Old December 3, 2001, 16:01   #1
ike0481
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A Small Complaint
This complaint is probably not even worthy of a thread but I noticed something in a recent game that annoyed me. When making trades with other civs I would like a message after 20 turns to pop up reminding me to review the conditions of the trade. A lot of times I would be trading Silk to one civ for some obselete tech when another civ would be willing to give lots of goodies for Silk which I have no extras. The A.I. will always cancel a deal after 20 years if it is not rewarding to there civ any longer. I hate to admit that I'm not as smart as the A.I. in that aspect and tend to forget when exactly I made the origional deal. If I'm wrong here, be nice, and let me know.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:05   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ooh! Ooh! I know!

When you're in the diplomacy screen (ie you'rte actually talking to another Civ), down the bottom of the middle (negotiations) part of the screen are the words "New", "Active" etc. "Active" shows you the existing agreements (incl trades) you have with that Civ and how many turns there are to go before it expires.

Hope I helped.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:09   #3
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 12:56
Please, no more nag screens! The one about the stupid aqueducts and hospitals is already annoying enough. Just keep a note of your diplomatic deals in your Civ ledger.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:12   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Umm...

Can someone explain Lib's post to me? Nag screens? Diplomatic ledger?
Old December 3, 2001, 16:17   #5
ike0481
Chieftain

I am aware of the New and Active deals in the diplomacy but what I was hoping for would be a screen that says
"Your trade agreement with the French where you traded this and that for this and that has expired. Would you like to contact the French and set up a new deal?"
This would be much better than the deal going on for 100 turns without you knowing about it (yes i know i could click away and find out but I'm lazy!) when you could be using those items for other trades.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:19   #6
Bubba_B
Warlord

Your wife on the computer....
The nag screens are the one's that pop up when your city has stopped growing and asks if you want to change production to a Aqueduct of Hospital.

They are a pain in the arse.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:19   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Er, maybe it's in the patch... (I hope)
Old December 3, 2001, 16:20   #8
ike0481
Chieftain

I think he's talking about having a pen and piece of paper where you write down all your diplomatic agreements and transactions. A simple script would take care of this problem and would keep the Gamer more up to date on what is going on.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:23   #9
Libertarian
King

Nag screens are modal OS resources that force you to respond to them before any other task may continue. The one that nags you to build hospitals, for example. If you have fifty cities, and are in the middle of a war, it is annoying to have to dismiss them all one by one just to get to the start of your turn.

The ledger is the journal that you keep as you play your game. It should include every detail of every turn. It helps to ensure a sensible and meaningful chronosynclasticinfundibulum.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:23   #10
ike0481
Chieftain

Speaking of the Patch..........does anyone have a word on when it will be released?
Old December 3, 2001, 16:26   #11
ike0481
Chieftain

chronosynclasticinfundibulum
UMMM...K !
Old December 3, 2001, 16:26   #12
Libertarian
King

I think there's information on it in one of the other forums.
Old December 4, 2001, 10:20   #13
Raleigh
Warlord

I agree, there should be warning.
Old December 4, 2001, 10:30   #14
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:56
Re: A Small Complaint
Quote:
Originally posted by ike0481
This complaint is probably not even worthy of a thread
how true!
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 4, 2001, 10:45   #15
Venger
King

Re: Re: A Small Complaint
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

how true!
The town jackass brays again! Can you for once try and bring something to the thread instead of being an energy vampire that just sucks the life force from any thread?

I think that his original point is a good one - though I thought I had noticed that the computer informed you of a resource loss? And I swear I've been contacted by the AI when a deal is about to run out - in fact the Germans did it to basically say that my 4 for 1 resource deal just wasn't good enough for him anymore...

Venger
Old December 4, 2001, 11:29   #16
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:56
Re: Re: Re: A Small Complaint
Quote:
Originally posted by Venger

The town jackass brays again! Can you for once try and bring something to the thread instead of being an energy vampire that just sucks the life force from any thread?

I think that his original point is a good one - though I thought I had noticed that the computer informed you of a resource loss? And I swear I've been contacted by the AI when a deal is about to run out - in fact the Germans did it to basically say that my 4 for 1 resource deal just wasn't good enough for him anymore...

Venger
you should thank civ for your social life. this is the 25th thread on -what do i think is wrong with civ- or 'here's my opinion'. you are the only one who actually enjoys seeing them because you threadspam just as much (although your whines are more substantiated)

one either gets a message about trade renewal or a popup about a loss of a resource/luxury. feel free to whine about that solution, to me it is fine and the complaint is rather unjustified.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 4, 2001, 11:44   #17
Dev
Warlord

Local Time: 17:56
LaRusso last time I checked you weren't a mod so shut your pie hole and/or report posts you find offensive to the mods.

Your childish brain damaging drivel gets old....

/dev
Old December 4, 2001, 12:14   #18
volcanohead
Warlord

Local Time: 18:56
No, actually there is a real issue here. If you have a deal for 10 gold/turn to buy a tech, the AI will not cancel after 20 turns (of course not!) and they will be no sign that the deal can be annulled. OK, it is obviously not super-challenging to keep track of these things, but if you're trading a lot it does become a drag to keep up... And you know a pop-up is not such a big deal - is it?

V
Old December 4, 2001, 12:23   #19
Bubba_B
Warlord

Somebody please..............
Could somebody tell me what are the "unwritten rules" for posting on the Gerneral Forum?
Old December 4, 2001, 12:38   #20
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Local Time: 17:56
LaRusso is the apolyton nag screen, we couldnt get rid of him, it would make life easier.

and who wants to do that?
Old December 4, 2001, 13:01   #21
ike0481
Chieftain

Thaks guys!
Well I'm glad that the majority of you agree with me on this oh so minor issue. Nag screens do get old and I'm sure there is a better way to solve this issue. Perhaps just like when a city builds something you get the text above the city to notify you, maybe they could do the same thing with this. Maybe flash a small text above your capital "Trade agreement with the French has ended" or something like that to keep the game going. Or better yet, have the computer cancle all trade agreement after 20 turns. This nonsence of silks, insence, gold per turn, tech, for wine for 100 turns because you forgot about the trade you did with the french 1000 years ago is a bit......annoying.
Old December 4, 2001, 20:30   #22
Libertarian
King

Ack!

That's another thing so annoying that I'm surprised it hasn't driven Yin to throw himself upon his sword. Pollution where? Wait! Who stopped resisting? Whoa! Culture expanded where? Hey! Did I see a German settler whiz by somewhere near Paris?

Bing, bang, bing, bang! Seven different messages flash for just a half-second like subliminal ads all over the screen at once.

Just a scrollable list of the messages would be great.