Old December 6, 2001, 16:01   #1
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 13:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Issues with building wonders
Ok so you have just completed a wonder, and all the other civs that were trying to get that wonder will just use the production from the previous wonder to start a new one. This is really annoying because I could have been building that wonder they just switched to for 20 years or so.

Heres what I think should happen

You fail to get a wonder either:

(a) Each 'failed wonder's' production is converted to an improvement that makes sense. Like if I failed to get JS Bachs Cathedral I should get a cathedral in that city.

(b) Or just convert that production to an improvement thats NOT a wonder. Like I dont get hanging gardens, I can only convert the production to a temple/library/other improvements. I cant use it to build another wonder.

I think it makes perfect historical sense to do this. Bach wasnt told while writing great music - "sorry some other countrys musician has written great organ music, youre fired... somehow we will turn this church to an observatory for astronomers"

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old December 6, 2001, 16:23   #2
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 14:05
The problem with that is that a cathedral or whatever doesnt cost nearly as much resources as a wonder so you will loose a lot if you are forced to change from a wonder to a city improvement.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice realism for fun.
Old December 6, 2001, 16:51   #3
CharlotteCivver
Settler

Local Time: 13:05
Cleopatra is looking out the window of her palace. It has taken a thousand years, but the workers are carving the last stones that will cap a fitting tribute to their empress: the Great Pyramids.

Suddenly, the door to the throne room flys open and a page run in. The blood blushing his face and the wheezing of his breath indicate that this cannot be good news.

"My queen...." gasps the messenger, "I have just received word from Rome. Caesar just finished his own pyramid."

The unthinkable has happened. This eternal symbol of her glory has been usurped by that johnny-come-lately in a tunic. Cleopatra looks out the window again - the glory that could have been.

"Oh well, I guess a lighthouse will have to do."

Egypt had never seen such determination, but the Pyramids which had taken 1000 years to very nearly complete were completely disassembled and the world's greatest lighthouse built in their place in a mere 20 years.

A smile crossed the face of the queen. "That's what I'm talking about."

------------------
It is a little absurd when you think about it, eh?
Old December 6, 2001, 17:11   #4
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 14:05
Who cares, it more fun this way.

Besides, if it were really realistic you should be able to build your wonder whether another civ has or not.
Old December 6, 2001, 18:24   #5
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 12:05
I think being able to switch benefits the human player more. I often start the Pyramids long before Literature and switch to get the Great Library.