Old November 29, 2001, 21:36   #1
civ-n00b
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nuclear Plant Suggestion...
I have already had several Meltdowns (due to MPPs & unhappyness.... grrrr....) in my cities, and i think that by now someone in charge of running the plants would notice "hmmm.... these aren't safe. how can i change that (no, not by a meltdown)" and change security measures. is it possible in any way to make the Meltdown risk decrease every time it actually Melts down?

Anyways, thats my suggestion: make it so that the risk of a meltdown decreases with every accident. it happens in real life, just like unhappyness (during vietnam), global warming and ... uhhh... war? just look at the 3 mile island reactor and compare it to a modern one, there's a *slight* difference between them.

anyways, thats my 2 cents.
Old November 29, 2001, 22:10   #2
civ-n00b
Chieftain

also...
some sort of pollution indicator for AFTER its done cycling through each of the 10000000000000000000000000000000000 cities you have. dunno bout you guys, but after about 100 cities, i forget what's where for the most part, and specially where that sole thingy of pollution that i'm missing and will cause global warming is.
Old November 29, 2001, 22:55   #3
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Local Time: 12:43
here's a little something i do ...

Zoom out.

it might seem dumb, but pollution shows up really bright orange when you do so, and its easy to scroll back and forth over your empire and cover lots of space this way.

See the Orange !!! BE the ORANGE !!!

HAHAHA

Cheers!
~Alex
Old November 29, 2001, 23:08   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:43
dunno. haven't lost one yet (I usually only build 1)
Old November 29, 2001, 23:50   #5
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 11:43
shift-p is auto-clean pollution for workers. That comes in handy when you don't remember where the pollution is. Just remember how many there are and how many workers you want to devote to it. If there's no pollution to clean, it does nothing.
Old November 30, 2001, 03:36   #6
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 12:43
The only problem I have with shift P is that it sends all the workers to the same pollution spot (at least the one time i tried it) even though there were other messes I needed cleaned up

Is there anyway to tell when global warming occurs? The bright yellow sun looks that way no matter how much of my own pollution i clean!
Old November 30, 2001, 05:58   #7
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 18:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Raleigh
The only problem I have with shift P is that it sends all the workers to the same pollution spot (at least the one time i tried it) even though there were other messes I needed cleaned up

Is there anyway to tell when global warming occurs? The bright yellow sun looks that way no matter how much of my own pollution i clean!
The sun appears when you produce enough pollution. As it is IMPOSSIBLE to get totally rid of pollution and produce always 2-3 pollution by city (I mean the little yellow triangle with the skull on it, NOT the tiles with orange pollution), you just can't get rid of the sun. Having a polluted tile increase the risk of global warming, but I think you'll end up having some tiles affected by the warming even with not a single polluted tile, just because of the pollution generated by your whole civ.

BTW, the pollution indicator on the demographics is broken, as it always say that I produce between 0 to 2/3 tons of pollution a year, even when I have tons of polluted tiles. Ok, that's far to be a game-killer
Old November 30, 2001, 06:04   #8
Easy Rhino
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:43
counter-suggestion
If one city has multiple nuclear meltdowns, I would submit that they are incompotent and run a risk of fracturing the crust of the Earth.

HOWEVER, it would be nead if a meltdown also destroyed the nuke plant. I guess that's one way to prevent meltdowns in the future

ER
Old November 30, 2001, 15:56   #9
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 11:43
Really? I've found it to be somewhat more intelligent than that. Namely, it sends one to each one on your continent, then sends a second one, then a third (this may vary based on terrain and difficulty of cleaning). But each one gets at least one. But I also prefer to have multiple settlers working just so it gets done faster.

Quote:

Old November 30, 2001, 16:49   #10
civ-n00b
Chieftain

=o
for me zooming out doesn't help - i have the "large" nametags on for cities that tell me what they are producing, how much they have left (in turns) to grow, and what their size is. when zoomed out, they block 3 tiles. yes, i could turn 'em off, but i forgot where

i'll try shift+P though. i'll also have to try reading the manual, since i haven't even looked at it (no cool pictures...).

and last, but not least: nuke plants don't dissapear after a meltdown, at least in my case.

thnx though
Old November 30, 2001, 19:34   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:43
Quote:
If you have several workers available, I would advise that you continue trying to use the Shift-P. I don't really know how the workers are allocated: it may be to the nearest pollution or to try to clean up one at a time, ....

When I have 2 or 3 squares to clean up, I would often (but not always) use the Shfit-P to get at least 3 workers on each one. I might then do it manually and use the button (instead of Shift-C) so I can see how many turns the cleanup will take with the addition of that worker till I reach my goal (1 or 2 turns).

Of course, your mileage may vary depending on how many workers you have available. Other factors include whether they are yours, industrious, etc.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.