Old November 30, 2001, 18:26   #1
Bill_in_PDX
Settler

Local Time: 09:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Forbidden Palace Relocation
Playing the Indians on huge/16/regent, and have just complete the first world war that always seems to happen due to the incredible number of MPP that get created whenever that many AI civ's are around.

It was a successful war, and generated four leaders for me. Paticularly pleasing was the complete dismemberment of some backstabbing Japanese who turned on me in the middle of the war, and it was their MPP that drew me in to begin with. They begged for mercy in the end, to no avail.

Now my empire spreads across a great distance, and I really could use a new FP. The one I had built a thousand years ago was perfectly positioned, not any more.

Question: Can I disband the one I have and make it available to build somewhere else?
Old November 30, 2001, 18:29   #2
MaSsConFUsi0n
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:46
this may not be true but if you disband the city that has it, then maybe you can build it again in a new city... don't know if it's true, though.

MaSsConFUsi0n
Old November 30, 2001, 18:44   #3
MaSsConFUsi0n
Chieftain

i just tried it and it works... the only bad part is that you lose a really nice city...

MaSsConFUsi0n
Old November 30, 2001, 19:46   #4
ICMB
Chieftain

Still, that cost can be mitigated by the gains you make across your empire by relocating the forbidden palace. It only *really* hurts people going for a cultural victory.

Just be sure to sell off all the improvements first.

Now, that being said, how do you disband a city? If it is trying to build a settler/worker and doesn't have the population, it just waits until you do...

- ICMB
Old November 30, 2001, 19:50   #5
pchang
King

If the pop is two and you complete a settler, you can disband the city. Anyway, this seems like a bug. I don't think it was ever intended that you could build a wonder (even small ones) more than once. I wonder if this would work with a great wonder?

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old November 30, 2001, 19:54   #6
David Weldon
Warlord

I hope not. I normally just raze any AI city with a wonder in it as soon as I can, just to deny them the wonder. I know that in the heart of their territory I can't keep the city, so I just write it off and eliminate their advantage.

I've never been able to build a wonder after I razed the city it was in, and I've never seen an AI do so either.
Experience to extremes" -RUSH 'The Enemy Within'
Old November 30, 2001, 19:57   #7
pchang
King

Well, his method involved starving down the city and then disbanding it. Not the same as razing.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old November 30, 2001, 22:36   #8
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Maybe it's best to carefully place the Forbidden Palace and leave it, and to keep moving around the regular Palace to places that maximize its corruption relief.

Once a Great Wonder is destroyed, it is lost forever and can never be rebuilt. Not sure if this applies to minor wonders, but I doubt it, since any and all can build them.

Hmm. I "wonder" what happens if you capture a city with a minor wonder you have already built yourself. Has anyone tried this? Can you end up getting, say, two or more Apollo Programs?
Old November 30, 2001, 22:48   #9
smellymummy
King

i don't think it applies to minor wonders at all. At least in my own experience with the FP it did not matter.

One game I took an enemy capital, rush built the FP, only too loose the city a few turns later to culture (not enough guarrisson!). I was able to build the FP again.

if you ask me, it's not a bug, not a cheat, but a good feature. Hey the emperor might decide to relocate his/her second palace right? Just like you can relocate you're capital.

And what if you loose your Intelligence agency. Pretty screwed if you can't build it again wouldn't you agree?
Old November 30, 2001, 23:16   #10
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 11:46
Disbanding Cities
If there is no excess food coming into the city on the turn the worker (size 1) or settler (size 2) is completed, then you will have the option to disband the city. If there is excess food coming in, it will just automatically wait until the next city size is reached to build the unit.
Old December 1, 2001, 01:19   #11
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Yep....minor wonders are indeed a special case.

Examples:
You will NEVER capture an enemy city that contains a minor wonder. They are destroyed, along with all other cultural improvements when you capture the city.

Likewise, if a rival civ captures a city of yours containing a minor wonder, it is destroyed, but can be rebuilt.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 1, 2001, 14:01   #12
duodecimal
lifer
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:46
relocating Forbidden Palace
Another option is to give the city away.

Odds are that the city having your FP is in the midst of several other of your large, powerful, built-up cities. This means several possibilities and benefits:

One - it may simply be absorbed back into your empire eventually - perhaps not so unquickly, particularly if the recipient culture is weak, distant, convulsing with rebellion, or a combination of the three.

Two - if you give it to a civ you're about to go to war with anyway, it'll be a great early target since it's already surrounded by your forces.

Three - give it to a particularly tech/cash/lux wealthy civ, and there may be all sorts of booty to be gotten.

All that and you get to move the FP to a more convenient location... sounds like an excellent addition to game strategy.

Duodecimal
Old December 3, 2001, 12:08   #13
MarshalN
Warlord

Why don't you just rebuild the palace somewhere else?

That solves the problem. Production shouldn't matter since it sounds like it's late in the game anyway.
Old December 3, 2001, 18:21   #14
duodecimal
lifer
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:46
why:
... because sometimes an empire grows so large in multiple directions that relocating just the Palace alone still gives your empire a misplaced center of gravity.