Old December 4, 2001, 07:40   #1
Bane Star
Warlord

Local Time: 03:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Game parts missing
I couldn't Find a thread addressing these so I'll start one myself:

Does anyone else also miss/need these features whne playing:

When an active troop is standing atop a town (or a stack for that matter) I cannot tell if there are allready fortified defencive troops in the town/stack, Ok I'm lazy but in civ2 I could give a quick glance and knew what was in the town so sould make split second decisions on weather to press F or move away

solution: bottom right hand box could portray smaller/grey troops within the same location.

Sometimes when presented an active worker I cannot tell if the terrain he stands upon has a road or not, usually in the mountains or if other graphics cover it (hills seem to cover spots of roads).

Solution: in the bottom right hand box written in text under the name of the terrain could be the words: road/mine/farm if the terrain has these in, so I dont have to spend more than a nano-second to determine if the improvement exists or not, (the ammount of times I'd glance at the screen, and press R time and time again and have to reset my brain that while I cant see behind the worker graphic, that there is indeed a road there). At the moment the only indication I have is the missing Icon for build roads, but since I use the keyboard to play most of the game I hardly notice those.
Old December 4, 2001, 07:50   #2
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 19:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yep, to see in the Terrain Info which Improvement the tile has, is a feature that really should be included.
Sometimes even mines are hidden behind certain ressources and you are only able to tell, which tile has a mine if you look onto the Production Output.
Old December 4, 2001, 08:14   #3
CB2034
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:58
foritified troops are not standing straight up. they usually have brought their weapon to bear. unforitified troops are standing at attention
Old December 4, 2001, 08:42   #4
Bane Star
Warlord

Local Time: 03:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm talking about being able to see what troops are beneath my active troop without needing to rightclick, or open the city window, it takes half a sec to glance at the screen, if this information is present. but its not, and I'd like it to be
Old December 4, 2001, 08:48   #5
Barchan
Warlord

Local Time: 17:58
Quote:
Originally posted by CB2034
foritified troops are not standing straight up. they usually have brought their weapon to bear. unforitified troops are standing at attention
Huh. I guess I never really noticed that before, but it is a bit subtle, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like saying that the regular infantry have black berets, but the ones with the little green berets are elite. Admittedly, that'd be a nice touch, but it's a hell of a lot more difficult to spot than the "chiclet bar" they currently have. I do sorta miss the ol' "F" flag for the fortified troops. Not as much as I miss the "Sentry" command, but still....
Old December 4, 2001, 11:06   #6
Be Quicker
Warlord

Local Time: 18:58
Re: Game parts missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Bane Star
I couldn't Find a thread addressing these so I'll start one myself:

Does anyone else also miss/need these features whne playing:

When an active troop is standing atop a town (or a stack for that matter) I cannot tell if there are allready fortified defencive troops in the town/stack, Ok I'm lazy but in civ2 I could give a quick glance and knew what was in the town so sould make split second decisions on weather to press F or move away

solution: bottom right hand box could portray smaller/grey troops within the same location.

I agree 10000% !!!
It was the first thing I ran into when I started playing CivIII. You know at the beginning, I saw my worker blinking, and I thought "am I not supposed to start with a worker AND a settler?". Ever since I've been irritated by it. Most often by moving the last infantary from a stack of artilery... meeen that zuigt, one cavalry from the opponent and they are all destroyed. Or moving 'the' defense unit (as opposed to passerbys) from a city. The right-clicking just does not cut it. Not only is it too much trouble, the info is in text format, which takes ten times longer to parse with the eye than pictures.

I think horse has a thread about this among other things, especially about the artilary ...
Old December 4, 2001, 16:23   #7
G.A
Chieftain

Also easier way to tell what the worker is doing at the moment.
Like in Civ1 it would have a letter on a settler showing if he`s mining, irrigating, clearing or building a road. Now you have to look at his moves for a long time to tell...
Old December 4, 2001, 18:15   #8
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 12:58
Re: Re: Game parts missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Be Quicker
I agree 10000% !!!
Same here!

There's far too much effort needed to figure out what a unit is doing or how many are in the same spot. This is a step backwards from Civ II where the info was available at a glance.
Old December 4, 2001, 19:14   #9
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Oh my gosh! I've just realized I tried to scroll web-pages by clicking the edges of my screen just like in Civ3

- Paul Valery