SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 20:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The micro-manager tool
The micro-manager tool

I will explain how should the micro-manager tool work so that it fits me:

The thing that annoys me is that I have to remember many details that I plan to do:
I want to switch the shield production in Paris from 3 to 2 two turns later so that shields are not lost,
I have the plan how to manage WLTpD days in a cluster of cities, (with many rushbuilds of needed improvements, workers relocating etc.),
(I plan the settler will mine a hill for 5 turns, then go to the coast and embark. But he must rehome in Paris when moving to the coast.)
etc. etc.

It is tiring to remember all such details, especially if I break the game for one week.
I see two possible tools:

I imagine your tool (as described in you post 11-12-2001 19:03) as a page composed from lines, where every line represents one city. You could add the 3rd dimension to represent years.
How to realize steps between years? You could remove all the AI units from the game so that the AI don't mess the situation, then you would let the Civ2 program to process the next turn and you would grab the position again. And so on.
You could remember all the player's plans in every year(done by standard Civ2 interface or by your utility). Later in real turns you would realize player's plans automately (You could give some warnings if an outside reason causes the plan cannot be hold - for example if the AI occupies a needed square).

Probably simpler would be a reminder tool. Formerly I noticed a demand about a memo and bookmarks attached to units and cities in the Player interface suggestions for Civ3. I posted a post there that describes a little bit more sophisticated system.
The problem is that bookmarks not attached to the map would be few useful and so you would have to make your own copy of the map. (I can't realize how to identify items on the Civ2 map from the outside) But there is a Civ2 clone named CivEvolution with free source code, its map could be used...

Last edited by SlowThinker; May 25, 2002 at 20:08.