Old January 25, 2002, 20:09   #241
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 03:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

You are absolutely correct!!!
It's too sad that we lost so many talanted generals likeTukachevsky during Stalins purges.
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to the 'Drang nach Osten' and Operation Barbarossa if Tukachevsky and I.V. Kalinovsky had survived- by the early 1930s, the Soviet Army had over 10 000 armoured combat vehicles. Unfortunately, Pavlov, who succeeded them, based his theories on Soviet experience in the Spanish Civil War, and deemed massed tank attacks wasteful and unnecessary- leading to the breaking down of the specialized tank units and their dispersal in small packets to infantry formations- and we all know what happened next....

Don't worry about your command or usage of English- it's infinitely better than most English speakers' command of Russian.
I never could get the hang of a language with two ablative cases.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old January 26, 2002, 04:38   #242
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to the 'Drang nach Osten' and Operation Barbarossa if Tukachevsky and I.V. Kalinovsky had survived- by the early 1930s, the Soviet Army had over 10 000 armoured combat vehicles.
I think at this case there is a possibility that Hitler don’t attack SU at all.
Old January 29, 2002, 00:28   #243
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 12:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wasn't Hitler convinced to attack the Soviets after their fiasco in Finland??
Old January 29, 2002, 02:36   #244
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium
Wasn't Hitler convinced to attack the Soviets after their fiasco in Finland??
I think you should ask some of our Finish freinds about that "fiasco". The Manergeim's line was belived to be unbreakeable fortification, but Red Army break it and forced Finland to surrender, and don't forget that it was in winter time and temperature was -40C. Red Army did almost impossible thing.Finland was surrendered and lose part of it's territory. If you call this- "fiasco", than I don't know what you call "victory" in that case.
Old January 29, 2002, 07:55   #245
Ironikinit
Prince

Quote:
Iwas angry because many of our American frends like to shout- "we saved your asses". This is absolutely unacceptable for me. I don't like when someone trying to rewrite the World's history.
I'm not sure where this idea comes from. I know it is a common one among Americans, but I wasn't taught it in school. Anyone who has read the history of WWII knows that the Soviets broke the Nazi war machine, while the US broke Imperial Japan. That's an oversimplification, but close to the truth IMO. It was, of course, all an allied effort and none of it should be overlooked. But those two were the giants.

Heh, I took a look back at some earlier posts.

Somebody posted this link: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WW.htm
While it has sections listed on British, German, Japanese, and French military leaders, none are listed for Russian or American.

Yin can be safely ignored, BTW. Well, people pretty much seem to ignore or patronize him anyway, but I actually clicked on his profile and ignored him. You can still read his posts just by clicking on where they would be in the thread if you wonder what he said.

Actually, according to accounts I've read, the Soviet performance against Finland encouraged the Nazis to attack the USSR.

And American made games based on WWII do actually show that the Russians were fully involved in the war. Two popular games that the Soviets have a big role in are Panzer General and Axis and Allies. It's hard to imagine a grand strategy game based on WWII that doesn't feature the USSR.

BTW, many Americans, esp. during the cold war, considered the USSR's declaration of war against Japan in '45 to be simple opportunism.

Last edited by Ironikinit; January 29, 2002 at 08:21.
Old January 29, 2002, 08:41   #246
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 19:49
Quote:
I think you should ask some of our Finish freinds about that "fiasco". The Manergeim's line was belived to be unbreakeable fortification, but Red Army break it and forced Finland to surrender, and don't forget that it was in winter time and temperature was -40C. Red Army did almost impossible thing.Finland was surrendered and lose part of it's territory. If you call this- "fiasco", than I don't know what you call "victory" in that case.
When you don't achieve your objective, it is not what I should call a 'victory'.
When you lose 400,000 men (some say even 600,000...) against an army of 160,000, I think indeed that Pyrrhus would have called that a 'victory'.
Finland on her side, saved her ass. They had to make peace, but - and I am not an english native, so forgive if I'm wrong - I wouldn't call that 'to surrender'. SU didn't occupy Finland, it just took a few square miles.

A quick google search and you may have some Finn view of it:

http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/war1.html
Old January 29, 2002, 08:42   #247
jasev
staff
Spanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversApolytoners Hall of FamePSPB Team Español

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit
BTW, many Americans, esp. during the cold war, considered the USSR's declaration of war against Japan in '45 to be simple opportunism.
Not only americans. Many other people, including me, think it was. Declaring war to an already defeated enemy is, at least, opportunist. Italy did the same declaring war to France when german Panzerdivisionen were at the gates of Paris.
"Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico
Old January 29, 2002, 09:40   #248
Dry
Prince

Quote:
Opportunist?
Stalin?
Noooooooo.

Remind me that name of that Island... Sala, Sara,..Sakha-something ... Saccharine or so.

Kaaaalin...Kakalin...Sakhalin...(russian folk song).
Old January 29, 2002, 14:30   #249
siredgar
Prince

Quote:
Yang!!! Yang were are you? Help!!!
LOL.
Old January 29, 2002, 14:46   #250
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dry

When you don't achieve your objective, it is not what I should call a 'victory'.
When you lose 400,000 men (some say even 600,000...) against an army of 160,000, I think indeed that Pyrrhus would have called that a 'victory'.
Finland on her side, saved her ass. They had to make peace, but - and I am not an english native, so forgive if I'm wrong - I wouldn't call that 'to surrender'. SU didn't occupy Finland, it just took a few square miles.

A quick google search and you may have some Finn view of it:

http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/war1.html
Disagreed.
Actually we achieved our objective. And I’ll try to explain my point of view.
First of all, I wish to say about reasons of this war. The major and the only reason of this conflict was Russian-Finland’s frontier. The frontier between our countries was too close to Russian’s “Northern capital”- Leningrad; it was so close that Finns long-range artillery was able to reach Leningrad. Stalin seriously thought that Hitler might use Finland as bridgehead for attack on Soviet Union, and future events shows that Stalin was absolutely right. That’s why so close border between SU and Finland was real danger for Soviets. Why border was so close? It’s simple, because this border didn’t exist until 1918. Finland was part of Russia until Bolsheviks revolution in 1917. (Btw, many of Finns generals who fought against soviets in this war, has Russian military education, for example their president- Mannergeim was Russian general until 1917).
Before Stalin makes decision to make military operation, he offers to trade this “strategic” Finns territory for larger soviet’s territory. Finns rejected the offer. They were absolutely sure that no one could break through Mannergeim’s Line. They were not far away from truth. Mannergeim’s Line was really superior fortification complex. I am sorry, but my English is not sufficient for description of all technical aspects of this fortification. You have to believe me that it was very tough defense, actually it was the best fortification in the world for that time, it can be compared only to Mazheno’s Line in France, but Mannergeim’s Line was ten times stronger.
So, Finns were absolutely sure that they are in safe, but Stalin gives the order and unbreakable Mannergeim’s Line was broken within 100 days. Finns fought heroically but their bravery didn’t save them. Line was broken, peace was signed and goal was achieved. Yes, Soviet forces did not occupy Finland, but Stalin actually never wanted to occupy it. He even don’t use word- “war”, he prefer to call this events- “a frontier conflict between Soviet Union and Finland”. He supposed that full-scale war against Finland might have very bad consequences, and I think he was right. Who knows may be England or France declared war on Soviet Union if soviets occupied Finland, but I also think that after the penetration of Mannergeim’s Line, occupation of Finland was a really easy task, but all what Stalin wanted- is to secure our back before major war- war vs Germany begin. I am absolutely sure that this ”few square miles”- how you’d called them, saved Leningrad when Hitler’s forces moves on our “Northern capital” from Finland territory in 1941. That’s why I think that we achieved our objective.
Yes, during 100 days of war with Finland Soviet Union received huge casualties. But I am absolutely sure that any other army of the world didn’t make it better then we did. Most of the work was done by infantry, because the rough terrain and very cold whether –40C and sometimes even –50C exclude the use of tanks. Red Army did almost impossible thing, and I think that “fiasco”- is not proper word to describe it.

P.S. Yes, I suppose that Pyrrhus would have called that a 'victory', but Pyrrhus never fought against Finns, who a very, very strong warriors, and of course Pyrrhus never saw fortifications like Mannergeim’s Line.

Last edited by Serb; January 29, 2002 at 15:27.
Old January 29, 2002, 15:11   #251
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jasev

Not only americans. Many other people, including me, think it was. Declaring war to an already defeated enemy is, at least, opportunist. Italy did the same declaring war to France when german Panzerdivisionen were at the gates of Paris.
Looks like we have different versions of history again.
It was the part of the deal, between Allies. America and England opens second front against Germany, and after victory Soviet Union declares war on Japan, actually president Roosevelt asked Stalin about that.
I wish I could know why you think that Japan was “an already defeated enemy”.
If you think so because you are sure that Japan surrender after American nukes drops on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Well, in this case I’m gone surprise you; Soviet Union declares war on Japan before the bombs were dropped. As you might know bombs were dropped at August 6 and August 9. Never ask yourself why in this case Japan surrender in September than? I can answer this question for you. Japanese are born warriors and they fought for last man. Red army took big part in defeat of Japan; many of our soldiers were killed. Now you call it opportunism. Thank you very much for your gratitude than.

EDIT: Oops, almost forget- de juro we are still in war with Japan, we don't signed a peace treaty in 1945. You see for us war is not over yet, we are still at war with Imperial Japan, and I don't understand why you call them "an already defeated enemy" we fight against them during last 50 years. Is it opportunism?
Just kidding

To Dry:
Quote:
Remind me that name of that Island... Sala, Sara,..Sakha-something ... Saccharine or so.
Kaaaalin...Kakalin...Sakhalin...(russian folk song).
Ha-ha-ha. It was very funny; this song is about raspberries not about Sakhalin Island.

Last edited by Serb; January 29, 2002 at 15:39.
Old January 29, 2002, 15:29   #252
siredgar
Prince

The Japanese have always had a history of being "warlike" (see about the origins of the kimono) and they were very determined fighters as you say, but most historians will view Russian participation in the Pacific theater as "opportunistic".

It helped give a boost to the spread of communism in China and also aided in the installation of the regime in North Korea. The Russians took back Sakhalin as well as a northern islands and I believe some territory in Manchuria and Mongolia, too.

Anyhow, the Chinese did most of the fighting, but they would have lost without the Americans.
Old January 29, 2002, 15:49   #253
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar
The Japanese have always had a history of being "warlike" (see about the origins of the kimono) and they were very determined fighters as you say, but most historians will view Russian participation in the Pacific theater as "opportunistic".

It helped give a boost to the spread of communism in China and also aided in the installation of the regime in North Korea. The Russians took back Sakhalin as well as a northern islands and I believe some territory in Manchuria and Mongolia, too.

Anyhow, the Chinese did most of the fighting, but they would have lost without the Americans.
I wish I could know how these historians describe America’s participation in Europe theater. Don’t you see anything familiar? If SU was "opportunistic" in Pacific theater, then I think the same could be said about America on Europe theater.

EDIT:
BTW Soviet Union started to support China in war against Japan since 1939. In battle of Khalkin-Gol, (river in Manchuria) Red Army commanded by Zhukov one- of our legendary generals defeat Japan forces. In fact we were in war with Japan since that time, but it was undeclared war.

Last edited by Serb; January 29, 2002 at 15:58.
Old January 29, 2002, 16:12   #254
Serb
Emperor

Quote:

I'm not sure where this idea comes from. I know it is a common one among Americans, but I wasn't taught it in school. Anyone who has read the history of WWII knows that the Soviets broke the Nazi war machine, while the US broke Imperial Japan. That's an oversimplification, but close to the truth IMO. It was, of course, all an allied effort and none of it should be overlooked. But those two were the giants.
I suppose idea comes from Hollywood.
Old January 29, 2002, 16:52   #255
jasev
staff
Spanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversApolytoners Hall of FamePSPB Team Español

NOTE: I'll talk about the allies (USA, UK) and about the russians sepparatly, trying to be clearer.

Quote:
Looks like we have different versions of history again.
It was the part of the deal, between Allies. America and England opens second front against Germany, and after victory Soviet Union declares war on Japan, actually president Roosevelt asked Stalin about that.
I see. So... Germany surrenders 7th may. This means that "After victory" means 4 means after... curious. I know that Russia is big to cross, but...

Quote:
I wish I could know why you think that Japan was “an already defeated enemy”.
No oil. Destroyed industrial capacity. No more ships. Almost no planes. And that was BEFORE the A-bombs. Japanese might have fought for the last man, but they were defeated and everybody knew it.

Quote:
If you think so because you are sure that Japan surrender after American nukes drops on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Well, in this case I’m gone surprise you; Soviet Union declares war on Japan before the bombs were dropped. As you might know bombs were dropped at August 6 and August 9. Never ask yourself why in this case Japan surrender in September than?
Ejem... let me explain something. Japan surrendered on 14th August. The terms of the peace were signed on 2nd September, but the combats stopped a week after Nagasaki. According to W.S. Churchill, the japanese government contacted the allies (UK, USA, France ) on 10th August (the day after Nagasaki, when they realized the US had more bombs) to ask for the surrender terms. The allied answered with an ultimatum that was accepted on 14th August. The combats, at least those between the allies and japanese stopped inmediatly. If the CCCP continued fighting to achieve territorial conquests, it was not because of the japanese courage but Stalin's refusal to stop the fight. Maybe he wanted to have his flag over the Imperial Palace just like in Berlin.

Quote:
I can answer this question for you. Japanese are born warriors and they fought for last man. Red army took big part in defeat of Japan; many of our soldiers were killed. Now you call it opportunism. Thank you very much for your gratitude than.
Well, I don't know why should I be grateful, my country was not at war. The war in Spain stopped on 1939.

BTW, during the cold war I rode a story in the Reader's Digest (I don't know if it was true or just american propaganda) talking about japanese efforts to achieve peace before knowing about the A-bomb; they contacted with Stalin (still neutral) to ask the allies for the peace terms. But when Stalin knew about the american intentions to throw the bomb, the contacts stopped; and soon after the bombs were dropped, he declared the war to Japan. I'll look for the book, it was really interesting.
Old January 29, 2002, 19:12   #256
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:49
Quote:

BTW, during the cold war I rode a story in the Reader's Digest
I think you mean "read", same spelling in past tenses as in the present tense, just pronounced differently - "reed" present vs "red" past).

Rode is the past tense of ride. As in riding a horse.

Old January 29, 2002, 23:09   #257
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
NOTE: I'll talk about the allies (USA, UK) and about the russians sepparatly, trying to be clearer.
Quote:
I see. So... Germany surrenders 7th may. This means that "After victory" means 4 means after... curious. I know that Russia is big to cross, but...
First of all, war was declared after less then 3 months. There nothing curious in that, I don’t think that someone was possible to move such huge army from Germany to Japan, and make all preparations within shorter period. For example Allies (as you are I mean USA and GB as Allies) make preparation during 3 years before they started invasion in Normandy. I think 3 years more curios period then 3 months.

Quote:
No oil. Destroyed industrial capacity. No more ships. Almost no planes. And that was BEFORE the A-bombs. Japanese might have fought for the last man, but they were defeated and everybody knew it.
Then tell why at this case Truman dropped the bombs?

Quote:
If the CCCP continued fighting to achieve territorial conquests, it was not because of the japanese courage but Stalin's refusal to stop the fight. Maybe he wanted to have his flag over the Imperial Palace just like in Berlin.
Who knows? But Russians has had to many “questions” to Japan. They (Japanese) took some of our territory after their intervention during Russian civil war, and Stalin wanted those lands back and actually he tacked them back.

Quote:
BTW, during the cold war I rode a story in the Reader's Digest (I don't know if it was true or just american propaganda) talking about japanese efforts to achieve peace before knowing about the A-bomb; they contacted with Stalin (still neutral) to ask the allies for the peace terms. But when Stalin knew about the american intentions to throw the bomb, the contacts stopped; and soon after the bombs were dropped, he declared the war to Japan. I'll look for the book, it was really interesting.
Do you see any logic in that?
It was just American propaganda. Everybody knows that fact that Truman informed Stalin that bombs were dropped. And I wish to repeat that SU had to declare war vs Japan because it was part of agreement between SU, USA and GB.

Quote:
Well, I don't know why should I be grateful, my country was not at war. The war in Spain stopped on 1939.
Do you know about that fact that many soviet soldiers were killed at this war fighting against regime of general Franco? We fought on your side at 1936-1939. How about little gratitude for that?
Old January 30, 2002, 06:35   #258
Dry
Prince

Quote:
The frontier between our countries was too close to Russian’s “Northern capital”- Leningrad; it was so close that Finns long-range artillery was able to reach Leningrad. Stalin seriously thought that Hitler might use Finland as bridgehead for attack on Soviet Union, and future events shows that Stalin was absolutely right.
Sorry man, but no, no. No.
This Stalin speach is the speach of a paranoiac leader.
The so-called need to take pre-emptive action for some imaginary threat is pure paranoia.
And the a posteriori excuse of "and the future showed us that it was right" is just plain bulls###.
If I go in the street and grab some man, hold him fast, gag him and if someone ask me "why do you do that?", and my answer is "because he was about to hit me, and call his friends to help him in his evil deeds". If the people say that I am just a paranoiac, they will be right.
And if afterward, the guy I am holding fast tries to escape, call for help, and in his attempt to escape he hits me, in my paranoiac logic, I will say "Hey, look, I was right, he tried to hit me with the help of his friends, it was my right to take pre-emptive action for my own security". Will you say that I was right?

This logic is unfortunately a too common logic that you will find today. Look at almost all hot points in the world of today and you will find paranoiac leaders, taking some kind of "pre-emptive action" and justifying them by "what happen now show that we were right".

I can perfectly well imagine the Finnish government of that time, concerned by they big neighbour and its unpredictable leader, that *they*, rightfully, take some pre-emptive action like conclude an alliance/mpp with another "powerfull" country - even with the devil if their survivance is in the balance.

When SU say that they are threaten by a small country like Finland, sorry, but it sound as laughable as when USA are say they are threaten by a cigar-maker.
Understand me well: I am NOT saying that Finland (Cuba) did not became a thread, I am saying that Finland just as Cuba *had* (were forced) to conclude an alliance with the devil, because *they* had more to fear from their big neighbors.

I am really sorry, but I do not see 1 reason for a small country all alone to threaten a big one.
When the ratio is big, the small country fights for its life, the big one fight for not being spit at.

Imagine:
Luxembourg poker-game toward France:
- Give me this-or-that or I allow China to install guns on my territory to bombard Metz.
France:
- Oh, this is a real potential threat for my population, so I will take pre-emptive action by invading/blocading Luxembourg.
Uhh?
And you ask me to believe that? To say that Luxembourg is a threat to France? I will much more believe that *if* Luxembourg ask the help of China, it is because *France* threat Luxembourg.

Great Finn conspiration against poor peacefull Ivan:
- First, let's build an unbreakable fortress
- then, let's call Hans and propose him to spit at Ivan
- great fun here and if Ivan gets angry, no problem, we are behind wall.
- We have really a great plan
Jezus, those Finns are really pure evil. And Father Stalin was right!!

Sorry Serb, but no, no, no.
Old January 30, 2002, 06:54   #259
Ironikinit
Prince

The nuclear missles that were in Cuba were a poor defense, given that it would've got everybody killed. Nearly did, too.
Old January 30, 2002, 10:45   #260
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dry

Sorry man, but no, no. No.
This Stalin speach is the speach of a paranoiac leader.
The so-called need to take pre-emptive action for some imaginary threat is pure paranoia.
Well in that case you should think that president Kennedy was the “paranoiac leader” too. He did the same thing during Caribbean crisis.
But I think that actions of Kennedy was actions of strategist but not actions of “paranoiac leader”.

Quote:
If I go in the street and grab some man, hold him fast, gag him and if someone ask me "why do you do that?", and my answer is "because he was about to hit me, and call his friends to help him in his evil deeds". If the people say that I am just a paranoiac, they will be right.
Of course their will be right, it’s actions of madman, no doubt. You know why? Because you know nothing about that man who you wanted to grab. If you was absolutely sure that this man is danger for you then your actions will be different.
If you prefer so poetic examples, so I can get another one. Imagine: you are walking at night time in very dangerous district. You see a man who started to taking out his gun, you see also friends of this man who standing behind this man and saying to him what he have to do. First of all you tried to make an agreement with this man, you offer him money for his gun, but he rejected your offer. What will you do if you see that his next move will be to shoot in your head? Surrender? Try to run away? I think the actions of real man will be to punch or kick your opponent, real man will try to defend yourself, he will not be standing in waiting before it will be late.

Quote:
This logic is unfortunately a too common logic that you will find today. Look at almost all hot points in the world of today and you will find paranoiac leaders, taking some kind of "pre-emptive action" and justifying them by "what happen now show that we were right".
Sorry, I don’t see your point. Are you talking about NATO’s aggression against Yugoslavia? This actions has absolutely different reasons, I can explain it as I see it, if you wish.
Quote:
I can perfectly well imagine the Finnish government of that time, concerned by they big neighbour and its unpredictable leader, that *they*, rightfully, take some pre-emptive action like conclude an alliance/mpp with another "powerfull" country - even with the devil if their survivance is in the balance.
You’ll never convince me that agreement with Devil is right.
Quote:
When SU say that they are threaten by a small country like Finland, sorry, but it sound as laughable as when USA are say they are threaten by a cigar-maker.
I am really sorry, but I do not see 1 reason for a small country all alone to threaten a big one.
Agreed. Small country trying to threaten the big one at less is silly. But I’ve never said that Soviet Union was threaten by Finland. I’ve said that Stalin thought that Hitler may use Finland as bridgehead for attack on Soviet Union. And actually Hitler did it! Hitler threat us in Finland just like soviets threaten USA in Cuba.
Quote:
Imagine:
Luxembourg poker-game toward France:
- Give me this-or-that or I allow China to install guns on my territory to bombard Metz.
France:
- Oh, this is a real potential threat for my population, so I will take pre-emptive action by invading/blocading Luxembourg.
Uhh?
I think at this case France will make serious pre-emptive actions.
Quote:
And you ask me to believe that? To say that Luxembourg is a threat to France? I will much more believe that *if* Luxembourg ask the help of China, it is because *France* threat Luxembourg
Give my 1 reason for occupaton of Finland. Do you know that GB almost declared war against SU because of the events in Finland? Tell me why you think that Stalin wanted to occupy Finland?

Quote:
Great Finn conspiration against poor peacefull Ivan:
- First, let's build an unbreakable fortress
- then, let's call Hans and propose him to spit at Ivan
- great fun here and if Ivan gets angry, no problem, we are behind wall.
- We have really a great plan
Jezus, those Finns are really pure evil. And Father Stalin was right!!
I’ve never said that we were peaceful or that Finn’s were evil. Actually I respect Finn’s bravery, but respect bravery of our soldiers too. This war was the prologue before the major war, war with Hitler’s Germany. And you misplaced few lines in your thread. It should be:
-The Han comes who proposed to destroy Ivan
-He order to build an unbreakable fortress, and friends of this Han helped to build this fortress.
-But Ivan saw the conspiracy and destroyed this fortress before it was too late for him.

P.S. You can call Stalin a paranoiac leader, you can call him a madman, you can call him anyhow. I am not fan of this bustard. My grand grandfather- colonel of Red army, and his wife- my grand grandmother were killed during Stalin’s purges. But thinking that Stalin was not politician is big mistake.
P.S.S. All I wanted to said in my previous post is that “fiasco” is not the proper word for description of results of this war for Soviet union.

Last edited by Serb; February 2, 2002 at 18:19.
Old January 30, 2002, 11:59   #261
jasev
staff

Quote:
Then tell why at this case Truman dropped the bombs?
Don't laugh at me, you know it perfectly: it was cheaper. Japan was already defeated (and the allies would have won the war anyway), but launching bombs saved a lot of american (and russian) lives. Actually, the japanese lives weren't important.

Quote:
actually he tacked them back.
Hey, Dolphin! I'm not the only one who has problems with irregular verbs!
take --- took --- taken

Quote:
Do you see any logic in that?
It was just American propaganda. Everybody knows that fact that Truman informed Stalin that bombs were dropped. And I wish to repeat that SU had to declare war vs Japan because it was part of agreement between SU, USA and GB.
Actually, I see a lot of logic. But as I wrote, I don't know if it was true or false. Just a theory. I'll look for the book anyway.

Quote:
Do you know about that fact that many soviet soldiers were killed at this war fighting against regime of general Franco?
Of course. By the way, my grandfathers were officers of Franco's army.

Quote:
We fought on your side at 1936-1939. How about little gratitude for that?
Of course, a lot of gratitude for that. Really. The SU was the only country that helped the spanish democracy to fight against fascism, while british and french ignored us. But that's not the subject.

The subject is that you wrote:

Quote:
Well, in this case I’m gone surprise you; Soviet Union declares war on Japan before the bombs were dropped. As you might know bombs were dropped at August 6 and August 9. Never ask yourself why in this case Japan surrender in September than?
I already answered that on my last post.

Quote:
Red army took big part in defeat of Japan
And I can't believe you're talking seriously.
Old January 30, 2002, 12:25   #262
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 17:49
The bombs were not dropped to save lives. The were dropped for two reasons. Scare the Russians and make is easier to deal with over Euprope. And the other was to make sure that Japan. Who already wanted to surrender, would do so with out any condisions
Old January 30, 2002, 12:37   #263
Dry
Prince

Quote:
Well in that case you should think that president Kennedy was the “paranoiac leader” too. He did the same thing during Caribbean crisis.
No, once again, you start the story too late. The story of Cuba start when Castro threw away the Westerns from the island. At that time - sorry, I am no US president specialist - the US president went crazy angry of being kicked out from some slave country, and to legimimate the actions against it, they showed Castro as pure evil (he was a commy!!).
Castro, whose first goal was independence of the isle -communism was only a tool, not a goal -, could not get help from any democratic country, so he turned to the only competitors of the US: the Soviets.
By stupidly scaring/blocading Castro, the US pushed him in the arms of the Soviets.
At the beginning, I think there was only a "US go home" will, as it happened most western europe. US were just 'bad losers' in that land. The more they bugged him, the more he get close to Moscow. I deeply think that Catro is a US creation... more by stupidity and stubborness than by some 'Great Satanic US Evilness'.
At the time of the crisis, things were already too late.

Quote:
You see a man who started to taking out his gun, you see also friends of this man who standing behind this man and saying to him what he have to do.
I am not speaking of 1 man vs 1 man - like France against Germany, WW1 - I am speaking about 1 single man against 20. I am speaking about a man drawing with shaking hands a plastic butter knife against a gang of 15 men. Yes, he drew first, so the 15 are in self-defense, well, that's a point of view.

Quote:
Sorry, I don’t see your point. Are you talking about NATO’s aggression against Yugoslavia?
I was more speaking about Sharon. Remember, I am not speaking about people, I am speaking about leaders!!

Quote:
You’ll never convince me that agreement with Devil is right.
I was trying to quote Churchill:

extract of http://rwebs.net/dispatch/output.asp?ArticleID=56
In the early morning hours of June 22, 1941, German forces invaded the Soviet Union, and suddenly, Churchill and other Allied leaders found themselves with a new ally against
Hitler – Communist dictator Joseph Stalin. The night before, with intelligence reports forecasting the German move against Russia, Churchill was asked by his personal secretary how he would reply to the attack in Parliament, should it come. The Prime Minister, an arch anti-Communist and longtime opponent of Stalin, calmly replied "I have only one purpose, the destruction of Hitler, and my life is much simplified thereby. If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons."

Quote:
I’ve said that Stalin thought that Hitler may use Finland as bridgehead for attack on Soviet Union.
And I ask myself "why the Finns/Cubans/Belgians allowed the German/Soviets/Allied to do that, if it is not because they felt threaten?" You said it is not because "they were evil". Why then?

Quote:
Tell me why you think that Stalin wanted to occupy Finland?
Either because, as you said, it was part of SU before, or (my theory) as many countries in this time, he thought he needed some buffer land between him and his ennemies, something that in the middle age was called a 'march'.

Quote:
P.S. You can call Stalin a paranoiac leader, you can call him a madman, you can call him anyhow. I am not fan of this bustard. My grandfather- colonel of Red army, and his wife- my grandmother were killed during Stalin’s purges. But thinking that Stalin was not strategist is big mistake.
No, I don't agree. he was a great politician. And unlike Hitler, he was smart enough to stay behind, and let Zhukov lead, when the things went really bad. Zhukov saved the ass of Moscow, not Stalin.
Quote:
P.S.S. All I wanted to said in my previous post is that “fiasco” is not the proper word for description of results of this war for Soviet union.
Beside the fact that I don't agree on that point - but that's democracy: we disagree, but remain friendly -, my point was that in the case of Finland, I just don't believe in the righteous self-defense theory.
Old January 30, 2002, 18:22   #264
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:49
Quote:
Hey, Dolphin! I'm not the only one who has problems with irregular verbs!
take --- took --- taken
Reading Serb's text with a Russian accent makes it understandable.

I though its worth pointing out a single point of refinement on one error that you may find useful. Ironically, if you had made several grammar errors I would have let it go.
Old January 31, 2002, 10:04   #265
datakodin
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:49
Quote:
Privet zemliak.
I tebe zdorovo Ya sam rodom iz Sibiri

Really, take it easy. When they say something like Stop your co-operation with Iran or send their spies in our cities - this shoud be unacceptable for you, me and all of us. But when anybody is trying to re-write world history, just wish him/her good luck. May be he/she will win the idiot of the year title

Regards.
Old January 31, 2002, 12:27   #266
Dry
Prince

Ok, yesterday evening I checked in my history dictionnary (*) and here is what I found.
What you said Serb about the SU position, the dictionnary confirm it at 80%. SU was indeed concerned by the possibility for the Germans to attack through Finland, but - and here are the 20% that confused me - not, because of some Finn free collaboration, but because of their supposed unability to maintain their neutrality against German pressions. And *indeed*, after they had been attacked by the SU, it was easy for the Germans to ask for a right of passage. How could Finland refuse that to someone promissing them to get their territory back?
Finns *refused* to go further when they got back their territory in 41. Not one Finn shot a single bullet against Leningrad!!! The only Russian territory they took, was some seemingly contested Carelian territory just as contested territories exists all over the world.

So indeed, SU proposed, not even to buy territory, but to rent some for 30 years or to exchange some others. It may looks like a nice proposal, coming from a nice guy, but...

About the Finn position.
The problem was that Finland got independence from Russia (or SU most probably... don't know) in 1918... just like the baltic states, and that the territories asked by the SU were
- small islands in the gulf of Finland to allow SU ships to sail out. No big deal, could be agreed
- land access to Petsamo and the nickel mines, strategic for SU, including against a potential naval blocade from GB. Could be agreed.
- 70 km band in east-Carelie, nearing the SU border from the Finn city of Viborg.
This last one, from SU vision was - maybe - indeed to get some room for Leningrad, but at the Finn eyes, it was at the expense of room for Viborg. And the Finns saw what happened to the baltic states. They didn't want it to happen to Finland. In their mind, this nearing of the border, was only to facilitate SU taking back of Finland. They were indeed fighting for their independence, not for the Germans.

(*) Serb, as I know, you like to know "What kind of historian said that?", I just want to say it is a french Larousse WW2 historical dictionnary. Larousse has a good reputation of objectiveness. He always try to present both versions of a fact. Just some say the owners of the company have right tendencies and you may feel it. So, being french, he may sometimes have pro-russians tendencies, being owned by right thinking persons, he may sometimes have on some anti-soviets tendencies.
Old January 31, 2002, 15:31   #267
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 13:49
A couple of quick thoughts:

I think we all should keep in mind that just about every action taken by either the USA or USSR during the cold war must be viewed through the prism of the cold war. In other words, both countries were attempting to best the other, not in direct battle, but through proxies. Cuba is an example of a country used by the USSR as a check against the USA (just imagine if we had managed to get say.... Finland to install Minuteman missles pointed at Moscow).

As for how Cuba and the USA became estranged... it all goes back to the fall of Batista (not a real nice guy, if memory serves, but pro-American, particularly American business) and rise of Castro. I agree that Castro turned to the USSR in order to protect himself from the USA... without Soviet protection, it is entirely possible that we would have just launched a full invastion of Cuba.

Afganistan (during the 1980s) is a perfect example of a proxy for the USA. Afganistan did not ask for our assistance because they really wanted to become a satelitte state, but because they were being invaded by the Red Army, and were willing to do just about anything to get money and weapons...and my government was all too happy to give the USSR a bloody nose.

Dry - GREAT Churchill quote. I remember that one.

Serb - Sorry, but I think your claim that the Red Army played a "major" role in Japan's defeat in WWII is an exaggeration. There were really two countries who played major roles: the U.S. and China. Honorary mention to the Brits, for the battles in Burma.

Further, why is it hard to believe that Stalin attacked Finland to create a buffer zone? The alliance between Stalin and Hitler, which resulted in the conquest and division of Poland, had its roots in Stalin's desire to acquire land to his west as a buffer. After WWII, Eastern Europe (those countries behind the "iron curtain" as Churchill put it) were buffer states vs. Nato. The one country that attempted to remove itself from that role (Hungary) found out what Red Army Tanks look like up close. I'd say Stalin had a thing for buffer zones.

Peace, y'all

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 1, 2002, 06:33   #268
TacticalGrace
Prince

Why is everyone using SU as an abbreviation for the Soviet Union when there is a perfectly good and official abbreviation...

USSR

... or CCCP if you are that way inclined.
Old February 1, 2002, 06:43   #269
Dry
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TacticalGrace
Why is everyone using SU as an abbreviation for the Soviet Union when there is a perfectly good and official abbreviation...

USSR

... or CCCP if you are that way inclined.
SU: 2 letters
USSR: 4 letters

both uppercase. I hate to "hold the SHIFT key", so the fewest, the best.
Old February 1, 2002, 09:22   #270
Rosacrux
Warlord

Just a couple of thoughts on the - quite interesting - subject of this thread (not the original subject but the way the discussion has twisted):

- You can call Stalin paranoid (probably he was) dictator (he was) homicidal maniac (for sure) but he most certainly was a great politician. NOT a great strategist, though: His strategical moves were flawed to the point of suicide. He was an amateur military commander and as such at best he was inadequate.

- The drop of the A-bombs served a range of purposes. Some of them: Scare off Stalin ("look, we got the bomb! Don't advance beyond the Yalta agreement borders or you'll taste it yourself") save time/money/lives that would take to actually conquer Japan, not to have to "share" Japan and it's colonies with USSR, the impact on the world opinion ("we got the A-bomb, we are strong, we are here to guarantee the peace worldwide") and a number of others. Any attempt to leave one of those purposes out, condemns the analysis of Truman's true motivations and renders it inadequate.

- Finnland. A small country, with some bonds between their population and the Germans (they and Norvegian and Dutch and also the Croatians the Khazaks and the people of the Baltic states were at most "pro German" historically) and a huge, very strong country (USSR) at it's borders. It's silly to think that they wouldn't turn for help to the Germans, since Brits and Franks turned their heads and whistled when they were asked to help during the first invasion by USSR.

- Cuba. Well, despite what is thought generally, Cuba would be at great terms with USA if the American corporations that lost money when Castro nationalized everything, didn't push the administration to take drastic measures "against the commies".
Despite the rhetoric, Castro's movement was preliminary nationalistic (and then communist) so USA could make Cuba a valuable ally. Instead, it enemized it from day 1 till now. Stupid corporate international politics.