Old December 7, 2001, 02:53   #1
VDmitry
Settler

Local Time: 18:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Years of Civilization and ... what is result?
I have last my favor about Civilization. Yes of course, some of new ideas look wonderfull, but...

- Too bad when game discard old rules of "zones of control". The game more last than win about it.

- Also with units in one square have attacked. Even in Alpha Centauri this were more realistic and playable.

- Defense now is harder. I remember Civ 1, where City Walls gain a bonus +200%. Walls were rare because of cost, but cityes with Walls usually were taken only by siege. And what's means "siege" now?

- How about sinking of ships without ships? This may be will kill multiplay. Even coastal fortresses are useless.

- And what about cultural assimilation (and "resistors" revolution)? No way to safe your army, no way to do something - only message is writing to you. It's cool feature, isn't it?

- In other hands - what about assimilation across ocean, noy only at borders? This application of culture is looking dead.

- Espionage. Hm... It's may be good that there is not any spy units in game now. But what is that? This turn I have information about this city, and next turn I haven't anything, even old report. What's wonderfull implementation...

- I have not many usefull things. I do not know when my rivals get revolution, learn any advance. I cannot quickly see possibility for trade for resources or science. There is not any simple and fast method of this.

- I like to see slaves in civ where you take rivals workers to work at you borders. But what in their future? This conception is hardly not developed.

- Years of civilization series. But even now most trouble in your kingdom is revolution that simply takes some turns. Yes, of course, this is not very good time for your civilization but WHERE POWER of CIVIL WARS for example. WHERE?
Old December 7, 2001, 03:01   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 12:07
Agree
With several titles under their belt, and other titles to look and analyse, do the folk at fixaris decide to keep all those things that worked while bringing in their revolutionary ideas? NO! It seems that the team tried to erase the entire Brian Reynolds era as far as they could, and that was not the wisest thing to do.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old December 7, 2001, 03:34   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:07
tbs games are dead
Old December 7, 2001, 03:41   #4
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 19:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
tbs games are dead
*Shrug* I still brush off my old Panzer General titles every so often.

But,

Long Live RTS!
Old December 7, 2001, 06:19   #5
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Local Time: 18:07
Quote:
Defense now is harder. I remember Civ 1, where City Walls gain a bonus +200%. Walls were rare because of cost, but cityes with Walls usually were taken only by siege. And what's means "siege" now?
You have to be ****ing kidding me! Theres hundreds of defense modifiers, even on plains! and there are no attack bonuses.

Quote:
I cannot quickly see possibility for trade for resources or science. There is not any simple and fast method of this.
Press F2 for lwhat resources can be traded