Old November 30, 2001, 15:38   #1
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 11:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why not to trust the Greeks
Not much of a story, but here's what happened in one of my games. I was playing Persia on a small map, archepeligo, 6 civs I think. Warlord, I think. It ended up with 2 large landmasses and maybe 3 smaller islands.

I started on a continent with the Greeks, Romans, and Zulus, it was the larger of the two. Well the axe had to pn someone, and as fate would have it the Zulu's got in the way first. They fell quick to my swordsman as I had all the iron on the continent. Then the Romans. By then the greek already had about 5 cities full of their UU's, and I decided to just let it go in favor of expnading overseas. So soon I found the other continent with the Egyptions and Babylonians. So I sent a settler to take an unclaimed scrap of land on the coast closest to me. Not long after the greeks founded not one but three cities, filling up the remaining land on that continent. So I switched to Republic and began research, and building culture.

Soon my city on the other continent's culture overcome the pitiful culture of the egyptian city nearby...adding it to my empire. Apparently though, Cleopatra wouldn't have this and I soon saw many egyptian war chariots heading for my poor cities. Thinking this was a problem, and it was...I contacted my long friends the greeks who I had lived friendly with since the dawn of time.

Sure they would help me they said....just give us gunpowder. Hmmm, well ok, they were soon to get it anyways and it seemed fair. Besides I really wanted to redirect those war chariots to the greek cities on that continent to give me time to build my own forces there. So sure, take gunpowder. Not a turn passed, and they requested their own audience...sure they had gunpowder, but now they decided that maybe I should share my supply of saltpeter with them, as I had it all, maybe for a bit of their fine wine and some gold. Hmmm, well anything for friends...besides I was hoping they may kick some egyptian tail for me.

Well maybe 5 turns passed, and I get notice the egyptian and greeks sign a peace treaty....why those dirty...prolly coulnt take it and backed out. Oh well, I had bought 3 musketman in those overseas cities by then, no big deal anymore.

As fate would have it, the next turn I saw the about a dozen horseman and like half as many musketman coming from Greek territory towards that city they was so recently getting saltpeter from by trade....

Talk about a double cross....What was worse it sure made me feel gullible :P Im guessing they was planning to attack me anyways when I approached them, and I just put it off a few turns. Id rather think that than think the AI really does think that deeply :P

In any case, I lost the city and it took me prolly another 30 turns to repair the damage from that and begin to get even
Old December 1, 2001, 19:36   #2
Gatlin
Settler

Local Time: 17:46
Ha Ha Ha!

That's pretty ruthless yes.
You shoulda suspected something was up when they contacted you the second time, and said no way.

Carpe Diem
Old December 3, 2001, 21:08   #3
drAgON1
Warlord

Local Time: 17:46
HEHE!....Score one for the AI!