Old January 22, 2002, 07:27   #181
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 18:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Serb, are you trying to argue with everybody? Without having a superior force the Germans hardly could have knocked at Moscows door after only 4 months of war.

Hey, I know about the fact, that some of the german generals were in soviet schools. We've been allies before Hitler betrayed you. And I agree with the superiority of the T-34. But when the war started, most of your divisions still were either not motorized or had light BT-5, BT-7 or old monsters like the T-26. T-34 and KV-1 were great tanks but very, very rare at the battlefield. The same to your planes. I-16's were no match for the Me-109 or the FW-190a. I read most of your military literature (Shukow, Popjel, Pokryshkin etc.) and believe me I know what I am talking about.

No doubt, that the relations changed within the first years of war, the Russians brought enforcements from Siberia and the T-34 (later the JS tanks) and the modern planes got into mass production, and fate of Germany was sealed.
Old January 22, 2002, 07:37   #182
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 19:49
For those of you who are more interrested in historical facts than just emotional declarations, here is a good site.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WW.htm

Until yet I didn't found there anything I could disagree about...
Old January 22, 2002, 07:39   #183
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
P.S. Germans have superior air force for the first year of war because most of our planes were destroyed on airfields during first hours of war.
Do you wish to state, that most of your planes were located within 100km of your western borders? Don't make me laugh . That would have beed incredibly dumb, no? I think a lot better of the soviet military of these times!
Old January 22, 2002, 11:33   #184
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
You see, this is just the point: You didn't understand my post. And now you don't understand my telling you didn't understand. Wanna try Round 3?
Anytime.
I will improve my English during next few months. May be you’ll have to spend your time for something useful too? For example you can take a couple of history lessons from Sir Ralf or you can take few lessons of Russian, to be able to translate some of our favorite sayings like- “posle draki kulukami ne mashut”
Old January 22, 2002, 12:00   #185
Harovan
staff

"After fighting don't swing your fists"... what does that mean?

Anyway, I also didn't want to offend you, Serb, just was trying to put some things straight. By the way, do you know, that the German 37mm antitank gun was unable to break the T-34 armor and the soldiers called it "military knocking device"? A small joke in very hard times...
Old January 22, 2002, 12:23   #186
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 13:49
Even if I took a bunch of history courses and posted my findings here, you'd misread it and be silly again. Thanks but I'd rather clean the inside of my computer case for dust.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old January 22, 2002, 12:55   #187
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 12:49
Yin, in as much as I am a fan of yours, I don't think it's really called for to criticize someone's English skills here. As we've all seen, there will inevitably be some misunderstandings with our friends from non-English speaking countries.

In fact, it's quite arrogant and "American" to expect everyone else in the world to speak English, don't you think? Personally, I think Serb's English is great and I only wish I could speak Russian like that.

Actually, while reading his post, I realized how fortunate we all are to be able to share a dialogue with people from all over the world and get a different perspective on world affairs. Civilization is an amazing game that encourages us to explore and expand our knowledge and Apolyton brings us together to share our ideas and exchange that knowledge. I think we can all agree that we have both taught AND learned so much from each other.

Anyhow, I have to say that Russia bore most of the burden of World War II. The same goes for China, which did most of the fighting in Asia against Japan. I was truly shocked when I had first learned how many millions of lives were lost there (estimated over 20 million!) I am certain that Germany's biggest mistake was opening a two-front war, particularly against such a formidable opponent as Russia.

However, the U.S. did tip the balance in favor of the Allies against the Axis. It also played a key role in providing a lifeline to Britain during its "neutrality" period. We take a lot of credit for entering the war so late in the game, but I also strongly believe that the Axis would have eventually prevailed if the U.S. did not join in the fight.

Perhaps the same will happen now for the war against terrorism?

Aren't you glad we're on your side again? <-- American arrogance.
Old January 22, 2002, 13:17   #188
jasev
staff
Spanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversApolytoners Hall of FamePSPB Team Español

Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar
In fact, it's quite arrogant and "American" to expect everyone else in the world to speak English, don't you think? Personally, I think Serb's English is great and I only wish I could speak Russian like that.
Completely agreed. I'll enjoy to see Yin writing in spanish. I've received a lot of jokes about my poor english and even more about my difficulties to understand many posts, and people usually don't think english is just a second (and sometimes, a third) language for a lot of people.

Quote:
Aren't you glad we're on your side again? <-- American arrogance.
We've been fighting against terrorism in the last thirty years. Of course we're glad you're on our side now. I'm just wondering on which side were you before. <-- European anti-US bashing

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Well, I daresay had we not entered the war, you'd be speaking German.
By the way, I wish to tell you that the US didn't save our ass in the WW2. At least, not in Spain. We continued under a fascist and militarist tirany until 1975. It was installed by the axis powers through a civil war between 1936 and 1939. And it was supported by the US since ~1948. So please don't tell me how thankful should I be because I see no motives.
"Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Last edited by jasev; January 22, 2002 at 18:48.
Old January 22, 2002, 13:36   #189
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

ah, the thread rages on
I see WWII continues to be a point of contention.

First off, while I find his posts to be heavily colored by emotion, I am quite impressed with Serb's English. Having been to Russia (for 2 short weeks), I was consistently impressed by the quality of English spoken by many of the people that I met (true, it was a high school trip arranged with an special English language school in Tver). I wish some more of the goodwill I saw on that trip played out on the international stage.

I don't think that anyone who has studied WWII can discount the incredible losses sustained by the Soviet Union, and the amount of damage done to the Nazi forces by the Red Army. If Hitler hadn't invaded the U.S.S.R., it is entirely possible the Axis would have won the war... or at the very least it would have taken much, much more to defeat them. However, Hitler was a meglomaniacal nutcase, as we all know, and his goal all along was to gain lebensraum (sp?) to his east, which meant attacking the Soviet Union. Luckily for the Germans, Stalin had done a wonderful job of gutting the Red Army's officer corps a few years earlier, which contributed to the difficulty they experienced fighting the Fins. This is not to say that the Red Army had no good officers, far from it, but many of its best, most innovative commanders were removed for "political" reasons. Further, despite repeated warnings of his intelligence officers, he refused to put the divisions on the western border on alert, fearful he would "provoke" Hitler.

As for the USA's involvement in WWII, the old "you would be speaking German if it weren't for us" line is silly, and of course it pisses people off. Heh, they would probably be speaking Russian, who knows? But seriously, the USA did make quite an impact - and Russian losses would have been even more horrific were it not for the opening of the second front at Normandy and the U.S. supplies that were shipped to Russia, often at great loss, in the artic convoys. Many nations can, in all fairness, claim to have played a major role in the defeat of the Axis. That's why it's called a WORLD War. I think the problem is that many people, in recounting the value of their own nation's role, discount the roles of others. I don't see that there is any need for that. The Russians can remind us of Stalingrad, Kursk and numerous other battles on the way to Berlin, the Americans can talk of Normandy, the Bulge, and the Pacific battles against Japan. The British can point to the Battle of Britain, Normandy, El-Alamein, and the convoys. The list goes on and on and on, so please don't take offense if I've left something out for the sake of brevity.

So Yin, Serb and everyone, take it easy, ok?

-Arrian

p.s "Ich bin ein Berliner" - a great example of what happens when Americans try to use foreign languages. Thank you, JFK.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Last edited by Arrian; January 22, 2002 at 13:43.
Old January 22, 2002, 13:54   #190
siredgar
Prince

There's nothing wrong with being "emotional" about what you believe in.

To me, it signifies that you have deep feelings about your ideas. I think Yin and Serb, both passionate people, are speaking from the heart and I appreciate that.
Old January 22, 2002, 14:25   #191
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar
In fact, it's quite arrogant and "American" to expect everyone else in the world to speak English, don't you think?
Despite the fact, that that you are right , but shouldn't the Americans first try to talk English themselves? As far as I can hear from UK citizens, there's not much of Oxford English left in their language.

Don't flame me on that, it wasn't meant serous.
Old January 22, 2002, 16:54   #192
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Serb, are you trying to argue with everybody? Without having a superior force the Germans hardly could have knocked at Moscows door after only 4 months of war.

Hey, I know about the fact, that some of the german generals were in soviet schools. We've been allies before Hitler betrayed you. And I agree with the superiority of the T-34. But when the war started, most of your divisions still were either not motorized or had light BT-5, BT-7 or old monsters like the T-26. T-34 and KV-1 were great tanks but very, very rare at the battlefield. The same to your planes. I-16's were no match for the Me-109 or the FW-190a. I read most of your military literature (Shukow, Popjel, Pokryshkin etc.) and believe me I know what I am talking about.

No doubt, that the relations changed within the first years of war, the Russians brought enforcements from Siberia and the T-34 (later the JS tanks) and the modern planes got into mass production, and fate of Germany was sealed.
I believe that you know what you talking about.
In fact I think that you are one of the few people here who really know history well. But question was about soviet technologies of that time. I was tried to convince guys who think that soviet army was week and technologically backward that they are mistaken. Yes, I agree with you that our modern tanks and planes were rare on battlefield in first year of war, but they existed. By the way, when the war started, German’s army does not have their best tanks like Tiger or Panter they were put into mass production later.

Germans has knocked at Moscow’s door after only 4 months of war because of many reasons. First of all I want to say that 4 months is a very long period of time for ‘Blitz kreeg’. No other European army was able to stand against Hitler’s forces for such long period of time. Should I remind that Germany crushed France during 44 days? In fact Hitler’s army don’t know military defeat until December 6 1941 when Red Army defeat them near Moscow. These 4 months was not easy walk for Hitler’s army. Germans never have such huge casualties before. Only during first two months of war Germany lose 400 000 of its soldiers, almost 2000 of planes, 50-65% of tanks. Of course Red Army’s casualties was much more, but when Hitler was informed about German’s casualties he said “ If I only knew that Russian have so many tanks, I’ve never start this war”. Yes, you have very strong army but you have meet with very strong opponent.

I can understand how do you feel when you see how American movies describe German’s soldiers of WW2, when one “brave American marine” shoot a dozen of Vermaht soldiers with one shoot. Americans know nothing about your army. The army, which conquers Europe during only 2 years, cannot be weak like their movies describe it. Actually Hitler’s army was one of the strongest armies humanity ever saw. Our two nations fight against each other many times. And no matter that we were enemies often, we always thought that Germans are very strong warriors, with old military traditions. And I know that you are feeling the same about us. Few days ago I’ve finished to read the memoir’s of general Hunter Blumentrit (He was the head of field marshal phon Kluge’s HQ) he treat Russian soldiers like strong warriors and very dangerous foe. Many of yours generals like Rundstait, Brauhich, Galder, Kestring and others (please forgive me if I type their names incorrect) try to warn Hitler that war against Soviet Unions is suicide. They were the generals who fight against us in WW1 and they know Russia very well.

Now I want to talk about German’s successes at summer- autumn of 1941. We underestimated the strength of your army. Stalin’s military doctrine was to hit enemy on enemy’s territory with little casualties. It was offensive doctrine. We was not ready for defensive war, we don’t have any serious fortification on our borders. Even thinking that Red Army may retreat counted as a crime. We were preparing for attack not for defense. But Hitler strikes first. That’s why the most part of our planes were located within 100km of our western borders. Yes, it was dumb. Stalin make big mistake and we paid very high price for that.

P.S. By the way, do you know that 100km wasn’t critical operational range for bombers?
In august 7 of 1941, while German’s forces almost knocking in Moscow doors, 15 soviet heavy bombers were take off from airbase in Eizel island, near Tallin. Each of them carried 500 kg of bombs and they have only one target- Berlin. Our planes cover 900 km and successfully bombed German’s capitol. Every plane returned from that assignment. Bombardments of Berlin continued until September 5, then we was forced to abandon airbase at Eizel Island. This was a real shock for the world. It was unique operation at that time, and the date September 7 is the birthday of long-range aviation. I want to remind this fact to guys who think that soviet army was not technologically advanced.
Old January 22, 2002, 17:50   #193
Serb
Emperor

Re: ah, the thread rages on
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I see WWII continues to be a point of contention.

As for the USA's involvement in WWII, the old "you would be speaking German if it weren't for us" line is silly, and of course it pisses people off. Heh, they would probably be speaking Russian, who knows? But seriously, the USA did make quite an impact - and Russian losses would have been even more horrific were it not for the opening of the second front at Normandy and the U.S. supplies that were shipped to Russia, often at great loss, in the artic convoys. Many nations can, in all fairness, claim to have played a major role in the defeat of the Axis. That's why it's called a WORLD War. I think the problem is that many people, in recounting the value of their own nation's role, discount the roles of others. I don't see that there is any need for that. The Russians can remind us of Stalingrad, Kursk and numerous other battles on the way to Berlin, the Americans can talk of Normandy, the Bulge, and the Pacific battles against Japan. The British can point to the Battle of Britain, Normandy, El-Alamein, and the convoys. The list goes on and on and on, so please don't take offense if I've left something out for the sake of brevity.

So Yin, Serb and everyone, take it easy, ok?

-Arrian

p.s "Ich bin ein Berliner" - a great example of what happens when Americans try to use foreign languages. Thank you, JFK.
I am really impressed by your knowledge of history, especially that fact that you know many things from our own history. I am absolutely agreed that – “the problem is that many people, in recounting the value of their own nation's role, discount the roles of others.” Tell me how many Americans know about Russian’s real role in WW2? How many of them think like you? It was the only reason why I’ve started my posts here. It was Allied victory not only American victory. Tell me how many computer games about WW2 (wargames for example) have mentions that Soviet Union was one of the countries that fight against AXIS?
Yes, may be I was too emotional in my post, but there is nothing I can do about that. I become very angry when I hear that someone try to reduce the role of my country in WW2.

I would like to thank you for been impressed by my English. I know its bad, but I am happy that someone can understand my post.
Old January 22, 2002, 17:54   #194
Harovan
staff

The "Panzers vs. Riflemen" example described the situation at the beginning of the war and was merely a try to "say it with Civ3 words". Sorry if it sounded offensive. In fact, the 4 German tank armies (Kleist, Guderian, Hoepner, Hoth) were stopped mostly by infantry (and by the upcoming winter, and by lack of fuel, and by lack of supply, and, and, and). Stalin pumped lots of infantry armies in the battle and took severe losses to break down the German offensive. Also, sending a big part of experienced officers in Gulags in 1937-38 was probably not such a good idea.

The T-34 mass production came only in 1942-43, the IL-2 and the JS-2 only at the end of the war. Especially the JS-2 was surely a match for the Panther and Tiger series, and even for the Tiger II. There was not such a big number of them though, the main job did the T-34. Although they generally looked bad against Tigers (which were rare), huge parts of the German tank forces were Panzer III and IV and this way no match for the thousands of simple but strong T-34.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot about the 100km thing. Well, it was just an example, I just can't believe that a country that's roughly 10000km from West to East concentrates all it's airforce in a small area. By the way, Germany did not have long range bomber forces, only light 2-propeller bombers kind of He-111, Do-17 and Ju-88.

Last edited by Harovan; January 22, 2002 at 18:03.
Old January 22, 2002, 18:11   #195
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
The "Panzers vs. Riflemen" example described the situation at the beginning of the war and was merely a try to "say it with Civ3 words". Sorry if it sounded offensive.
There was nothing offensive in your words. I’ve understood what you wanted to say.
Edit: Of course it was not entire our Air force, but major part of it. There is nothing unusual in concentration of forces in region most likely for breakthrough of enemy’s defense. I think that major part of Germans aviation was concentrated beyond the other side of our frontier. Am I mistaken?

Last edited by Serb; January 23, 2002 at 02:21.
Old January 22, 2002, 18:28   #196
Harovan
staff

I don't know exact numbers. Time to read a book again, I guess.
Old January 22, 2002, 18:48   #197
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Re: Re: ah, the thread rages on
Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

Tell me how many Americans know about Russian’s real role in WW2? How many of them think like you? It was the only reason why I’ve started my posts here. It was Allied victory not only American victory. Tell me how many computer games about WW2 (wargames for example) have mentions that Soviet Union was one of the countries that fight against AXIS?
Well, from the entertainment standpoint (computer games, movies, etc.) there seems to be a belief on the part of the entertainment industry that the product will only sell here if it is all about Americans. They may be right, but I am generally appalled by it, since I usually spot their little "changes" to history immediately.

As for what Americans believe... well, there are 250+ million of us, so I don't know exactly, but the people that I know tend to have a much better sense of history than the average American - which isn't really hard. I majored in history in college, as did some of my friends, and it has always been a passion of mine (instilled by my father, who grew up in Wales, and thus received a British education). My group of friends, however, is probably not very representative of what most Americans know/think about history, as we all have the benifit of a college education, at a pretty good liberal arts school.

Unless one chooses to study history at a high (I would say university) level, you are limited to whatever the public school system provides. America's public schools vary WIDELY in their quality, but overall aren't very good, particularly with regard to history, which is usually lumped in with "Social Studies." I remember correcting my American History teacher several times during my Junior (3rd out of 4) year of high school (she had incorrect dates for various battles and things). Now that's pathetic...and I went to a very good school! Most of the time alloted for history in public schools is spent on American history. Much of the "world history" is done in the lower grade levels, and thus the kids don't learn much about the rest of the world.

Here is something scary. There was a survey done of high school seniors in the U.S. during my senior year of high school. This survey asked very basic questions, like "who was the first president of the United States?" and things like that. I was horrified to learn that 50% of American high school seniors were UNABLE TO FIND THE PLACE WHERE THEY LIVED ON A MAP. How many do you think could find Afganistan? It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Another story to illustrate my point: In college, a friend of my (then) girlfriend asked me to to help her prepare for a test on WWII. I started asking her basic questions so that I could figure out the best place to begin. She didn't know when it started and when it ended. She didn't know how it started. At this point I'm pretty amazed, so I start backtracking. She didn't know how Hitler came to power... she didn't know anything about the Treaty of Versailles, she didn't know anything about WWI. At this point, I decided we needed several hours, and I started in 1914.

This was not a poor, uneducated person who slipped through the cracks. This was a relatively affluent, educated young woman who just didn't know ANYTHING about the biggest, bloodiest war this world has ever seen.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 22, 2002, 21:24   #198
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Russia took the massive burden of WW2 and to it and to ourselves we own our freedom.

But because they were communist the west doesn't admit it. Also because it watches hollywood movies too.

I remember reading how the Greeks defeating the Italians and thus obliging the Germans to come attack us gave time to the Russians to catch the Germans in the harsh winter.

But Greece was liberated by english troops from the Germans.

Everyone who fought did something. Russia did the most.
Old January 22, 2002, 23:43   #199
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 03:49
I have found this thread quite illuminating- having been brought up in Coventry- a city made notorious by Goering's avowed desire to make 'coventration' a synonym for saturation bombing, and twinned with Volgograd- formerly Stalingrad.
It occurred to me, for instance, how the myth of the Japanese Army's supposed invincibility was propagated after their defeats of American and British Empire and Chinese forces. What a pity then that more people didn't know (and still don't) about Zhukov's defeat of the Japanese in Manchuria- in 1939.

http://www.danford.net/nomonhan.htm

'General Georgi Zhukov was one of the few generals to survive Stalin's 1937-39 Purge of the Red Army. He was probably the most talented military leader in the Soviet Union and was certainly the most successful.
Zhukov's first victory was the Battle of Khalkan-Gol, fought in July and August, 1939, near Nomonhan, Mongolia, as part of the undeclared war with Japan. This battle, little noticed in the West, ended Japanese Army attempts to invade Soviet Asia and led Japanese militarists to look elsewhere for ways to expand their Empire. Thus, it led indirectly to the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Zhukov's next success was the defense of Leningrad, during the first autumn of the German invasion of the USSR, in 1941. Moved to a higher command, he lead the Western Front-Army in the defense of Moscow, holding back the Germans once again. In 1942, Zhukov directed the defense of Stalingrad and the succeeding counteroffensive which trapped and destroyed the German 6th Army, in 1943.'

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old January 23, 2002, 01:10   #200
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever

that said.... iroquois are a little weird to have in civ but then again....they were slaughtered by the "amazing" american culture and warfare......

this is a mockery of reality of course.....so take with a grain of salt
Or maybe an opportunity for symbolic revenge.
Old January 23, 2002, 01:18   #201
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Rock and Roll - don't think that's a US invention, either.
"The blues had a baby and they named it Rock and Roll."

Rock & roll started out as an amalgamation between Blues and Country & Western, both American music styles. Even the Beatles got much of their inspiration by listening to American artists.
Old January 23, 2002, 01:50   #202
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
It occurred to me, for instance, how the myth of the Japanese Army's supposed invincibility was propagated after their defeats of American and British Empire and Chinese forces. What a pity then that more people didn't know (and still don't) about Zhukov's defeat of the Japanese in Manchuria- in1939.
This is the point. Many people do not know about our victories and belief in silly myth like myth about invincibility of Japan's army. I'll be not surprised if some of you do not know that Soviet Union declared war against Japan in 1945 and started a big groud offence on Far East.

Last edited by Serb; January 23, 2002 at 02:18.
Old January 23, 2002, 05:53   #203
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
But because they were communist the west doesn't admit it. Also because it watches hollywood movies too.
Yea, I guess that's the point.

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
I remember reading how the Greeks defeating the Italians and thus obliging the Germans to come attack us gave time to the Russians to catch the Germans in the harsh winter.
Sounds like the biggest problem of the Germans in the first years of the war were their own allies. Same occured in North Africa (what the heck had the Germans to do there?), and around Stalingrad the Soviets broke mainly through the lines helt by Germany's allies, thus surrounding Germany's 6th army. Don't take me wrong please, I am sure Germany would have lost the war also if Mussolini wouldn't have made his brainless raids, but I think the Duce helped the Allies a lot, by his way.

What concerns Zhukov: I agree, he was an outstanding military leader (is he a Russian GL? I doubt...). I read his memoires several times and am every time fascinated. But he was a leader of Stalin's inner circle though, and morally not always clean.
Old January 23, 2002, 06:13   #204
Harovan
staff

Arrian, I just read your last post and heartly thank you for it. I know both kinds of Americans, the silent, well educated and honest, and the loud, half educated, propaganda vulnerable with the "We are the greatest and we saved your asses" attitude.

I also don't like the way like many Germans act in foreign countries. Often I'm ashamed to admit to be one of them, not because of Hitler, but because of the unworthy attitude of some of my country-mates.

I am 100% sure, these 2 types of people exist in every nation, be it Americans, Russians, Germans or whoever. It ain't a reason of America-bashing at all.
Old January 23, 2002, 07:26   #205
Dry
Prince

Quote:
I am 100% sure, these 2 types of people exist in every nation, be it Americans, Russians, Germans or whoever. It ain't a reason of America-bashing at all.
It is an illness of great (large? big?) nations.
What is funny with some psots here is that what is said on Americans is what is usually said in Belgium about French people.
When you can spend your whole life inside your own country, move to another city for another job, go on holiday to the sea, the mountains, without leaving the country, the only sight you have of foreigners are
- your own media, highlighting the dramatic events
- those foreigners immigrating to your country
The larger the country, the greater the problem.

This last source of information, I should explain by 2 examples:
1. Our (Belgium) former colony is Congo. When you speak with congolese people living now in Belgium, most of them will say they like Belgium: small country, people are not arrogant. So one may think "hey, look, most of them like us, we were the best, nicest colonial nation is the world".
Well, if you think twice, you will agree that when people want to immigrate, they go to/stay in a country they like. So I assume that Congolese immigrating to France will say that belgians are just arrogant people and they prefer the french. Same with Congolese immigrating to the US.
2. When you speak with US people living in Europe, you will hear that they prefer european life style and you will hear by their mouth all the 'bad' aspects of US lifestyle. I guess the same if true for Europeans living in the US.

If you don't experiment the life in other countries by yourself, you have only twisted sight on them.
And it is easier to go abroad when you live in a small country.

Belgium: go 100km north you're in Netherland, 100km east you're in Germany, 100km south you're in France, 100km west you're in UK.
Old January 23, 2002, 09:17   #206
Viper2263
Settler

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
Originally posted by jasev

Sorry, bad examples. The Inca only lasted as a civilization about 200 years, and they were a true kingdom (more exactly, an empire) only for 100 years until the spanish arrived. The aztecs founded Tenochtitlan on 1325, so they lasted almost 200 years. And the vikings... well, they achieved great navigation advances, but I'm not sure they are a true civilization. I tend to consider them more as barbarians.
I realize this might be kind of late, but...

I have a Norweigen girlfriend who might disagree with that.
Old January 23, 2002, 09:59   #207
Viper2263
Settler

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah

Balloons and gliders long before them, and many others working independently on the same ideas.

Watson was simultaneous with Franklin. But there were a lot of steps to be taken, making this a global accomplishment imho. Franklin couldn't have done it without knowledge of the Leyden jar, for instance.
Self propelled flight was the key with the wright brothers, if they weren't so familiar with bikes and aluminum (of which they built their 16?hp engine) and their techniques of control (including statically unstable aircraft, the key component in fighters, and wing warping). All of these components added together are how the Wright brothers made powered flight possible...they didn't just take others ideas...they made the whole idea possible...no one else had their aircraft manuvering experiance. Guidance and control is their contribution. Up until their advent of the airplane, gliders were controlled by shifting weight (ungainly).

Speaking as a desendant of Franklin, he made many many other contributions, most having to do with electricity (the lightning rod), but others in mechanics, politics, and diplomacy.
Old January 23, 2002, 10:18   #208
siredgar
Prince

Serb, while I do not doubt the competence of some WWII Russian generals and the courage of most of their soldiers, I had the impression that most of the Russian forces during this time were poorly-trained, poorly-armed conscripts. Also, it is widely believed that a large factor in Russian strategy during WWII was similar to Chinese strategy during the Korean War-- "flooding" the enemy with masses of troops. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but that is partly why so many died.

Last edited by siredgar; January 23, 2002 at 10:23.
Old January 23, 2002, 10:37   #209
Harovan
staff

Without wanting to offend Serb, but I have the same opinion. It took place especially in the first 2 years of the German-Soviet war. Tanks and planes still weren't available in a sufficient number, and conscript armies with 3 inf divisions of 10000 soldiers each, with 2 regiments of artillery (as written by Zhukov, for comparison German divisions had 20-25000) were quickly pumped out.
Old January 23, 2002, 11:21   #210
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
In fact, it's quite arrogant and "American" to expect everyone else in the world to speak English, don't you think?
Let's get one Goddamn thing straight right here and now: If you are going to attack WITHOUT FU*KING UNDERSTANDING WHAT I'M SAYING, better by God better prepare to sit down and hear a lecture.

By the way, I'm fluent in Korean and working on Chinese. I could give a good God piss that you speak Russian and English. Impresses me not at all. You want to impress me? Go back and actually understand what I was saying before you started spouting crap.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.