stealth" units .

Thanks for the great AI, diplomacy is a lot more enjoyable.
Old December 2, 2001, 08:23   #7
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 17:42
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
uuuh...... Soren........... why didn't you try it, if you wondered ?
big applause btw, that the AI works that way
Because he wasn't given time to do so, the game was rushed. What I do wonder about is what the game would really be like if Soren and the gang had been given the proper time to test it and innovate some more.
Aside from the stupid Governors (no man, I don't need another damn Immortal! See, I can build M. Armors now! Geez... look at that, another Privateer! I'm at war with EVERYONE, I want a bloody Battleship! ) the AI is great, especially in the millitary/expansion aspects. They really go after strategic resources to pillage/build there.
Old December 2, 2001, 15:51   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:42
Re: Not CTP again.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba_B
... There were several units in CTP that were invisible and one in particular, the slaver, drove me crazy. One of the reasons I quit playing CTP was because of those "stealth" units . ...
Bubba,
Why would slavers drive you crazy in CtP? You just build a few slavers/diplomats that can spot them in your vulnerable areas, do an occasional patrol (tedious but necessary), and they're under control. That was MY solution.

I really enjoyed the implications of the stealth units in CtP. I never used Theocracy, but occasionally used slavery.

(Sorry for the OT)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 2, 2001, 17:49   #9
Bubba_B
Warlord

Re: Re: Not CTP again.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
(tedious but necessary)
(Sorry for the OT)
I think the above reason was why I gave up on CTP. Quite honestly I never gave CTP much of a chance after my huge dominating Empire was splintered by a single stealth unit . I had to get a new monitor after that one.
Old December 4, 2001, 08:46   #10
NZrevenge
Settler

Local Time: 05:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well atleast that unit had an excuse to splinter your empire (stealth), unlike the archers and spearmen that frequently splinter mine in Civ III...