Old August 18, 2000, 21:00   #1
bigboss
Settler

Local Time: 17:42
Local Date: October 30, 2010
differences between the tribes
I am curious if there are any differences between the tribes in Civ2.
I used to think there was, and I swear that I remember certain tribes started with particular advances and units (this was back when the game first came out and I didn't really get into it). I am seriously playing this game lately and I noticed that starting advances and units seem completely random. My starting goodies range from 4 advances and 2 settlers to NO advances and a settler, and sometimes a military unit. If it is completely random this seems rather unfair.
A recent multiplayer game with my two friends yielded me with 4 advances and 2 settlers, while my friends both received no advances and two settlers. They were not too happy to see me have Monarchy as my first researched tech.
so.. any comments/explanations please post!
Old August 18, 2000, 21:36   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:42
The game uses some kind of formula to decide if any "free" techs are awarded.Something to do with proximity to others,terrian,expansion room,etc.Nothing to do with the civ.Although in single player the Americans seem to get Monarchy or Monarchy related techs to start so who knows for sure.

In mp only the host can get techs.Unless you start a game and have humans join, on turn 2, lets say.

The normal procedure is to restart until the host has no techs.There may or may not be some issues with the hosts land then.It ain't perfect.

Deity you all get 2 settlers.Below that a common practice is to have any that got 2 settlers to disband one.On the spot.Not after moving around.Not inside a city.

In your game.you allready well on your way to winning from the start.Assuming all players are about the same in skill.Its easy to see how the others might be discouraged.
Old August 19, 2000, 02:57   #3
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Local Time: 22:42
As far as I know there are no differences between the tribes except who moves first, AI personalities and starting locations.
Old August 19, 2000, 13:15   #4
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 17:42
It's been speculated that if the game decides you warrant extra techs, which techs you start with is based on what the AI would research first given that tribe. In the stratagy forum, there was a thread that touched on that a while back: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HT...tml?date=12:18

------------------
April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
Old August 19, 2000, 17:54   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:42
Hmmm.. I always thought that each color tribe started with different advantages.

Yellow- 2 Settlers
Light Blue- 2 Techs
Old August 21, 2000, 08:13   #6
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:42
I believe there is another big difference. There are certain attributes that can be associated with tribes, e.g., expansionist, researchers, warlike. Certain tribes exhibit more of these than others. I believe the Celts are expansionist, the Greeks are researchers, and the Japanese and Mongols are warlike. Oh, and I think the Americans are prone to negotiations.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.