Old February 25, 2002, 15:19   #451
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sure McDonalds are an underculture, and definitely not what the Americans should show. But ask to a foreign child about America : he will say it's the country of McDonalds (among other things).
McDonalds is sure a despicable image of America, but it is its identity in the rest of the world, with Coca Cola, and Hollywood crappy movies.
Among the foreigners, not all would think about Mark Twain or the values of freedom, only the America-lovers would think of them before thinking of the aforementioned underculture.

I'm myself pushing myself to find elements of valuable "culture" in America. I'm suprised I found
Old February 25, 2002, 19:12   #452
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:49
When it comes to cultural worldwide dominance I think that only desirable cultural influences will spread across borders. For example "Gun culture" is something America is famous for, but I don't see that spreading like McDonalds to every corner of the globe.

There are a whole host of other Americanisms that just fail miserably when they are forced onto other nations. The "Can I pack your groceries" assistance was removed by American stores in Europe because customers were put-off. And have you noticed SUVs overtaking the streets of Europe and Asia? Thought not.

Like it or not, McDonalds and crappy movies have succeeded because they do, at some level, appeal to the populace of the world.
Old February 25, 2002, 19:48   #453
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
The "Can I pack your groceries" assistance was removed by American stores in Europe because customers were put-off.
Not desirable? It is a very nice practice. It would have to be reinstated asap. This is precisely one of the very many things that I miss from America when in Europe.
Old February 25, 2002, 20:07   #454
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 03:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Rosacrux

...in the craphole?

And... peeps, punk is British. Influences from USA? Certainly. Nothing in music is parthenogenesis. But the rage was local. Punk has developed (for Malcolm's satisfaction) to a revolutionary movement and this had nothing to do with the intellectually interesting but albeit conventional as apple pie, american resembling genre at the time.

I'm afraid you're absolutely wrong. Credit where credit is due- punk originated in America, in New York, and if you read Jon Savage's book (England's Dreaming), you will find easily collated for your better reference, interviews with such luminaries as Glen Matlock (an early Sex Pistol) who mentions the material and influences and records that McLaren brought back with him.
If you consider punk as rebellion, then in Britain at least, it was pretty comfortable rebellion, with pre-Thatcher levels of housing benefit, social security, student grants and dole. Rather different in New York in 1973-74, for the likes of Patti Smith, Richard Hell and others- cold water flats and living hand-to-mouth.

There was little apple pie about Patti Smith's 'P!ss Factory/Hey Joe', or Suicide's early recordings- all of which pre-date British punk.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 26, 2002, 02:37   #455
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 12:49
It gets old, the hamburger thing. It seems like there's this obilgation for people to bring it up. Like when I read articles about US foreign policy written in Europe, quite often they'll have some reference to McDonald's. I don't notice it when I've read articles about other countries.

AUSTRALIAN MONEY WOES IMPACT REGION

The Economist June, 2001

...Labour representitive. Australians love meat pies and often eat them for lunch. The Australian dollar fell in comparison to other regional...

It just doesn't happen.

Well, actually, it probably does, just that I'm not sensitive to it. There are certain Australians stereotypes current in the US.

V.O.: "How Australian Bruce O'Malley eats a Reese's."

Bruce: "Oi takes a boyt and hucks it at a wallabe, mate, like a boomyrang." (Hucks candy.)

V.O.: "Nice shot. Too bad about that convict ancestry."

Bruce: "Bewdy."

The sick thing is that the ad is more of an embarassment to me than it should be to any Australian, because it's a load of crap.
Old February 26, 2002, 07:35   #456
molly bloom
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit

Well, actually, it probably does, just that I'm not sensitive to it. There are certain Australians stereotypes current in the US.

V.O.: "How Australian Bruce O'Malley eats a Reese's."

Bruce: "Oi takes a boyt and hucks it at a wallabe, mate, like a boomyrang." (Hucks candy.)

V.O.: "Nice shot. Too bad about that convict ancestry."

Bruce: "Bewdy."

The sick thing is that the ad is more of an embarassment to me than it should be to any Australian, because it's a load of crap.

Ah yes, and the average American rides out on a mustang and slays a buffalo with a bow and arrow, before bringing it back to the ranch for some Boston beans and ribs.....

It reminds me of an excruciatingly embarassing curry sauce advertisement in Great Britain, where some bright spark at an agency decided that 'real' British Asians would be great for advertising these sauces. The Sikh couple featured included a husband whose turban sat plonked awkwardly on his head and who was conspicuously clean shaven; the point being, that if he were observant enough a Sikh to wear a turban, he would undoubtedly have had a full beard too.

Perhaps in Melbourne's gourmet mecca we are overly fortunate, but although wallaby and kangaroo (and emu too) can be bought at Victoria Market, most people's lunches run the gamut from Laotian omelettes to pho, tapas and Nepalese goat curry.

Old February 26, 2002, 11:20   #457
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 13:49
I think McDonald's (or "Mickey-D's") is often equated with America, not just because it is ubiquitous, but also because it is a good example of a large, greedy, multinational corporation - and a very successful one at that. It seems to me that many people see the USA as the symbol of capitalism at it's worst (and, admittedly, we are surely the most capitalist nation on Earth). There are plenty of examples of huge U.S. companies expanding into third world countries and taking advantage of people who will work for 10 cents an hour, while dumping toxic chemicals out the back door. Then there is Enron.

So, when you see those Golden Arches popping up everywhere, selling total crap to people for a huge profit, you may not like it. The fact that many countries are home to the headquarters of large, greedy multinational corporations gets lost in the shuffle - America is the biggest and the baddest... and to be fair, the most obnoxious, particularly with regard to pollution controls.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 26, 2002, 12:28   #458
Rosacrux
Warlord

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom

I'm afraid you're absolutely wrong. Credit where credit is due- punk originated in America, in New York, and if you read Jon Savage's book (England's Dreaming), you will find easily collated for your better reference, interviews with such luminaries as Glen Matlock (an early Sex Pistol) who mentions the material and influences and records that McLaren brought back with him.
If you consider punk as rebellion, then in Britain at least, it was pretty comfortable rebellion, with pre-Thatcher levels of housing benefit, social security, student grants and dole. Rather different in New York in 1973-74, for the likes of Patti Smith, Richard Hell and others- cold water flats and living hand-to-mouth.

There was little apple pie about Patti Smith's 'P!ss Factory/Hey Joe', or Suicide's early recordings- all of which pre-date British punk.
MollyBloom, I think you got me wrong. The PUNK I, and the whole Europe knows of is British, not American. That's what I am trying to tell you. "Some recordings" in the USA do not consist "a movement", no matter how revolutionary or whatever they are.

I have lived thrugh the pank era and frankly the first time I heard of Patti Smith was in the early '80's - when the Punk rage was already steaming down in old Albion.

The Ramones are another story. They are good. Influental. Whatever. They ain't Punk. Period.

The Punk culture is british. You and I have to agree on that. As I said, the influences stand and perhaps P. Smith and the others did walked that path first. Musically and that's it. But it did not develop into a movement and if it did the brit punk was not a copy of it.

Plus, we both know that P.S's most controversial recordings never faired well in USA - and the mainstay of the American society was not influenced by it anyway. On the contrary, in Europe the punk movement developed into something HUGE! Probably you weren't around at the time so you don't know, but believe me for I was.

Last but not least... New York ain't USA. It's something else. Everybody knows that
Old February 26, 2002, 12:38   #459
Rosacrux
Warlord

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
When it comes to cultural worldwide dominance I think that only desirable cultural influences will spread across borders. For example "Gun culture" is something America is famous for, but I don't see that spreading like McDonalds to every corner of the globe.
Nope, only profitable cultural influences spread across borders. With all the local restrictions all over the world for guns, I wouldn't see how an american corporation can profit by selling guns to the masses (you'll have to export the cowboys first )
OTOH, there are no restrictions to junk food

Quote:
. And have you noticed SUVs overtaking the streets of Europe and Asia? Thought not.
Come over to Greece. Thousands of SUVs in Athens. Houndreds of thousands, actually. Where do you live?

Quote:
Like it or not, McDonalds and crappy movies have succeeded because they do, at some level, appeal to the populace of the world.
No, they succeed because they are marketed better than local products and represent the installment of the "Global village" trend - everyone wants to feel like a "citizen of the world" nowadays.
Old February 26, 2002, 12:42   #460
Ironikinit
Prince

Here's a cite for the punk discussion:

"Although Britain wasn't the birthplace of punk rock, it was the place where punk had the greatest musical and cultural impact, catching hold as the ultimate music of outrage and rebellion in a way it never quite duplicated in America. British punk was partly inspired by the back-to-basics rock & roll of the pub rock movement and the anything-goes theatrics of glam rock, but the main catalysts were early New York punks like the Ramones and the New York Dolls."

From http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=C11194

AMG is a good source. I don't know about the "never quite duplicated in America" bit. I think it could be argued that grunge was just warmed up punk, although admittedly often fused with metal.

The McDonald's thing, if that's what people think of when they think of America, I guess there's no helping it. Nothing I can do, anyway. Most countries have food items associated with them. Nobody really thinks that all Germans ever eat is sausage.

Burger King is owned by a British corporation, I believe. Doesn't make it British in origin any more than Taco Bell is Mexican, I'm just saying that these companies are international in operation and ownership. The hamburger itself isn't all that American, just look at the name.
Old February 26, 2002, 21:06   #461
molly bloom
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosacrux

Probably you weren't around at the time so you don't know, but believe me for I was.

Last but not least... New York ain't USA. It's something else. Everybody knows that

As I said in an earlier post, I'm an old, i.e., an early punk. I was there when it began, and can tell you that the formative influence was the punk scene in New York- now how you can believe that Richard Hell, Tom Verlaine, Television, Patti Smith, the New York Dolls, Suicide et al, don't consitute a scene, a movement, well....

They played gigs together at C.B.G.B.'s and elsewhere, Hell gigging with Verlaine, for instance, in a similar way to how the members of the later Liverpool scene of 'Teardrop Explodes', 'Echo and the Bunnymen' and 'Wah' interacted.

I'm suprised you heard of Patti Smith only as late as the early 80s. For me and many other Brits, 'Horses' was a defining album of the mid-70's, and with its referencing of 50s/60s music, Rimbaud and cries of 'Vive l'anarchie', touching on what were 'accepted' icons/progenitors of the punk movement. All her albums, 'Horses', 'Radio Ethiopia' (again the Rimbaud influence) and especially the breakthrough 'commercial' album, 'Easter', were all released by 1978, and she had had several headlining tours of Britain and France.

As to what punk eventually became, that is a different matter. It's rather like believing rock and roll began in Great Britain, because the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were heavily influenced by Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters and Big Bill Broonzy.

If you don't believe me, then read Savage's book, 'England's Dreaming'- if you get early members of the Sex Pistols saying how they were influenced by American punks, then clearly the people who were doing the influencing, are the ones who can be said to have begun the movement.

It's much easier to have a 'national' movement with smaller numbers and less work in Britain- if something appears on the B.B.C. evening news, then it'll be all over Great Britain. Rather more difficult in a country with as many time zones and regional differences and interests as the United States.

I'm also well aware that New York isn't America; similarly, London wasn't Great Britain, as was neither Liverpool, or the Manchester of Joy Division and the Smiths and New Order, or the Coventry of the TwoTone Scene, or the Bristol of Portishead and Massive Attack and Tricky.

It's entirely possible to have a national/international music scene grow from one main base- Seattle and grunge, for instance, but as many fans know, American punk was not limited to New York, although New York acted as a focal point, and American punk eventually would give us groups as disparate as Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, X, Devo, Pere Ubu and Wayne County and the Electric Chairs. For instance, when the Ramones played Great Britain, they were touted as a punk band, and accepted as such. The retrospective judging of punk/non-punk based on what commercialized/mainstream British punk developed into, is anachronistic. Groups as diverse as Blondie and the Ramones were all called punk in the beginning.

The American beginning, that is....

This online shrine/site to C.B.G.B. gave me great pleasure and waves of nostalgia reading it:

http://www.cbgb.com/

Old February 27, 2002, 07:37   #462
Ironikinit
Prince

This thread is the first time I've run into the idea that the Ramones aren't considered punk. Where's that come from?
Old February 27, 2002, 23:17   #463
molly bloom
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit
This thread is the first time I've run into the idea that the Ramones aren't considered punk. Where's that come from?

From an anachronistic view of punk, I suspect. After all, they did give us the wonderful 'Sheena is A Punk Rocker' which I can vividly recall sweatily pogoing to.....

' The Ramones Biography:

In the mid-'70s, the Ramones shaped the sound of punk rock in New York with simple, fast songs, deadpan lyrics, no solos, and an impenetrable wall of guitar chords. Twenty years later, with virtually all of their peers either retired or having moved on to forms other than punk, Joey and Johnny Ramone, the band's core, continued adamantly to parlay the same determinedly basic sound.

The group formed in 1974, after the foursome graduated or left high school in Forest Hills, New York. The original lineup featured Joey on drums, Dee Dee sharing guitar with Johnny, and Tommy as manager, but they soon settled on their recording setup. The Ramones gravitated toward the burgeoning scene at CBGB, where their 20-minute sets of rapid-fire, under two-and-a-half-minute songs earned them a recording contract before any of their contemporaries except Patti Smith.

In 1976 'The Ramones' was a definitive punk statement, with songs like "Beat on the Brat," "Blitzkrieg Bop," and "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" - 14 of them, clocking in at under 30 minutes. The group traveled to England in 1976, giving the nascent British punk scene the same boost they provided to New Yorkers. Before the year was out, 'Ramones Leave Home' had been released. Then as now, the band toured almost incessantly.

With their next two singles, the group began to soften their sound slightly. "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" and "Rockaway Beach" made explicit their debt to Sixties AM hit styles such as bubblegum and surf music, and both made the lower reaches of the Top 100. They were included on Rocket to Russia, which also contained the ballad "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow." At this point Tommy quit the group, preferring his behind-the-scenes activity as coproducer, "disguised" as T. Erdelyi (his real name).'

excerpted from the Rolling Stone online Ramones biography.

Of course, because the Ramones never resembled what British punk stereotypically eventually became (the spiked hair, mohawks, bondage trousers), it's easy to forget they were early progenitors of the sub-three minute thrash, in contrast to the three and a half hour (slight exaggeration) prog rock guitar or keyboard solo monstrosities of Kansas, Rush, Yes, E.L.P. and so forth. In punk's early days in Britain there was no 'uniform' style- as photographs in Savage's book show.

Old February 27, 2002, 23:19   #464
Big Fish
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:49
Oh and by the way on the top of the third page there was a discussion on who invented the internet. The precurser to the internet was created by the US military as a way to quickly send documents. The browser was created by England. Also american achevments. Electricity, the light bulb, the assembily line, the bessimer prosses (quick refinement of steel)
Old February 27, 2002, 23:52   #465
molly bloom
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Fish
Oh and by the way on the top of the third page there was a discussion on who invented the internet. The precurser to the internet was created by the US military as a way to quickly send documents. The browser was created by England. Also american achevments. Electricity, the light bulb, the assembily line, the bessimer prosses (quick refinement of steel)
I don't quite see how 'electricity' is an American invention; and the Bessemer process was invented by that famous non-American, Sir Henry Bessemer

Henry Bessemer was born on January 19, 1813 in Charlton, Hertfordshire, England. Bessemer developed the first process for mass-producing steel inexpensively. The dominant steel manufacturing technology of today is an extension and refinement of the one developed by Bessemer.

'The early experiments at Baxter House were so far successful, as to justify myself and some of my friends in entering into partnership, and erecting in the town of Sheffield, a steel works which still remains in active operation under the style of "Henry Bessemer and Company, Limited." These works were established both for commercial purposes, and also to serve as a pioneer works or school, where the process was for several years exhibited to any iron or steel manufacturers who desired to take a license to work under my patents. All of these were allowed, either personally or by their managers, to see their own iron converted prior to their taking a licence. '

an extract from Sir Henry's autobiography. That's Sheffield in Yorkshire, in Britain, by the way.

As far as electricty goes:

'Around 600 BC Greeks found that by rubbing an 'electron' (a hard fossilised resin that today is known as Amber) against a fur cloth, it would attract particles of straw. This strange effect remained a mystery for over 2000 years, until, around AD 1600, Dr William Gilbert investigated the reactions of amber and magnets and first recorded the word 'Electric' in a report on the theory of magnetism.
Gilbert's experiments led to a number of investigations by many pioneers in the development of electricity technology over the next 350 years.

Galvani and Volta

In 1786, Luigi Galvani, an Italian professor of medicine, found that when the leg of a dead frog was touched by a metal knife, the leg twitched violently. Galvani thought that the muscles of the frog must contain electricity. By 1792 another Italian scientist, Alessandro Volta, disagreed: he realised that the main factors in Galvani's discovery were the two different metals - the steel knife and the tin plate - apon which the frog was lying. Volta showed that when moisture comes between two different metals, electricity is created. This led him to invent the first electric battery, the voltaic pile, which he made from thin sheets of copper and zinc separated by moist pasteboard.
In this way, a new kind of electricity was discovered, electricity that flowed steadily like a current of water instead of discharging itself in a single spark or shock. Volta showed that electricity could be made to travel from one place to another by wire, thereby making an important contribution to the science of electricity.

Michael Faraday

The credit for generating electric current on a practical scale goes to the famous English scientist, Michael Faraday. Faraday was greatly interested in the invention of the electromagnet, but his brilliant mind took earlier experiments still further. If electricity could produce magnetism, why couldn't magnetism produce electricity.
In 1831, Faraday found the solution. Electricity could be produced through magnetism by motion. He discovered that when a magnet was moved inside a coil of copper wire, a tiny electric current flows through the wire. Of course, by today's standards, Faraday's electric dynamo or electric generator was crude, and provided only a small electric current be he discovered the first method of generating electricity by means of motion in a magnetic field.

Thomas Edison and Joseph Swan

In 1878 Joseph Swan, a British scientist, invented the incandescent filament lamp and within twelve months Edison made a similar discovery in America.
Swan and Edison later set up a joint company to produce the first practical filament lamp. Prior to this, electric lighting had been my crude arc lamps.
Edison used his DC generator to provide electricity to light his laboratory and later to illuminate the first New York street to be lit by electric lamps, in September 1882. Edison's successes were not without controversy, however - although he was convinced of the merits of DC for generating electricity, other scientists in Europe and America recognised that DC brought major disadvantages.

George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla

Westinghouse was an American inventor and industrialist who purchased and developed Nikola Tesla's patented motor for generating alternating current. The work of Westinghouse, Tesla and others gradually persuaded American society that the future lay with AC rather than DC (Adoption of AC generation enabled the transmission of large blocks of electrical, power using higher voltages via transformers, which would have been impossible otherwise). Today the unit of measurement for magnetic fields commemorates Tesla's name (that's the Croatia born Serbian inventor, later naturalized American citizen, Tesla)

Andre Ampere and George Ohm

Andre Marie Ampere, a French mathematician who devoted himself to the study of electricity and magnetism, was the first to explain the electro-dynamic theory. A permanent memorial to Ampere is the use of his name for the unit of electric current.
George Simon Ohm, a German mathematician and physicist, was a college teacher in Cologne when in 1827 he published, "The Galvanic Circuit Investigated Mathematically". His theories were coldly received by German scientists but his research was recognised in Britain and he was awarded the Copley Medal in 1841. His name has been given to the unit of electrical resistance.'

It's difficult to see from this brief overview how 'electricity' is an American invention.

Old February 28, 2002, 16:11   #466
Dauphin
Deity

The logical process of some people.
Who invented *insert invention here*?

1) If in doubt, *insert your country here* invented it.
2) If *insert other country here* invented it, highlight the works of a scientist from *insert your country here* and claim credit.
3) If *insert your country here* wasn't involved, find a substitute that did involve *insert your country here*.
4) If all else fails, mention something *insert your country* did invent.
Old March 1, 2002, 05:13   #467
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I think McDonald's (or "Mickey-D's") is often equated with America, not just because it is ubiquitous, but also because it is a good example of a large, greedy, multinational corporation - and a very successful one at that...
Oh, I absolutely love Mickey D's, of course not for food (which is btw. not sooo bad, I have eaten worse), but mainly for the always clean toilets. When I am driving along the German or European highways and need... somewhere, I avoid to use those stinking darkblue cuboidal containers, but better wait till I see the Golden Arches, mostly just a few kilometers farther. Costs me a coffee, or a burger (I am always hungry ) and things are fine. Sure, I call Mickey D's the "Center of American culture", but that's not more than a joke. Europeans are no less into fast food like Americans are (may be even more), or else MD and BK would not have such a success here.
Old March 1, 2002, 16:14   #468
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Oh, I absolutely love Mickey D's, of course not for food (which is btw. not sooo bad, I have eaten worse), but mainly for the always clean toilets.

That gave me a good chuckle. First, because it's a funny reason to like a fast food joint, and second because that's not something Mickey D's is known for over here.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 1, 2002, 16:30   #469
Cairo_East
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Sure, I call Mickey D's the "Center of American culture", but that's not more than a joke. Europeans are no less into fast food like Americans are (may be even more), or else MD and BK would not have such a success here.
I read somewhere that McDonalds would be posting huge losses if it weren't for the Happy Meal. The Happy Meal provides something like 40% of all sales (that percentage might be off, but not by much). I've noticed that Americans are eating much less at McDonald's/Burger King/etc. and more at "family eating" spots such as Chili's, Bennigan's, Outback Steakhouse, etc. I believe there is some economic theory that states that people will consume higher quality goods over cheaper ones when they rise up the economic ladder. I think this may have something to do with it. Or maybe there is a "europeanization" of American food culture. There are a lot more accessible ethnic/national restaurants that have popped up in the USA over the past 20 years.

Perhaps we've come to realize how bad fast food is, and have changed our tastes for the better.
-"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" (Genesis 1974)
Old March 1, 2002, 17:01   #470
Arrian
Deity

Well, if that's the case, the Happy Meal figure is a little upsetting, 'cause that means that kids are eating A LOT of fast food... hook 'em while they're young

D'Angelo and Subway are, IMHO, much better places to get a quick meal.

-Arrian

p.s. What the hell are we talking about? Why am I just now asking that? Why can't I go home? Why do people have to work on Fridays? Are we there yet?

Last edited by Arrian; March 1, 2002 at 22:15.
Old March 1, 2002, 19:42   #471
Big Fish
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:49
Just as a general question is it true that Burger king has to be called somthing eles in Britin

PS: the best thing to ever come out of britin was Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old March 2, 2002, 07:42   #472
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Fish
Just as a general question is it true that Burger king has to be called somthing eles in Britin
In the UK it is called Burger King. Why did you think it wasn't?
Old March 6, 2002, 14:50   #473
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Re: The logical process of some people.
Quote:

2) If *insert other country here* invented it, highlight the works of a scientist from *insert your country here* and claim credit.
3) If *insert your country here* wasn't involved, find a substitute that did involve *insert your country here*.
O Sagacious One, I concur.

I am happy that this tread has been mostly reasonable discussion. I think it is because people actually attempt to use facts to support their arguments. Yes! Its crazy, but it just might work!

On fast food, I don't think it is really as unhealthy and horrible as people say it is. My favorite fast food type place is Subway. It gives food of a higher quality than places like McDonalds, and it is much healthier.

On the inventions front, I think that many of the inventions in question were first thought of by Europeans, but then refined and mass produced by Americans. Either that, or they were made by someone who immigrated to America.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old March 11, 2002, 16:12   #474
Arrian
Deity

Sag,

The "thought process" is great - I like

It is yet another example of ethnocentricity. It's tough to be objective when it comes to your country/ethnicity/religious grouping. Emotion is the enemy of logic and reason, and I can't think of too many things that spark emotional responses quite like one's origins.

-Arrian

Old March 12, 2002, 14:56   #475
dunk
Prince

My two cents... (US citizen)

I love my country. I feel fortunate to live here.

Americans have also been very fortunate. Our independance from the English was a combination of luck, foreign aid (because England was experiencing the same resentment that we do today), and determination. As for WWII... we defeated Japan, not Germany. The Red Army defeated Germany, and would have marched all the way through France if the US didn't assist the UK on the western front. We were able to emerge from WWII as a dominant power because the only US territory fought on was Pearl Harbor and a couple Alaskan islands.

Americans have also grown arrogant and complacent due to our wealth and military power. So, in this repect, some of the anti-American sentiment is deserved. It is also sad that despite anyone's best efforts, their most negative traits are the ones that perpetuate.

Americans are one of the more diverse cultures on the planet (past or present). There are many things that are a direct result of that. Rock and Roll is probably the best example, for it is a blend of European folk music and African folk music.

Americans are the sons and daughters of outcasts from all around the world, be they European, African (who still remained outcasts here until the 20th century), or Asian. My country used to be a place for the downtrodden to come and become great (late 1800's and early 1900's). It is sad that we have become, in the eyes of many, the oppressors.

I'll concede that we as a country have committed some pretty awful crimes such as the slaughter of the native Americans, slavery of the Africans.

Leave us in. That's all I have to say about this one.
Old March 12, 2002, 20:06   #476
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Dunk999, I really like your post. Although you love your country, you don't act as an arrogant, know-it-all redneck, but as someone who can think, about positive and negative sides of your country. You just boosted up my esteem of the Americans (I know you're not the only intelligent one, far from it, but the rednecks are often the most noisy)
Old March 12, 2002, 22:46   #477
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
dunk999,
Great post,
Old March 13, 2002, 05:11   #478
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

That's indeed the post of the month , dunk999, *applauds*. And of course, the Americans must and will be left in.
Old March 13, 2002, 11:51   #479
dunk
Prince

Thanks for the kind words.
Old March 14, 2002, 05:01   #480
Thunderfire
Settler

Re: The logical process of some people.
Quote:

Very true. The truth ist nearly all inventions involved multiple people
from multiple nations.