Old December 4, 2001, 17:35   #1
Travathian
Warlord

Local Time: 09:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Theory of Evolution not giving techs?
Has anyone completed this wonder and not gotten a tech or only one?

It would seem that whatever tech you are currently researching can not be one of the free ones. Thus, if you already have all available techs researched down a certain path and the one you are on is the only one available, you get nothing. Or if there is one available and the one you're working on is the only one after that available you get one free tech.

ie . . . In the Industrial age, I had all of the bottom half of techs up to, but not inlcuding Radio. I was working on Industrialization. I had Communism. This left Radio as the only tech I could get that didn't have a prerequisite I was missing. So i get Radio for free and then nothing. I went back and delayed the completion until Industrialzation was complete. Then finished DToE. I then got Radio and Espionage.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone and they can reproduce it as well.
Travathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2001, 18:10   #2
Jurimax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 18:59
I once had about the same problem. But there was one thing different, I didn't get any advances!! I was researching the last advance in the industrial era. So none were available to me!
Jurimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2001, 15:02   #3
G.A
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:59
It only gives advances that you have access to.
G.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2001, 15:17   #4
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Local Time: 18:59
I got this wonder in my first game with the idea that I would finally catch up and go ahead on science so I had somethjing to trade for once. So what happened? Instead of completing my currrent Industrial Age tech and giving me a choice of the next ones available (as I expected from civ2), I was given two old useless medieval techs from the previous era that I had no use for (Music Theory and one other). Duh! So one lesson is to make sure you buy up all those old techs on the cheap before you finish this Wonder. I don't understand how you could fail to get ANY new techs, even if it means moving to the next Age. That sounds like a bug.
Rusty Nail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2001, 05:55   #5
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I just discoverd something the same turn I built this wonder, and it only gave me 1 advance.
Old December 6, 2001, 13:19   #6
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
I got Radio and Electricity (useless now exept for the fact you need to research them for later advances), while i was researching combustion, which saved me the effort of doing so.

I had wondered wether to completely skip republic (i was in a major war that was going to last for a little while longer) and try and get Demo by the end of it, but i (luckily) decided not to, and researched it as i was ending the war...

Progressive Game ID #0023
N35t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2001, 01:39   #7
Travathian
Warlord

Local Time: 09:59
Alright Firaxis, is this a feature or a bug we're experiencing?
Travathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2001, 03:27   #8
vj23
Settler

Local Time: 17:59
Re: Theory of Evolution not giving techs?
Quote:
Originally posted by Travathian
Has anyone completed this wonder and not gotten a tech or only one?
Yes, I just had the same problem on diety level. I was researching atomic theory - the only available tech to research at the time and did not get any techs from the TOE. I haven't played long enough after I finished the TOE but maybe this wonder gives the techs at later point when more become available? If its not the case then this is a bug that really hurts especially considering that TOE was the first wonder I was able to complete at the diety level and it turns out it was complete waste of shields.
vj23 is offline   Reply With Quote