Old December 4, 2001, 02:28   #1
KLIN-TONN
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 17:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
War from the get-go
This has taken some getting used to, as in Civ II I'd generally wait for fundamentalism, mobile warfare, espionage and automobile before getting really aggressive, but I've finally come to the conclusion that the way to go in Civ III (I'm playing Regent, BTW) is as follows:

1. Wage war on the first civ you discover
2. Keep their cities
3. Pop-rush city improvements
4. Aim generally for the government your Civ is most happy with and once there
5. stay there.
6. Boot everybody off your continent
7. Be a cad.

This last point is maybe the most important. Sometime after I got proficient with Civ II I stopped being such a bastard nation - breaking treaties all the time, demanding tribute, receiving it and attacking the next turn, etc. - but I'm not good enough yet at Civ III to be such a gentleman. It is also easier to get back on someone's good side, I believe, than it was in the last game - if, you know, you care about that kind of thing.

This strategy, I think, is the best way to beat the AI's early sprawl and AI advantage. Just crush them into submission, take them for everything they're worth, and polish them off. Easier said than done, I know, but if you're ruthless enough anything's possible.
Old December 4, 2001, 03:10   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:57
I like this guy. Wouldn't happen to favour Roman civ would you?

Salve
Old December 4, 2001, 03:11   #3
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 11:57
"Sire, our power is Supreme and our reputation is Atrocious."

Yeah, I used to get that message from time to time...heh heh heh...
Old December 4, 2001, 07:49   #4
CB2034
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:57
I play exactly the same way. With either impi's, mounted warriors or hoplites I end up being very strong in the beginning of the game.
Old December 4, 2001, 08:12   #5
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 18:57
An indication of one's diplomatic status with others would be helpful. Maybe people would mind more, and calculate better...
Old December 4, 2001, 11:03   #6
eMarkM
Warlord

What you're describing is basically Despot Rush, and yes, it's very effective. Even on Deity. Usually go w/ a civ like Zulu or Aztec that have a stone age UU w/ 2 movement. You can find the others quick and your units will retreat when attacking. Just build a ton of military from the start and never stop until you have your neighbors beaten down.

I disagree w/ all the backstabbing. You can do this w/o breaking treaties on the very next turn. Especially if you want to deal w/ other overseas civs in the middle game. Takes a bit more finesse, but I find it's worth it when I get a lot of trade going later. Make peace than provoke them to break the treaty. On Regent you can maybe get away w/ early backstabs since you'll likely be in a tech lead. But with Monarch on up, you have to have some friends that are willing to trade tech w/ you. So you have to maintain a decent rep or they won't deal w/ you.

e
Old December 4, 2001, 11:42   #7
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

In multiple continent games, I'm very nasty to civs that share my continent. I'll be concerned about my rep but not overly because I plan on eliminating everyone on my continent anyway. For those civs on other continents, I try to deal very honorably with them to keep them friendly and tradable in the mid-game. I will give them 2-10 lump sums very frequently to improve their demeanor. If you have trade agreements with them, they're less likely to attack. If world wars are ready to break out, I've benefitted by giving them 1 gold a turn to give them another reason not to attack me. Sometimes it's the little things. And in the middle game, it's chump change.

In the end game, I could care less about rep. Since I figure I'm going to have to trash their caps to destroy a spaceship or two. Fortunately when you play continents on medium sized worlds, their capitals are usually within five spaces of their cultural boarders at sea, so you can mass battleships and transports outside their land and do a massive landing to attack the cap next turn. The AI falls for this one every time.

RAH
Old December 4, 2001, 21:02   #8
Dan Baker
Settler

I concur.

Although, a more conservative approach involves 'sniping'. That is, put troops right outside your nearest openents capital, and wait for the settlers to come out. Nail them with your troops. Not only do you get two workers for free, you effectivly set him back about 20 turns... Do this a couple of times, and he's pretty much done for. You can eliminate at your own leasure. This also frees up resources for other things early on. His former capital is usually a great place to build the forbidden palace.

Assualting cities requires superior unit building, sniping on open ground just requires a bit of luck.

Definitly sacrifce population to build some cultaral improvements. The cultral advantage of a large number of early cities is priceless.
Old December 8, 2001, 15:55   #9
KLIN-TONN
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Dan,
the simplest strategies are always the best, aren't they?

Sniping is a brilliant idea and I look forward to employing it.
Old December 8, 2001, 20:50   #10
Libertarian
King

The Chinese work really well with this strategy also. You do have to wait just a bit longer for the Rider, but in the meantime you can build a fantastic infrastructure with your industrious workers.

Also, the Chinese color is cool.
Old December 9, 2001, 21:11   #11
Bismark29
Settler

My two cents
I do this very much so, trying to mirror the "vassal" strategy that I read about on this very board.

One of the civs I think that can be devasting when attempting the despot-rush is the Persians. Why? Because with your first advance you can research Iron-working.......while researching build barracks in every city......as well as settlers to build cities on the iron resources.........then start pumping out Immortals. If the civ is a very aggressive one such as the Germans, Aztecs, and Zulus I will generally wipe them out. If they aren't as aggresive I might keep them around with like 2 or 3 cities and constantly threaten them into giving me money and so forth.

There is a thread somewhere on here that outlines the objectives of the "vassal" strat very well. Check it out.
Old December 9, 2001, 21:19   #12
MadWombat
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:57
Yep. Immediate aggression is THE way to play. It wins on every difficulty level. Though Deity is tough just because of the massive start advantage that the AI gets.