Old April 29, 2000, 01:28   #1
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fight to the death
Right now, when combat occurs, it's always fight to the death: one side would be totally wiped out. Most of the time this is not the case. Usually an engagement ends when one side retreats. This is esp. true with units composed of many smaller entities (infantry, tank).
Old April 29, 2000, 23:23   #2
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 10:19
You're right. And with a battle screen it could be done. Do you have any ideas on how you could get around this if they didn't want to have battle screens?

- MKL
Old April 29, 2000, 23:56   #3
OrangeSfwr

With the Civ 2 system, the hit points and firepower system is repeated until one side wins. Why not end it once both sides have used their hit points and fire power instead of repeating it until a unit is destroyed. The system should be redone to begin with, but this is a start...

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old April 30, 2000, 02:26   #4
Biddles
Prince

Local Time: 00:19
Make it so that it is possible to keep fighting (with the approval of both sides) in one turn, and make it so that some units always fight to the death (i.e. cruise missiles or any unit on a black op). Sounds good though.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old April 30, 2000, 13:06   #5
OrangeSfwr

That sounds good. An order for your unit to retreat or keep fighting should be allowed. By the way: I like your quote :-)

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old May 8, 2000, 04:46   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:19
I guess the best way to do it is to totally redesign the entire combat system. If not, add "no. of attacks per turn" attribute to each unit. Some units have more attacks (eg armor) than others. Once the attacking unit has exhausted the number of attacks, combat is over. During this the defending unit might retreat due to high losses or demoralization.
Old May 8, 2000, 09:22   #7
general_charles
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:19
I think there could be for example a pop-up window for battles, and when the battle has wiped out half of the other unit's points, they then get the choice to retreat, but this option should only be availaible when you have several units in one square, and not when you have only one, because battle could last forever, I think that units should have the choice to retreat only once until they are repaired, this is why you can only choose to retreat if you have half the points already taken away.
Besides that, I think that units retreating should not have any choice where to retreat, say they are attacked from the left square, they must go in the opposite direction; the right square (poor units next to the sea...). BTW, I hope that there could be more than 9 units on one square, cause inCTP, it's really annoying, if you have 9 units on one square, you cannot pass through that square with other units...
Old May 8, 2000, 15:00   #8
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
I think that if the battle was pretty equal then the unit will be destroyed but the nearby friendly Units will get a few HP.
how about that ?

------------------
-------------------
Enslave the enemy .