Old January 18, 2002, 15:01   #271
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 14:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Sad but true
Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
If you really want to maximize your score, forget about building out your civilization. Just try conquering the world as quickly as possible. On Monarchy, I scored 9283 points by conquering the world (massive mounted warrior rush as Iriquois) in 190BC. I don't think you can beat that on Monarchy by maximizing your population and infrastructure.
Yet another example of my problem with the scoring system. Firaxis went out of their way to provide more options to the "builder" gamers, and then left the scoring entirely dependant on territory and population (with happiness factored in, of course). The earlier you conquer, the better. Guess what that means? The highest scores will be ancient despot rushes.

Not that it really matters, I suppose, but it irritates me. It will, of course, continue to irritate me, because it isn't going to change. No big deal.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 18, 2002, 16:17   #272
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 12:06
Actually scoring is heavily map dependant. The highest scores come from 2050 domination disabled games on huge landmasses, even beating out the early victory bonus on tiny maps. CivFanatics GOTM2 was a perfect example of this. It was a Monarch, Large Pangaea game with domination disabled. I built up to 2050 scored 12900 and came in third place behind 2 others who also built up to 2050 (15k, 13k). That was the first "bloated" game I had played (and for good reason, took about 80 hours to play through). Now that I understand how the scoring works in such scenarios, I could probably push 20k on the same map.

Population doesn't count nearly as much as the landmass you control. The earlier you conquer/settle the world (save for that last city) the higher your final score will be. I wouldn't be suprised to see a score of 50k+ score on a Huge/Pangaea/Deity game with domination disabled. To play out that scenario would take 100's of hours though, why I haven't finished any games of that type. The highest score by early conquest is 36060, and that requires an edited map so that conquest can be achieved by 3950BC (the second turn). I'm attaching a save game if anyone wants to see how that's done, or to further test the conquest bonus by date. Just delay building the first city until the turn before the date you would like to check.

All that being said, the scoring system certainly is out of whack. Early launches, cultural, and diplomatic victories have no chance to score as well as early conquests, or bloated 2050 scores (which can be any victory type). A better way to judge is by date for each individual victory condition. Of course how to compare the different victory types is much more difficult.
Attached Files:
Old January 18, 2002, 17:03   #273
pchang
King

Local Time: 18:06
So what you're really saying is
Then the real way to maximize your score is to do the earliest possible despot rush until the AI is down to 1 city, and then settler bomb the map as rapidly as possible to get the entire map inside your cultural boundaries as quickly as possible. Then, maintain a sufficient millitary force to entirely block in the AI, set to fortify, automate all workers, allow your governors free reign, and then hit next turn over and over again until the game ends.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old January 18, 2002, 17:23   #274
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Aeson - Ahah! I thought the map size had something to do with it! Now I don't feel so bad about my highest scores vis-a-vis those 15k ones. The map size factor must be tied to the territory scoring, which as you say is the biggest factor.

pchang - pretty much, yeah.

Thus, I will henceforth ignore score, so long as I achieve "The Magnificent"

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 18, 2002, 18:17   #275
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Re: So what you're really saying is
Quote:
Then the real way to maximize your score is to do the earliest possible despot rush until the AI is down to 1 city, and then settler bomb the map as rapidly as possible to get the entire map inside your cultural boundaries as quickly as possible. Then, maintain a sufficient millitary force to entirely block in the AI, set to fortify, automate all workers, allow your governors free reign, and then hit next turn over and over again until the game ends.
Correction! All true until "allow your governors free rein." Substitute "micromanage until you can't see straight anymore, then throw the computer out the window...but check your score first."

-- Hermann

p.s. That's a "horse" expression rather than a "monarch" expression, thus "free rein." Works the other way too, I suppose.
Old January 19, 2002, 00:23   #276
gnomos
Chieftain

Re: Sad but true
Quote:
If you really want to maximize your score, forget about building out your civilization. Just try conquering the world as quickly as possible. On Monarchy, I scored 9283 points by conquering the world (massive mounted warrior rush as Iriquois) in 190BC. I don't think you can beat that on Monarchy by maximizing your population and infrastructure.
You can score a lot more points by maxing out the map. I'm on pace to score 17,300 in my current monarch game, and I'm only on 20% land mass. I think scoring 30K is definitely doable on monarch. I do think that like civ2, scoring is boosted by difficulty, the same population and land area would score more on diety.
Old January 19, 2002, 00:26   #277
gnomos
Chieftain

Re: Re: Sad but true
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Yet another example of my problem with the scoring system. Firaxis went out of their way to provide more options to the "builder" gamers, and then left the scoring entirely dependant on territory and population (with happiness factored in, of course). The earlier you conquer, the better. Guess what that means? The highest scores will be ancient despot rushes.

Not that it really matters, I suppose, but it irritates me. It will, of course, continue to irritate me, because it isn't going to change. No big deal.

-Arrian
Well, that's sort of correct as far as it goes, rushing early gets you a faster start. You need to control as much territory as you can for the longest time possible, since scoring is an average of all your turns. But ending the game early is not the best way to maximize your score. I think you can earn more points by maximizing the map than the early victory bonus yields. That's as it should be, maximizing the map is a heck of a lot of work.
Old January 19, 2002, 00:32   #278
gnomos
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
The highest score by early conquest is 36060, and that requires an edited map so that conquest can be achieved by 3950BC (the second turn). I'm attaching a save game if anyone wants to see how that's done, or to further test the conquest bonus by date. Just delay building the first city until the turn before the date you would like to check.
3950 BC? Hmmm, how do you get a unit? Ahhh, ok, you have to play expansionist, join the worker, disband the explorer for shields, then pop rush the unit. And you have to start right next to your opponent, so you can conquer him on turn 2. So the map has 2 land tiles only, for your start location and his. You go first, so you get a city, and his settler sits there unable to do anything, because you can't found a city immediately adjacent to another city (this isn't documented, but I figured this out with testing).
Old January 19, 2002, 00:40   #279
gnomos
Chieftain

Re: So what you're really saying is
Quote:
I don't think it's that linear. If you conquer everyone, then tech development is slow, and I'm scoring more points from population than from land. You need aqueducts and hospitals early to score pop points. Instead, you want to trim your opponents, settle a lot of land while keeping them viable to do your research for you. You need early contact, dominate them through tech trading while taking a lot of land. Then when you get well into industrial and have 4 turn techs you whittle them down to 1 city.

I'm not sure if it's better to have like 8 opponents or 16. With fewer opponents I think you can grab more land early, but contact will be slower, and opponents will be harder to conquer since they've had mroe time to get established. With more opponents they will own more of the map early, but you can conatact them sooner, get tech trading going, and each nation will be smaller, easier to take out. At higher difficulty levels the AI research bonuses can make tech advance much more quickly, as the different factions research different tech lines at times, leading to multiple techs appearing at the same time.
Old January 19, 2002, 00:42   #280
gnomos
Chieftain

Re: Re: So what you're really saying is
Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard

Correction! All true until "allow your governors free rein." Substitute "micromanage until you can't see straight anymore, then throw the computer out the window...but check your score first."

-- Hermann

p.s. That's a "horse" expression rather than a "monarch" expression, thus "free rein." Works the other way too, I suppose.
yes, I'm afraid micromanaging is necessary, the AI doesn't gang up workers, it spreads them all over the place. You need to focus workers on tiles you need developed to help cities grow fast.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:05   #281
Aeson
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by gnomos
3950 BC? Hmmm, how do you get a unit? Ahhh, ok, you have to play expansionist, join the worker, disband the explorer for shields, then pop rush the unit. And you have to start right next to your opponent, so you can conquer him on turn 2. So the map has 2 land tiles only, for your start location and his. You go first, so you get a city, and his settler sits there unable to do anything, because you can't found a city immediately adjacent to another city (this isn't documented, but I figured this out with testing).
Actually if you look at the savegame I posted, all you have to do is build your first city to win. This is because the AI is defeated if they dont have a city and there is no valid terrain left to build a city on. The map has 3 non water tiles; 2 mountains, and one grassland (any terrain other than mountains will do) in a diagonal (from a grid perspective) line. I'm sure the way you described would also work, but it would take 1 extra turn. Conquest victories are awarded the turn after the last AI city/settler is destroyed.

As far as scores go, territory seems to be weighted heavier than population from my experience. The faster all the territory is claimed, the higher the score will be. I am basing this on the fact that my CivFanatics GOTM was played maxing population (no pop rushing after the initial 50 horseman army was built) at all stages of the game, while the two that beat me went for faster conquests (to build up to 2050 from). At the end of the game I was scoring more per turn than the others, as my earlier "average" didn't have to be pulled up as much. The game that won, had everything conquered about 100 turns before I did, using a straight despotic rush up to that point. So they were getting the "big" turn scores for a lot longer than I was, even if their early average had to be pulled up more. Other than that our games were almost identical, it was just the timing of the conquest that made a difference. Of course finding that "sweet spot" where conquest time isn't shortened too much, while population is maximized would yeild the best results.
Old January 19, 2002, 04:24   #282
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Bravo
Old January 21, 2002, 14:34   #283
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Re: Re: Re: So what you're really saying is
Quote:
Originally posted by gnomos

yes, I'm afraid micromanaging is necessary, the AI doesn't gang up workers, it spreads them all over the place. You need to focus workers on tiles you need developed to help cities grow fast.
So what else is new in Civ?

I'm sure this has been suggested elsewhere, but it would sure be nice to be able to "group" or "gang" units to have them move and act together. I'm not looking for army bonuses, here, just a reduction in micromanagement when I have a stack going somewhere, or working somewhere.
Old January 23, 2002, 17:33   #284
Arrian
Deity

*Paging Vel, paging Vel. Vel to strategy forum, Vel to strategy forum.*

How's that compilation for part IV coming? Maybe one of us could help out, since you've dived into that Candle'bre project?

-Arrian

Old January 28, 2002, 22:21   #285
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 10:06
bump
Old April 6, 2002, 16:00   #286
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 19:06
Great work ! Must be read.

Congratulations Vel !!!!
Old April 6, 2002, 20:14   #287
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nym
Great work ! Must be read.

Congratulations Vel !!!!
That's a nice gratuitous bump there Nym.

::applause:: from FP.

three months after the last post .... impressive.

seriously though, more people should read this thread, it would solve a lot of problems for n00bs like me, and a little bump never hurt anybody.
Old April 6, 2002, 21:51   #288
~Vodka~
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:06
Wow! Great, simpley awsome guys! Hats off to you all!

Keep up the good work!

Another brilliant Idea from the think tank. Sure, why don't ya both come up. We'll put the prisioner on the honor system, have 'er guard 'erself.
Old April 7, 2002, 06:34   #289
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 19:06
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
three months after the last post .... impressive.
Yes, as you noticed I'm quite new at Apolyton
Old November 19, 2002, 12:16   #290
TommyGunn
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

New
Well, I have been reading Vel's thread (when a coworker turned me onto Part two) for a couple of weeks. The first thing, I was trying alot of the tactics describe therein. BUT didn't realize until later that it was post patch (1.06).
I have 1.29 and I must say that some of the tactics work extremely well. My current game I am playing Marla's map (still can't get the correct starting position. Invalid save file) Warlord, but I am in Norway as Americans. I sent out 3 warriors, before I built my first settler, but after that I had built me a little barrier and picked on Japan (which is STILL furious even after given him 5 techs and alot of money.)
I finally got a MPP with Russia which had a MPP with France and drop a lonely swordsman into Egypt's and sure enough they killed it (darn ) which brought in Russia and the French.

The one thing that bugs me was NEARLY EVERYONE has tanks, but me. So I send a settler with a rifleman to South America and set them right in the middle of 2 rubbers. Bam, rush build an airport and now am building a worker to get them. Once I have the rubber, Modern Armor and watch out, cause I can slam out ICBM's every 5 to 6 turns. While mass building Modern.
Old November 19, 2002, 15:49   #291
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 20:06
Boy.. the nostalgia... this thread was what made me stop lurking, and post my first post on 'poly. I just reread it, am I glad I understand the game better now It's a bit embarrasing even, some of the things I was so sure about are simply not true. What is interesting is that even in my first post here, I tried to understand culture flipping, even if I missed the point completely

After rereading many of the posts here, I can only say one thing: Vel and the others, I'm still impressed in how quickly you have put together the beginning of this strategy guide, it took me many more months to get to the same level of understanding.

DeepO
Old November 19, 2002, 16:03   #292
vmxa1
Deity

Now if Vel could get an updated one for PTW.
Old November 19, 2002, 16:54   #293
TommyGunn
Settler

I can't wait for all the updates once everyone gets 1.29 patch. I did notice that the AI is ALOT harder to deal with. It took me along time to get Russia to get to polite and after ever how many years after attacking Japan (early war) they are still furious.
Old November 19, 2002, 18:36   #294
vmxa1
Deity

Someone other than Mac users not have 129F by now?
Old November 19, 2002, 18:43   #295
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Someone other than Mac users not have 129F by now?
They should have. Unless they don't like the changes it made for some reason.

The recent threads in this forum (based on 1.29f) have been every bit as good as this one IMHO.
Old November 19, 2002, 19:51   #296
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Yeah, certainly the topped thread of Theseus, in which a collection of links is given goes a lot farther. (TommyGunn, look for that one for updated info)
But still, for this early thread to be so complete already... it still amazes me.

DeepO
Old November 19, 2002, 22:19   #297
vmxa1
Deity

I would just like to see Vel put it all together, so it is in one place and coherent. By that I mean not repleat with everyone elses interjections. Then it is easy to read and follow.
Old November 20, 2002, 07:56   #298
DeepO
Emperor

Well.. to defend my friend a little: he has a very busy life, and I don't think Civ III is high on his agenda. After all, he has his own game to produce

DeepO
Old November 21, 2002, 09:53   #299
TommyGunn
Settler

Wishes he knew more about programming. BTW, I would like to know if anybody else has a wife that hates civ iii and thinks it's ruining their marriage. :LOL:
Old November 21, 2002, 14:14   #300
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

So Tommy, your wife is ruining your marriage to Civ3 is she?