Old May 6, 2000, 05:14   #1
general_charles
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The missile system
I know that some of you will think that it is a copy of the nuclear threat thread, but it is not, I would just like to know the best way to manage missiles in civ3 so that the game represents a real life conflict.

First of all, there are nuclear weapons. We know that building nukes for the first time is really expensive, you have to build special factories that change the conventional Uranium into Plutonium or so on. But the second type of nuclear weapons, the thermonuclear ones (using fusion) are even much more expensive. This is why I suggest that missiles factories/silos have to be built in order to launch them. Maybe the civ that builds the Manhattan project could just have free factories in their cities.
But concerning how missiles are launched, I think that the system to pre-aim your missiles is very good, and once someone launches, you have the option to launch at them. Maybe there should be an option in the diplomacy screen where you ask your allies if they are willing to attack for example another block of allies or a country with no allies. If they agree, then an automatic nuclear strike will occur just as it was described in the nuclear threat thread.

But I think that cruise missiles are also very important, if you launch a cruise missile, you should be able either to choose a military, an industrial or a civilian one. This, with the use of HPs (see BATTLE thread), should be a very effective system, especially against small civs and when you want little casualties, but it could also be usefull, if you do not have the intention to launch your assault for some time, just to weaken enemy production.
The use of these missiles by bombers/fighters could also make them very effective, with longer range, etc. This could be especially true against naval targets, who have no way to hide and must therefore defend as well as they can against a missile that was launched several hundred miles away.
Old May 6, 2000, 14:34   #2
OrangeSfwr

I like your factory/Manhattan Project idea. B/c in Civ 2, what does the Manhattan project do for you anyway. It allows EVERYONE to produces Nukes if they have Nuclear Fission. I usually just wait 'till someone else builds it and I work on Apollo or something. Maybe instead of free factory - free silos.

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old May 7, 2000, 18:40   #3
Stuff2
Warlord

I think that the only effect the manhattan project should have is that it gives u the "nuclear warfare" advance and every other civ the possibility to research that advance if they have the preq. And maybe it should give u two nuclear missiles ready to be launched aswell.
Old May 7, 2000, 20:29   #4
OrangeSfwr

I like G.C.'s idea better simply because I think missle silos are likely to be in Civ 3 and with your idea, where would the missle come from? Weapons should be produced. Which city would they appear in? What if it's a city about to be captured? Get my drift?

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old May 8, 2000, 05:20   #5
general_charles
Chieftain

I think that Stuff meant that the missiles would be produced in the city that builds the project itself... But it is true that the Manhattan project produced 3 bombs (one of which was tested in Arizona and the other 2 dropped on Japan). But this is not the most important aspect of the Manhattan project , and the idea to give the opportunity for each civ to build missiles is just stupid, like I said, there are lots of things that need to be built before you can build missiles, this is why I suggested that there should be special factories built before you can actually build missiles (and these could be very expensive), maybe the Manhattan project would reduce the cost of the factories by half for the one that has it...