Old November 30, 2001, 07:14   #1
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 12:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomatic Victory Questions
The civlopedia says that 2-3 nations get selected. How does that happen? I was the second most powerful nation easily with 25% of territory and/or population and I was not a candidate (the largest nation and the one that built the UN were). Does anyone know how this works.

You only need a simple majority to win? That kinda makes it too easy, no? I mean MOO2 gave every nation votes depending on their territory. This game should do the same thing based on whatever (culture, power, score or average). 1 nation 1 vote combined with simple majority requirements means the game has an excellent chance of ending as soon as the UN is build, unless I misunderstand... Does anyone even know if abstain votes are counted against a majority?

Last edited by Raleigh; November 30, 2001 at 07:42.
Old November 30, 2001, 07:19   #2
JayKay
Warlord

Local Time: 17:44
Re: Diplomatic Victory Questions
Quote:
Originally posted by Raleigh
The civlopedia says that 2-3 nations get selected. How does that happen? I was the second most powerful nation easily with 25% of territory and/or population and I was not a candidate (the largest nation and the one that built the UN were). Does anyone know how this works.

You only need a simple majority to win? That kinda makes it too easy, no?
Have you seen the histograph? I think the first two nations choosen for the U.N. election are the ones ahead in Power/Score (don't know which for sure)! The third nation is the one that built the U.N.! If is the same that one of the two already choosen, then the election is only between that two countries!

As for the majority, i really don't know!

Portugal
Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
Old November 30, 2001, 07:36   #3
Raleigh
Warlord

I was one of the 2 top nations, as I said above, in all categories possible. But thanks for trying to advise!
Old November 30, 2001, 08:15   #4
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:44
i think it is only 2 nations. one is the one that built the UN and the other is the top scoring one...
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 30, 2001, 08:17   #5
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

I just won my first Diplomatic victory last night. The French built the UN but I won the vote. I was very surprised that I won it. I think it is strongly influenced by Culture as my Military, Tech and Land scores were not that good. I had also played a peaceful game and I had good relations with most other races.
Old November 30, 2001, 09:09   #6
JayKay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
i think it is only 2 nations. one is the one that built the UN and the other is the top scoring one...
No! There can be 3 nations selected! In a game i made (in Regent), where i eventually lost by histograph (my first game), i made the UN, thinking that maybe i could win that way, since the finishing date was very close, and the SS was very far away! There were 4 nations in that game (others were destroyed or conquered), there were 3 nations selected to be elected! I was in 3rd place at the time (in Power/Score, and in Culture too - i think), but since i build the UN i could vote for myself and so i did! The other 2 voted themselves too, and the 4th nation (in last place in everything) abstain, leading to a draw with every three civs selected!

Portugal
Old November 30, 2001, 09:38   #7
Raleigh
Warlord

I was thinking more about this. Maybe there can be 3 candidates if (1) one nation has the MOST people AND over 25% of all people (2) another nation has the most land AND over 25% of all land (3) some other nation builds the UN.

If this is true, I misunderstood. I thought if a nation qualified for 1 or 2, another nation would have a shot at the missing element (assuming a third nation built the UN). I am guessing that in my case where the Iroquois were BOTH 1 & 2 (I was runner up in both) and Russia built the UN I was left out in the cold (sigh).

It still doesn't understand why I suffered humiliating defeat unless they all are since I was still the second ranking nation!
Old November 30, 2001, 10:36   #8
JayKay
Warlord

I have another question though!

Is there a way to hold elections besides the times your are prompt to?

Portugal
Old November 30, 2001, 10:39   #9
LaRusso
King

ummm....AFAIK no...you are prompted every 20 turns...right?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 30, 2001, 10:45   #10
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 11:44
Annoyingly, if you build the UN, it will prompt you to hold an election every single turn.
Old November 30, 2001, 10:48   #11
LaRusso
King

only if you refuse to hold the election
Old November 30, 2001, 10:49   #12
JayKay
Warlord

One thing is for sure...if you build the U.N. you can say "no" to the elections forever, until you etheir win by other mean (or lose) or until your U.N. is captured.

This makes the U.N. Wonder a "must have"! You can't afford to let it go!

Portugal
Old November 30, 2001, 19:12   #13
Raleigh
Warlord

great advice, thanks!