Old December 2, 2001, 16:44   #1
Elowan
Warlord

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The unsinkable Greeks
I have a fresh saved game (saved at 4000 BC) that I replay time and again as I learn the nuances and try various tactics, etc.

It's a Huge World with 5 opponents. I'm the Americans and I'm on the southern end of a large continent with iron resources way north.

I know that sooner or later the Greeks will drop a colony up north so I have to get there first.

On the first instance of this game - I went for the iron with several settlers, warriors, workers, horsemen only to find that after I had established 2 cities the Greeks showed up.

OK. So what?

Now the rest of the story.

Their galley always shows up in the same place. Aha! Narrow stretch of water there! So in one game I rush build a galley and shoot up the coast to that spot.

No one has the Lighthouse yet, though I'm close. I try to cross there. Bzzzt! You are the weakest link!

Hmmm. Perhaps I didn't try the correct direction. Bzzzt! Perhaps I'm off a square. Bzzzt! Here? Bzzzt! ? Bzzzt! Nada. Can't be done.

But hark! What apparition looms through the lowering fog? 'Tis a galley! A Greek galley! They have crossed the abyss without harm! Gadzooks! Verily they are invincible and we should submit now!

I knew that the AI cheated but at Warlord?

Balls! Give me a break!

Old December 2, 2001, 16:48   #2
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Officially, I think it was said that AI didn't cheated before one level after Regent. Regent was the level where absolutely no cheat was done... Boy, did Firaxis (voluntarily??) lied to us?!?!
Old December 2, 2001, 18:52   #3
Sevorak
Warlord

Local Time: 17:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Upload the save.

Every time the AI has been accused of cheating in any way other than a production bonus at higher difficulty levels, it's been disproved. Post a save and screenshots.

-Sev

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the "see-entire-map-and-all-units-on-it" thing, too, but that's not really cheating that much.