Old December 6, 2001, 07:51   #1
BDT_Ltd@msn.com
Settler

Local Time: 10:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Two major problems still exsist even after the 1.02 MOD
I recently e-mailed Activision Tech support on two major bugs that still remain in the game, and to my opinion make the game unplayable to a point. They had the gaul to blow me off and send me here. Im surprised no one has seemed to notice this MAJOR bug, that 'Zones of control are suppose to be ignored with your allies, allowing you to move side by side with his units.' Or to quote the text right out of the game "Both nations may travel in each other's territory, regardless of borders. Their Units may ignore the zone of control restrictions normally in place when moving next to allied units."
Now I ask you all, am I the only one who ever makes allies? Try it sometime, you will find to your dismay that you STILL have to walk around him, even tho this is a PRIMARY tactic in the game.

Another bug (crash) I have noticed is when you or even a computer player "Pillage" any improvment square that is not within the colored borders of a nation. This has brought many of my games to abrupt halts when the computer is somewhere do this and I cant stop him. Its also a pain not to be able to use this tactic, and having to tippy toe around it. Could someone please check into these further, as they are driving me NUTS, and Activision refuses to do anything about it, which I find compleatly unacceptable.

~Thabet~
Old December 6, 2001, 08:54   #2
kaan
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 18:05
those two bugs are well known (to me at least) and not fixed (to my knowledge). the crash bug sounds like its hard coded, but one of the ai guys might be able to stop the ai from even trying.
as for the ZOC problem, well i dont know what it comes from or how to fix it.

Quote:
I recently e-mailed Activision Tech support on two major bugs that still remain in the game, and to my opinion make the game unplayable to a point. They had the gaul to blow me off and send me here.
well im surpriced that you dont know that activision has totaly abandoned this game. but what is more interesting for me is that they send you here for answers, could you please post the entire email from activision here?

klaus
Old December 6, 2001, 12:53   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 20:05
Re: Two major problems still exsist even after the 1.02 MOD
Quote:
Originally posted by BDT_Ltd@msn.com
Another bug (crash) I have noticed is when you or even a computer player "Pillage" any improvment square that is not within the colored borders of a nation. This has brought many of my games to abrupt halts when the computer is somewhere do this and I cant stop him.
I know this pillage neutral tile improvements bug. As I had to work with neutral tile improvements in my GoodMod I had to write a small piece of slic code that prevents both human and AI players from pillaging neutral tile improvements. And I thought that is only a problem with human players. However get GoodMod, Cradle or the latest version of MedPack2. These mods have this piece of slic code included. The only problem that is there that the unit that attemped to pillage such a tile improvement will loose a move point and the ability to pillage something in this turn.

By the way no one should buy Activision's product as you have to believe that the support for all their products is as good as the support for CTP2.

-Martin
Old December 6, 2001, 14:53   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 19:05
or if you don't wan't to download a huge mod for 5 lines of code Add this to script.slc.
Code:
HandleEvent(CutImprovements) 'stopcrash' pre{
      if(TileOwner(location[0]) < 0){
           return STOP;
     }
}
That about right Martin?
Old December 6, 2001, 14:57   #5
BDT_Ltd@msn.com
Settler

The entire e-mail from Activision.
Quote:
Originally posted by kaan
well im surpriced that you dont know that activision has totaly abandoned this game. but what is more interesting for me is that they send you here for answers, could you please post the entire email from activision here?

klaus
Klaus, following is the e-mail that you requested, sending me to this site for any fixes was their only sudjestion.

(----------------------------------------------------------------------------------)

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If we do not hear from you within 96 hours we will assume your issue
has been resolved.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
I am writing to inquire if there is or will be a further patch to Call to Pow...

Suggested Answer
At 12/04/2001 10:24 AM we wrote -

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Call to Power 2.

At this time we are unsure as to whether there will be another patch for the game. I'd recommend watching Apolyton's CTP2 site for more information on this and other CTP2 issues:
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/

Question
---- 12/04/2001 10:15 AM ---------------------------------------------
I am writing to inquire if there is or will be a further patch to Call to Power II, beyond that of the 1.11 patch. There are several (re-producable) critial errors still exsisting in the game that make it nearly unplayable to date. One of these very basic errors is the inablity to move within an Allies "Zones of Control" as is suppose to be possible. Another is a (crash error) that occures whenever you (the player) or a computer player "Pillages" any square improvment that is not located within a nations colored borders. This becomes a serious problem making continuing past a point in the game impossible, esspecialy when the computer is doing this someplace where you cannot see. Both of these problems I have tested on 4 difrently configured computers and found them to be present each and every time. I feel that with a game that is this old, there is no excuse for these problems, especialy when the basic nature of each make the game unplayable to a certin point. Should you have further questions, please contact me via E-amil or Phone XXX-XXX-XXXX. I would even be happy to work with a patch team to recreate the problems. Thank you.

Question Reference #011204-000167
Product: PC
Sub-Product: Call to Power II
Date Created: 12/04/2001 10:15 AM
Last Updated: 12/04/2001 10:25 AM
Elapsed Time: 0 Minutes

If your issue remains unresolved, please update this question at
https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-...ted=1007489702

You may also update this question by replying to this message.
Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter
your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of
this message will be discarded.

[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

If you are replying and cannot enter your text above in-between the specified lines (commonly AOL), then click here
https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-...ted=1007489702
to take you to our website to reply to this message. If you have not logged into our website before then the password is blank (do not enter a password) for you.

Brant Clabaugh
Activision Customer Support Representative

(----------------------------------------------------------------------------------)

So, basicly this sight is it. I figure I got the normal corporate TECH response to a question they have probably been asked a few hundred or thousand times. Personaly, I think some sort of legal action is warranted. They have made an unfinished and almost un-usable product that dose not work, then they forget it ever happened, but they sure dont mind taking our money. Ooo...there are about a dozen other small bugs that I could complain about two, but obviously sending me to a third party site for a fix has got to be the all time brush off and message that "We arnt going to do a thing, because there isnt any money it."
Il keep a dialog going as to further findings, and thanks for the information. Im glad to hear atleast that these problems are known by other.

~Thabet~
Old December 6, 2001, 16:04   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Call to Power 2.

At this time we are unsure as to whether there will be another patch for the game. I'd recommend watching Apolyton's CTP2 site for more information on this and other CTP2 issues:
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/
Oh äh äh an answer robot not updated for ages.

Something like: CTP2?? not any more our game. Look there that's now their game. Maybe I should test this robot for some entertainment.

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
That about right Martin?
and I thought it is worth to download this mod.

-Martin
Old December 6, 2001, 21:13   #7
ENGINEER
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:35
Don't worry even in Civ 3 you can't share tiles even when you could in SMAC and I believe Civ2 cities of allies could heal you, but not in Civ 3, funny how problems exist in both, hopefully the Civ 3 support will stick around
Old December 7, 2001, 22:20   #8
BDT_Ltd@msn.com
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
or if you don't wan't to download a huge mod for 5 lines of code Add this to script.slc.
Code:
HandleEvent(CutImprovements) 'stopcrash' pre{
      if(TileOwner(location[0]) < 0){
           return STOP;
     }
}
Ok, thanks for that, but two questions. What do I open the file format (.slc) with, and where in the file do I put it?

~Thabet~
Old December 7, 2001, 22:30   #9
BDT_Ltd@msn.com
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by kaan

as for the ZOC problem, well i dont know what it comes from or how to fix it.
Are you still working on fixing it, or have you writen it off?

~Thabet~
Old December 8, 2001, 06:51   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 19:05
Quote:

Ok, thanks for that, but two questions. What do I open the file format (.slc) with, and where in the file do I put it?

~Thabet~
slc files are just text files by another name. Use any text editor program to open them. Wordpad works well if your not doing serious coding. Just dump those lines at the bottom. It doesn't really matter.
Old December 8, 2001, 08:49   #11
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

And finally if you like to continue an already existing game you have to reload slic. To do that just open the chat window by typing: '
And enter: /reloadslic

BTW if you want to make it to work in Apolyton Pack you have to edit the APOL_script.slc.

-Martin