Old December 1, 2001, 22:27   #1
Bandit65
Settler

Local Time: 09:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The way people Post Subject Lines
I belong to many 'bulletin board' web sites, like this here one.

Boards for gamers, for humor, and just for sharing technical info, and stuff.

I post occasionally, and read a lot, but in all of them, time and time again, I see many people who post a thread with the subject line something like this:

HELP ME!

or

I NEED HELP

or

Just a question here

or

Can you help me!!!

I usually just roll right over these posts, because I have no idea what's inside, and if I can help, or if any replies will help me.

It just does not grab my attention, and it actually repels me.

Now, of course, I am an old guy, and I went to college, and got good grades in high school, and I am kinda anal retentive. But I appreciate creativity, humor, cleverness, and helpfulness. And if I can, I like to help out the folks who have genuine problems.

I don't think I have ever corrected someone's spelling, or grammer, even if they are from the US, and never ever a 'foreigner' (If there is such a thing on the internet)

But hey, could you even think about creating a subject line that describes what's inside? Do you think that by being obtuse, and genereal, that it will attract people inside, instead of being specific? Do you think fewer people will read your thread, and fewer people will post help if you are clear and concise in your subject header?

Don't you realize that the search function on most sites like this look at the subject line for matching criteria?

Or is it that you just don't care?

Just some thoughts...

Flame away
Old December 2, 2001, 11:51   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 12:51
Why flame? Sounds reasonable to me.
Old December 2, 2001, 12:00   #3
Purple
Prince

People who post with uninformative subject lines are not stupid or perverse, just ignorant. They don't know that they'll get a better response from a well thought-out subject line. The same people will send emails the same way--sometimes even without a subject!

A periodic reminder like yours should help rectify the situation for a while, although I think most of the posters on this forum are fairly well clued in.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2001, 22:55   #4
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 13:51
Or heres a REAL RESPONSE, GET OVER IT if you dont like people posting ........

"Help Please"

"Question concerning.."

"How do you ..."

"Can someone straighten me out?"

Big deal if someone puts it that way, I would, Im a country boy, 42 years old, quite well established in my business career sucessful in my field, this DOESNT Mean I am ignorant , nor stupid nor less eloquant than someone else.

If you are too stuck up, too ANAL RETENTIVE, too good to stop and read a post from someone whom needs help/assistance, then DONT, but why attack folks whom post that way?

I guess I'm reading that EVERYONE needs to do it your way, or not at all?

Heres an opinion:

FRICK YOU if you dont like it, and BTW, Have a great evening!

Yours In Civin

Troll
Grandpa Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2001, 08:00   #5
Libertarian
King

But what about his point, Troll? How can people find help by searching when the thread titles don't give any useful clues? I don't think it's anal to try to help people. He's not saying they're uneloquent. He's saying they're hurting themselves and others.

He's right.
Old December 3, 2001, 19:15   #6
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
But what about his point, Troll? How can people find help by searching when the thread titles don't give any useful clues? I don't think it's anal to try to help people. He's not saying they're uneloquent. He's saying they're hurting themselves and others.

He's right.
So he's right and anyone whom posts is wrong if they dont give a dissertation on the point they need assisitance with?

Well, hes got a point and that makes it his opinion and folks whom post CONTRARY to his style and directives are also correct and have that right..INSPITE of what he says!

I am just defending the right fo folks to post how they want and where they want IF its not hurting someone personally.

Here's a thought..PERHAPS one could OPEN the thread to further assist the person with the question, or is ONE additional step too hard for a really INTELLIGENT person to do?

Just asking?

Yours in Civin

Troll
Old December 3, 2001, 19:24   #7
Libertarian
King

Oh, sure. I don't deny your point either. I don't think yours and his are necessarily mutually exclusive. For example, while it would be well within the privileges granted by the site owners for someone to title his thread "Scrambled Eggs in Bangkok" to get help with a video problem, it is equally well within reason that he might get no help and that no one who searches the boards for the same problem will turn up his thread.
Old December 3, 2001, 19:26   #8
Bandit65
Settler

Local Time: 09:51
Well well troll,

I also see, on many many boards, folks like you, who read something into everything. Very subjective of you.

Now, in my opinion, I simply posted a statement, and some of my thoughts, and maybe a simple question or two. From my point of view, maybe I was venting a little, maybe I was fishing for some kind of support. Well, support isn't really a good word, I was perhaps trying to see if anyone else felt like I do.

It is a common thing on many of the boards, and on the internet in general, people looking for like minds...

But as is the case with many many people, on many many boards, and chat rooms, someone, somewhere, ALWAYS reads something into it...

You seem to be either projecting some kind of anger onto my post, or reading some kind of smart assed flame towards the kind of poster I was trying to describe.

You must think that everyone is sarcastic, and filled with inuendo, and double meanings. You fail to see the simplicity of my post, and choose not to just read it, and move on, but to project some kind of flame and hatred towards me, defending a very very large group of internet users who are either a) unexperienced in Bulletin Boards, or b) just out to have fun, and carefree about efficiency.

I work with some of these carefree folks, we post newsletters, and FAQs on bulletin boards (Both digital, and real cork boards) and these 'carefree' individuals never ever read them, so they never ever know what is going on, and always ask questions that are answered somewhere else.

Their response?

"Why should I read something, when I can just ask you, and you'll answer it for me?"

And in many cases they are right. nine out of ten times, they'll either get a RTFM reply, but once in a while, some gracious kind individual will patiently answer their question, calmly, and efficiently.

Now you must either be one of these kind folks, or you have been one in the past, and you seem to have some animosity about it, because you read into my post some kind of dig, or disrespect towards both the posters, and those who help them.

I am sorry you read that, for I was simply making a point.

I guess sometimes when fishing, you are bound to pull up a stinky old mud filled boot, even when it is not your intended prey.

So be it, Troll, I will gladly, in this anonymous environment, be your pin-cushion. poke away, troll, vent on me. Get it all out.

And you have a good evening, flush with the self-assued knowledge that you trampled an evil internet user, who likes to spank newbs, and belittle those who are not as smart. Project whatever you want onto me, read into what I say, whatever interpretations that make you feel good.

But please, please, don't ever engage in any kind of respectful, coherent conversation. Beware the Back and Forth of educated debate! Live in sarcasm, and witty barbs! Use your last breath to spit at me!

Let slip the dogs of war!!!!!

Old November 14, 2004, 13:52   #9
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Wow I reckon must have not take my geritol this evening

Ok

I just was looking for an older thread and found one..

so please forgive me

My med keep me preety quiet these days...

Gramps
Old November 15, 2004, 10:15   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 14:51
It's an old thread!
Old November 15, 2004, 11:07   #11
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
It's an old thread!
Like I stated above I was looking for an older thread with some information and found this, felt I may have been too..harsh and felt I would correct meself..but you are correct it is an Troll..er..um.. "OLD" Thread

Gramps
Old November 15, 2004, 11:17   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:51
Wow, you scared me there for a sec, what with Libertarian in it and all.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2004, 22:10   #13
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

the internet in a microcasm.
Old November 20, 2004, 22:18   #14
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote: