Old December 5, 2001, 22:55   #211
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 13:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
i havent read through the entire thread, but I now know for sure that some of the people posting on this board are FIRAXIS.

Why?

Because of some comments and posts various individuals (yes more than one) have made, were clearly indicative that they had a game with unbroken features that are clearly being fixed with the upcomming patches.

Dan@firaxis has posted once something like "I tested your save and it worked fine..." then to only post shortly after stating "Sorry but it is a bug, the only reason it worked for me is because of the version I'm playing"

I say we, all apolyton users, do some undercover work
I don't get it... was this a joke referring to all the conspiracy theory stuff around here, or what?

Dan
Old December 5, 2001, 22:57   #212
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:01
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
... They give you two options: Handle the 100+ workers one by one to actually accomplish something productive in-game but to make you go blind in the process, or automate them and simply see turns consumed with workers going nowhere and doing nothing. ...
100+ workers?!
No wonder you were upset! What the 'bleep' were you doing with that many workers??

(On large maps (continents), I've only had 30+ so far)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 5, 2001, 22:59   #213
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 18:01
Quote:
Originally posted by deanco
Urg, no sentry command there...but the build queues have been fixed, that's cool. I DO miss the sentry command, though, I gotta admit.

DeanCo--
Why? So your troops can prance around back and forth like the ai does?
Old December 5, 2001, 22:59   #214
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:01
Yes, it's yet another of the 'big map problems,' although not necessarily so. Even with just 30 workers, though, it's a right pain. Maybe if there were more interesting terraforming stuff you could do, but it's just a bunch of putting mines in grasslands, etc., and making the map look as ugly as you possibly can ... agonizing turn by turn

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 5, 2001, 23:02   #215
Dravin
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:01
Seriously though, why do you hang out here if you have returned the game? Are you looking for vengence?
Old December 5, 2001, 23:05   #216
volcanohead
Warlord

Local Time: 19:01
If I understand the patch info correctly the shift-A command together with the preference'see no automated moves' combined with workers not waking up when there is nothing to do may solve many of the problems... Perhaps it's not clear (to me) what your problem with the automation is - and it's basically either because you feel they produce too many mines, or too much irrigation.

If the patch 'does exactly what it says on the tin' (no pun intended re. LE) then I think a lot of the hassle, particularly with pollution, will just evaporate.

The signs are good - despite a rough start - that the Firaxis people do take on at least part of the comments generated here. It will take time to make the game as good as everyone wishes, but I think that it's very playable now and you are a tad reactionary in your protests to the contrary. Why not give it another go with the patch?

V
Old December 5, 2001, 23:05   #217
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 10:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
I don't get it... was this a joke referring to all the conspiracy theory stuff around here, or what?
Dan
glad someone paid attention to my post

It's not a joke, I sincerely believe there are posters here who are with firaxis (i.e: work there...), but without the Firaxis status name, and have let stuff slip out. I was using your posts, Dan, as an example. I often find it that readers understand better with examples.

BTW when I first read the patch list I had a good idea of what exact posts and posters I'm refering too, in other words right on the edge of blowing the firaxis posting conspiracy theory out of the water!!! However a few hours later, my train of thought stalled... so I'll have to hope I can figure it out another time. Unless of course I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

I hope no one is taking this the wrong way. I'm sincerely looking forward to being able to intercept enemy bombers (among other things).
Old December 5, 2001, 23:08   #218
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 05:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Dan
I think someone spent a couple of hundred gold and planted a spy in the FIRAXIS office....

Regarding the patch: good to see it's nearly ready. If we're lucky, 1.16f will be released this weekend. I also hope it's not the last patch, as there are still a few unresolved issues that need addressing that aren't in 1.16f.
Old December 5, 2001, 23:13   #219
volcanohead
Warlord

Smellymummy,

What on Earth are you going on about? Do you really believe that there are people paid by Firaxis to anonymously feed new hints about upcoming fixes etc.?

Look, rationally, why would they do that? It's not as if these boards are lacking in ideas/complaints/observations...

Methinks thou art a little paranoid...

V
Old December 5, 2001, 23:19   #220
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Barbarians need fixing
One thing that annoys me tho - barbarians are too weak! I play raging hordes all the time, and ONCE have I seen hordes of barbarians riding out of the wilderness and wreaking havoc. Usually, the encampments make ONE barbarian at a time. And why do they disappear after they do damage to a city? Dammit, I want barbarians to be FEARSOME!

How barbarians are now:

How barbarians should be:

One other thing - once all the map is covered in cities, there's no more barbarians. Perhaps at this time barbarians should start spawning as Privateers on the ocean. All privateers look alike because their nationality is hidden, so this would make privateers more interesting to use....
Old December 5, 2001, 23:24   #221
Sevorak
Warlord

Barbarians are fine early game challenges on Raging.

If you've never seen 75 barbarian horsemen crest the hill five tiles away from your capital, you don't know just how nasty barbarians get. They're not much of a challenge in the late game, but when the eruptions occur, they can be quite the handful.

-Sev
Old December 5, 2001, 23:26   #222
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
It's not a joke, I sincerely believe there are posters here who are with firaxis (i.e: work there...), but without the Firaxis status name, and have let stuff slip out. I was using your posts, Dan, as an example. I often find it that readers understand better with examples.
Now I get your point
I think that 'example' you gave caused more confusion than helping readers understand better

Reminds me of when i was reading the chat with Soren (i think) where Rod LA was being an a$$. Then someone started knocking Rod, which was kind of annoying. Then i realised just who was knocking Rod, and i was ROFLMAO!!

For those that missed it the first time, reread, and pay attention to the login IP addys
Old December 5, 2001, 23:27   #223
IBNobody
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:01
Re: Barbarians need fixing
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse

How barbarians are now:

How barbarians should be:

LOL...But what did you expect from barbarians other than being smelly and stupid?

They're a menace to settlers/workers, but that's it.

- Nobody
Old December 5, 2001, 23:28   #224
smellymummy
King

Quote:
Originally posted by volcanohead
Smellymummy,

What on Earth are you going on about? Do you really believe that there are people paid by Firaxis to anonymously feed new hints about upcoming fixes etc.?

Look, rationally, why would they do that? It's not as if these boards are lacking in ideas/complaints/observations...

Methinks thou art a little paranoid...

V
Well now, did I in any way indicate that I believe Firaxis is paying people to post here just to feed hints about whats going on. For that matter, I also did not indicate that I believe Firaxis is paying people to come on the board to silence people who are complaining, or to do a mass propaganda posting to make everyone happy.

I am completely rational about it. All I'm saying is there are posters here who clearly had a version of the game that we don't. That in itself is something to notice and keep track of. From now on, whenever I read an odd post that somehow indicates that the poster has a different game than mine, I will not immediately assume that they are delusional anymore and instead assume it might be something being tested, possible addition in future patch/expansion, and yes also asume the poster is delusional.

And you think I may be paranoid... AHA! I think you may be a little paranoid to believe that I am paranoid, because being paranoid is partially believing others are paranoid, and therefore I am only slightly paranoid. Besides being so is smart, safe and a good way to remain out of harm. Especially when it comes to the internet and security, but that's a matter better off left to the OT board.
Old December 5, 2001, 23:30   #225
volcanohead
Warlord

There seems to be something in the patch which has added the alterable option of barbarian offensive level in the editor. Not sure if this increases the number of barbarians, or allows you to have a game with truly rock-hard-nutter-fight-to-the-death-take-no-prisoners barbarians. Which are nice.

V
Old December 5, 2001, 23:30   #226
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Re: Barbarians need fixing
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
One other thing - once all the map is covered in cities, there's no more barbarians. Perhaps at this time barbarians should start spawning as Privateers on the ocean. All privateers look alike because their nationality is hidden, so this would make privateers more interesting to use....

That i would agree with Along with the privateers new attack rating of 2, they can actually do a bit of damage to you. If they could also land some barbarians near your cities too, it would make barbarians something to fear even in the later half of the games.
Old December 5, 2001, 23:34   #227
volcanohead
Warlord

Sorry Smellymummy, I guess I didn't understand when you wrote:

"I sincerely believe there are posters here who are with firaxis (i.e: work there...), but without the Firaxis status name, and have let stuff slip out."

That you ACTUALLY didn't mean people who were with Firaxis at all. My mistake.

V
Old December 5, 2001, 23:40   #228
smellymummy
King

Quote:
Sorry Smellymummy, I guess I didn't understand when you wrote:

"I sincerely believe there are posters here who are with firaxis (i.e: work there...), but without the Firaxis status name, and have let stuff slip out."

That you ACTUALLY didn't mean people who were with Firaxis at all. My mistake.

V
Yes I did mean people who are with firaxis. It's even in the post you quote... How else would they have access to the patch?
Old December 5, 2001, 23:45   #229
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 12:01
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Yoda says, taking a deep sigh having had to state the obvious to too many these past 600 years:

"Automate sucks, it does. Programmed by swamp rats, it was."

good stuff
Old December 5, 2001, 23:46   #230
volcanohead
Warlord

So let me get this straight... you believe that there are people from Firaxis who are, in their spare time and unofficially (if it's official then they're being paid), feeding information about the upcoming fixes in various contrived ways... Am I getting the idea now? And you REALLY believe this?

V
Old December 5, 2001, 23:47   #231
barefootbadass
Prince

Re: I can't help but think Firaxians are complete idiots
Quote:
Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
Great....so uhhhh....where is the combat modification? Do warriors still beat our tanks? Thanks for increasing the probability of assimilation through culture too!! I just found that my cities didn't revert back very often. I mean when I take over a city of the AI, I don't want to keep that thing for 5 turns. Seriously, shouldn't that be around 1 turn or at most 2 turns? And I just love the tech cap change!!! 40 turns for republic!! I can't wait. And no more rush building wonders...simply brilliant!! 100 turns for a wonder is right up my alley. Any faster and I would think maybe I'm making progress in the game, but this way I feel like the game will go on forever, because as you know I just can't get enough of this game. I could go on and on, but somehow I don't think you really meant this game to be a big hit.
You are a complete idiot. First, 40 turns is a maximum, you can still research them as fast as your economy will allow. WTH is that stuff about cities reverting quicker or whatever, you CANNOT know how it will work until you have played it. There is nothing about not rushing wonders in it, leaders are the way to do it, and always were.

Just go back to your RTS games if you don't have the patience for this kind of game.
Old December 6, 2001, 00:01   #232
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Dravin:
Quote:
Seriously though, why do you hang out here if you have returned the game? Are you looking for vengence?
I plan to buy the Gold Edition if things are progressing well. Why not just check in once the Gold Edition is ready? Great question. Hmmmm, because I'm a masochist?

volcanohead:
Quote:
Why not give it another go with the patch?
This is a good suggestion, of course. I plan to give the Gold Edition a good run if things look good. Or, if people get to a point where they think the patches have made a substantial change for the better, I might check it out (the game will be sold for a lower price by then, thereby easing my qualms). I think, though, the *big* patches will be the 2nd and 3rd ones. Those will really tell us where Firaxis is going. Anyway, I'll watch for your updates in the meantime.

d_dudy:

Thanked, you are.

Old December 6, 2001, 00:03   #233
smellymummy
King

Quote:
So let me get this straight... you believe that there are people from Firaxis who are, in their spare time and unofficially (if it's official then they're being paid), feeding information about the upcoming fixes in various contrived ways... Am I getting the idea now? And you REALLY believe this?

V
You kind of asked this already, and I've kind of answered it already.

Yes people from firaxis hang out here on apolyton, especially since the release of the game. Yes these same people post here.

Official or not, on pay or off, do you know how many people come and post/read here while at the office?

Feeding information? I said already no. It's just coming out. Obviously "they" - the unamed "they" - are civers, and obviously enjoy posting about there games and helping the community in general as much as any other decent civer.
Old December 6, 2001, 00:07   #234
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Thanx Jeff and Dan for the patch update.
Old December 6, 2001, 00:08   #235
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I would just like to add that, for a time, a certain number of people actually thought I was Sid. Hilarious! Then again, this could just be me trying to cover up the covering up of a cover up.

Ya never know ...

Old December 6, 2001, 00:10   #236
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Hey!

I see that subs, paratroops, and Privateers now have the same attributes that I put into my Pre-Patch mod!

I feel good about myself... in some.. pathetic way..
Old December 6, 2001, 00:13   #237
volcanohead
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Hey!

I see that subs, paratroops, and Privateers now have the same attributes that I put into my Pre-Patch mod!

I feel good about myself... in some.. pathetic way..
Well hey, that IS pretty cool...
Old December 6, 2001, 00:16   #238
barefootbadass
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
I'm well aware they're not the corporation. But the way they handle complaints is to say "Don't like it, don't play it". Or "Don't like it, edit it". Did civ2 need to be edited and moded in order for it to be fun? Civ2 had a standard. A standard everyone used and played and enjoyed. This game doesn't. Also, Dan and the other guys don't really address the problems. They just deal with them. It's complete lack of commitment to the game. I've said it before, as soon as you say "nice patch" they'll say "Thanks, enjoy the game. We'll see you when civ 4 comes out."
You really are a jack@ss. You can't please everyone, and they clearly are working hard to balance the game and make it as fun as possible for everyone. PLEASE LEAVE if you are going to keep this crap up. You are not appreciated in this corner.
Old December 6, 2001, 00:20   #239
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 13:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Jahi

on grid mode it be nice if the city radius (not cultural radius) was highlighted a different color to help make it out (like civ2 when patched)

the ever requested multiplayer (play by email!)

thanks for the work.
I'd like to see the city radius highlighted too! Would this be difficult to add? it could be in the preferences (like show/animate moves) or in the grid mode as Jahi suggested.

I hope play by email is a multiplayer option. The perfect multiplayer ability for me would be the ability to play a game live/online for a few hours then continue by email until the next time all of the players have several hours free together.
Old December 6, 2001, 00:21   #240
volcanohead
Warlord

I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but maybe we should just let the idiotic comments of EnigmaticGod shrivel and die in some corner rather then requoting them 200 posts later...

V

Last edited by volcanohead; December 6, 2001 at 00:33.