Old December 7, 2001, 02:29   #1
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 14:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Water Rights
Is terraforming offensive?
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=7804
That thread brought to mind something I do when I can:
Steal rivers by re-routing them .

Raise land in its path to block its flow, or lower land to pull it another direction. Raising land will probably cause complaints if it's being done near your borders. Lowering land hardly ever does because it (usually) doesn't cause cross-border elevation changes.

Anybody else do this specifically to steal the river from a neighbor?
Old December 7, 2001, 03:47   #2
Basilisk
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Can't say that i've ever done that.. seems like far too much effort... If I wanted another river I would just 'Drill to Aquifer,' and voila.. a river! Much easier, and less complicated in my opinion
Old December 7, 2001, 03:52   #3
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 13:07
I kinda like it. True, you can always drill to get your own river, but this way, you're also denying THEM a river... and if your base is to the west, changing the terrain could lead to better rainfall on your side...
Old December 7, 2001, 05:59   #4
MariOne
King

Local Time: 20:07
Original idea!
When I had to raise my land in a game, I also cared to do it so that a short river became the Amazon, being forced to flow to the opposite shore.
But I never considered (or had the occasion) to do it "aggressively". Thx.

Basilisk, remember also that:
- if that river is already flowing there, you'd have to drill your new one 1 tile away from it
- altering altitude requires 12 formerturns work, while drilling costs 18. Thus it's the opposite as you say, derouting an existing river is actually 33% LESS *effort* than drilling a new one (altiforming has a *cost* in ec tho)

Of course I assume that usually you don't "just want one more river anywhere", but you find useful to have one river in a *specific* area, where your workers (or your energy park) can benefit of it.
Old December 14, 2001, 18:09   #5
niteowl
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MariOne
Original idea!
When I had to raise my land in a game, I also cared to do it so that a short river became the Amazon, being forced to flow to the opposite shore.
But I never considered (or had the occasion) to do it "aggressively". Thx.

Kinda off topic but kinda along those same lines...

How much can you raise the elevation of the same land square? Is it possible to terraform the "Grand Canyon" into "Mount Everest"? Then drill to aquifier at the top of this massive mountain you've built.
Old December 14, 2001, 18:33   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:07
yes you can raise a square multiple times ( up to 3 ??)but once it is higher than surrounding terrain, the ec of the lifting will increase to reflect the larger number of other squares that will be raised.

But from a terraforming point of view, the quickest method is to pull the peaks. I don't know if its PRACTICAL terraforming but it creates some very high energy squares to build such a mountain

There are no negative elevation land squares but in theory you could raise a deep sea trench until it became coastal shelf and then raise that out of the water by raising adjacent land squares and then raise it to be a mountain peak. Personally thats too much work and the most I might do is raise it enough to use tidal harnesses.
Old December 14, 2001, 18:47   #7
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
yes you can raise a square multiple times ( up to 3 ??).
You can raise it until its elevation is is 3000 of more (the highest elevation bracket is 3000 to 3500 meters)
Old December 14, 2001, 19:15   #8
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:07
so i guess it was right that the most a land square can be raised is 3 times unless searises lowers its elevation of course.