Old December 4, 2001, 21:39   #1
SoHappy
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CivIII ... hell no bring on SMAC II
Well played and getting tired of CivIII, waiting for patch and hoping will make it last a little longer.

I am now missing SMAC and hoping that the next project of Firaxis will be SMAC II as for me SMAC is better then CivIII as lets face it had better diplomacy, better units, prototypes, terrain elevation, factions .... the list goes on ... Civ is tired bring on SMAC II
Old December 4, 2001, 21:49   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 14:00
Run-on sentences are fun!
I liked SMAC a whole bunch too. I am really hope that someone decides to do a sequel for that awesome game.
Old December 4, 2001, 21:51   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

And I'm really hoping that 'someone' won't be Firaxis, as they have clearly become a hack house after Brian left.

If Big Huge Games comes out with a SMAC-esque RTS, I'll pre-order it just on principle alone!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 4, 2001, 21:55   #4
Sandman
King

Local Time: 19:00
If it doesn't have the vile pink graphics of SMAC, then it should be great.
Old December 4, 2001, 21:58   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

That's a good point. At one time, I said the SMAC graphics looked like somebody tossed up a half digested taco onto an Etcha-Sketch.

Old December 4, 2001, 22:00   #6
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:00
Sci-fi sucks ***
Old December 4, 2001, 22:01   #7
SoHappy
Chieftain

Just does not make sense how they can go from building SMAC to CivIII ... in other words walking backwards!!!
Old December 4, 2001, 22:07   #8
Tomsawyer
Settler

I love SMAC, but what the hades would they base a sequel on???? I mean could you imagine the tech tree? If you did the transcendence ending the human race as a whole is no longer in corporal form, and a nano tech sociecty is forming on earth...........hmm I know a colony ship from AC goes to Earth but there is trouble on the ship and factio....... nahhhhh that concept just wouldnt work hehehhehe
Old December 4, 2001, 22:10   #9
MarBaS
Chieftain

Stop whineing babys. Civ3 is an great game.
Old December 4, 2001, 22:18   #10
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Sure, if you're hard-up to kill time.

Old December 4, 2001, 22:22   #11
SoHappy
Chieftain

Ohh go home I am not saying CivIII is a bad game, hell I bought it and play it! but just frustrating that after coming up with great ideas in SMAC they dont use some of them to make CivIII even better and really make it CivIII not CivII1/2 .... just seems they were a little lazy
Old December 4, 2001, 22:41   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I tend to think of lazy people as those who know what should be done but just don't do it. I'm not sure Firaxis even had a clear idea what should be done. That moves them more toward the incompetent department.

Old December 4, 2001, 22:49   #13
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 12:00
i don't see how they could improve smac that much. plus, they wouldn't be able to add enough good things to justify what would basically be a remake (like civ2) and it's not on a subject as great as civ (human history)

i'm doubting smac2 will be firaxis' next big thing. but hopefully dinos won't be

colinisation 2...that would be cool
Old December 5, 2001, 00:29   #14
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 11:00
I thought most people hated SMAC because of the substandard AI, strange techs, strange wonders and non-intuitive improvements. Before Civ3 was released this is what I read most about SMAC. Why the sudden change?

PS: I personally liked SMAC. However, as of now I still prefer Civ3.
Old December 5, 2001, 00:49   #15
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 10:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
I thought most people hated SMAC because of the substandard AI, strange techs, strange wonders and non-intuitive improvements. Before Civ3 was released this is what I read most about SMAC. Why the sudden change?
It's something new to complain about.
Old December 5, 2001, 00:54   #16
Trifna
King

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yup... hip hip horray for SMAC 2 (I'm ironic)

Who says they wont make same as with the Civ II to Civ III progression? Personally, I think that Civ III has more potential than Civ II, but needs so much changes everywhere...

PS: Hey Yin, are you reading these forums every 5 minutes? You responded 6 times before I just saw this thread, and last time I came was a few hours ago! You're too maaaaniaaaaccc
Old December 5, 2001, 00:59   #17
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I'm chained to a desk at work in front of a computer with Internet access. I'm surrounded by people who speak a different language from mine (I understand what they are saying, but it still hurts my head at times). I've done all my work and it's either read Poly or practice writing Chinese characters ... which also hurts my head.

So, yes. I'm a maniac. The good news is it looks like I'll have a new job in April, one that will keep me away from the computer a whole lot more. Rejoice, Poly! Rejoice!

Old December 5, 2001, 01:12   #18
GePap
Emperor

Yes!
Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy

colinisation 2...that would be cool
Yes
The original colonization was a great game (the only reason i don't play it is because it won't work on my new computer) and the amount of new features that could be implemented, from more state (Portugal at least) to new interactions with Natives (hey, let me play as the Inca!) to a better economic system (even though the first one was good) and better combat. Boy, Colonization... there is aline that needs continuation.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old December 5, 2001, 04:48   #19
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 20:00
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
If Big Huge Games comes out with a SMAC-esque RTS, I'll pre-order it just on principle alone!
um, that sounds just like you
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 5, 2001, 05:24   #20
Expatriate
Chieftain

Re: Yes!
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Yes
The original colonization was a great game (the only reason i don't play it is because it won't work on my new computer) and the amount of new features that could be implemented, from more state (Portugal at least) to new interactions with Natives (hey, let me play as the Inca!) to a better economic system (even though the first one was good) and better combat. Boy, Colonization... there is aline that needs continuation.
Its a great game, but I think it lacks the replayablity of Civ II/SMAC. To be honest, its almost too easy and you practially have to go looking for trouble if you want a challenge. The AI is just too passive and friendly. But a Col II could be great if they improved it as much as Civ was mproved from Civ I to Civ II.
Old December 5, 2001, 11:26   #21
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Colonization rules.

A number 2 would be good.

Maybe they could splice it with civ so u could form into america and then take over the world.
Old December 5, 2001, 11:26   #22
Herder
Chieftain

If anyone is interested in Tactical level WWII combat this is a good game:

http://www.battlefront.com/

It isn't a big company but it has a huge following of die hard wargamers (over 125,000 posts in the forum).

You can mod this game like crazy, multiplay, super realism.

Just FYI for any of you players that are into historical recreations.
Old December 5, 2001, 11:45   #23
Antonin
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton

PS: I personally liked SMAC. However, as of now I still prefer Civ3.
Why the sudden change? Because people like to complain. When/if SMAC 2 comes out, they will complain that it's either

1) not enough like SMAC 1 or

2) too different from SMAC 1

Me, I love SMAC and still play it often.

I think the problem with the whiners is that they have evolved (or devolved - take your pick) away from the turn-based empire-building strategy genre. They should move on to something that interests them.

I've bought numerous game that I haven't liked. Some of them I had very high hopes for.

What I then do is put the game aside or sell it, and move on to something else. If the game has a feature that I think makes it unplayable, I write to the designers and tell them, in a respectful tone, why I don't like their game. I don't spam fan forums with endless rants about how the game "sucks" or is "broken" just because it doesn't have my own little wish-list of features.

The Internet brings out the worst in people. It enables anyone to say whatever they want in near-anonymity, with no need to justify what they say or suffer any consequenses for rudeness.

It's pretty sad.
Old December 5, 2001, 15:57   #24
ocalme
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomsawyer
I love SMAC, but what the hades would they base a sequel on????
i guess it might be something like

brian reinold's master of centauri

just kidding, but who knows... the concept IMO must be exactly that.
Old December 5, 2001, 18:27   #25
August Borms
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomsawyer
If you did the transcendence ending the human race as a whole is no longer in corporal form
Then we could go beyond the rim of the universe and join the Vorlons, Shadows and the other First Ones?
Old December 5, 2001, 20:35   #26
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 20:00
Oh that would be sooo niiiice(with that freak stimpy voice) Then we could have a nice chat with Valen and President Sheridan

- Paul Valery
Old December 5, 2001, 20:58   #27
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
um, that sounds just like you
LOL! Well, I now consider the computer game industry to be a game within a game, so why not enjoy it?

By the way, Brian Reynolds is out here in Korea right now. He gave the keynote speech yesterday at the Cyberworld Games. I couldn't go. I was stuck here at work.

Old December 5, 2001, 21:30   #28
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarBaS

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old December 5, 2001, 22:03   #29
greggbert
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:00
Idea for SMACII
They could build it as an add on to Civ III, with future techs so that your starship can colonize the planet and you can run both empires at once! The tech tree would just continue on at modern age, and you could bring reinforcements, fungus, strange luxuries, etc... back and forth! Hell even the 2 alien crossfire dudes could do orbital bombardment or land!
Old December 6, 2001, 00:11   #30
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarBaS