Old December 3, 2001, 21:15   #31
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 19:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
24. Read books ! Civ players are the smartest people on earth......... because they read that much
25. Browse Apolyton (that's what I'm doing right now emperor huge world 16 civs. it's 500 ad and the turns take already 7 minutes........ but hey, I'm leading......... and that's what counts. Besides that, I've muuuuch unread books, thus I need to play on huge maps to read them )
Old December 4, 2001, 00:09   #32
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 12:54
26. Exercise to drop some of that blubber forming around your middle from computing so much.

27. Say something to the wife/girlfriend/mom/cat to signify that you remember her.

28. Smoke a phat one.

29. Watch the news and see what a mess the un-CIV-ilized world is in.

30. Daydream about Civ CIV (Civ 104, due out sometime around 2506 AD, assuming an average of five years between each release) and what it will be like.
Old December 4, 2001, 03:43   #33
Christmann
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:54
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
24. Read books ! Civ players are the smartest people on earth.........
I thought that was EU players...
Always shall your honor and your name and your fame endure.
Old December 4, 2001, 04:39   #34
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Christmann

I thought that was EU players...
nah, they read spreadsheets instead of books
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 4, 2001, 04:57   #35
Nexus VI
Settler

Local Time: 18:54
Quote:
Originally posted by homegrown
22. Learn a foreign language.
Ok, I can help you out 'bout it.

"Lesson One" - How I learned Italian in Five Small Lessons

Let's start with the "to be" verb:

I am -> Io sono (yo so'no)
You are -> Tu sei (too say)
He is -> Egli e' (aegly eh)
She is -> Ella e' (aellah eh)
It is -> Esso e' (aesso eh)
We are -> Noi siamo (noy seeamo)
You are -> Voi siete (voy seeatae)
They are -> Essi sono (aessee so'no)

Old December 4, 2001, 17:22   #36
aznblader
Settler

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Darkknight
duh!
It's nothing like a 3D game. This is running to millions of operations a turn for the AI. Even a simple where do I want to move would take about 100 ops. Then there's the production and diplomacy. Don't forget it needs to read and write all these ops to RAM so it can look back at what it's just done. That calls for high-speed RAM and a lot of it. Even then it's still going to take a long time going through every unit and city and then starting over again for the next civ.
A 3D game is just a graphics engine with at most 50 units. It's all in a set path as well until an action ( like you walking within sight of an enemy) occurs. All you need for that is a decent gfx card.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaesar

Gosh, you really don't understand programming and computer systems do you?

The reason you can run Unreal smoothly is because of your video card. I don't even think you can run Unreal in software mode(cpu calculates the polygons).

The mechanisms causing the slowdowns in the two games are completely different. In unreal, it is the graphics. In civ3, it is the calculation of the AI moves. The computer has to figure out where to move its units, calculate culture, recalculate borders, figure assimulation, happiness, etc, etc. On a huge map, there is likely more than 300 cites and 2000 units. That in itself is quite a lot for the cpu to process.

In Unreal, the bottleneck is the calculation of the 3d graphics, which is all handled by a specialized graphics processor unit on your graphics card, that's why you can run your 60 fps.

If it's possible to show civ3 fps, you will see that there is no slow down at all. It is the game mechanics that takes a long time to calculate.
give me a break. i think i would know at least a little about computer science, given that i'm a 4th year computer science major. granted, the video card is doing all the work, but still you CAN run unreal in software mode using software d3d. on my system, it slows down to about 5 seconds/frame. in those five seconds, the CPU (alone!) does tens of thousands of matrix transformations, lighting calculations, 3d sound effects, on top of running the AI code for 8 players at a time, in addition to the uncountable other processes it takes to run a 3d game (deaths, weapons damage, physics trajectories etc etc).

"A 3D game is just a graphics engine with at most 50 units. It's all in a set path as well until an action ( like you walking within sight of an enemy) occurs. All you need for that is a decent gfx card."

Uhm. No. Every single frame requires the recalculation of up to half a million polygons, each of which needs a matrix transformation calculation to update for a new viewpoint. And that's just for the wireframes! On top of that, you have colored lighting, texture mapping, etc etc. And that's just for the display of the graphics. For the actual game, you have something like 8 AI players, each shooting and receiving damages, and you have to keep track of all of their health AND positions in 3d space, and calculate next moves, as well as PATHS IN 3D space.

"Even a simple where do I want to move would take about 100 ops."

Nuh uh. That's still no excuse. Especially considering that Civ3 movements consists of just a series of cells on a 2D map. Compare that to calculating a path with obstacles in abstracted (rather than cell based) 3d space, and doing all of that 8 times within less than 1/60th of a second.

Compared to this, Civ3 is beans. Again, I say sloppy coding.
Old December 4, 2001, 18:06   #37
Xenophon
Settler

31. Build the Pyramids in your back garden...

...by hand!
Old December 4, 2001, 18:24   #38
starshower
Settler

Local Time: 12:54
32. Study for finals
33. Attempt to create new and unique cocktails out of whatever alcohol you can find.
34. Nap (when you're playing at night/early early morning)
Old December 4, 2001, 18:39   #39
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
35. Reinstall that useless bundled copy of Windows ME
36. Try the game again in ME, not 2000
37. Scream for joy as you realize scrolling, open advisor screens and turns take 3-5 times faster than before. Ignore drivers or fiddling with your system - ME CAN solve a problem, for once.

Specs
P3 800
128 RAM
GeForce 2 MX 400
20GB HDD
Old December 4, 2001, 19:46   #40
ROO_DEE_POO_69
Settler

1. play with my 2 pitt bulls or three cats
2. smoke
3. get in a quickie with my woman
4. wach tv..... you can almost keep track of both
5. cook...
6. eat

ps how do u use other stuff on your puter .... i would love to be able to surf around while playing civ?????