Old December 15, 2001, 12:28   #121
Hastus
Settler

Local Time: 19:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A little bit about the Americans and the Greeks.
First a question about leaders.
Is it possible to get a new leader when you already have one? When one is already sleeping at your capital for example.

This may be answered already by someone in some thread but then I have missed it. I have always used up my leaders as soon as get them when I am at war because I suspected you can not get another leader before the one you have is used.
I hope I am wrong.
Grateful for an answer to this.

Moving on. I played the Americans recently and found out that they are pretty amazing if you combine their two traits
( Expansionist and Industrious ) .
Most Expansionist Civilizations if any ( I can't remember ) do not have Industrious as a trait.
What I did was that I used my first worker to build mines around my first city,just two or three and on grassland with shields and on a cow. Since those Industrious workers build so fast I got the benefit from the mines quickly and was able to finish my granary as first build in my town without losing to much of expansion to the AI. Because when the granary is complete and since the city already got mines around it. It becomes a settler factory with speed. Quickly gaining up any lost grounds.
However this may depend if you start on a island or not.
If you start on a continent with several AI's you will be able to benefit most from this.
As speed is the essence of gameplay in the early start the Americans are able to box in their rivals quickly.
They are however weak military in the ancient times so you need to try and stay friends with all. Maybe its just still random but it feels like the AI's are more aggressive after the 116f patch.
One good thing that came with the patch is that if you are into the war in modern times, I can tell you those F-15's just rocks.

Just would like to add a note about the Greeks as well, I played them a couple of days ago and their special unit The Hop's
(I know,I can't remember the whole name ). At the game I had a medium empire compared to the most of the AI's but was able to harass and dominate the ancient era. All thanks to alot of pillaging and harrassing. The computer will quickly want to sign peace with you when his capital drops from pop 12 to pop 3 from pillaging. And they ain't very happy about attacking a unit or several with a defense of 3 standing in hills,forest,mountains etc.
Most of the time the computer did not even try to attack since he knew he would lose 4 - 5 units against 1.

As always, thanks to all who keeps posting great ideas.
Old December 15, 2001, 23:39   #122
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 18:05
midnight ramblin'....
Had a chance to organize a few additional thoughts, so I thought I'd hit ya with a ramble....

Metagame
What is it, exactly?

Depends on who you ask.

In the classic strategy game, Magic: The Gathering, the Metagame essentially meant intentionally doing what the other guy wasn't. If somebody hit you with a black speed deck, you went the opposite direction, looking for ways using white/green (black's oppositional colors) to defeat the deck and it's inevitable avalanche of copycat designs.

If somebody went creature-heavy, you whipped up an elaborate trap deck, or focused on heavy direct damage and mass-effect spells (never met a weenie deck that could stand up too well to a few well placed earthquakes or hurricanes!).

So....that's part of it, sure.

Another part of it is finding keys.

What is it, exactly, that's making the "other guy's" strategy work. WHY is it working the way it is.

Find a way to beat the key, you beat the rest of your opponent's game by default.

The metagame is, in the same breath, about changing the venue and forcing your opponents to play the game your way....on your terms, and about taking subtle control over the gaming envrionment itself. It's more than just superior strategy....it's more than excelling at tactical maneuver.....it's more than having better micromanagement skills, though all those things certainly play a role.

Ultimately, it's about control.

Finesse.

So....until a real pro comes along to show us how it's done, I'll jot down the odd bits I've been learning about it, and how to use it in Civ-terms to improve your game.

Here goes nothing....

OoO

Balance.

If you have it, and your opponents don't, you are in a stronger position, even if you have a weaker army and fewer cities.

So....keep your opponents off balance, and maintain your own center while you do it.

If you want to use the metagame to your advantage, then the first step is to understand that small moves....tiny changes made in the early game create huge imbalances later on.

This is why the "Oscillating War" paradigm works so well.

Let's do a quick compare. You start a game and find yourself surrounded by four other civs, so you immediately start gearing up for war with one of them. You do the usual stuff....REX expansion, build up an army and....thrash a civ.

You capture lots of cities, and get stronger, relative to everyone around you.

And when the last city of your target civ falls, you take a quick survey and discover that, while you've been busy kicking butt, your other near rivals have been growing and building.

Sure, you can maybe go to war again with one or more of your neighbors, but they're entrenched now. They've gotten bigger and stronger while you were culling the herd.

Compare that to fighting an Oscillating War.

In this case, you pick one of the four (the smallest, actually...the one you choked off with your REX expansion) and make him a junior partner for your festivities.

You trade with him, build up good will with him, and while you're doing that, you're plotting your attacks.

First guy, you hit like a hurricane, but with every city you take, you call him up, trying to make peace. You also invite your junior partner to participate, granting RoP and drawing him closer.

Why do you do this?

First, you do it so that one of your targets doesn't invite him to join the war on their side.

Second, you do it precisely because he IS smaller, and your troops are better positioned.

Odds are good that he'll not actually take a city anyway, and if he does, then so much the better for you.

Third, you do it as insurance. If the other civs on your contintent decide to gang-bang you....you can rely on at least one ally.

After one or two cities fall....he caves in (point: we're talking about the VERY early game....if he's only got 4 cities and you cut him in half, he WILL come to the table), and despite the AI's production advantages at the higher levels of play, he's considerably set back.

Without pausing, you immediately turn your attenion to Civ#2 on your borders and execute a repeat performance.

After a city or two, he likewise comes to the table, hat in hand.

And again, without pausing, you turn your attention to the third neighbor and repeat.

Now compare:

Same basic approach....ancient era warfare, but....instead of grabbing half a dozen cities from the same civ and delivering a single, devastating knockout blow, you grabbed two from three of your near neighbors.

Now, NONE OF THEM are in any shape to hurt you, or your junior partner.

Without actually wiping any civ off the face of the earth, you have just take firm control of the continent.

At this point, it is unlikely they could seriously threaten you even if they were to all gang up.

This, DESPITE their production advantages.

With the continent yours to command, you are free to do as you like, developmentally.

Select one civ to slowly waste, every twenty turns or so, re-declare war and eat a few more cities. On the higher levels of play, this will give you a steady supply of techs and keep you on par. By selecting one civ to target for destruction AFTER your round of warfare with all of them, you grow your empire in a singular direction....important for the eventual placement of your FP and possible palace relocation.

So that's the first step....taking firm control of the continent. Then play the surviving, weaker civs against each other, engineering wars via diplomacy....building one side up by trading favorably with them, denying others all access to your steadily growing base of resources.

Kingmaker....while you, the EMPEROR, and undisputed master of the continent sit back and enjoy the show.

Ahhh, but the fun doesn't stop there.

When contact is made with the civs on a neighboring continent, it's time to take your kingmaking games to an all new high.

Fact is, on the higher levels of play, a Democratic or Republican civ can out-pace you in reserach....

But if they're all fighting, they'll switch to Monarchy or Communism (a bit later).

And if they're all in corruption ridden government forms, then despite their production and research advantages, you can outpace them.

So you make a few friends on that far-off continent.

Engineer a few wars....HELP the AI civs get to the industrial age, where they can enter into MPP's.....watch them weave a tangled web....and then, light the match that sets off the powder keg.

Join in for a while if you like.....maybe establish a presence on yonder continent so you can exert more direct influence and control.

Or...sit back and watch as they tear each other to bits....always taking care to bolster the underdog, so that no one civ comes out clearly on top....

You keep them paralyzed at their same size and power....or cause a few of the more threatening ones to self destruct, while you grow more and more powerful with each passing turn.

Set up global trade embargoes against your targets....starve them technologically, and keep everyone at everyone else's throat, while you remain largely aloof and above it all.

THAT's the power of the metagame....

OoO

Don't get straightjacketed
A specific example of this: Don't allow yourself to become so enamored with 2-move troops that you forget about the power of combined arms.

It's true, we've had a lot of good discussion about the power of the horse-based troops, but don't let yourself get too accustomed to using that strategy....that habit could be hard to break....and keep in mind, Jeff started his thread for a reason, and the majority of posters came down pretty solidly on the power of 2-move troops....so if you get addicted to using them, and something changes with the release of the next patch, you'll suddenly find yourself having to re-learn.....

Economy
I went to school to study economics, but THOSE kinds of economics aren't exactly what I mean.

Learn to use economy in all its forms in your games.

The economy of production.....don't waste shields! None of them carry over, so watch your build queue. Micromanage. If you're going to finish that swordsman next turn, but six or eight shields would go to waste, then reallocate your production to get a bit more growth out of your city.

The economy of effort.....let your workers do the quickest stuff first. Don't tie them up on projects that will take fifteen turns when they could accomplish three other important tasks in the same timeframe.

The economy of motion.....make every move your troops and workers do ACCOMPLISH something for you.

All of these things create turn advantage, and on the higher levels of play, turn advantage is the best defense you've got when it comes to countering the AI's production.

Where possible, use the strengths of your enemies against them.

Intentionally DON'T settle in certain areas where you have extreme cultural clout. Let the quick-building AI civs found cities for you, and eat them with your superior culture.

If you want to destroy a neighboring civ....engineer a war between them and some other rival....get their army off balance and fighting another quick-building foe, and then move in surgically.....with care and precision, minimizing your troop losses, and steadily gaining ground against them.

Most of all....trust your instincts. Don't try to know every damned thing about a given situation. Learn enough so that you're not over your head, and then run with it. You're flexible, the AI is not. You can change plans in mid-stream. Use that to your advantage to create opportunites on the fly.

Good luck!

OoO

On Nukes: I have actually never built the first nuke. It's true that they could be a pretty massive stick to talk to the AI with, but if you have a strong early game, then no such stick is needed. It is possible to take such firm control of the gaming environment early on, that nukes don't even enter into the equation.

Besides that, they're *dreadfully* expensive for what they do.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Last edited by Velociryx; December 16, 2001 at 00:11.
Old December 16, 2001, 03:03   #123
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 12:05
Despotism without the Pop Rush
I feel pop rushing is unbalancing, only because food is not effected by corruption. I can often build 5-10 cities (depending on map size) that will outperform pop rushing efficiency while in despotism. The problem is that any other cities I build are substantially less efficient than they would be through pop rushing. Having corruption effect excess food production would cause pop rushing to decrease in efficiency as you expand, just as other production methods do.

Pop rushing isn't necessary to win at Deity level, and actually puts the AI at quite a disadvantage if it is used and its many other weaknesses are exploited (military, pre-patch treaties, tech trading, upgrading ect.). As it is, the AI's expansion at deity can be almost matched if done correctly. I've built cities at a 5:6 ratio a few times with comparable terrain. Militarily, the player should always have an advantage over the AI, as their tactics are no better than at lower levels. It isn't uncommon for me to have 1/5th the casualties of an AI opponent, if that. This certainly is enough to overcome the expansion and production advantages that the AI does have, and pop rushing isn't needed if you never lose troops.

As far as communism goes, I never have been able to switch to it and have it make a difference. By the time it is available, gold is so abundant that rushing infrastructure is more efficient in monarchy, republic, or democracy. Also for larger empires (50+ cities, which I have in most games by then) communism often will lower commercial rates when compared to even despotism. It turns your "good" cities into junk, while barely improving unproductive cities. Overall I think monarchy is the best government for Deity games, although if I'm not playing a religious civ I usually just stay in despotism until the game is in hand.

I would use combined arms much more often if swordsmen had something they could upgrade to. As it is, when I build a horseman, I'm actually building a knight and later a Cavalry unit. When I build a swordsman, its only a swordsman, and quickly becomes extinct even if it doesn't die. At least the catapults upgrade. It would be nice to have a middle age offensive footsoldier of some type, but even if swordsmen just upgraded to defensive units that would increase their value in relation to horsemen somewhat.
Old December 16, 2001, 03:33   #124
Aeson
Emperor

Oscillating War with the patch
I agree completely that rotating between Civs to beat upon is the best approach. Has anyone been able to do this successfully after installing the patch though? I've had AI Civs, down to their last city, still refuse to communicate for up to 30 turns. It certainly is best to weaken all your opponents instead of just one, but at the same time, its not a good idea to start a multi-front war very often. The only times I try are when the other opponents are already involved in a conflict.

A note about graneries, are they really worth it? I find I expand fastest when I don't build them. In the time it takes to build a granery, 2 settlers can be built. Would I rather have 2 more cities or a granery? With how early corruption sets in, I think graneries slow down the expansion to that limit. If I am going the pop rush route, I would rather have 2 units early than a granery and a steady stream of units later. 2 early units could very easily turn into extra cities each producing more units. They will meet with less resistance than your later units would. And more often than not, those earlier units can help lead to capturing that nice city that just built the pyramids for you, negating any long term advantages to building graneries I've never built many graneries when I play, but lately I haven't been building any at all, and doing better.
Old December 16, 2001, 12:00   #125
Black Sunrise
Prince

Quote:
in a recent (regent) game, I had 11 cavalry still sitting around next to my 50-odd modern armor. They were my elites.
One word:
Poland.

Or, if you aren't a fan of modern military history (get thee behind me!), WWII Poland.

Indra
Old December 17, 2001, 02:08   #126
Skeletal Dragon
Settler

Hey Vel, you play magic? So do I. Anyways, I see you haven't put up a review for the Greeks yet (At least, from what I've read ) So I guess I'll put up my own...

Greeks: Commercial/Scientific

Strengths: Science and money. They can stay ahead in the science and income race consistently.

Disadvantages: Needs a large empire to function effectively (being non-industrious and non-militaristic puts them at a huge disadvantage when fighting wars).

UU: Hoplite. I find this to be one of the better UUs in the Ancient Era, since the higher defense makes it almost untouchable against other units up until Swordsmen/Immortals.

Best way to play: I've found that the best way to play Greeks is to be mainly passive. In the Ancient age, your main goal is to expand quickly in the beginning (using settler and worker farms). However, when you're trying to gain more territory by trying to fight wars, its another story since the other civs will generally be out-producing and out-muscling you. Basically, fight the weaker civs until you seize a large amount of cities to fund your research and upkeep costs. After that, crank up your research and trade your techs for a large amount gpt/luxuries and buy research/culture buildings. By the end, you can win easily with the UN victory since most civs will be gracious to you by the end of the game. However, this will give you a relatively low score, so if you play for score, don't try this method.

Ok that's about it... I'll most more if I have time
Old December 17, 2001, 09:54   #127
mattcj
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:05
It'll be interesting to see some of these strategies in play when multiplayer comes out. I know I would have a military alliance with the nearest 2 or 3 civs to wipe out Vel from the start so we wouldn't have to deal with his strategies. Does the AI never team up against any of you when you play these early cripple the nearest civ games. In my current game, the AI attacked me almost immediately and my early military alliances kept me in the game and propelled my little fledgling civ into the sprawling empire it is today. It's a shame that they don't team up against those type of strategies. The AI seems so MPP driven when Nationalism (right?) is discovered, yet it seems to stay away from the military alliances (I've seen only 1 AI-AI military alliance so far).
Old December 17, 2001, 10:09   #128
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Skel Drag

Your stab at a write up of the pros/cons of the greeks is a good first stab. It would be remiss though if it didn't include guerilla tactics. The excellent hoplite unit is begging to be used as a pillager. Put one of those units in the heart land of your enemy civ and let the unit pillage to his hearts content allowing the unit to become the equivalent of Sherman's march to the sea. Let the enemy thow away his units at your hoplite, all the while your reducing his civ to rubble ensuring his inability to become a viable threat to you.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old December 17, 2001, 10:16   #129
mattcj
Chieftain

"Ogletorpe... ??"
"Oglethorpe" (--clarifying)

-- Couldn't resist... I love that movie.
Old December 17, 2001, 10:49   #130
CampedCrusader
Settler

Local Time: 21:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Sunrise

One word:
Poland.

Or, if you aren't a fan of modern military history (get thee behind me!), WWII Poland.

Indra
If I recall correctly WWII Polish Cavalry wasn't exactly sitting around WITH tons of modern armour, in fact they were trying to ATTACK tons of then modern armour.

You see the picture MAY be a little different
Old December 17, 2001, 10:57   #131
Black Sunrise
Prince

The polish calvary was indeed assisting modern armor.
They had less armor, and their calvary was actually mounted riflemen, ie a rifle unit that used forses to move from point a to point b, then dismounted and fought, but they nonetheless used both.
Or I could point out that in '39 large quantities of german artillery and especially anti-tank weapontry was still being pulled by horses.
Just something to think about.
Old December 17, 2001, 11:34   #132
Quurgoth
Settler

Civ traits and the land grab
It has been said that knowledge of the land in an area will tell you everything you need to know about its history.

*Note: I play "purist," no pop-rushing, paired cities, or such. This means I do well at Regent, mediocre at Monarch, in general.*

After playing the Americans and Egyptians in recent games, and dominating with each, I began to consider why they fared better than my forays with other civs that seem stronger on paper (Persia, Babylon, even France). I think the primary reason is that I choose maps with a high proportion of land, usually the highest land proportion in "continents" (occasionally pangea as well).

The advantages of an expansionist civ are clear in a large continent: lots of goodie huts, which translate to tons of tech and occasional extra settlers, as well as an advantage in finding and settling on critical resources and luxuries. REX is easiest for the expansive.

Almost equally obvious is the advantage of industrious civs: they can build roads rapidly, getting the aforementioned resources and luxuries tied into their network quickly. They get those crucial mines set up early, allowing for buildings in cities between production of settlers.

Less obvious, at least for me, is the advantage of an industrious/religious civ. My usual build orders are to create settler farms out of all early cities, perhaps throwing in a barracks or two. This leads, in my well-spaced purist city approach, to lots of islands of cultural envelope, with spaces between the radius of each city. Having a religious civ changed everything!

With the Egyptians, during those turns between building settlers, I was able to put temples into each city... and my cultural envelope became huge, with unprecedented freedom (in my experience) to expand out from my frontiers. Controlling even wide land bridges becomes easy when you can build a temple in 15 turns... cities can manage a cultural envelope capable of strangling even the rabbit-on-viagra AI reproduction. On the large Earth map, I was able to dominate Africa, despite a weak starting position (on the East horn, across from Saudi Arabia) and the presence of Persia and England on my continent.

Egypt also has the advantage of an early UU that is highly useful in pruning cities from rival civilizations.

Velociryx: perhaps an addition to each civ's strategy section? Something along the lines of that civilization's ideal land formations, advantages/disadvantages in REX, etc.
Old December 17, 2001, 11:38   #133
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 14:05
The patch
Well, I finally got the patch and I've gotta say that it is forcing a change in my strategy. See, I expand early on at the expense of ALL other things... my settlers get a warrior escort most of the time, sometimes nothing at all. This has allowed me to keep pace with the AI expansion for a while on Monarch, at least until I've grabbed what I want. However, with the Patch, the nasty SOB's will attack you EARLY. Really, really, early. Which means I actually have to waste time and effort on some semblance of an army while I'm still trying to put down cities. Arg.

The second thing I've noticed is tech trading. The deals seem harsher, particularly for the warrior code. I used to be able to buy that for 35 gold or so... now they don't seem to want to give it up. I'm pretty sure this ties in with the fact that the AI will attack you early on... it doesn't want you having archers. I've had similar trouble getting horseback riding out of them.

Anyway, I've only started a few games (which went badly) thus far, so I have by no means explored the patch's changes fully, but this version certainly seems harder - for my style of play. If your strategy already involved lots of ancient warfare (oscillating war, for instance), you may not change much. But I generally spend the ancient era building up and preparing for a middle ages-industrial ages breakout. The patch, in my opinion, hurts that strategy a bit, as well as weakening the Babylonians, my favorite civ.

So I guess I have to be more aggressive early on, and beat the AI to the punch, because every time I have sat back peacefully, they have attacked me. I may go back to the Persians or Iroquois for a bit, as they're better at ancient war than the Babs.

Does this jive with what you all have experienced post-patch?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 17, 2001, 11:41   #134
Skeletal Dragon
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Skel Drag

Your stab at a write up of the pros/cons of the greeks is a good first stab. It would be remiss though if it didn't include guerilla tactics. The excellent hoplite unit is begging to be used as a pillager. Put one of those units in the heart land of your enemy civ and let the unit pillage to his hearts content allowing the unit to become the equivalent of Sherman's march to the sea. Let the enemy thow away his units at your hoplite, all the while your reducing his civ to rubble ensuring his inability to become a viable threat to you.

Og
The problem is that I rarely use pillaging as a winning strategy in Civ 3. The reason? I'm going to be capturing the enemy cities and rebuilding the terrain improvements takes too much time if I'm not industrious. I'd rather capture a good quality city than a crippled city as well since it can contribute to the war effort too (Great places to stop and heal up if you don't have Battlefield medicine, or to build additional troops). If I end up razing the city, I start to over-extend myself since there would be no places for my forces to regroup.

This is why I have a problem with Bombardment in its current stage. It hits city improvements and civilians way too much, and doesn't hit defending units as much as I want them too. Usually, if I bombard them out and then attack them, the city would usually be size 1-3 with no city improvements whatsoever. And this is from trying to hit the defenders so that my attackers can get through with minimal damage (Prime example is a large city with Infantry defenders with veteran Cavalry attackers with no strategic terrain... it's very hard to hit the infantry.).
Old December 17, 2001, 11:49   #135
Quurgoth
Settler

Post patch expansion
Arrian: I'm sure you've considered this, but military strength is a large factor in the AI decision to attack or not.

Build more cheap units, give the appearance of strength, and you should be able to get out of the ancient era without getting attacked.

In a few of my early iterations with Egypt, I got attacked too often. The next run through, I built a number of chariots... and not only was I left alone, I was eventually an aggressor.

This does hamper the REX, warrior/settler strategy (which I also follow). It requires having at least one city to crank out units with regularity. Toward that end, I usually put my fifth (or so) city in a low-food area among hills, mine/road the hills, and let that city crank out my military.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:15   #136
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quurgoth,

Yeah, I'm aware of how the AI calculates relative military strength and thus whether or not to attack. I also think it's silly to equate 10 warriors to 10 Tanks, but hey, that's the way it works. Anyway, tonight I definitely plan to crank out some more units in the ancient era. However, if I'm gonna build 'em, I'm gonna build top-o-the-line veterans and go bonk some heads. It seems like a waste of time and effort otherwise. This may also mean a change in my tech choices early on. I normally beeline for literature, but depending on the civ I'm playing, Ironworking or Horseback Riding may be worth the wait.

Anyway you cut it, I think the patch greatly increases the likelyhood of ancient war (though I often fought them anyway). What surprised me was just how early the AI will come at you. I was shocked the first time it happened. They didn't even demand anything (which the AI will also do with increased frequency now). All of a sudden, I was being attacked by warriors and archers. It really caught me off guard, which is the point, of course...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:39   #137
Quurgoth
Settler

Defensive expansion
I think the non-military expansion is still possible and worthwhile, even if you do have to keep up with the unit count... especially if workers still count toward total unit numbers.

Question: were you attacked by militaristic civs?

To be honest, I usually set my AI opponents manually, and I leave off any of the highly aggressive civs. I don't like early era war much, and the military civs can cripple whoever is closest.
Old December 17, 2001, 13:03   #138
Arrian
Deity

Hmm, I was attacked by the Germans (militaristic, yes), Zulu (yep), and a couple of others I can't recall, to be honest, though I'm fairly certain there were some non-militarists in there. I always allow the computer to pick my opponents. Frankly (at least pre-patch), I'd rather be next to a bunch of militarists, because they tend to do a bad job of running their empires and also tend not to shoot for the Great Library, whereas I do - and often get it when there are militarists around me.

As for just punching out workers and warriors to keep the unit count up there... well, I suppose one could do that, but I think a better use of one's resources would be to build some vet. archers or horsemen/swordsmen and attack. It all depends. If you start in a veritable paradise and just wanna be left alone long enough to get your empire up and running, sure, build those warriors and hope the AI mistakes them for a real army. Sometimes, though, it makes sense to attack, and the changes make in AI aggression in the patch tip the scales toward fighting early.

-Arrian

Old December 17, 2001, 13:10   #139
pchang
King

Post Patch
War Mongers like myself have had very little to change post patch. Yes, AIs are more demanding when it comes to trading and more belligerent when it comes to fighting, but overall the aggfressive early war strategy still works. You just have to be a bit more careful when attempting to vassalize the AI that you don't cripple him beyond usefulness. One alternative to taking too many cities is to start pillaging his improvements instead. This will get him to the peace table with less cities lost.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old December 17, 2001, 15:33   #140
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 10:05
I have been having some torruble expaning early in the game on Monarch level games. I have no problems beatting the game at regent level. I was see if anyone has any tips. I have read what vel had to say about early expansion, but I was just wondering if anyone else has things they do that work really well for them. I would really appericate any feedback.
Old December 17, 2001, 21:55   #141
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yeah, thats been my experience too. For the past 10 or so games, ive just been playing with the only goal to improve my REX. That was a success, but unfortunately i was soon at war and pathetically under-armed. Time for my next test game

Heres something strange though.
I was testing the Aztecs, and found that their JWs are fairly decent. A very BAD starting position for Aztecs however is starting next to the Zulus... A defence 2 move 2 unit is an Aztecs worst nightmare - it completely removes the retreat ability!!
Anyway, i did eventually destroy them, and the Chinese (who had swordsmen by the time i got past the Zulus ). Once my island was secure, i started mass-producing ships and settlers. I had about 7 cities.

Well, i expanded from my main island, taking over most of the available free space. When i had around 16 cities i switched to Republic.

Now for the weird thing: Once i switched to Republic, i was running at a deficit. Most of my cities had 2 defenders, and my main island had an attacker per city too. 61 gold maintenance. So i removed all the attack units, and only had 1 defender per city. Still losing money. I put science down, 40%, 20%, 10%, 0%. Still losing money. No luxury spending either!! Was before marketplaces, but that sort of thing has never happened to me before!!
Old December 18, 2001, 12:58   #142
pchang
King

corruption
You were probably losing too much commerce to corruption. Try building the FP somewhere off your main Island. If you cannot do this, you will have to switch to monarchy. Do not disband military units unless it is a last resort. If you are weak, the AI will attack you en masse.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old December 18, 2001, 14:16   #143
Arrian
Deity

Long live the Babs
Shaky,

You and I seem to have been experiencing similar problems. Keep up with the AI in the early land grab, or defend yourself properly... which to choose? Well, last night I decided it's gotta be the latter of the two.

I've got a good game going now, though I should mention that the first hut I popped was a settler, so that clearly helped. Still, Babylon isn't in that great of a spot (no river, no specials, just a bunch of shielded grassland). I built only 7 cities in the "land grab" phase (normal map). This was partly due to the geography, which boxed me in, but also afforded easy defense. So I set about building wonders and cranking out some spearmen and horsemen. Result: Colossus + Great Library = tech parity + golden age (still despotic, unfortunately). This lead to the usual suspects: Sistine/Sun Tzu/Copernicus/Newton, etc. I should also mention that I swallowed my pride and paid a little bit of tribute once or twice.

I essentially fell into the "oscillating war" phenomenon. The Zulus demanded things from me, while they were fighting the Persians. I had built up LOTS of horsemen in preparation for upgrading to knights (importing iron from guess who... Shaka), and Xerxes was happy for my help. So I got into a tussel with my main man Shaka, losing several of my horsemen to impis
Having hurt them badly and gaining iron and two lux. items in the process, I took a break, but they picked another fight and I and several other vulture nations finished them off. Then Persia. This one I started. They had to go, as they had a city that cut my empire in two. Plus...they were there. Then came the title bout: The Japanese. They were freakin' HUGE. They had crippled China while I was building wonders and such, and had gotten truly frightening. I think I got a glimpse of the AI's new tendancy to gang up on the Top Dog, however, as EVERYONE IN THE WORLD joined in on my side for... the secrets of medicine. The Samurai hurt my Cavalry bit, but my armies are at the gates of Kyoto now. I saved it (at just past 4 this morning *yawn*) in 1660, and I had just used a leader (3rd I've gotten) to rush Hoover.

Anyway, I think those of us that play "peaceful builder" can still have a peaceful early game, albeit a heavily armed peace. I got sucked into war (zulus) before I felt I was ready, but it was probably a good thing. I tend to wait until I have overwhelming force... and sometimes that takes too darn long.

One side note: if you play with the "friends moves" shut off, BEWARE SNEAK INVASIONS. My war w/Japan began with me noticing 15 samurai sitting next to one of my cities and politely demanding they get the hell out. Thank goodness for railroads (and Cav).

-Arrian

Old December 18, 2001, 14:17   #144
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Brother Og! Long time no see, man! And how the heck are ya?!

TOTAL agreement about the Greeks, btw! The Hoplite is rather akin to a "reverse swordsman," and can be used to devastating effect very early on in the game.

Consider:
You discover that one of your rival civs already has access to iron/horses, even if they don't have the tech for it yet (remember, you're the scientific Greeks, one tech from Iron working). So....you can't very well deny him access, but....you can build a Hoplite and plop your greek butt down on the resource tile (severing the road if one exists)....if your rival threatens you, go ahead and DoW....iron is either going to be in hill country or in the mountains, which means your sturdy 3 defense Hoplite will have a decided advantage if attacked...even if attacked by a swordsman!

And, once you have stripped your rival of the ability to build anything better than bowmen, you can leisurely make your own crew of sword/horse and come in to relieve him of his empire....

Aztec/Zulu Grudge Match: One thing tho....as SOON as you see Zulu borders, wreck 'em! Remember that they don't have the ability to make Impis from 4000BC, which gives you an (admittedly somewhat small) window of opportunity for first strike. Even if you were planning on hitting someone else first, if you see Zulu colors, change your plans! (also....from a cost/benefit compare, you're still exactly evenly matched....sure, theirs are better, but they also take twice as long to build!).

I *really* like the idea of adding civ-specific expansion notes to the articles (which I'll be getting back to TODAY!)....excellent call there! Okay....heading out to do some writing!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 18, 2001, 14:23   #145
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Sunrise
The polish calvary was indeed assisting modern armor.
They had less armor, and their calvary was actually mounted riflemen, ie a rifle unit that used forses to move from point a to point b, then dismounted and fought, but they nonetheless used both.
Or I could point out that in '39 large quantities of german artillery and especially anti-tank weapontry was still being pulled by horses.
Just something to think about.

Check out http://www.militarygameronline.com/tanks/ and click on the Polish flag to see the tanks and tankettes Poland had at her disposal during the German invasion.
Old December 18, 2001, 19:04   #146
DFHNY
Settler

Quirks/problems w/ gameplay
Dear Vel and others as good as Vel, et al:

My friend who plays Civ3 and is much better than I am asked that I post the following questions/problems to see if you face the same one or have any suggestions:

Hi. Let me say that I'm a bit upset about several things, and several hours/days of playtime somewhat ruined by features I just can't understand why you have in the game, so if I sound angry, forgive me. .... Anyway, on to the questions.

Ok, in no particular order:

1. Can't Upgrade to Cossaks. How come you can't upgrade a knight into a cossack when playing the russians?? Other units are upgradeable, or become upgrades - i.e. panzers became modern armor. If a unit is your special unit, meaning it takes the place of whatever everyone else has, then it's what you are, it's what is natural to you and your people, and when you develop to the point that you
can make/train them to be that, then the earlier person/thing would naturally just become the new one at upgrade, the same for anything else.

2. AI Cheats, And How. When you play the game, it should be played by all parties, all the civs you are fighting, as though they really are a civ, and have the abilities of another civ, nothing more and nothing less. But for some reason you have made the AI running the other civs able to, for lack of a better word, cheat. Let me give you several examples. I have 12 cities. They have no ability to know what I am doing in, or what units are around, one of my older, home-area cities. I decide to move the garrison unit out.
Immediately there is an enemy unit right near by to go in and take the now undefended city, because somehow the AI knows what I'm doing there. There is no possible way it could know what's going on there - and I of course have no way of knowing what the other civ's are doing in their cities beyond the borders - but somehow it does in fact know. I've tested this by
saving a game, moving a unit out, and watching an enemy unit magically appear to take the city. I've then gone back and not moved my unit out, but done everything else exactly the same, and that unit never appears. I've even seen the AI move a unit in two totally different ways, depending on what I did with a unit in a city he was more than 9 squares away from,
with no way of knowing what I did. It cheats. Along these same lines, you have made the AI able to cheat at production. Let's say he lands a bunch of units right next to my city. My turn comes and I change production from
whatever I was building into a military unit, say a spearman. And the changeover is complete, meaning I'd already produced way more shields than necessary for a spearman so it will come right away. I still have to wait until the next turn for it to appear - at the end of my turn he attacks me, wins the city, and my spearman never materializes. HOWEVER, if the reverse
happens, I land near him, and during his turn he changes production, the SPEARMAN APPEARS right then and there! And he was not able to draft or any of that, I thought of that. Why does the AI have the power to insta-build like that, during the turn itself, without having to wait until the next turn for the unit to actually appear there. The AI cheats. Another example is building Wonders. I was building a wonder for 50 turns. When I
got to two turns left before completion, the AI built it in another city. So, I went back to a saved game and changed around my production in the city and now it would be ready three turns before it was before. But Bam! the AI had the rival civ re-do it's own production to still beat me! It
could not know I'd done what I'd done, but somehow, magically, it did. I even tried waiting until I was only about 10 turns away, then changing production mid-stream to get more shields, and clearing a forest. The AI changed it's production yet again to still beat me. It cheats. I'd really like to understand why the game designers wouldn't want the game to be fair all the way
around. ALL civs, human played or AI played, should be bound by the same rules, the same abilities, dont' you think? The difficulty level comes by making the AI play BETTER, not by making it cheat. (At least, that's how it should be no?)

3. Non-Random Combat System. Why is the combat system not random? What I mean by this is that the game has a set decision for how a fight will work out, and it never deviates, no matter what you do. Let me describe: I have three swordsmen around one city, each in a different square. All three are jungle squares though - not that it matters, I'm attacking, not defending. Two are veterans and one is elite. I attack with the elite and win, losing going down to yellow bar with one hp missing from the top. I then attack with a veteran. After getting the defender down to just one red hp left, the swordsman dies. I decide to redo the fight. (In civ2, each time a fight started, it was a new fight. really. outcomes and duration and all
that were randomly generated each and every time you attacked, not just once for all time, every time that piece attacked the other piece, if you know what I mean.) Anyway, I load up the saved game and attack again, this time starting with the veteran. Lo and behold, he wins the fight that the elite had won before, and he wins it in EXACTLY the same way. The fight
goes exactly the same way, my unit and the defender losing the exact same hp's at the exact same points in the battle as the elite had done it, and the veteran ends up with a yellow bar missing one hp point, just like the
elite did. So, I've now won the first battle both with the veteran, and the elite, and the computer did it IDENTICALLY. So, I attack with the veteran this second time around, and BAM! it loses in exactly the same way the veteran lost the first time! He beats the defender down to one red hp,
then loses all the rest and dies! The game had made one calculation and now it sets it for every time they fight, even if the game is reloaded and the fight never happened yet! How is that possible? Why isn't every single fight it's own randomly generated fight? And goodie huts work the same
way, you can reload and go over the hut again and again and it will ALWAYS give you the same exact thing. But if you skip it and move to an adjacent square, then hit the goodie hut the next turn, it's different. (Of course, if you hit it again and again that second time, it's always the same again.
Meaning it's always bronze working the first time, and always maps the second way, if you wait a turn to hit it.) Why? Combat especially shouldn't be predetermined like this.

4. Hurt Pieces Suffer. Also in line with the above cheating concept, it seems to me from my anecdotal experience that the game gives a real bonus to it's own pieces when you are even marginally hurt. I have, for example, an elite longbowman, attacking a regular spearman in a city. My longbowman is
almost in perfect health, he's green with just the very top hp missing. He loses the fight. Badly. And this happens all the time. It's as though if you aren't at total 100% strength, you lose your power. And, of course, the AI defensive units seem to be much stronger than my defensive units. He comes in and destroys my spearman (defense 2) with his attacking warriors (attack of 1) and horsemen (attack of 2), which both are fighting
at a disadvantage. But when I come in with swordsmen or longbowmen or knights, I lose against the very same spearmen. Badly. That smacks of cheating again.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I have a feeling I started getting angry during that and it gave a tone that probably isn't helpful. For that I apologize. I'm just so frustrated from spending so many days and hours playing only to be victimized by what appear to be really strange choices made by the game designers when they created the AI and the game.
Old December 18, 2001, 19:48   #147
Aeson
Emperor

I haven't checked, but can Russian Knights be upgraded to Calvary? If so it's not such a big problem. But if Russian Knights can't be upgraded at all, because of the UU, then that penalizes them for actually having the UU in many cases.

As far as cheating by the AI, the production cheating is even at regent level, and at lower levels actualy "cheats" for the player. The knowlege of the unseen map is a little 'iffy in my opinion. On one hand, it gives the AI a bit of an advantage in some situations. On the other hand, it allows for manipulation of AI forces by the player. I think once you figure out the AI's tendancies, this can be a powerful exploit in destroying the AI. just move your garrison units out of the city on the other side of the world, and you've negated the whole of the AI's offensive capability for several turns. Once the AI gets close to your undefended city, move the garrison units back in, and they'll most likely pick another target, wasting even more turns.

I just wish they would implement one more difficulty level, name it Yougottacheat. Give the AI double the production bonus they get at deity, and/or a combat bonus. This would be a true challenge for even those who use every trick in the book against the AI, while not hurting those who choose to play at lower difficulty levels with more valid strategies. As it stands now, Deity on some map settings is just laughable (once you figure out the AI's tendancies), and on most its winnable much of the time.
Old December 18, 2001, 20:36   #148
Velociryx
staff

Hey there! Lemme see if I can do these questions justice:

1) Cossacks: Appear at the end of the upgrade branch for that type of unit. Since Cossacks are a variant of Cavalry, and each civ's uu replaces an existing unit (cossacks take the place of cav), knights have nothing to upgrade to. Something I'm workin' on fixing in the mod I'm proposing....

2) Yep....the AI is both all-knowing and capable of faster builds than you. You're not imagining it as far as I've seen....no fix for it that I'm aware of, either.....just one of the advantages given to the AI (at all levels, as far as I can tell)

3) Random Number seed. The results are pre-determined before the fight even begins....essentially you're just watching the show when the units slug it out....their grunting and clanging have nothing to do with the results of the combat. However, skipping the turn and attacking on the following round will yield different results (new random number).

4) I have seen some evidence of this, but am not able to quanitfy to what degree you may or may not "lose power" but I too have noted that if I'm attacking or defending with a damaged unit (even an elite) his performance is invariably "off" what I would normally expect from that unit at full health.

-=Vel=-
Old December 18, 2001, 23:13   #149
Velociryx
staff

An invitation:

I've been laying the groundwork for a Mod over in the general section, and invite everyone who comes here to post their ideas and discuss strategy in general to have a look at the thread. The hope is that we can create a mod for the game that will foster an even greater array of truly strategic choices.....at least, that's what I'm working for....

Key things being introduced:

* A dramatic increase in the strength of barbarians

* A fleshed out tech-tree (keep in mind that we only have eleven open tech slots to play with, so there's a very real limit on what we can do here) - Especially in the Ancient Age, my goal is to make each and every tech advance valuable (giving some tangible benefit), and to increase the number of strategic beelines open to players in the early era.

* A slight modification to unit strengths (including artillery).

* A new class of units (pop-point dependent) (Mercenaries)

* Some (at least three) new government types (so far we have Theocracy, Constitutional Monarchy, and a few others, with no official name at this time and not much fleshing out yet). I'd also like to see at least one "Modern/Futuristic" type of government.

*Earlier scouts and sea-worthy ships, increasing the value of the age of sail

And....a whole lotta other stuff....

Join me?

-=Vel=-
Old December 19, 2001, 09:47   #150
Ozymandous
Prince

Hi Vel,

Question or two.

1. Do you plan to, or even can you add units to an existing tech? I haven't looked at the editor except one breif time, but it would be *very* nice to add a unit or maybe building to some of the tech's that seem to be filler. This is especially prevelant when researching "Corperation", "Refining" and "Steel". You can't tell me that some important technologies or units didn't evolve from those innovations yet we get nothing from them in the game except the ability to research more? What's up with that.

2. Have you looked in the thread started by Jeff Morris? In that thread someone documented how they made warriors, swordsmen and ironclad's obsolete/upgradeable by using the editor as well.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.