Old November 30, 2001, 22:38   #1
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes... We Have No Banannas
No one liked starting in the Jungle on Civ2 either... but did they have to make the starting Jungle position WORSE in Civ3? They took out the Bonus Resources which gave the misfortunate Civs who started there some help. They removed the famous Banannas (very good for growth) and Peat Moss (excellent for shield production) and they replaced it with... NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING. Strategic Resources discovered later only are a good reason for stronger Civs to attack you later... multiplayer Civs will not be kind to weak jungle Civs. And the severe growth penalty the jungle has doesn't make up for it.

At the very least hopefully the proper working editor will allow these classics to be added back in... along with the Supermarket, StockExchange, etc. To get new things did they have to take some others out?
Old November 30, 2001, 22:47   #2
Ka Shima
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Peat moss was swamp.
No more swamps...
Also, don't forget, even if your city does manage to grow a little bit...after 30+ turns of building that worker then clearing the land, you could still get disease coming through your city and knocking it back down to size 1!
I'd rather have a random occurrence like an asteroid blasting into earth, destroying all civs, except for one, leaving a default winner, than to deal with countless turns of frustration and playing a game utterly without hope.
Oh, yeah...
If I see a place like that in Civ3, I restart, immediately, because I know the AI will be able to expand all over me, and what few pathetic cities I'll manage to eek out...