Old December 5, 2001, 04:52   #1
duxup
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Archipelago is no fun / AI can crosses oceans without tech, or wonder
Has anyone found a good strategy for dealing with the AI's magical ability to cross oceans (sans Lighthouse) on archipelago maps?

I think the map generation in Civ 3 is much better than in previous civs or AC games. Yet every time I try out the archipelago maps I find myself hampered by the fact that by the time I'm able to cross the oceans, the AI has already done so, contacted all the other civs, and exploited that advantage (trading for tech, resources, colonization, ect). They haven't built the lighthouse, yet all the AI civs are out there truck'n around in galleys over deep ocean.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, has anyone found a work around?
Old December 5, 2001, 06:47   #2
Matthevv
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:00
The only thing I can think of to counter this is to trade for communications with the Civs that you haven't met with the Civs that you have met. You would have to keep calling them up to see who they have met.
Old December 5, 2001, 11:25   #3
dweez
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:00
Re: Archipelago is no fun / AI can crosses oceans without tech, or wonder
Quote:
Originally posted by duxup
Has anyone found a good strategy for dealing with the AI's magical ability to cross oceans (sans Lighthouse) on archipelago maps?
I must disagree here. I usually play on totally random maps and in my current game the map consisted of five continents with two civs on each. I was the first to get out and make contact, because I sacrified a few galleys and it was worth it. The other civilizations didn't make contact for a long time and during that time they had to go through me (I refused to sell communications).
The first civ that managed to arrive at my continent was Romans, AFTER they have build the Lighthouse.

So in my opinion it works rather well.
Old December 5, 2001, 15:08   #4
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:00
I haven't noticed any "magical" ability either. On most archipelago maps there is a lot of coastal area, often connecting the islands. The AI seems to find these very readily.
Old December 5, 2001, 20:47   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I grabbed the lighthouse wonder this game, and the AI (whose still sailing in galleys and caravels) dont go anywhere near the oceans. So it works IMO. Once the patch is in, im expecting the AI to not be able to explore the oceans even w/ the lighthouse until they get caravels (which the other AI would use to explore the seas only)
Old December 5, 2001, 20:53   #6
David Weldon
Warlord

Local Time: 10:00
I think the key here is that there is a chance that a galley won't be lost at sea. Apparently the AI is willing to take that chance (as am I), and therefore it sometimes can cross deeper water than you would expect.

I don't think this is broken, you just have to be aware of how important early contact is and be prepared to pay a price in sunken galleys to get it!
Experience to extremes" -RUSH 'The Enemy Within'
Old December 5, 2001, 21:17   #7
Hunter Hutchins
Warlord

Local Time: 11:00
I played this game on a custom map, standard rules. Everyone was losing galleys. No lighthouse yet. Anyway...I discovered astronomy, which is supposed to give you caravels, and make it safe to use galleys. No go. I lost two caravels in "bad weather" before reaching another continent nobody had been to, and lo and behold all the other civs suddenly make it over to the continent in galleys. -_-
Old December 5, 2001, 22:07   #8
Fitz
King

Local Time: 10:00
I don't know that the AI does risk it's ships. I thought the AI was "magically" crossing the sea when I first started, but then I:
1) read the description for the ships more carefully and realized their is no actual penalty for moving through sea squares, just where you end your turn. (DOH! )
2) realized that on the diagonal movements, you can frequently travel quite easily from one coastal square to another coastal adjacent to another island/continent.

Let's just say that the appearance of impassibility can be quite decieving.
Old December 5, 2001, 23:37   #9
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:00
this hasn't been a problem for me. but once they build lighthouse, you can expect all uninhabited islands to be settled by the ai.

you need to beat them to it on archipelago. I played archipelago last night, yet I ended up on 1 big continent with 5 other ai's. All the other ai's were hampered by small continents/islands