Old December 6, 2001, 17:06   #31
napalm010
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is my solution to losing cities before resistors are quelled.

The game doesn't seem to care what military units are in city. Just that they are there. So I keep 10-12 warrior units around until the end of game. Any city I take over gets 2 good defender units. It also gets 4-6 warriors. The warrior units quell resistors just as fast as Mech Inf. If city goes back I lose 2 good units and 4-6 warriors. No big deal.

I also make sure to put a settler or 2 of my workers in that city. This 2 pop increase of loyal citizens seems to help.

After getting the city to produce, selling cultural city improvements and rebuilding them helps also. This gives u full cultural points for those buildings.

My last step is sending artillery to enemy cities near captured ones I want. Bombard them down to 3-6 pop. This will decrease their culture and usually destroy most of the enemy cities cultural improvements.

I still lose city every so often. But nowhere near the amount I lost before doing this. And the loss of 2 good units is a LOT better than 6-8 top of the line units.
Old December 6, 2001, 18:10   #32
bahoo
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:02
Re: Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...
Quote:
Originally posted by inca911
This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but I'll restate it again. Cultural reversion must be prevented militarily if the population of the city is large.
You have my 100% agreeance on this, but, the way it works now you CANNOT militarily prevent it. When a city defects, your troops make no attempt at fighting off the rebels. I have no problem with the likelihood of them the people getting up the gumption to revolt being tied to the number of troops, that makes perfectly good sense. What I have the problem with is that if they choose to revolt, your soldiers do NOTHING to prevent it.

Quote:
Do you realistically think that the Germans in WW2 could simply capture a town, leave a tiny garrison and move on to the next town without any worries about the city? Nope.
I'm no historian, I have no idea how many troops they left there. But do you realistically think that the Germans, had one of the cities revolted, wouldn't have put up a fight, or at least haul their asses out of town?

What in the heck happens to your troops when a city defects is what I wanna know!
Old December 6, 2001, 18:55   #33
JC Woodman
Settler

Local Time: 10:02
Quote:
Originally posted by wapamingo
I dont know where you got the idea that you can masacre 1 population to stop insurection in civ1 and civ2. There is not such thing there...

I understand that city defection is annoying but you got conquest war all wrong...If you are about to go conquer do not stop and just eliminate the civ. I rarely had problems with city defection (I play Huge map, 16 civs, monarch-emperor). I go conquer a civ 1.5x my size and maybe 1 or 2 did a city defect but always I had enough troops to take it back. I do not raze cities.

So my advice: Eliminate the civ fully and no defection will happen.

cheers
I agree! I dont get this whole raze the city stuff... I have had only 2 times in 5 games on stndrd or large maps where cities revolted. In bolth cases I had not been watching for the warning signs. want to stop revolt garrison troops build temples, libraries, ect. I rarely raze the target city, then only if it is a undesirable locale...in that case...kill 'em all!
Old December 6, 2001, 20:39   #34
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 18:02
I find putting at least 2 units in a conquered city stops it revolting straight away (if its not in resistance) but you really need a temple or a library to influence the culture. Its probably better to use 2 units for ever 4 population points to quell(stop) resistance.

In my game , i may let chine raze our enemy city of Minsk, i've just let russia have it back after I sold off its market and grainery for 35 gold and some workers. It is tough having to station troops to quell resistance, though its good resistors don't eat any food which could be a bonus.. quickly build settlers and workers even better in big cities to remove the foreign culture.

If the enemy city had a big culture to start it seems to make it worse... but once you conquer all that nations cities it dosen't appear to ever come back.
Old December 6, 2001, 21:43   #35
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:02
2 units, that's it?

I might have been using too many units. this explains why I can't figure out all the complaints.

I always had equal or greater numbers of troops. For a size 6 city I had at least 6 units inside of the city. Sometimes I would let it slip to 5, but only if I had no choice.