Old December 4, 2001, 10:07   #31
Phalanx2000
Settler

Local Time: 17:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

i am still waiting to witness such an event. perhaps you 'saw' this at 5 a.m., when your eyes were really tired from playing a broken game?
There is nothing wrong with my eyes nor my wife's eyes, nor any of my kids eyes. We have all seen the same thing. If you bothered to READ my post it says I have seen this on MULTIPLE machines. That includes pcs that are outside my LAN as well. You aren't talking to an amatuer here.

I agree the game is broken.
Old December 4, 2001, 10:21   #32
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx2000

There is nothing wrong with my eyes nor my wife's eyes, nor any of my kids eyes. We have all seen the same thing. If you bothered to READ my post it says I have seen this on MULTIPLE machines. That includes pcs that are outside my LAN as well. You aren't talking to an amatuer here.

I agree the game is broken.
well you can agree that with your kids and wife. i said that sarcastically
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 4, 2001, 10:22   #33
LaRusso
King

sorry, could not help but i just pictured your whole family 'witnessing' the unbelievable war misfortunes unfolding before them.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 4, 2001, 11:10   #34
Phalanx2000
Settler

Yeah it'll be funny once I get past the fact I spent $$ on this and it is patched to my satisfaction.

We do get like that at home tho...

You shoulda seen us all playing Diablo II, yelling and screaming, etc.
Old December 4, 2001, 11:19   #35
LaRusso
King

cmon, 50 bucks is nothing for you, guys....

and really really really...i have yet to experience such a battle outcome. i keep reading about it over and over (from venger et al.) but i never saw it. it gets bloody, i lose units, but always in situations that i am aware of such possibility.

my tanks roll over longbowmen, their cavalry dies under my tanks, fortified infantry does what it should.

the only imbalances i found were ironclads and submarines. everything else is pretty much ok
Old December 4, 2001, 12:06   #36
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx2000
You cannot invoke any realistic argument here. If each icon represented a single, 4-man fireteam or if each icon represented a full army of 10,000 men, the regular warriors would lose 98 times out of 100 to my veteran musketmen.
Well, plenty of people have given historical examples of how "primitive" (read: ill-equipped) warriors have beaten a technologically superior force. The Zulus, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Ewoks, and various parts of WW1 and WW2 come to mind. The disparity isn't always as large as your case, of course.
(And, as others have mentioned, the victory doesn't always have to be a direct one. A group of swordsmen fighting tanks could beat them by cutting off their ammo/fuel supply. Or lodging stuff in the road wheels, throwing off a track. Or getting on top and forcing the hatch open/throwing stuff through the slits (not on modern tanks). Not likely, but possible.)

But your main complaint seems to be with the random number generator. You said that the warriors should lose 98 times out of 100. I'll agree with you, and from what I've seen they WILL lose 98% of the time or more.

What many people don't realize is, when that other 2% happens, there's not something wrong with the game. Count up how many total battles you had in that entire game. Did unusual things happen in more than one out of every 50? (Then, realize that these fluke battles won't be evenly distributed; in one game they might only happen to the AI players and in another you get most of them.)

If you want to reduce the chance of this sort of statistical fluke, you'd want to increase HP. For example, 30 Regular, 40 Veteran, 50 Elite would pretty much make it impossible for an upset to happen, which would reduce the game to a simple strategy ("well, I've got an attack of 6, he's got a defense of 4, so I'll still have 33% of my HP left after the fight"). Even doubling the HP would almost eliminate the big upsets.
Old December 4, 2001, 12:16   #37
rid102
Warlord

Quote:
cmon, 50 bucks is nothing for you, guys....

Hey cool, can everyone donate 50 bucks to me then??

Old December 4, 2001, 12:18   #38
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rid102

Hey cool, can everyone donate 50 bucks to me then??

well, yanks, cmon, fork it out. help uk consumer confidence
Old December 6, 2001, 16:15   #39
Allemand
Warlord

Aurochs, thanks for that info. Guess I should read the manual before I criticize the game again.

One thing's for sure, even if Civ2 has a few features that are better, Civ3 has made that game passe.