Old December 3, 2001, 15:40   #61
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Venger
If you know some good programmer guys looking for a vision, have them contact me...
Ok...me
Programming is my specialty, but the problem is programmers do not get paid enough so thats why I'm manager at an ISP.
Old December 3, 2001, 15:45   #62
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 12:53
Quote:
Regardless, if your point is that they haven't had 5 years to come up with something better, I was NEVER commissioned to do Civ3, and still had the gravitas to find a better way...
Zat right? Perhaps not everyone thinks your way is better, eh?

If you succeed in producing your vision, you'd be wise to brace yourself for a kharmic tsunami.
Old December 5, 2001, 00:22   #63
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 10:53
Quote:

If I had a spare bag I'd offer it to you for your head.

No need to, Civ3 will do nowhere near as well as Civ2 did, and the proof of the pudding will be in that...

Are we making you soil your cotton lined panties? What a sissy. Tell you what, if you have someone nearby who isn't a hapless lobotomite, ask them to point to the threads not started by me or Yin, and you can then SKIP THEM. I am tired of hearing you whine like a jackass whenever someone happens to dislike something in the game. Hey jerkweed, I BOUGHT the game, and have as much a right to point out what I find wrong with it as you have to say what you find right. Except you don't do that, rather you whine and drizzle pee down your leg like a frightened dog whenever anybody has a critique of Civ3.

I have, in very many places. I started a Venger game notes thread, where my first couple days of playing notes were. Included in my positive notes were thumbs up for bombardment, assimilation, resistance, opportunity fire, no free tech on city capture, etc. etc. But you wouldn't know about that, because you simply focus on your feebleminded quest to be the person who can bend over the farthest in defense of this game.

So why do you post, are you interested in receiving the "prison bi+ch" of the week award from Firaxis, given for the person who most blindingly overlooks any complaint or issue with the game and attacks like a neutered gerbil anyone who dares say that Civ3 isn't wearing any clothes? Posting countless threads about it won't change it!

Venger
How easy it is to get under someone's skin.

I'll be watching to see if you can make a point with out profanities or insults the next time someone disagrees with you. My bet is no.
Old December 5, 2001, 04:24   #64
Nadexander
Warlord

Local Time: 09:53
Play on a small map with 16 civs. If you only have to tediously micromanage 5-8 cities it can be a really enjoyable experience. For the first half of the game anyways. Plus on the higher map sizes the wait on the AI turns gives you enough time to learn a forign language. Btakalam 'Arabi? Hablas Espa~nol?
Old December 5, 2001, 04:40   #65
Nadexander
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Have you ever been on the other side of a customer complaint? If someone approaches you with genuine civility and charm, you'll go out of your way to help them.
PR is for people who havent given you money yet. Supporting people who have already paid is almost purely a drain of resources. Actually a companies purpose with customer complaint (especially in the software business) is to give the customer the bare minimum reason not to return the product. This almost always comes in the form of a total snow job (look at the LE scandal) or a vague promise of future fixes. In fact, since 99% most of the hardcore gamers arent going to be returning their product, its understandably that they should completely ignore us. Most of the sales are gonna be of the casual type esp. around christmas. Just face the fact that we are guinea pigs for a much bigger cash cow (the mass market). Once the expansion pack comes around and the apolytoners are once again "useful" we'll see how much more "genuine civility and charm" we get out of them. Remember how many firaxian posts we had here the week before and the week of release (when pretty much all of us were preordering/buying) Where are they now?
Old December 5, 2001, 06:34   #66
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 18:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Ludwig
I also think an alternative would be to base the bonuses you receive on the number of cities connected in a single road/railroad network. This would mean that no further benefit would accrue to road or railroad construction, once all your cities were linked - unless you were building redundancy to survive bombing during a war, or were building a "short-cut" between cities that were already connected by a more circuitous route, etc. In other words, you wouldn't have railroads on every square, they'd just be where they made sense.

And the maps wouldn't be so blasted ugly looking.
In fact, that's exactly the way that Master of Magic is working : you get a trade bonus for each city depending on how many cities each of them are linked.
MoM has a better way to deal with the support of units (food, gold and mana, each unit having its own cost) and a way to represent the food production growth, allowing people to do something else than raise crops(farmer and workers).
Old December 5, 2001, 07:53   #67
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 18:53
I'll add my personal POV on some of the matters raised here, just for the heck of it.

I was captivated by the gameplay in my last game... played into the early morning hours -which is extremely rare for me. During the ancient and medieval ages I maintained a spiffy balance between growth, taming neighbours and managing diplomatic relations/tech tree stuff etc etc.
At a certain point I got into the industrial era. The Russians had wiped 2 neighbours and were too strong for my taste. I decided they needed removal. I began making an army. 40 tanks. 20 artillery. I attacked.
With great success. A few cities I kept, all others I simply razed (= solution to having too many cities to hold btw). In a few turns (about 6) I have reduced their vast reign to about 1/4 of it's original size. I just took Moscow.

But something else happened too.

I am at this point not only moving about 50 military units (still some 30 tanks and 25 artillery (captured catapults LOL), but also a HORDE of foreign workers. I needed them to upgrade my whole empire's land. I am almost done. But it isn't fun to move close to a 100 or so (hell I don't know HOW many) workers. The game becomes a bit tedious, yes.

So I complain about this? No. I will simply disband all these little foreign men for a meager 2 shields. End of tedium. Bonus for rushing the temples etc for my new and captured cities. I would even maintain that although you do indeed tend to capture a LOT of workers, they do not unbalance too much: they are vulnerable, they are slow and they deliver just 2 shields when disbanded. Adding to cities is worthless too -they are foreign and will cause revolt.

So far for the number of units/cities point. So the AI has obsolete units. Yes. But is this a severe issue? No. Threaten them and they will no longer build those spearmen. They will have nice infantry waiting.

Last issues I'll address: the tech tree and the building of obsolete units in your own cities - these are somewhat valid points in my eyes. Destroyers and AEGIS are pretty useless indeed. Obsolete units clutter the build menu. There are indeed many iffy things about the tech tree. Seems as if one always rushes through and gets modern units very quickly after the small period of Knights-pikemen deadlocking. And what does radio do? Nothing but fill. There can be some of these fillers, but I agree that there seem to be a few techs that "give all" and suffice to dominate that era.
Old December 5, 2001, 08:09   #68
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 17:53
Quote:
You'd think with the leftist
environmentalist tilt of the latest Sid games that they'd not require me to cut down every bit of
forest in order to build my empire
When in doubt, blame it on the liberals eh? Tedious, but predictable. Remember Venger--the Reds aren't hiding under your bed. Honest.

Venger, take your medication. Watch your vintage GOP convention tapes. And just...relax, man. Consider smoking a joint. That always helps.
Old December 5, 2001, 08:29   #69
IncreduloDriver
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Legacy
I am at this point not only moving about 50 military units (still some 30 tanks and 25 artillery (captured catapults LOL), but also a HORDE of foreign workers. I needed them to upgrade my whole empire's land. I am almost done. But it isn't fun to move close to a 100 or so (hell I don't know HOW many) workers. The game becomes a bit tedious, yes.

So I complain about this? No. I will simply disband all these little foreign men for a meager 2 shields. End of tedium.
I do the same thing for the same reason. I would not, however, if the tedium level weren't set to max. There's something wrong if you have to design a poor interface in order to balance the game.

Quote:
And what does radio do? Nothing but fill. There can be some of these fillers, but I agree that there seem to be a few techs that "give all" and suffice to dominate that era.
My thoughts exactly.

...don't you hate pants?
Old December 5, 2001, 08:36   #70
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 17:53
I find another use for foreign workers--integrate (build) them into your cities and then draft them as troops. Very nice.
Old December 5, 2001, 20:58   #71
gaikokujin
Chieftain

Quote:

..rather you whine and drizzle pee down your leg like a frightened dog whenever anybody has a critique of Civ3.

and attacks like a neutered gerbil anyone who dares say that Civ3 isn't wearing any clothes?

Venger
LOL! Scorn with color, that'll teach'em to **** with the bull. I mean, I'm enjoying fishing for the critics' threads more than playing the game! Keep them coming!
Old December 5, 2001, 21:45   #72
morb
Chieftain

but look on the bright side everyone. after the patch we won't have to put up with the incessent whining about grammar and spelling/typo errors throughout the game! but not only that, those annoyances won't bother the rest of us anymore either.

line after line in the patch text is a discription of some text/type error fix, change or addition. as far as i'm concerned, they could have simply said something like "bunch of grammar/typographical errors fixed" all in one line. But then again, that would reduce the patch readme to 1/9th the size and show how little has actually really been addressed. we can't have that.
Old December 5, 2001, 22:24   #73
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
Why don't you get your own identity instead of stealing Yin's negativist bag. One Yin is enough. Better yet form your own site (Anti-Civ3 site) and the both of you can post all day long. This is all getting tiring man. I'm getting tired of seening Yin and your boring, broken record, negative thinking threads continually appearing.
At least give it a rest and post about something you like about the game. And anyway, the game is the way it is. Posting countless threads about it won't change it!

Count me in. I think that saying again and again the same damn thing why it's a pain isn't a good thing, but finding new things about it is useful. Useful to know WHAT is really wrong. Maybe it will get better with patches. Civ III is, I think the best of all Civ games, but only when it will be fixed. For now, it has too many problems.