Old December 7, 2001, 04:26   #1
ElBone
Settler

Local Time: 18:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
conquest rocks
Jeez, I have been playing a lot of civ3, but never really embarked on a conquest game... and man, this is the most fun I've had with civ3. No UN bs, no culture victory, no space... large map, it's each for themselves! The long term balance of the game really starts to show more.

I have been lucky that the largest civ in this game is India, myself firmly in 2nd, and the "middle tier" civs have kept Ghandi at war for a non-stop 2 centuries straight! He is huge though, I am very lucky... but the kewlest part is eventually it's gonna be me and him... monster war, gonna be huge! (China/India... would be a huge war in real life too, wow).

The more I play Civ3, the better it seems. I was kinda down on it at first a wee bit (the AS bug especially), but am impressed with it, I must say.

Cheers.

Bone
Old December 8, 2001, 00:43   #2
LeaninCowboy
Settler

Local Time: 12:07
That does it! Im gonna start a new game of Conquest right now!
Old December 8, 2001, 01:30   #3
Asharak
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:07
Always good to have a few war-stories to trade around the campfire, eh? Not really my style, though. Personally, I have a lot of fun micro-managing peaceful Civs -- I like outmanuevering the AI through tech and commerce, and with Civ3's addition of Culture, it just got even more fun!

At some point, though, I'm definitely gonna have to play a conquer-the-world game, just for the heck of it. I mean, its fun to say 'I won the Space Race' or 'the UN named me Secretary-General', but really, what is more fun that declaring YOURSELF winner as you stand over the battered and bloodied bodies of your former foes?

Well... that's about all I've got to say on that topic. Good luck with your conquering, and thanks for posting a modest, non-inflammatory, actually Civ-related thread.

- Ash
Old December 8, 2001, 05:25   #4
Venger
King

Local Time: 12:07
Re: conquest rocks
Quote:
Originally posted by ElBone
Jeez, I have been playing a lot of civ3, but never really embarked on a conquest game... and man, this is the most fun I've had with civ3. No UN bs, no culture victory, no space... large map, it's each for themselves!
I see your testicles have descended and you're ready for a REAL game of Civ. No sissy culture win, no namby pamby spaceship, no useless pantywaist UN - no, you've graduated to the big leagues of manly comportment. Congratulations, and welcome to my world...

Quote:
The long term balance of the game really starts to show more.
Oh I don't know about that...but I'm glad you're liking it.

Quote:
I have been lucky that the largest civ in this game is India, myself firmly in 2nd, and the "middle tier" civs have kept Ghandi at war for a non-stop 2 centuries straight! He is huge though, I am very lucky... but the kewlest part is eventually it's gonna be me and him... monster war, gonna be huge! (China/India... would be a huge war in real life too, wow).
I started playing again after the patch - year is 1860. I've already had the real big war, me versus the Aztecs, but now I have to cross the ocean and attack the large continent. I have taken a foothold on two sides by attacking the Germans and making peace. As I consolidated, I began shipping units over en masse (I have about 150 tank units and 100 mech inf, plus about 50 artillery) to prepare for my next phase against the Germans. When all of a sudden, the damn Russians declare war on me!! Stupid really, because my transports were navigating along the Russian coast en route to Germany at the time, so they simply made a beeline for the shore and grabbed a toehold along three Russian cities. Along with my previous foothold spot, I have attacked the Russians and taken 12 cities this turn - a massive blitzkrieg - and the turn isnt over. I took a coastal city that will allow another transport to dock with another 8 modern armor.

I wanted to declare peace but that fat Russian Cow won't even talk to be, despite sacking her capital THREE times.

I also took two English cities in the south (they and the French had a mutual defense treaty). This gave me Incense, and along with the Gems I got from a Russian city up north, I have 7 more happy faces in each city with a marketplace.

Quote:
The more I play Civ3, the better it seems. I was kinda down on it at first a wee bit (the AS bug especially), but am impressed with it, I must say.
Nothing like ruling the world is there...

Venger
P.S. Can't wait to see my final score...
Old December 8, 2001, 06:42   #5
ElBone
Settler

Local Time: 18:07
It's real interesting now. Stupid Persia, over 1k points behind us, nuked India (dumb move), and then me, but I had orbital defense and didn't get any of them (lucky!). India not so lucky. Great timing for Ghandi too, as I had just delivered 8 transports of mech and arty to my planned Indian invasion points, and it's a long trip... DOH!

Trippy game, everyone has everything and huge armies and nukes. After Ghandi and I get done with Persia, it's gonna be wild to see how these large armies work out. So many units. I have a fear of a never ending stream of indian mech, even though I have lots too.

One thing I noticed as my own warfare has picked up is Ghandi has several armies and lots of elite units from the centuries of war, and I don't, for lack of warfare. I could pay for this.

I'm actually considering attacking India right now, while he is engaged with persia and doesn't expect it... not sure tho.

Trippy.

bone