Old December 5, 2001, 00:09   #1
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War Weariness Observation
Since the manual has no details on war weariness, perhaps we could start a thread on the effects of war weariness in different situations based on actual games.

On Monarch level, AI declares war on my Democracy. My troops invaded AI territory, captured and razed cities. I had the Universal Suffrage but no Police Stations at all. War weariness started to appear 17 turns after declaration of war (i.e. on the 18th turn of war). With no Universal Suffrage and no Police Stations, in a similar situation, war weariness appears approximately on the 15th turn of war.
Old December 5, 2001, 12:30   #2
Bubba_B
Warlord

Local Time: 13:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I try and avoid War Weariness at all costs. I never let my wars go past a certain amount of turns (i.e. qiuickly take a couple of his cities and sue for peace). I've also seemed to notice that War Weariness only affects you if you have units in forgien territory for extended periods. A Civ half way across the world (huge map) declared war on me, but he never attacked me nor I him and I never went into war weariness. This lasted 20+ turns in Republic with no Universal Suffrage or Police Stations. I think the key is troop locations.

I may be wrong, but it won't be the first time.
Old December 5, 2001, 12:35   #3
Bubba_B
Warlord

Local Time: 13:00
First post didn't take
Old December 5, 2001, 20:02   #4
David Weldon
Warlord

Local Time: 10:00
Some anecdotal observations from my games:

I've never had any war-weariness problems under Republic. I have had them under Democracy.

I can't be sure but it seams that taking losses also increases war-weariness. I have fought wars for 100's of turns to wipe out the big continent under Republic with no weariness, but I was using Mech. Infantry, Tanks, and Artillery against Riflemen and Cavalry. In another game I was fighting an equal-tech war under Democracy (and taking losses occasionally) and I eventually had war-weariness (didn't count the turns, sorry).

I found that the extra worker under Dem. is irrelevant because I prefer Industrious civs, and I measured the reduced corruption from Rep. to Dem. at 50 gold out of 1800 income per turn, not a big deal. So, my solution to war-weariness is to stay in a Republic. Only one government change in the whole game...
Experience to extremes" -RUSH 'The Enemy Within'
Old December 5, 2001, 20:33   #5
daFrog
Settler

Local Time: 10:00
Does WW always reset to 0 when you are not at war?

So if I make peace with Indians in 1 turn and then declare war on the Greeks the next, do I get the entire N turn buffer again? (Assuming I have peace w/ everybody else?)

What about if you declare war on the same country the next turn?

Or the same turn, but after you have made peace?
Old December 6, 2001, 07:22   #6
dweez
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:00
Re: War Weariness Observation
I was fighting a neverending war under Republic and had no problem with war weariness until one turn when I screwed up and let my enemy capture two artilery units of mine. Suddenly all my cities went into civil disorder. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.